Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Woden posted:

Desktops are dying, so Samsung, ARM and Google/Apple will just pull and end around like Intel/MS did to IBM and mainframes.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Business Gorillas posted:

If you want a combo meal and since idk like $7 at minimum? I usually get a large unsweetened tea so that adds a dollar or two to it.

Last time I went to BK the combos were probably reaching $8-9 which is how much Chipotle is for healthier, actual food

You're really dumb if you think Chipotle is that much healthier.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Kmart's new business plan: try and be a more upmarket Big Lots or Ollie's.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

nottheonion.txt

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Irradiation posted:

I just tell them to do double beans in my bowl instead of rice. Reduces the calories by like 50% and ups the fiber

vyst has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Feb 18, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Irradiation posted:

uh, I don't know if you've heard, but Chipotle recently announced they will be making sure all of their ingredients are GMO-free. Is McDonald's GMO-free?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

uh, I don't know if you've heard, but Chipotle recently announced they will be making sure all of their ingredients are GMO-free. Is McDonald's GMO-free?

They should work on rear end-destroying-microbe-free first.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

TerryLennox posted:

I'm concerned what Intel will do to processor prices without a serious competitor in the desktop business segment.

What do you mean "going to do". The price gouging has been going on for a few years now. The mainstream I7's are goddamn $400, without a cooler,when they are even in stock. Whatcha gonna do? Install a 225 watt AMD space heater?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
People keep saying amd is dying but I'm not so sure, if you do any googling on building a budget gaming tower literally everyone will recommend you go for the amd 6300 + the gtx 950 right now, together they're about 250 and pass better benchmarks than current gen gaming consoles. I think intel firmly has higher end processors in their pocket but if you're the kind of person who builds a cheapish pc every half a dozen years to keep up with modern games amd is always going to be best bang for your buck in the 100 dollar range processors.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Chipotle is for healthier, actual food

And this folks is how Chipotle got popular in the first place lmao

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

People keep saying amd is dying but I'm not so sure, if you do any googling on building a budget gaming tower literally everyone will recommend you go for the amd 6300 + the gtx 950 right now, together they're about 250 and pass better benchmarks than current gen gaming consoles. I think intel firmly has higher end processors in their pocket but if you're the kind of person who builds a cheapish pc every half a dozen years to keep up with modern games amd is always going to be best bang for your buck in the 100 dollar range processors.

First of all: Don't let people buy AMD. Seriously they are not competetive, maybe in sponsored content articles but not in the real world where performance per clock remotely matters.

Second even if their garbage processors were competetive (which they are not) they aren't making any money with them. They lost $660 million on $4 billion in revenue in 2015.
They already split of their fabs a number of years ago, last year they also placed their assembly and testing division in a joint venture where they have a minority stake and they have had multiple rounds of layoffs the last few years, just a few months ago they had to let 5% of their workforce go. They also liquidated their microserver business seamicro in 2015.

Their current products are not that competetive (either GPU or CPU), they have nothing left to sell and a fraction of the R&D budget of their competitors.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

NihilismNow posted:

First of all: Don't let people buy AMD. Seriously they are not competetive, maybe in sponsored content articles but not in the real world where performance per clock remotely matters.

Second even if their garbage processors were competetive (which they are not) they aren't making any money with them. They lost $660 million on $4 billion in revenue in 2015.
They already split of their fabs a number of years ago, last year they also placed their assembly and testing division in a joint venture where they have a minority stake and they have had multiple rounds of layoffs the last few years, just a few months ago they had to let 5% of their workforce go. They also liquidated their microserver business seamicro in 2015.

