Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Bombadil posted:

It's not exactly not true.

What isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

How many buildings have you been in where you have to go up two floors around a curve, a detour to open a locked door, then down the elevator three floors then up some stairs to get to the other side of a wall? I'm willing to bet the answer is nearly zero, humans think in 2d most of the time.

Some highly secure buildings MIGHT be laid out like that, but even that's pretty unlikely.

That nearly describes one of the classroom buildings on my old college campus, place was a bastard to get around.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

fishmech posted:

That nearly describes one of the classroom buildings on my old college campus, place was a bastard to get around.

Yeah that's the other reason I had to say 'nearly'. You get buildings that have had wings added a dozen times, all of them designed by 'artistic' architects, and you end up with a clusterfuck. But that's kind of the opposite of good architecture so?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bullet3 posted:

Serious Sam has no level structure and is a loving repetitive series of open spaces with 1000 enemies.

The beauty of Doom that both Serious Sam and Painkiller fail to capture is the tight, exploration-focused level design combined with intense combat.

Welcome to modern doom wads.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Calling it Retard 4 makes sense, I meant.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Calling it Retard 4 makes sense, I meant.

Yeah that's why I have been calling it that

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Also this is the best Doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNPBVGalZHA

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've never been able to get into Serious Sam. Its only remotely like Doom really, the gigantic open spaces and constant back-pedaling are very different from doom's ice-skating around level geometry to slap some monster in the face with the SSG.

And a big thing in doom is how you have to handle different enemies differently, when you run into a group you've gotta dance around and think about who to shoot first. With Serious Sam you just hold backwards and shoot until all the things chasing you die.

Compared to serious sam, doom's enemies practically stand still.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/doom-box-comic/

LIIINDA!

:lol:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

Yeah that's the other reason I had to say 'nearly'. You get buildings that have had wings added a dozen times, all of them designed by 'artistic' architects, and you end up with a clusterfuck. But that's kind of the opposite of good architecture so?

And which sort of building is a game set in a partially hell-transformed world going to have more of? The plain jane regular floor design building, or something that's all hosed up and weird inside?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Linguica posted:

Look at how the bump mapping makes the guy's coat have a weird unnatural sheen to it.

So let's turn off the bump mapping, that will make the "plastic" look go away.

Wait uh

You can't post images of that guy without posting the stuff he types on his monitor

Man I really loved Doom 3. The audio logs were still the best audio logs in any game I've played. Course I played through it before I picked up HL2 so the experience wasn't tainted by how amazing HL2 was.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 19, 2016

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Welcome to modern doom wads.
This is false.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its true of bad doom wads, which existed before and exist now. But its not true of good doom wads, of which there are several modern ones

https://www.doomworld.com/22years/

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
just got to the posts about painkiller having bad level design

sa games posters continue to be forgetful psychos

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oswald ownenstein posted:

You can't post images of that guy without posting the stuff he types on his monitor

Man I really loved Doom 3. The audio logs were still the best audio logs in any game I've played. Course I played through it before I picked up HL2 so the experience wasn't tainted by how amazing HL2 was.

Doom 3 had some good stuff near the end, it only had 2 boss fights though. I really liked the story of it going through the logs.

There was one of those rooms you follow the robot, the last one you don't get a light. I ran through there with the shotgun waiting for the imps to start their fireballs to show me where too shoot was really fun. I bought the ultimate edition but never really played it, the game is really dated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Doom 3 had some good stuff near the end, it only had 2 boss fights though. I really liked the story of it going through the logs.

There was one of those rooms you follow the robot, the last one you don't get a light. I ran through there with the shotgun waiting for the imps to start their fireballs to show me where too shoot was really fun. I bought the ultimate edition but never really played it, the game is really dated.

To be fair Quake only had 2 boss fights also :cheeky: And the end boss was pretty weird too. The first guy was okay though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zaphod42 posted:

Its true of bad doom wads, which existed before and exist now. But its not true of good doom wads, of which there are several modern ones

https://www.doomworld.com/22years/

Even good wads tend to throw in levels with 300 monsters like it aint no thang.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Panzeh posted:

You didn't say not have 300 or more monsters, though.

I tend to prefer the smaller bite-sized levels (that recent rf1024 or whatever was like a dream come true, even though I don't actually prefer the artificial spatial constraints) but a properly balanced 300-monster map is also great.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
For people who like Doom 3, and like Doom WADs, check out RTC 3057. Make sure to check the read-me and use the version of Zdoom it specifies, since some later versions broke compatibility with some of the scripting it uses.

E: I should warn people: this is not a "classic" Doom level pack. It's one of the more complex Wads ever released.

