Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Paradoxish posted:

lol if you don't launch literally all apps by just hitting winkey and typing (a feature which has been a part of the OS since vista)

Seriously, though, I use Windows 10's virtual desktops on my work laptop on a daily basis. They're barebones as hell, but feel way better to use than just about every third party option that existed pre-10. Windows 10 has a lot of nice quality of life features.

A surprising number of people don't use that feature. I haven't learned a thing about Windows or browsed the start menu since they added proper search. There is now zero reason to browse to control panel or other random menus or even the folder structure if you have half decent file names and set up indexing in the right places.

And now I click "troubleshoot this" when I have problems like no internet connectivity and half the time it actually fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

blowfish posted:

No that's my supervisor. Putting a control panel shortcut on the desktop and installing classic shell fix objectively bad UI decisions that make computers harder to use :colbert:

Still, UIs staying the same unless a new compelling development that actually serves a purpose comes up is good, because I don't give a gently caress about how my computer looks beyond "not a complete eyesore" and "not so confusing it becomes hard to use" and don't want to spend effort on getting used to change for the sake of change.

:agreed:

People don't radically remodel the control layouts of cars every few years, and when they make an attempt (Toyota Echo) the result is usually received negatively. I will probably never stop using desktop PCs as long as they exist because there is no machine that you have as much control over as a desktop, but gently caress the desktop (especially gaming) PC upgrade cycle.

Paradoxish posted:

lol if you don't launch literally all apps by just hitting winkey and typing (a feature which has been a part of the OS since vista)

My keyboard has only 101 keys, none of which are a Windows key. I can't say I miss having a Windows key either, the drat thing only annoyed me when I hit it instead of Ctrl or Alt.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 16, 2016

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I remember hearing about stuff like this after windows 10 first came out. Is that sort of thing still an issue? That (and some of the privacy stuff) is pretty much all that is keeping me from updating at this point.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FilthyImp posted:

When personal computing has roots in kits you build yourself, or components that can be swapped out by the consumer, its logical that rolling any of that back (much less forcing programs into walled gardens) would be met with hesitation.

Cellphones were never really customisable (aside from Motorola's faceplates) so people don't really feel that same sense of loss. Though the recent trend to do away with swappable batteries, MicroSD and SIM cards had some push back.

Phones are still in the early days of their lifecycle really. I'd guess in about 5 years you'll be able to build your own fairly easily and cheaply. Right now phones are still in the 486, first gen. Pentium chipset era.

Cicero posted:

Apparently recent video game DRM efforts have actually gotten very effective, though:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/major-piracy-groups-warns-games-may-be-crack-proof-in-two-years/

They broke it like 3 weeks after this.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sbaldrick posted:

Phones are still in the early days of their lifecycle really. I'd guess in about 5 years you'll be able to build your own fairly easily and cheaply. Right now phones are still in the 486, first gen. Pentium chipset era.

I don't know about this. Standardizing the components so that anyone can just read an instruction manual and plug in a bunch of wires and circuit boards together would probably mean that there'd be more overhead/waste in the design and the cell phone would have to be bigger, use more electricity, etc. Smartphones still don't really have great battery life, and I'd be shocked if people would be willing to compromise (battery life x performance x 1/size) for customization.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 16, 2016

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I got an email today from LinkedIn with the title "Your expertise is requested". I knew the odds of it being an actual consultation request were pretty abysmal, but I wasn't anything THAT bad:

quote:

Based on your LinkedIn profile and your professional expertise you've been selected to participate in a short 7-9 minute research study that LinkedIn is conducting about your various types of travel and your preferences when you are traveling.

They've got to be circling the drain if they are down to tricking people into filling surveys for revenue.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've seen nerds get pissed off when someone complains about Windows 10 upgrades because that person doesn't want the bother and risk (and for business, expense) of migrating to Windows 10 when his/her current system is just fine for the job.