Their current products are not that competetive (either GPU or CPU), they have nothing left to sell and a fraction of the R&D budget of their competitors.
the 6300 is basically best performance for the cost, I'm not saying intel doesn't make stronger chips i'm just saying that if you're building an intel rig you're going to be spending more money. You can google it yourself I was just recently looking at parts and literally everyone from tech sites to private forums recommends you go with the 6300 950 combo right now for a 500 buck pc. People start recommending intel based builds when you hit 700 or so but that's 200 more dollars than you need to spend to run pretty much anything at max specs right now, about all you get is more future proofing. There is no mass online conspiracy to get you to buy bad parts it's just amd typically has better budget processors while intel typically has better high end ones.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
That's not to say they're not failing as a company I'm not saying you should buy stock in them but i will be sad to see them go.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ArbitraryC posted:

the 6300 is basically best performance for the cost, I'm not saying intel doesn't make stronger chips i'm just saying that if you're building an intel rig you're going to be spending more money. You can google it yourself I was just recently looking at parts and literally everyone from tech sites to private forums recommends you go with the 6300 950 combo right now for a 500 buck pc. People start recommending intel based builds when you hit 700 or so but that's 200 more dollars than you need to spend to run pretty much anything at max specs right now, about all you get is more future proofing. There is no mass online conspiracy to get you to buy bad parts it's just amd typically has better budget processors while intel typically has better high end ones.

There's strategic space in nearly every industry for "cheaper and worse", but it's still a bad idea to buy AMD stuff because compared to a cheap Pentium, they aren't much cheaper but are a lot worse.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

It can compete with a similar priced i3 in multithreaded workloads. Once you hit something that can not use all modules you are much better off with a i3. It also uses 50% more power (more cooling, noise) than that i3. I'd have a i3 6100 any day of the week over a AMD FX-6300. It beats a i3 by very slim margins in some workloads and losses massively in single threaded workloads.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Neither AMD nor Intel are "circling the drain" and this nerd chat is going to chase all the hot ladies right out of the thread if you aren't careful.

Let's talk about fitness clubs, last I heard Gold's Gym is in trouble because the old world muscle man type of gym has no place in our modern society full of shameful fat chicks doing yoga at curves.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

reallivedinosaur posted:

Neither AMD nor Intel are "circling the drain" and this nerd chat is going to chase all the hot ladies right out of the thread if you aren't careful.

Let's talk about fitness clubs, last I heard Gold's Gym is in trouble because the old world muscle man type of gym has no place in our modern society full of shameful fat chicks doing yoga at curves.

Gold's is too scary for dumbass high school kids because they'll get yelled at when they keep dropping weights every 30 seconds and then don't put them back.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

And this folks is how Chipotle got popular in the first place lmao

Grilled chicken, brown rice, beans, and salsa: unhealthy, apparently

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

reallivedinosaur posted:

Pretty sure that annual losses equivalent to 35% of your market cap (half of which is the cash and equivalents you have in the bank) counts as circling the drain.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
AMD is definitely circling the drain but Intel is not and desktops/laptops aren't dying hth

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Grilled chicken, brown rice, beans, and salsa: unhealthy, apparently

Here I made your burrito that is so healthy:

200 calories from fat
23.5g fat total
125mg cholesterol
:eyepop: Sodium 1995mg, more than an entire day's worth
5mg of sugar in a burrito :wtf:
Not pictured: e-coli

drat that's healthy as gently caress

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bradzilla posted:

200 calories from fat
23.5g fat total
125mg cholesterol

19 ounces is over 500 grams 5 g of sugar in somethign that size is actually really low

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

bradzilla posted:

200 calories from fat
23.5g fat total
125mg cholesterol

Yeah but that e coli will make you poo poo everything out so honestly it will make you LOSE weight...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah but that e coli will make you poo poo everything out so honestly it will make you LOSE weight...

This too

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm guessing the salt is in whatever goop the beans come in?

Is the sugar in the tortilla?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Sugar and salt are in the salsa.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
chipotle is not a healthy meal you retards jfc

it's fine if you like eating it but don't lie to yourself

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

FishionMailed posted:

chipotle is not a healthy meal you retards jfc

it's fine if you like eating it but don't lie to yourself

Chipoltle would be a healthy lunch at maybe 1/3rd of the portion size or less, a lot like every other fast food restaurant, "health oriented" or not.

