Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Black Baby Goku posted:

Seung-Hui Cho (/sʌŋ hiː tʃoʊ/; January 18, 1984 – April 16, 2007) was a South Korean mass murderer who killed 32 people and wounded 17 others on April 16, 2007, at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Virginia. I remember this day vividly because I was in college and was playing the fourth installment in The Elder Scrolls action fantasy video game series, following The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and preceding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Oblivion! From the fantastic voice acting, the millions of choices, and the realistic A.I! It was like I was in a living breathing world for the first time ever in a video game. My character and I were one in the same, and I trained him to the best of my ability.

Around 7:15 a.m. EDT (11:15 UTC) on April 16, 2007, Cho killed two students, Emily J. Hilscher and Ryan C. "Stack" Clark, on the fourth floor of West Ambler Johnston Hall, a high-rise co-educational dormitory.[49] Investigators later determined that Cho's shoes matched a blood-stained print found in the hallway outside Hilscher's room. The shoes and bloody jeans were found in Cho's dormitory room where he had stashed them after the attack.

Within the next two and a half hours, Cho returned to his room to rearm himself; he mailed a package to NBC News that contained pictures, digital video files and documents. At approximately 9:45 a.m. EDT (13:45 UTC), he then crossed the campus to Norris Hall, a classroom building on the campus where, in a span of nine minutes, Cho shot dozens of people, killing 30 of them. As police breached the area of the building where Cho attacked the faculty and students, Cho committed suicide in Norris 211 with a gunshot to his temple. Cho's gunshot wound destroyed his face, obscuring identification of his body for several hours. The police identified Cho by matching the fingerprints on the guns used in the shootings with immigration records. Before the shootings, Cho's only known connection to Norris Hall was as a student in the sociology class, which met in a classroom on the second floor of the building. Although police had not stated positively at the time of the initial investigation that Cho was the perpetrator of the Norris Hall shootings and the earlier one at West Ambler Johnston Hall, forensic evidence confirmed that the same gun was used in both shooting incidents.

It is still unclear whether or not Cho had played Oblivion, either on a personal computer or the Xbox 360 platform.

I remember that time because I was binge playing World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade... Regardless, we're drifting further away from the topic at hand- the event where terrorists murdered thousands of Americans and destroyed a section of New York City, which was also around the time ny friends were all getting really hyped for the Nintendo GameCube, and we all read lots of magazine articles about it and spent minutes loading really low res internet screenshots of the demo games like Super Mario 128 and Meowth's Rock Party (?!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should make good on Mario 128

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I remember that time because I was binge playing World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade... Regardless, we're drifting further away from the topic at hand- the event where terrorists murdered thousands of Americans and destroyed a section of New York City, which was also around the time ny friends were all getting really hyped for the Nintendo GameCube, and we all read lots of magazine articles about it and spent minutes loading really low res internet screenshots of the demo games like Super Mario 128 and Meowth's Rock Party (?!)

i remember meowths rock party and mario 128 and also thinking about beating my friends heads in with the gamecube haha

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Black Baby Goku posted:

i remember meowths rock party and mario 128 and also thinking about beating my friends heads in with the gamecube haha

It's 2016. Trans bashing is not tolerated here.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Turn your 1024x768 CRT monitor on.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

who said they were?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im so young that the first time I heard about the DC snipers was a joke in a Tyler Perry movie

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
diablo 2

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i took an ap english exam senior year, finished it with an hour to spare, and played final fantasy v on my gba micro under the table. i just found my micro a couple months ago, with a battery charge and circle of the moon still in it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Black Baby Goku posted:

Little did I know, on 9/11, that a little band called animal collective would be creating the album of the century, "Feels" in Brooklyn a mere 5 years later.

i like merriweather post pavilion better

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I remember Mario 128 when's that game coming out

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

Teacher: a plane has hit the World Trade Center

*sound effect from back of class room* Mama Mia!

Teacher: a second plane has just hit the other tower

*sound effect from back of classroom* yah.. Wah... Yahooooo!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Meowth's Rock Party (?!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrXSmGI9kw

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

hard to be broken up about a terrorist attack when youv got one of the greatest gbc games of all time in your backpack haha

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

Reporter: Is is true when the gunman fired, the bullet was deflected by a copy of the Holy Bible in your shirt pocket, saving your life?

Me: myeah....... a bible......... ..

