Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Lil Hunter summoning IDPD actually makes him quite a bit easier, though-he can't attack for a couple seconds when he's doing that animation, just like landing, so it's one of the 2 times you should be unloading on him. He was much harder before he had that ability because of this.

I guess that's great if you can figure out that's what's going on and then be able to capitalize on it. My big problem with Lil' Hunter is it's so goddamned hard to figure out why he killed you. Every other enemy in the game has one of slow attacks, attacks that have a lot of lead-in, or attacks that can be avoided by simply keeping your distance (retrospective edit: gently caress crocodiles). No other enemy in the game (that I'm aware of, anyway) has his combination of agility and lethality at any range.

I had easily half a dozen runs make it to Lil' Hunter and then die without my even figuring out what had happened; he just appeared out of nowhere and boom, game over. Some kind of instant-replay of the last 5-10 seconds before your death would probably help there. I understand the desire to have a glass-cannon boss of some kind, but I found him intensely frustrating to deal with.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

IronicDongz posted:

Lil Hunter summoning IDPD actually makes him quite a bit easier, though-he can't attack for a couple seconds when he's doing that animation, just like landing, so it's one of the 2 times you should be unloading on him. He was much harder before he had that ability because of this.

The fact he doesn't do contact damage anymore (Well he hasn't done that for a while now) makes him infinitely easier than he used to be, because before he would just land on you, shave ~2 HP with his flames and then just jump on you and rip your face off with his contact damage before you can do anything.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

I actually wish you could do the opposite. The character sprites aren't great but they're fine enough that I'm okay with them. What fucks with me are the bigger-than-the-actual tile terrain tiles that overlap tiles above and it's unclear at a glance if the terrain is really blocked or not. It's almost exclusively the forest tiles though so any non-forest area is fine. I've trained myself to just use the pixel-map if it's ambiguous enough and I need to know that turn how to plan my path.

Marson's UI Mods actually have an option to fix the tall trees.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I guess that's great if you can figure out that's what's going on and then be able to capitalize on it. My big problem with Lil' Hunter is it's so goddamned hard to figure out why he killed you. Every other enemy in the game has one of slow attacks, attacks that have a lot of lead-in, or attacks that can be avoided by simply keeping your distance (retrospective edit: gently caress crocodiles). No other enemy in the game (that I'm aware of, anyway) has his combination of agility and lethality at any range.
IDK, I don't think it's crazy hard to make the connection between "he shot me" -> "I should use cover so he can't shoot me". By the point you're at lil hunter you should already be learning that cover is very helpful vs. projectile enemies, and his patterns are basically an extension of that-instead of getting to cover once, you have to reposition each time he leaps. And as soon as you've seen him leap a couple times, you should know what's up with that.

Jenx posted:

The fact he doesn't do contact damage anymore (Well he hasn't done that for a while now) makes him infinitely easier than he used to be, because before he would just land on you, shave ~2 HP with his flames and then just jump on you and rip your face off with his contact damage before you can do anything.
The only way he actually lands on you is if you're standing still, which again, is something that you should learn after it happens to you once.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I mean, to be fair, the first time you go "I should use cover so he can't shoot me" results in a hail of bouncing bullets that you can't dodge if you Chose Poorly. I can get past him more often than not now, but there was a major hump because there's just so many ways you can die in that fight.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
I would play one of these types of games on my phone

welp thats my post thanks for listening

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The Mantis posted:

Hoplite is a very good phone roguelike.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like gearhead

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Mantis posted:

Sword of Fargoal is pretty fun, if your phone happens to be an iPhone. Any ports of proper rogue-likes, like Nethack, I have found nearly unplayable on a phone, but Sword of Fargoal is just the right level of complexity that taking it out and playing a few rounds on the bus works.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Mantis posted:

Sproggiwood

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

The Mantis posted:

Sproggiwood, DCSS Online, Pixel Dungeon or Shattered Pixel Dungeon, Auro, 868-Hack if you are on iOS.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isaac posted:

I like gearhead

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Isaac posted:

I like gearhead

When the thread started downloading it I installed GH2. Someone in here said that using menu controls for mechs was way better so I turned that on but it was weird and clunky so I stopped playing.