HURR DURR JUST TRY NEW THINGS I DON'T CARE IF IT COSTS YOUR COMPANY THOUSANDS IN RETRAINING AND MORE ON NEW INSTRUMENTS THAT ARE COMPATIBLE. :shivdurf:

Would agree with you if it wasn't the fact that upgrading an OS in an enterprise environment or even just installing basic rear end updates can sometimes non-stop break some old as poo poo programs the enterprise relies on for day to day usage. Yea, it's more of a problem of companies running programs with code being held together by scotch tape than the OS though.

The issue becomes less severe in non-networked equipment like a lot of portable medical imaging equipment. What is the point in upgrading an endoscope system for example (something used to look down a person's throat) if the company software works flawlessly on XP, the image quality looks good on XP, and the only result in upgrading the system to win 10 is the possibility of incompatibility issues, and performance issues with the systems older hardware?

I don't know if something exists already, but it would be cool if a future version of windows incorporated VMs that ran off of virtual hardware configurations so all a companies dogshit legacy software could be spooled up in separate VMs running older OS versions independent of the higher level OS.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

sbaldrick posted:

They broke it like 3 weeks after this.

Counterpoint: Laptops, a long-standing product that's become well known for being assembled piecewise by the consumer. Literally the only thing I can think of that has any sort of consumer-assembly mentality is the desktop PC, and even then part sales are absolutely dwarfed by pre-built. Enthusiast PC is an aberration, not a trend. Name one thing that people put together from parts in anything but the nichiest of niche markets. About the only thing that you could say is built from components is home theater - TV, cabling, speakers, bluray, etc all sold separately.

The trend for building in most industries is the opposite - when it first starts people build their own (bikes, cars, planes, radio, etc), then mass-market becomes the norm, and eventually it's just a few tinkerers doing it for fun.

And no, Denuvo still isn't cracked, not that PC games are much of a market anymore.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Woolie Wool posted:

People don't radically remodel the control layouts of cars every few years, and when they make an attempt (Toyota Echo) the result is usually received negatively. I will probably never stop using desktop PCs as long as they exist because there is no machine that you have as much control over as a desktop, but gently caress the desktop (especially gaming) PC upgrade cycle.

Eh, I've been PC gaming since Windows 3.1, and at least since Quake, there was a 2 year PC upgrade cycle to keep up with the most recent games, but my last computer was 4 years, and this one's been 4 years so far with no plans to upgrade

There definitely was a long period before the control layout of cars was standardized, and I think we're getting there with computers too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Eh, I've been PC gaming since Windows 3.1, and at least since Quake, there was a 2 year PC upgrade cycle to keep up with the most recent games, but my last computer was 4 years, and this one's been 4 years so far with no plans to upgrade

There definitely was a long period before the control layout of cars was standardized, and I think we're getting there with computers too.

My last computer I had for...like 7 or 8 years I think. Ran everything fine. I replaced the video card once and it didn't run games at as pretty a level as a newer box but it worked.

The only reason it got replaced was because it died.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The only reason it got replaced was because it died.

Yeah, I do a moderate amount of gaming on my PC and I've basically only replaced parts over the last several years as they've died or if a really, really good deal popped up. I remember the constant upgrade cycle of the 90s and early 00s, and things are just a lot different now. The idea of a 4+ year old midrange computer still being capable of playing games maxed out would have been unthinkable back then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I do a moderate amount of gaming on my PC and I've basically only replaced parts over the last several years as they've died or if a really, really good deal popped up. I remember the constant upgrade cycle of the 90s and early 00s, and things are just a lot different now. The idea of a 4+ year old midrange computer still being capable of playing games maxed out would have been unthinkable back then.

Well that's primarily because we reached a point where upping the clock speed on a computer got far too energy intensive. I was reading a page (posted earlier in this thread I believe) where they mentioned that a 7 GHz Intel prototype ran at 150 watts of waste heat. Now advances are simply additive instead of exponential in consumer computers. Barring a huge shift in development, an i5 is going to run most games for the next five years.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Harik posted:

Counterpoint: Laptops, a long-standing product that's become well known for being assembled piecewise by the consumer.

In fact pretty much anything where small size is at all a consideration isn't going to be built out of standardised form factor parts like a PC is. PCs can be bulky as hell and full of empty space and noone cares, that's why discrete motherboards and graphics cards and psus and so on can be a thing.