Made by the same folks who are making Doom 3: Phobos.

/shameless plug

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

just got to the posts about painkiller having bad level design

sa games posters continue to be forgetful psychos

Well, they were a step up from serious sam by actually being varied and interesting to look at sometimes, but it was just "oh, you defeated everyone in this arena? Okay this locked door is now open, please proceed to the next arena where everyone spontaneously spawns in around you, and you kill them to unlock the next door to the next area." It is incredibly forced and the enemies are boring to fight most of the time. I forced myself through it, but I don't think I'll ever willing play painkiller ever again. Not to say that there weren't some levels in there that broke the mold, the amusement park comes to mind.

Shadow warrior was the same, but actually had a decent overarching story as well, and varied the enemies sometimes. I found the guns boring to play with though.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Panzeh posted:

A number like that in isolation means absolutely nothing. Three hundred imps or zombiemen in a box can be dispatched in a minute or three hundred high tier monsters can be drip fed to you across a gruelling hour long trek.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AirRaid posted:

For people who like Doom 3, and like Doom WADs, check out RTC 3057. Make sure to check the read-me and use the version of Zdoom it specifies, since some later versions broke compatibility with some of the scripting it uses.

E: I should warn people: this is not a "classic" Doom level pack. It's one of the more complex Wads ever released.

Made by the same folks who are making Doom 3: Phobos.

/shameless plug

These both actually look pretty cool, I'll download em and check it out after work.

Shameless plug means you worked on these, right? Nice dude. Or are you just a fan?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Broose posted:

Well, they were a step up from serious sam by actually being varied and interesting to look at sometimes, but it was just "oh, you defeated everyone in this arena? Okay this locked door is now open, please proceed to the next arena where everyone spontaneously spawns in around you, and you kill them to unlock the next door to the next area." It is incredibly forced and the enemies are boring to fight most of the time. I forced myself through it, but I don't think I'll ever willing play painkiller ever again. Not to say that there weren't some levels in there that broke the mold, the amusement park comes to mind.

Shadow warrior was the same, but actually had a decent overarching story as well, and varied the enemies sometimes. I found the guns boring to play with though.

Serious Sam is not a serious game. It's meant to be played in a lan on the highest difficulty with unlimited spawns.

Serious Sam SE is the best, serious Sam 2 is complete poo poo, serious Sam BFE was pretty good!

Last level of BFE actually felt like a SE level, it took like 4 hours to play it with hundreds of monsters on the screen.

gently caress those were good games.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zaphod42 posted:

These both actually look pretty cool, I'll download em and check it out after work.

Shameless plug means you worked on these, right? Nice dude. Or are you just a fan?

Yeah I'm part of that team (I don't do any actual mapping though because I'm bad at that). I just did testing for RTC3057.

Phobos isn't done yet, and won't be before Doom '16 comes out, but it will be awesome. It's more than just new maps, we've overhauled most of the weapons, fixed nearly every complaint I've seen in here (weak shotgun, bad sounds etc). It's a real blast to play, and the guys making the maps and setting up the fights are really good at what they do. And we have a goddamn arachnotron.

Old teaser from a couple years back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUIbbVeLl2g

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 19, 2016

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Tbh I found the game scary as gently caress. As in I couldn't play more than a few hours w/o getting too creeped out. Hadn't really played any survival horror games before that.

About halfway through either due to the change in level design or just getting psychologically hardened, it shifted into more of blasting poo poo.

Still remember that early sequence where the guy is like "up here!" and I'm like "yes. lets just live here and wait this whole thing out"

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
i liked Romero's new version of E1M8 he put out earlier this year

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I love Doom 3, but by the time the game gets going there's only 7 levels left. Everything from the beginning until you reach Hell, which is around 17 levels I think? Is almost always Imps, Imps and more Imps, all which you can instakill with your shotgun while they're doing their teleport/growling animation. By the time the game starts varying up enemies, switching to mid-long range encounters, and getting somewhat challenging, there's only two hours left, tops. The Resurrection of Evil expansion pack was a bit better about this despite its love for that new enemy they introduced (that faster Imp variant), but it also had that lovely gimmick artefact that trivialized a lot of the combat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tbh I found the game scary as gently caress. As in I couldn't play more than a few hours w/o getting too creeped out. Hadn't really played any survival horror games before that.

About halfway through either due to the change in level design or just getting psychologically hardened, it shifted into more of blasting poo poo.