Also I died horribly on the first mech fight somewhere in outser space. I dunno if it was over my power level or if I just lost because I was standing totally still and mashing the "shoot" button.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

When the thread started downloading it I installed GH2. Someone in here said that using menu controls for mechs was way better so I turned that on but it was weird and clunky so I stopped playing.

Also I died horribly on the first mech fight somewhere in outser space. I dunno if it was over my power level or if I just lost because I was standing totally still and mashing the "shoot" button.

I tried 2 for a little while and got confused. Now ive been playing 1 and im finding it easier to follow. I dont think either control style is very good but im using menu.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I posted about it way back, but never stand still in space combat. You don't have the advantage of ducking behind terrain in full on space maps with no objects. So the trick is to just keep as high of a speed as possible and try not to fly directly at an enemy unless you're ready to unload a poo poo ton of munitions at them. You can "drift" in space combat by just firing or waiting without lowering your speed to zero. So just ramp your thrusters and go at max speed while strafing the poo poo out of someone.

Also if you stand still at all you're pretty much hosed when it comes to mech combat in Gearhead. Excepting a few circumstances, it's very much a "realistic" mech game in that the dude with a gently caress-off huge gauss cannon designed to take out battleships will pulp whatever it hits if it manages to connect. Same with explosions. If you've played one of the Mechwarrior games, think about how if you just charge into an enemy lance (Gearhead even calls mech teams this.) in Mechwarrior you'll tend to get wrecked. The same thing is true here.

You want piloting to be a core skill as a result since it gives you a higher chance to flat out dodge attacks. And you want to learn to use forests and other natural terrain to cover yourself and stage ambushes. Especially useful is to hide in a forest and wait to ambush enemies. Since you can dart in and out to lose LOS on enemy mecha before they can retarget you/retarget you with their heaviest weapons after you unload your heavy weapons on them.

Though keep in mind the hiding in forest trick doesn't work if they can fly or boost upwards into the air. A few times i've tried it and taken out a bunch of enemies up until some rear end in a top hat with a rocket launcher or a bunch of missile launchers decided to rocket straight upwards and just incinerate the forest I was in. They usually overdo the amount of energy they use to move upwards and crash afterwards, damaging their legs. But one of the AI mecha taking one for the team doesn't really matter if there's two others that have already set up a killing field on anything that comes out of or is revealed by the forest being destroyed.

That's also why you want to take out jets ASAP. Since i'm pretty sure they can spot for their team all while unloading munitions at you. It's especially annoying if they have a core cannon (Think how an A-10 is basically built around a huge cannon. Only it shoots exploding bullets.) and can just periodically level whatever you happen to be using as physical or stealth cover.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 19, 2016

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

gearhead sounds fun so i grabbed it off the sourceforge.

trying to run it just throws errors though.

roguelikes hard.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I want to play gearhead 2 because loving up tryhard mechs in a space a10 sounds hilarious but I don't want tobplay a copy from 2008 and I ain't compiling poo poo lol

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I can throw up a pre-compiled copy of the latest version of both games later if people want.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Archonex posted:

I can throw up a pre-compiled copy of the latest version of both games later if people want.

I'd be interested in this!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

baram. posted:

gearhead sounds fun so i grabbed it off the sourceforge.

trying to run it just throws errors though.

roguelikes hard.

The error is that you didn't grab and install the sdlimage file, which is a separate download for no sane reason.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://mega.nz/#!NZUxwSjR!Tcb1aZa_xBq4WXWCzgDnrmgTBJcdjkHZbQ6tZdLqmqs

Doesn't have the new stuff off git but GH1's in the middle of an art revamp there and would probably be a mess. Extract the gh1-sdlwin.zip, then extract the sdlimage.zip on top of it. then run arena.exe to play.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Sword of Fargoal is pretty fun, if your phone happens to be an iPhone. Any ports of proper rogue-likes, like Nethack, I have found nearly unplayable on a phone, but Sword of Fargoal is just the right level of complexity that taking it out and playing a few rounds on the bus works.