(I guess Project Ara is a longshot but I don't rate its chances)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Performance per watt and efficiency are the drivers of CPU development because a room full of servers is relatively cheap but the electricity to both run and cool them is not.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Avalanche posted:

Would agree with you if it wasn't the fact that upgrading an OS in an enterprise environment or even just installing basic rear end updates can sometimes non-stop break some old as poo poo programs the enterprise relies on for day to day usage. Yea, it's more of a problem of companies running programs with code being held together by scotch tape than the OS though.

The issue becomes less severe in non-networked equipment like a lot of portable medical imaging equipment. What is the point in upgrading an endoscope system for example (something used to look down a person's throat) if the company software works flawlessly on XP, the image quality looks good on XP, and the only result in upgrading the system to win 10 is the possibility of incompatibility issues, and performance issues with the systems older hardware?

I don't know if something exists already, but it would be cool if a future version of windows incorporated VMs that ran off of virtual hardware configurations so all a companies dogshit legacy software could be spooled up in separate VMs running older OS versions independent of the higher level OS.

You're actually agreeing with me, the allcaps and hurf durf smiley indicate sarcasm.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Avalanche posted:

My school district did that for their legacy student database system when Win7 came out. The VM ran XP and basically came pre-loaded with the software.

Turns out some internet voodoo in 7 made it unreliable. :confuoot:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Avalanche posted:

Wasn't this basically Windows XP mode in Windows 7? I mean, you had to download it separately, but once installed it let you install XP programs in the XP VM and launch them from 7 (which handled all of the VM stuff in the background).

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Harik posted:

Name one thing that people put together from parts in anything but the nichiest of niche markets.
Anything from Ikea.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

g0del posted:

Anything from Ikea.
I love going to the Palo Alto Ikea and watching people who are obviously tech engineers making six figures buying 150 dollar dressers that they are going to have to spend 2 hours putting together.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cheese posted:

I love going to the Palo Alto Ikea and watching people who are obviously tech engineers making six figures buying 150 dollar dressers that they are going to have to spend 2 hours putting together.

It was part of their pre-marriage counseling.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Aramis posted:

I got an email today from LinkedIn with the title "Your expertise is requested". I knew the odds of it being an actual consultation request were pretty abysmal, but I wasn't anything THAT bad:

They've got to be circling the drain if they are down to tricking people into filling surveys for revenue.

That's actually garden-variety user research. They're trying to get directed feedback from actual users instead of dropping money for dime-a-dozen responses from poor people scrounging for scraps on UX survey sites.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Avalanche posted:

I spent about three months unfucking all of the problems caused by migrating a ton of scientific equipment PCs from XP to 7. Hopefully the 32-bit to 64-bit jump will be the worst hurdle, but holy poo poo I never want to upgrade an OS again, as far as the workplace is concerned 10 can eat a dick.

Slanderer posted:

Wasn't this basically Windows XP mode in Windows 7? I mean, you had to download it separately, but once installed it let you install XP programs in the XP VM and launch them from 7 (which handled all of the VM stuff in the background).

If it had to communicate with anything the VM failed miserably.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Uber is burning cash at a rate of $1 billion per year to try to take over the "ride sharing" market in China.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

I spent about three months unfucking all of the problems caused by migrating a ton of scientific equipment PCs from XP to 7. Hopefully the 32-bit to 64-bit jump will be the worst hurdle, but holy poo poo I never want to upgrade an OS again, as far as the workplace is concerned 10 can eat a dick.

It won't be. Unless you are very lucky your software will be using a a ton of deprecated API's from 1996.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

NihilismNow posted:

It won't be. Unless you are very lucky your software will be using a a ton of deprecated API's from 1996.

Or older, if it's scientific or medical equipment.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NihilismNow posted:

This. I'm currently watching exactly this unfold as a slow motion train wreck, wherein the process of upgrading a single computer has now taken three months and eaten up like a hundred man hours with no end in sight.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

cheese posted:

We'll have you looked at the price of real furniture? IKEA furniture is cheaper than the equivalent raw lumber at Home Depot.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Things look worse and worse at Zenefits.