Still remember that early sequence where the guy is like "up here!" and I'm like "yes. lets just live here and wait this whole thing out"

After the floaters chased the truck I was like :frogout:. But I just toughed through it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I made a tweet to a bunch of old school id Software people saying they should play some Doom deathmatch for charity:

https://twitter.com/xenomrph/status/700399319019425792

3 of the 5 people I name dropped seemed to like the idea.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They should just make a "Retro" Doom4 that uses the Doom2 engine with maybe 2 new weapons, one new monster, and levels by the original guys.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

GUI posted:

I love Doom 3, but by the time the game gets going there's only 7 levels left. Everything from the beginning until you reach Hell, which is around 17 levels I think? Is almost always Imps, Imps and more Imps, all which you can instakill with your shotgun while they're doing their teleport/growling animation. By the time the game starts varying up enemies, switching to mid-long range encounters, and getting somewhat challenging, there's only two hours left, tops. The Resurrection of Evil expansion pack was a bit better about this despite its love for that new enemy they introduced (that faster Imp variant), but it also had that lovely gimmick artefact that trivialized a lot of the combat.

The regular doom 3 artifact made the game super easy too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Philthy posted:

They should just make a "Retro" Doom4 that uses the Doom2 engine with maybe 2 new weapons, one new monster, and levels by the original guys.

Honestly that's not a bad idea at all. The overhead cost would be loving minimal compared to any kind of modern game budget, and you could get a huge amount of sales just off the names of Romero and co, and you gotta imagine that Romero would probably be down for it. He just pushed out a new classic doom map even!

Bundle up a few maps from each of them and make it like Doom 1 Episode 5 or somthing. The same way they did Final Doom ep 4 Thy Flesh Consumed after doom 2. (or around the same time?)

In fact, if Bethesda was really smart they'd go ahead and do that as a promotion for DOOM not-4.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

One of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKTGBw1lMYo

Seriously - there's a ton of them and they really help tell the story of Doom3. The gunplay was just ok in that game, but the gameplay experience was really engrossing for me.

And they have to get some love for the way they incorporated the touchpads and cursor seamlessly into the game for when you were unlocking cabinets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

One of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKTGBw1lMYo

Seriously - there's a ton of them and they really help tell the story of Doom3. The gunplay was just ok in that game, but the gameplay experience was really engrossing for me.

And they have to get some love for the way they incorporated the touchpads and cursor seamlessly into the game for when you were unlocking cabinets.

Its weird, Bioshock gets all the credit for the audio logs, but Doom 3 actually came out first didn't it? And yet when I think about it, even in my memory it feels like doom "copied" bioshock. But that makes no sense. Well, for that matter I guess System Shock came out first and did the same thing too.

But yeah, the seamless interaction with touchpads was loving awesome, I posted in this thread awhile back that it was definitely one of the more impressive things about doom 3, really unique. I mean to this day I can't even think of another game that did that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Its weird, Bioshock gets all the credit for the audio logs

Thats because it was on the Xbox and all the kids who played Halo(The First First Person Shooter, online multiplayer game). I'm pretty sure a ton of games had audio logs.

System Shock 2 had audio logs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

Thats because it was on the Xbox and all the kids who played Halo(The First First Person Shooter, online multiplayer game). I'm pretty sure a ton of games had audio logs.

System Shock 2 had audio logs.

Yeah, I remember the Doom3 devs saying the audio logs were an homage to System Shock 2.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

fishmech posted:

And which sort of building is a game set in a partially hell-transformed world going to have more of? The plain jane regular floor design building, or something that's all hosed up and weird inside?

hosed up weird ones. Which is why the automap is important, a building that the player can't navigate in is a bad thing but you want the architecture to be a bit weird. So you give them tools to navigate.

That's not Swan Fox

WHOOPS!

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Zaphod42 posted:

The QTE kills are one of my biggest turn-offs of the game right now.

However, if you watch the video where they talk about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8qfIY4RqWs they're at least thinking about it in the right way.

Most of them are pretty short and quick, there's multiple per monster based on like where you're facing or looking at the monster so you won't see the same animation repeat over and over, and it sounds like some of them can be early-cancelled.

They describe it like being a kung fu action movie star like Jackie Chan, where you're moving around real fast, kick this guy, punch this guy, shoot this guy, and then keep running. That's good. "we have very strict time limits on how long they can last."

I don't see why they don't make semi-interactive QTEs; like where the animation plays but you can choose when your guy chops the sword or fires the gun or whatever. So you can have them all long and drawn out or just pull the trigger for a quick gore kill.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The fight about QTE's begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

hosed up weird ones. Which is why the automap is important, a building that the player can't navigate in is a bad thing but you want the architecture to be a bit weird. So you give them tools to navigate.

And the problem is, it's hard to implement a good automap when you've got the weird architecture that most needs an automap, once it's no longer 1993/1994 where everything is on a single level, as far as the level design goes.