I'm seeing both Sword of Fargoal and Sword of Fargoal Legends in the app store. Which should I be getting?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

hitting use overtop of the lava elemental soul to clear room to pick it up on a very long and tricky run of doomrl

sigh.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Here's Gearhead 2 prepackaged with two saves included. Let me know if it works. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ge4pyf2z5lnckbs/Gearhead%202.rar?dl=0

Some info on the saves, since I included one that's a good example of a really skilled mech pilot:

The Lira save shows off a bunch of features. She may or may not be on the token "entertainment" space colony. It's basically a theme park with a bunch of different activities like arena battling, minigames, etc, etc. Pilots and other major characters in the game world occasionally take vacations there. Which lets you shoot the poo poo with them and boost relations to get more people on your side. If not I probably left her on Yakate spinner, which is one of the core Rishiri space colonies. I forget.

Lira is a ridiculously lethal mech pilot that is part of the Rocket Stars faction. Which are a bunch of equally lethal mercenary mech pilots that work for a nation-state faction named the Rishiri Dominion. This influences missions you can get and I think relations to certain characters, amongst other things. I have her set up in a special suped up mech I was awarded for ranking up to corporal in the Rocket Stars, but if you want you can use the assault buru on Yakate Spinner. I recommend upgrading the Buru if you use it though since I stripped the CPU and other upgrades I put in it out to switch them to the suped up factional mech.

You can get a ton of missions by journeying between the Rishiri capital spinner (Whatever it's called. When you choose colonies to travel too via a ticket agent it'll mention it's the capital in the colony description.) and Yakate spinner. When on the former check the HQ to see if the dominion has any missions for you at their offices on the spinner. There's one admiral that sometimes travels through there that loves to have that character blow poo poo up. When on the latter check the Rocket Stars HQ or wait for an email. If there's any work you'll get an email to report to duty and you can just phone in for the job.

Alternatively, just talk to people and they'll give you rumors about jobs. You can poo poo Shift+T or check your rumors menu via the M key to call them and get a job afterwards. Law enforcement agencies might have a poo poo ton of jobs too since this save's story seems to be about pirates loving things up in the Dominion.

So long as you avoid out of mech combat Lira can pretty much curb stomp anything she comes up against. She has like 10+ piloting alone. Not counting an equally insane mech gunner skill. She can rack up insane amounts of cash by taking missions from the mercenary faction she's a part of or the nation they work for. Doing missions for the Rocket Stars will increase her rank as well, allowing access to a bunch of features, mechs, and items I don't recall offhand since I can't find the wiki to update myself on what gives what at each rank.

Just don't go wandering outside to other spinners outside the Dominion unless they're being invaded or have infiltrators suspected to be on the spinner. That seems like a bad idea given that the game specifically warned me that factions don't always get along.

The Markus save/character is basically my deadbeat hippy character. He's not nearly anywhere as rich, but the last time I tried a charisma based rock star character I ended up with a poo poo ton of lance mates who would happily curb stomp anything for me while he serenely strummed a guitar in the background. I haven't gotten far enough to get a bunch of ultra-violent mech piloting groupies on that run yet though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 19, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Archonex posted:

Here's Gearhead 2 prepackaged with two saves included. Let me know if it works. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ge4pyf2z5lnckbs/Gearhead%202.rar?dl=0

Some info on the saves, since I included one that's a good example of a really skilled mech pilot:

The Lira save shows off a bunch of features. She may or may not be on the token "entertainment" space colony. It's basically a theme park with a bunch of different activities like arena battling, minigames, etc, etc. Pilots and other major characters in the game world occasionally take vacations there. Which lets you shoot the poo poo with them and boost relations to get more people on your side. If not i'm probably on Yakate spinner, which is one of the core Rishiri space colonies. I forget.