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
people not playing deus ex that day missed out on a uniquely immersive gaming experience.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Diablo 2

I remember chat just exploding and then I turned on my tv

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the day aftderwards the teacher said "before we start we should have a moments silence for the departed" and then like 2 seconds letter "alright lets get on with the lesson"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harvest Moon 64
Everquest
Donkey Kong Country 2
Age of Empires 2
Pokemon Crystal
Brood War
Gran Turismo 3
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Diablo 2
Counter Strike
Oracle of Ages
ATV Off-Road Fury
Driver 2
Half-Life
Majora's Mask
Dragon Quest 1&2
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
SSX
Mario & Yoshi
Red Alert 2
Streer Fighter Alpha 3 (PSX)
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Crimson Skies
Team Fortress Classic
Sega Bass Fishing
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Baldur's Gate II

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gaming on 9/11 looks like some of the greatest games of all time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Harvest Moon 64
Everquest
Donkey Kong Country 2
Age of Empires 2
Pokemon Crystal
Brood War
Gran Turismo 3
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Diablo 2
Counter Strike
Oracle of Ages
ATV Off-Road Fury
Driver 2
Half-Life
Majora's Mask
Dragon Quest 1&2
SSX
Mario & Yoshi
Red Alert 2
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Crimson Skies
Team Fortress Classic
Sega Bass Fishing
Baldur's Gate II

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would be fun to play 10 minutes of every game on that list and then randomly swap out to a different one on a timer. Except for Everquest because I probably wouldn't even finish reading class descriptions in that time period

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

In Training posted:

Harvest Moon 64
Everquest
Donkey Kong Country 2
Age of Empires 2
Pokemon Crystal
Brood War
Gran Turismo 3
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Diablo 2
Counter Strike
Oracle of Ages
ATV Off-Road Fury
Driver 2
Half-Life
Majora's Mask
Dragon Quest 1&2
SSX
Mario & Yoshi
Red Alert 2
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Crimson Skies
Team Fortress Classic
Sega Bass Fishing
Baldur's Gate II

never forget... the classics of gaming

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

It would be fun to play 10 minutes of every game on that list and then randomly swap out to a different one on a timer. Except for Everquest because I probably wouldn't even finish reading class descriptions in that time period

I haven't played in 15 years but it was insanely fun in 1999-2001 as a teen and fighting a crocodile in the ocean and getting a magic weapon to fight wisps and ghouls and had tons of secrets. Agh my feels!

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

In Training posted:

Harvest Moon 64
Everquest
Donkey Kong Country 2
Age of Empires 2
Pokemon Crystal
Brood War
Gran Turismo 3
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Diablo 2
Counter Strike
Oracle of Ages
ATV Off-Road Fury
Driver 2
Half-Life
Majora's Mask
Dragon Quest 1&2
SSX
Mario & Yoshi
Red Alert 2
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Crimson Skies
Team Fortress Classic
Sega Bass Fishing
Baldur's Gate II

drat fine games right there. God I miss the early 2000s. God I miss when my knees and back didn't hurt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

I haven't played in 15 years but it was insanely fun in 1999-2001 as a teen and fighting a crocodile in the ocean and getting a magic weapon to fight wisps and ghouls and had tons of secrets. Agh my feels!

I'm actually mildly interested in Everquest Next, lol.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

The only MMO I ever played was Dark Age of Camelot but I looked it up and it didn't come out until October 2001. Some good times and intense feels though.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Writing Prompt: Developers never had the heart to make another video game after the towers fell. What are you still playing today?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Ristolaz posted:

Writing Prompt: Developers never had the heart to make another video game after the towers fell. What are you still playing today?

for lack o variety for almost 20 years I would probably go to the deep deep end and would probably be programing scripts to beat nethack 60% of the time or something

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

I'm actually mildly interested in Everquest Next, lol.

I don't know if it will ever come out but their Minecraft rip off was fun for a week

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There were rumors circa 2002 that Saddam Hussein was buying 4,000 PS2s to build a missile guidance system.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It was supposed to lead to a massive Christmas PS2 shortage.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

It sucked the fat one

As did Oni.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

Harvest Moon 64
Everquest
Donkey Kong Country 2
Age of Empires 2
Pokemon Crystal
Brood War
Gran Turismo 3
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Diablo 2
Counter Strike
Oracle of Ages
ATV Off-Road Fury
Driver 2
Half-Life
Majora's Mask
Dragon Quest 1&2
SSX
Mario & Yoshi
Red Alert 2
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Crimson Skies
Team Fortress Classic
Sega Bass Fishing
Baldur's Gate II

oh my god. powerful gaming feels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

There were rumors circa 2002 that Saddam Hussein was buying 4,000 PS2s to build a missile guidance system.

They were to counterbalance the front of the missile because the missile engine was powered by the Xbox, lol.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My Xbox made a shitload of noise and heat.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The picture of Saddam Hussein's statue being pulled down but it's a comically oversized Xbox

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

George W. Bush lands on the deck of an Xbox in a flight suit.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

In Training posted:

Harvest Moon 64
Everquest
Donkey Kong Country 2
Age of Empires 2
Pokemon Crystal
Brood War
Gran Turismo 3
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Diablo 2
Counter Strike
Oracle of Ages
ATV Off-Road Fury
Driver 2
Half-Life
Majora's Mask
Dragon Quest 1&2
SSX
Mario & Yoshi
Red Alert 2
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Crimson Skies
Team Fortress Classic
Sega Bass Fishing
Baldur's Gate II

What a fantastic year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
They couldn't find the weapons of mass destruction because no one could see behind Saddam's gaming setup (big Xbox)

• Locked thread