Farhad Majoo at the New York Times posted:

In particular, Zenefits may be among the first of several cautionary tales to highlight a sobering lesson: For a start-up, growing too quickly can produce just as spectacular a failure as growing too slowly.

First, the back story: Zenefits is a three-year-old company that makes software for small businesses. In its short life span, it has been called both the most unsexy company in tech, and one of the most promising.
These grand promises were bolstered by Zenefits’ early growth. Its annual recurring revenue — an accounting measure preferred by subscription-based software companies — reached $1 million by the end of 2013, the year Zenefits was founded. Recurring revenue hit $20 million by late 2014, and was projected to reach $100 million by late 2015.

The exponential growth was catnip to investors. The start-up raised $500 million last year at a $4 billion valuation, one of the largest financing rounds in a year of mega-fundings. At one point, Andreessen Horowitz, Silicon Valley’s pre-eminent venture firm, had invested more in Zenefits than in any other company. In total, Zenefits has raised about $581 million.
Insurance regulators in California and Washington State have been investigating the company. According to people with knowledge of the investigation, at the root of the California inquiry is software that Mr. Conrad created to let Zenefits’ employees cheat on the state’s online broker license course. It was the discovery of this software that led to Mr. Conrad’s departure. The news of the investigation was first reported by BuzzFeed — also an Andreessen investment — which has been examining Zenefits’ rise.
Yet the story is more complicated than the single instance of a founder’s misdeeds. Zenefits’ recklessness seems to have been merely the worst symptom of a larger sickness that infected the company, according to investors, former employees and others who worked with the management team (and who all requested anonymity because no one in Silicon Valley wants to be seen as kicking a start-up when it’s down).

That sickness: Zenefits was a company consumed by impossible expectations. In return for fund-raising at a stratospheric value, Mr. Conrad promised the moon to investors.
Then, to reach the moon, he began to transform a tiny start-up into a mighty rocket ship — only to watch it careen out of control as it stretched to accomplish the impossible. Though many noticed trouble, neither Mr. Conrad, nor the board of directors, nor anyone else in management could afford to stop, take a breath and fix the problems. Growth was the only imperative.
The unyielding pressure to grow sapped Zenefits. The company opened two satellite offices in Arizona and went on a hiring spree.

Zenefits began hiring people who had little experience with software sales in a highly regulated industry. There were some days in which 100 people joined; overall head count grew to a reported 1,600 late last year from 15 at the end of 2013 .

Growth broke stuff. To increase revenue, the company moved beyond small businesses to customers with hundreds of employees — and the software struggled to keep up. Instead of pausing to fix bugs, Zenefits simply hired more employees to fill in where the software failed, including repurposing product managers for manual data entry.

Employee morale sank. Regulatory compliance suffered (in addition to the cheating software); Zenefits had a process for making sure that only licensed brokers spoke to clients about their benefits, but young and inexperienced managers did little to enforce it.
Mama, call the regulators, I feel sick. Here's more on the software that let employees cheat on the brokers' training course.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Or if you need to run any 16bit executables, since they killed support for that in 64 bit windows 7

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Slanderer posted:

Or if you need to run any 16bit executables, since they killed support for that in 64 bit windows 7

They've never had 16 bit support in 64 bit versions, even in XP.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

NihilismNow posted:

Looks like I'm lucky, the issues are pretty much entirely SQL-based. :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

duz posted:

VMs all the way down

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Aramis posted:

Their growth numbers were based on fake Chinese accounts, its like Facebook. Sooner or later you can only prebook revenues for so long before eventually the statements and growth estimates mismatch. LNKD works great for datamining, until you start getting over 200 linkd requests a day from random bots, at which time it becomes a myspace with degree references.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Hal_2005 posted:

Their growth numbers were based on fake Chinese accounts, its like Facebook. Sooner or later you can only prebook revenues for so long before eventually the statements and growth estimates mismatch. LNKD works great for datamining, until you start getting over 200 linkd requests a day from random bots, at which time it becomes a myspace with degree references.