Lira is a ridiculously lethal mech pilot that is part of the Rocket Stars faction. Which are a bunch of equally lethal mech pilots that work for a nation-state faction named the Rishiri Dominion. This influences missions you can get and I think relations to certain characters, amongst other things. I have her set up in a special suped up mech I was awarded for ranking up to corporal in the Rocket Stars, but if you want you can use the assault buru on Yakate Spinner. I recommend upgrading it though since I stripped the CPU and other upgrades I put in it out to switch to the suped up factional mech.

You can get a ton of missions by journeying between the Rishiri capital spinner (Whatever it's called. When you choose colonies to travel too via a ticket agent it'll mention it's the capital in the colony description.) and Yakate spinner. When on the former check the HQ to see if the dominion has any missions for you at their offices on the spinner. There's one admiral that sometimes travels through there that loves to have that character blow poo poo up. When on the latter check the Rocket Stars HQ or wait for an email. If there's any work you'll get an email to report to duty, and you can just phone in for the job.

Alternatively, just talk to people and they'll give you rumors about jobs. You can poo poo Shift+T or check your rumors menu via the M key to call them and get a job afterwards. Law enforcement agencies might have a poo poo ton of jobs too since this save's story seems to be about pirates loving things up in the Dominion.

So long as you avoid out of mech combat Lira can pretty much curb stomp anything she comes up against. She has like 10+ piloting alone. Not counting an equally insane mech gunner skill. She can rack up insane amounts of cash by taking missions from the mercenary faction she's a part of or the nation they work for. Doing missions for the Rocket Stars will increase her rank as well, allowing access to a bunch of features, mechs, and items I don't recall offhand since I can't find the wiki to update myself on what gives what at each rank.

Just don't go wandering outside to other spinners outside the Dominion unless they're being invaded or have infiltrators suspected to be on the spinner. That seems like a bad idea given that the game specifically warned me that factions don't always get along.

The Markus save/character is basically my deadbeat hippy character. He's not nearly anywhere as rich, but the last time I tried a charisma based rock star character I ended up with a poo poo ton of lance mates who would happily curb stomp anything for me while he serenely strummed a guitar in the background. I haven't gotten far enough to get a bunch of ultra-violent mech piloting groupies on that run yet though.

I had to tell Windows 10 that it was okay to run the program, but it's working fine so far! Thank you! (I have no idea what I'm doing so far, but I'll check out your saves in a mo.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'm seeing both Sword of Fargoal and Sword of Fargoal Legends in the app store. Which should I be getting?

:shrug:
I only every played the regular version, I think Legends has some enchantments or something?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

As an addendum to all those :words: here's some other gameplay tips:

I recommend using the change weapon button to choose the right weapon for the range a mech is at instead of auto attacking. The game tells you the weapon range and enemy mech range when attacking so it's easy to pick and choose. Knowing the optimal range of a weapon is pretty much essential if you want to play as a sniper when piloting mechs.

Save-wise the suped up mech has like four or five fully loaded launchers filled with a rare missile type strapped to its arms and legs. It also defaults to those since they can pretty much hit from just about any range and angle due to being overpowered as hell. If you use the rail musket it's carrying to incapacitate a target by shooting out it's legs the missiles will one shot pretty much anything since it can't dodge them. Strapping weapons to your arms and legs can give you extra angles to shoot from. Which is a nice :fuckoff: button you can press when you're fighting a speedy mech that likes to strafe you.

Pay attention to how many times a weapon can hit in one attack and if you fire in bursts. Swarm missiles are a good example of how powerful a weapon can be that looks weak as hell when you've just started playing. They're an extremely common but seemingly weak missile weapon you can find most cheap enemy mechs carrying. But if you read the stats (Which requires understanding all the abbreviations used to describe gear. :stare:) it becomes apparent that the sheer number of them you can fire at once will utterly destroy anything if it can't dodge an attack.

