Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deftones have a new album called "Gore" coming out on April 8th of this year

This is the first single from the album, called Prayers/Triangles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAmt6zN9vOk

It's on the more ambient side of their sound, imo very reminiscent of Chino's other project Crosses. I have good expectations for this album as I like the last one Koi No Yokan a lot and still play it all the time.

Also here is a tracklist for the new album, note that there is a guest appearance from Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains

1. "Prayers/Triangles" 3:37
2. "Acid Hologram" 4:02
3. "Doomed User" 5:33
4. "Geometric Headdress" 3:54
5. "Hearts and Wires" 6:09
6. "Pittura Infamante" 3:01
7. "Xenon" 3:11
8. "(L)MIRL" 1:45
9. "Gore" 4:28
10. "Phantom Bride" (featuring Jerry Cantrell) 7:16
11. "Rubicon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well they haven't released a bad album yet so looking forward to this. Sergio switching to a six string should be interesting and Prayers is a pretty good song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Loved KNY and I love Prayers/Triangles too, so I expect I'll love this one. I've seen them live 3 times, the most recent being in August, and hopefully I'll get to see them play this new material live at some point too.

Also that song Smile from Eros (the last album they recorded with Chi before his accident but shelved) that they put out a couple years ago loving ruled, and Chino said they are going to release it at some point, so I can't wait to hear that whole thing whenever it comes out. It was originally going to come out after Saturday Night Wrist, but then Chi had his accident so they shelved it and started working on Diamond Eyes instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6MpIowpCc4

RIP Chi :smith: It really sucked what happened to him. I was really hoping he'd pull through. But hopefully they'll release Eros and it'll be a nice memorial to him.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 18, 2016

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
This is great. I love how this band has grown, matured and stayed relevant compared to so many other late 90's rock bands (which I stopped listening to around 2002). Matured in sound and complexity, but never lost the emotional intensity.

Take my money.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

C'mon tour dates!

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I'm diggin' it. If Gore is more like the Team Sleep project with a dash of Deftones then it'll be one of my favorites for sure. They're incredible live and no album has disappointed me. Consistent as all gently caress these guys are.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Loved KNY and I love Prayers/Triangles too, so I expect I'll love this one. I've seen them live 3 times, the most recent being in August, and hopefully I'll get to see them play this new material live at some point too.

Also that song Smile from Eros (the last album they recorded with Chi before his accident but shelved) that they put out a couple years ago loving ruled, and Chino said they are going to release it at some point, so I can't wait to hear that whole thing whenever it comes out. It was originally going to come out after Saturday Night Wrist, but then Chi had his accident so they shelved it and started working on Diamond Eyes instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6MpIowpCc4

RIP Chi :smith: It really sucked what happened to him. I was really hoping he'd pull through. But hopefully they'll release Eros and it'll be a nice memorial to him.

Awesome. Ever since I've heard the B-Sides & Rarities I'm always looking for more unreleased stuff from these guys. Anymore hidden gems that have flew under the radar?

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

It seems Steph is not really into it anymore :( https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...new_record.html

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
In this interview, he seems kind of all over the place in general. He's been really into djent (sorry for the label, buddy) and implies that's the direction he wants his own sound to be going, but also said that he hasn't been practicing at all and his skills have been deteriorating, which is weird for a subgenre that's been more associated with guitar virtuosity than anything since the Yngwie Malmsteen shred fad. He's been laser-focused on loving around with his Axe FX units and not doing anything productive, and then he sounds burnt out on the idea of chasing that tone he was going for in general. Overall, he's just coming across as really depressed.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
The intro to that interview says that Eros was shelved because of creative differences but I thought it was because it would have been weird to finish and perform the album with Chi still in a coma, and by the time he died they were just in a totally different emotional and musical space.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Every interview I've read makes Steph sound like a bit of a miserable prick tbh. I've seen ones where the interviewer specifically comments on it.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 29, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tour dates announced! And they're playing here again! :woop:

03/05 Costa Mesa, CA @ Musink Festival
03/16 Mission, TX@ Never Say Never Festival
03/18 Austin, TX@ SPIN Party at Stubb’s
03/19 San Antonio, TX@ Lonestar Events Center
03/20 Dallas, TX@ South Side Ballroom
03/22 Houston, TX@ Revention Music Center
03/24 Lubbock, TX@ Lonestar Pavilion
05/08 Concord, NC@ Carolina Rebellion
05/10 Memphis, TN@ Minglewood Hall*
05/11 Nashville, TN@ Ryman Auditorium*
05/13 Pompano Beach, FL@ Pompano Beach Amphitheatre*
05/14 Lake Buena Vista, FL @ House of Blues*
05/15 Atlanta, GA@ Shaky Knees Festival
05/17 St. Augustine, FL@ St. Augustine Amphitheatre*
05/18 New Orleans, LA @ Orpheum Theatre*
05/20 Kansas City, MO @ Uptown Theatre*
05/21 Maryland Heights, MO @ KPNT Pointfest*
05/22 Columbus, OH @ Rock on the Range*
05/24 Sioux Falls, SD @ The District*
05/25 Wichita, KS @ Cotillion Ballroom*
05/26 Oklahoma City, OK @ Criterion Theater*
05/28 El Paso, TX @ Neon Desert Festival*
06/03 London, UK @ The SSE Arena Wembley
06/04 Mendig, Germany @ Rock AM Ring
06/05 Nürnberg, Germany @ Rock IM Park
06/10 Paris, France @ Download Festival
06/11 Derby, UK @ Download Festival
06/14 Cologne, Germany @ Palladium
06/15 Berlin, Germany @ Columbiahalle
06/17 Aarhus, Denmark @ NorthSide Festival
06/18 Reykjavik, Iceland @ Secret Solstice

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

massive spider posted:

Every interview I've read makes Steph sound like a bit of a miserable prick tbh. I've seen ones where the interviewer specifically comments on it.

Wasn't there a lot of talk about the band breaking up prior to Diamond Eyes too? I remember hearing rumblings about it and then when I saw them on tour for that they were all smiles and even Steph looked like he was having a good time.

He was also high as poo poo the entire show but chicken, egg, etc.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

I remember reading about the band having a lot of problems during the recording of their self-titled follow-up to White Pony, and none of the band was even really talking to each other during the recording of Saturday Night Wrist. I remember reading how Chino wasn't talking to anyone and just went into the studio with the producer to record his vocals without anyone around and the entire band was completely dysfunctional. That could also be why they still haven't put Eros out as well, because despite being the last album with Chi I think they were all still on bad terms with each other following Saturday Night Wrist and might have some bad memories associated with the album in general.

I think that's part of why Diamond Eyes was such a great album as well, because they all reconnected after years of not really liking each other. They were all pretty open about it being the first album in a long time where they all wrote songs as an actual band together.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Corvo posted:

I remember reading about the band having a lot of problems during the recording of their self-titled follow-up to White Pony, and none of the band was even really talking to each other during the recording of Saturday Night Wrist. I remember reading how Chino wasn't talking to anyone and just went into the studio with the producer to record his vocals without anyone around and the entire band was completely dysfunctional.

Their self-titled is their only album of theirs I never really listen to, in fact I often kind of forget it exists. Definitely their most bland, uninspired work. I do like Saturday Night Wrist though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ughhh, the only west coast show is some stupid metal festival. That's some bullshit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my ticket to see them live for the 4th time in May. gently caress yeah :cool:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

ruddiger posted:

Ughhh, the only west coast show is some stupid metal festival. That's some bullshit.

They haven't been to Minneapolis in like 5 years and they consistently sold out First Ave. It's super annoying.

Also, Steph was really cool the few times I've met the band and Chi was the nicest guy ever! Frank was kinda moody, and this was the SNW tour so Chino was kinda out of it... can't wait for Gore though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

massive spider posted:

I met Steph twice and he was a super cool dude both times. Maybe he just isn't big into interviews.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I found a listing for the songs on Gore and one is called Doomed User. Doomed User is also the name of a Team Sleep demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyr1KuR1kh4

I assume it's a small nod to people who have actually heard the Team Sleep song and not just them throwing the song onto the album.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wow nothing anywhere near me. Some bullshit.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cubey posted:

I assume it's a small nod to people who have actually heard the Team Sleep song and not just them throwing the song onto the album.
With the Crosses album being someone basically running cp EP1/*.mp3 EP2/*.mp3 EP3/*.mp3 SelfTitled/, I wouldn't count it out

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I haven't listened to them since 2003 or so, but a co-worker linked me the new song and it's incredible. I should probably go back and listen to all of the releases I missed if they're anything like this new track!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I haven't listened to them since 2003 or so, but a co-worker linked me the new song and it's incredible. I should probably go back and listen to all of the releases I missed if they're anything like this new track!