I feel less bad about not ever touching my LinkedIn account after I set it up years ago, except to update info occasionally

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

duz posted:

And yet WINE has no problem running 16-bit Windows executables under 64-bit Linux. Welcome to our modern bizarro-world where Linux is more backwards-compatible with Windows than Windows is.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
just to go back to this statement from zenefits re: loving up the Jet.com account:

quote:

“We are not the best vendor for 1,000-employee companies like Jet," Kenneth Baer, a spokesperson for Zenefits, said in a statement to the San Francisco Business Times.

Who the gently caress lets a statement like this out? How does an actual person with the job title "spokesperson" talk to the press this way?

Here's a freebie for you, Kenneth, just spitballing here:

"Jet is one of our earliest clients and our biggest success story. We're extremely proud to be part of their growth process and we're working with them to find an enterprise solution that meets their needs."

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Startup Promising Cash For Weddings Pivots To Crowdfunding Platform, Infuriates Couples
http://consumerist.com/2016/02/17/startup-promising-cash-for-weddings-pivots-to-crowfunding-platform-infuriates-couples/

quote:

The news went out around December: a startup in Seattle would give engaged couples loans for their weddings, and some couples receive $10,000 toward their wedding expenses with no obligation to pay it back… for as long as the couple stays together. Then it abruptly changed the entire business model when it launched.
He apparently didn’t anticipate how many people believe in true love and free cash, and claims to have received requests to fund at least 200,000 weddings.
On the launch day, Valentine’s Day, the company announced that it would pivot, as they say in startup-land. Instead of giving loans, it would become a crowdfunding platform specifically for weddings, where couples could solicit their friends and relatives to pay instead. The catch remained the same: if they divorced, the money would all be returned… to the people who originally donated.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Marissa Mayer closes down another of her signature Yahoo programs. Times headline: "Yahoo Closes Online Magazines, a Costly Experiment by Marissa Mayer".

quote:

Marissa Mayer, the embattled chief executive of Yahoo, is gutting one of her signature projects: A cluster of digital magazines devoted to topics like food, autos, real estate, travel and technology.

Yahoo notified dozens of writers and editors at the 15 publications on Wednesday that they were losing their jobs as part of the Internet company’s broader plan, announced last month, to cut 15 percent of its work force.

Some of the topics that the magazines had covered will be folded into Yahoo News. Yahoo will still produce some original content in areas like tech and fashion. But articles on topics like food and autos, whose publications lost all of their staff, will be republished from other websites.

“It’s kind of a blood bath over here,” said one employee who was laid off, who requested anonymity because talking to the media could jeopardize her severance package. “Only a handful of people are staying.”

Ms. Mayer bet heavily on the magazines as a key to reinventing Yahoo as a premium destination for readers and advertisers. She devoted significant engineering resources to adapt Tumblr, Yahoo’s blogging network, to host the magazines.

She also spent millions of dollars hiring celebrity talent like Bobbi Brown, founder of the cosmetics line that bears her name; Joe Zee, formerly the creative director of Elle; and David Pogue, a best-selling author of personal technology books and a former columnist for The New York Times.

Ms. Brown is leaving the company, but Mr. Zee and Mr. Pogue are staying, according to a Yahoo spokeswoman.

In a 2014 interview, Ms. Mayer laid out her vision for the magazines as a rich medium for storytelling and advertising.

“You can layer in video. You can change the content. You can bring in the social aspect. You can tell someone, ‘Oh, by the way, your friend also read this article and thought it was interesting,’ ” she said. “A magazine, all 10 million copies have to be the same. Digitally, you can personalize it. You can put different advertisements that are more meaningful to the users in each one.”

In reality, Yahoo’s personalization technology never reached that level of sophistication. The editors of the magazines were constantly fighting with the people who ran Yahoo’s home page to get prominent display for their work. The home page editors, relying on reader data and computer algorithms, preferred to run articles licensed by Yahoo from other sites because they drew more traffic.

Mayer made a couple of big bets. She's formally given up on this one. She's taken a major writedown on another big bet, Tumblr. Investors think the only value in Yahoo is their Alibaba holding. Why does she still have a job?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Who the hell thought that that would be a good idea at all? I get that most marriages end in divorce but unless people are betting over double what they're getting loaned that business is guaranteed to fail right out the gate.