People really don't "get" the concept of moderation, it always blows my mind.

Also lol at goons ITT that apparently don't know that sugar occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables. :wtc:

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

Chipoltle would be a healthy lunch at maybe 1/3rd of the portion size or less, a lot like every other fast food restaurant, "health oriented" or not.

People really don't "get" the concept of moderation, it always blows my mind.

Also lol at goons ITT that apparently don't know that sugar occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables. :wtc:

Yeah I mean it's not so much the ingredients as it is the fact that the burrito is the size of your stomach.

And yeah lol goons are dumb about very basic things.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
On the few occasions ive been to chipotle i ate about half the burrito then and half later so two 400 calorie meals actually sounds pretty reasonable to me. More salt than you should be having but thats true of pretty much any food you don't cook fresh at home so whatever.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I basically do the same thing. I can't even eat one of those things unless I really try to.

Even still the amount of people going into Chipotle thinking it is health food is amazing. It's a burrito.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FishionMailed posted:

I basically do the same thing. I can't even eat one of those things unless I really try to.

Even still the amount of people going into Chipotle thinking it is health food is amazing. It's a burrito.
I think the idea is that beans and rice is as far as fast foods go healthier and more filling per calorie than alternatives. I can only get about halfway through a chipotle burrito but i could easily eat 1k calories of jack in the box.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Yeah that's fair.

Those ultimate cheeseburgers are 819 calories by themselves.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Honestly though if you are eating fast food enough where you need to be conscious about the less unhealthy options you're already failing at life. Fast food should be a rare enough treat that it shouldn't matter what you're binging on. One drunken evening of bad food should not make or break your diet.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

200 calories from fat
23.5g fat total
125mg cholesterol

for the quantity of food that's legitimately not unhealthy compared to other restaurant food

EDIT: it's about the same amount of food as half a dozen taco bell tacos and contains 200 less calories, less than half the calories from fat, half the fat, and less cholesterol keeping in mind that the crunchy taco is one of the healthiest menu items at taco bell because it's nothing but a little bit of beef and shredded cheese and tons of lettuce on a corn tortilla, whereas everything else is slathered in mayo-based sauces, sour cream, and nacho cheese

Baku has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Feb 19, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Woden posted:

Desktops are dying, so Samsung, ARM and Google/Apple will just pull and end around like Intel/MS did to IBM and mainframes.

lol

perhaps you have never heard of the concept of market saturation that has started to apply to computers since they aren't obsolete after 2 years anymore, and you probably like to extrapolate exponential growth into the far future

you're well suited to become the new ceo of a company that is doing moderately well. you'll have no problems turning it around and quickly bringing it to the point of circling the drain.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

lol

GMO free isn't actually healthier, unless you are literally insane and will collapse from a panic attack upon seeing gmos in ingredients lists

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ArbitraryC posted:

if you build a cheapish PC every five years or so, buy a cheap haswell i3 and a gtx 950 for higher gaming performance and lower electricity bills

unless you for some reason want to do video editing on a crap tier pc there's no use case for an amd desktop processor

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bradzilla posted:

200 calories from fat
23.5g fat total
125mg cholesterol

It's crazy how bad for you the chips are

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

Desktops are cheaper

Chrome books are $150 and with a VDI setup you can run any application Linux or Windows from anywhere in the world. More secure too since if the chrome book gets lost or stolen all the data is stored on a central server that hosts all the desktop environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Chrome books are $150 and with a VDI setup you can run any application Linux or Windows from anywhere in the world. More secure too since if the chrome book gets lost or stolen all the data is stored on a central server that hosts all the desktop environments.

You seem to have fallen for the line that high speed low latency broadband access exists everywhere in the world.

The thin client model has been repackaged for sale to the public over and over and nobody ever really falls for it.

My experience is that working remotely sucks dog balls 90% of the time, that will probably continue for the time being.