They're one of the big reasons a lot of people end up dying before they learn how the mech combat mechanics work. I've seen a member of one of my lance's drop like 800+ damage in one burst attack on the body of a mech. Which pretty much vaporized the enemy mech right off the map in one massive missile spewing attack.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 19, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Archonex posted:

They're one of the big reasons a lot of people end up dying before they learn how the mech combat mechanics work. I've seen a member of one of my lance's drop like 800+ damage in one burst attack on the body of a mech. Which pretty much vaporized the enemy mech right off the map in one massive missile spewing attack.

That happens a lot in GH1 once I finally get some Storm Pistols. Nothing, nothing, then 4 digit damage once I'm finally through their armor.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

dis astranagant posted:

https://mega.nz/#!NZUxwSjR!Tcb1aZa_xBq4WXWCzgDnrmgTBJcdjkHZbQ6tZdLqmqs

Doesn't have the new stuff off git but GH1's in the middle of an art revamp there and would probably be a mess. Extract the gh1-sdlwin.zip, then extract the sdlimage.zip on top of it. then run arena.exe to play.

thank you.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Rutibex posted:

Any ports of proper rogue-likes, like Nethack, I have found nearly unplayable on a phone
There is a better new option! Pathos (http://pathos.x10host.com/) is a Nethack remake designed from the ground up as a mobile game. I tried it recently and it's done a really nice job of removing the tedium associated with playing traditional roguelikes on mobile. It's still WIP, but what's there is already very impressive and worth checking out for anyone who would like to enjoy their favorite masochistic roguelike in mobile form. (Available for iOS, Android, and there's even a Windows desktop version.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kyzrati posted:

There is a better new option! Pathos (http://pathos.x10host.com/) is a Nethack remake designed from the ground up as a mobile game. I tried it recently and it's done a really nice job of removing the tedium associated with playing traditional roguelikes on mobile. It's still WIP, but what's there is already very impressive and worth checking out for anyone who would like to enjoy their favorite masochistic roguelike in mobile form. (Available for iOS, Android, and there's even a Windows desktop version.)

I've tried this too. It's pretty good.

It's still nethack though.

I'm all about Cardinal Quest and Hoplite on my android.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

Archonex posted:

Thanks! Nice to not have to deal with all that freepascal nonsense.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Jordan7hm posted:

I've tried this too. It's pretty good.

It's still nethack though.

I'm all about Cardinal Quest and Hoplite on my android.

Hoplite is my favorite thing about my phone. I remember being kinda underwhelmed by Cardinal Quest but I'm thinking I might give it a try because of your post. Would you say to go straight to CQ2 in my case?

I also might want to check out Aero, as it sort of seems like Hoplite in some ways.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No, CQ2 is fine but I like the simplicity of CQ a lot more.

It's a fairly easy game, perfect for short plays on phones. Because of the way your skills are based on runs that drop randomly you can get some cool character builds (all classes use all skills). CQ2 has that too but it's just too big. The game isn't deep enough to have filler.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kyzrati posted:

:eyepop:
You weren't wrong, the interface on this game is 1000% better than any Nethack phone port I have seen to date. It's free too, which I find amazing. Thanks for the tip, I am going to get a lot of use out of Pathos :D

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

All this talk about Gearhead combined with my playing of Armoured Commander has me imagining a Mecha game with similar style of play as ArmCom. :allears:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Kyzrati posted:

Dang, this interface is amazing. Outclasses several of the native roguelikes I've tried on my iPad. I know bugger-all about Nethack so all I've accomplished is faffing about on the starting levels, but I'm really liking it.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Surprised me as well, but like Jordan7hm said, it's still Nethack :suicide:

At least the barrier to reach your next ridiculous death is that much lower, so I guess there's that! Also, the dev plans to eventually branch out and change the game with new features--it's not a direct port, so maybe some other aspects will improve, too. The UI is a great start.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Well since we're on the topic of mobile Nethacklikes there's Wazhack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

General Emergency posted:

Well since we're on the topic of mobile Nethacklikes there's Wazhack.

That game was weirder than I thought it would be. I ended up dying because I was hallucinating and seeing shapes and rainbow colors and couldn't figure out how to do anything. So yeah, I guess it's a lot like Nethack