Their most recent album Koi No Yokan is excellent imo, and Diamond Eyes is quite good as well.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah Koi No Yokan was their best since White Pony IMO. Can't wait for Gore.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mein is one of their best songs written in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhstBxChY18

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Abe Cunningham is by far one of my favorite drummers in rock today, he's kind of underrated because he never really does anything showy but there are so many Deftones songs where the drum part really grabs me in a way that few other drummers do.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mein is my least favorite Deftones song, it's one of only two on any of their albums that I usually just skip (the other being Rapture). But to each their own of course; my favorite album is their S/T and I know a lot of people weren't crazy about that one.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Each to their own and all that but I really enjoyed 'Lucky You' from the self-titled. Didn't know the band had any beef with each other AT ALL. I mean, I guess there's a dip in quality during those times but I just thought that was more along the lines of the band just getting older/less creative like most bands do.

I do remember being really surprised at how big Chino got when I last saw them live. Has he being taking care of himself?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I do remember being really surprised at how big Chino got when I last saw them live. Has he being taking care of himself?
Chino's been up and down in weight like Oprah. He was a skinny kid in the '90s, he gained a lot of weight around Saturday Night Wrist, and lost a bunch in the run up to Koi No Yokan. You can't pay too much attention.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Each to their own and all that but I really enjoyed 'Lucky You' from the self-titled. Didn't know the band had any beef with each other AT ALL. I mean, I guess there's a dip in quality during those times but I just thought that was more along the lines of the band just getting older/less creative like most bands do.

I don't think there's necessarily a relationship between how well a band's members are getting along and the quality of their output. Sometimes being close friends can add tightness, but sometimes conflict and distance can add necessary tension. One of my personal favorite albums of all time is Massive Attack's Mezzanine and I was surprised to learn that the three guys in that band were barely on speaking terms with one another while recording that album, that they would mostly each come into the studio alone and work independently of the others and it was just sort of lucky (or maybe some miracle work on Neil Davidge's part) that it all came together so smoothly as an album.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cubey posted:

I found a listing for the songs on Gore and one is called Doomed User. Doomed User is also the name of a Team Sleep demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyr1KuR1kh4

Yeah, it's definitely not a Team Sleep track.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

This new song is kind of cool but kind of unexciting. kind of like some of the less memorable tracks on Diamond Eyes tbh

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I liked Prayers, but I am all the way not feeling Doomed User at all. I actually stopped listening to it partway through the first time after losing interest. After listening to it a few more times, it isn't growing on me.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
New track: "Hearts/Wires"

Chino was on a BBC Radio show — whole interview is in link; song at 2:40. It's pretty good IMO.

E: The track is on Spotify, too

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm not even exaggerating one bit when I say that's one of my favorite tracks they've ever done. It sounds a lot like some Palms stuff.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yeah Hearts/Wires is really awesome. Also, something about the mix in these songs makes them sound way different than anything else the band has ever done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Album's out now! I've only listened to it once, but my initial impression is that it's not as cohesive as Koi No Yokan overall. However, Hearts/Wires, Phantom Bride and Rubicon are seriously some of the best songs they've put out in their entire career. I wish the whole album had been more like those.

I'm gonna continue to give the rest of it more chances, though, and maybe seeing them play some of this material live next month will make me come around on it more.

Also I'm gonna listen to Phantom Bride and Rubicon back to back on repeat for the rest of the day because Jesus Christ

Like, my god, listen to these tracks as soon as possible y'all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5P5K5DjP88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4OZbdB_wVY

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 8, 2016

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Just given it a listen and pretty much have to agree with RM. It's good but not as captivating as Koi No Yokan. Phantom Bride, Rubicon, Hearts/Wires and Prayers/Triangles are the standouts for me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Loving the album. Glad that Doomed User turned out to be the only track I did not care for. It isn't quite as great as their last two, but still a pretty good album. I keep waiting for Deftones to finally put a bad album out, and they haven't done it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011
This album is definitely a grower. Listened to it the whole weekend and the standout tracks for me are "Prayers/Triangles", "Doomed User", "Hearts/Wires", "Rubicon", "Phantom Bride". But I have to agree that this album is not as cohesive as the last two. It's not bad per se, but at the same time, it's not as awesome as the last two.

• Locked thread