Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Does this include the Disney Channel movie where he plays a mentally handicapped teenager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Elfgames posted:

yeah they should get a real robot to play astro boy

the kid in Room was good though?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Devin is good (I always liked his articles on exploitation movies), The Canon is alright and that's all I have to say about that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

God that'd be badass

They have cool names.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Let's remake Oblivion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGopxZkdcIg

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

shadowvine118 posted:

Does this include the Disney Channel movie where he plays a mentally handicapped teenager?

Yes. The Even Stevens tv movie was also on, and, just to gauge by Shia's reactions, it holds up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Gordon Freeman's new HEV Suit just doesn't do it for me.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
What more can be said, other than "lol Tom Sizemore"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Marketing New Brain posted:

An odd choice for G-man, that's for sure.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Pretty sure I know where this plot is going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvglodUIcA

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am genuinely surprised that Valve did not protect the Half-Life trademark from film usage.

Then again, considering this is from "Epic Pictures Group" rather than a proper studio it may be a situation where someone just thought they could sneak a trademark violation by. Edit: Another option occurred to me, they may be stupid enough to think that the publicity they'll get from having a fuss made and changing the title is better promotion than they could do on their own.

The obligatory joke: "We'll get a Half-Life 3 from this sooner than the games. :v:"

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 18, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I am genuinely surprised that Valve did not protect the Half-Life trademark from film usage.

Valve's Half-Life trademark is for "computer game software and instruction manuals sold therewith." Might be impractical for them to get broader trademark ownership when it's a preexisting term.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Valve's Half-Life trademark is for "computer game software and instruction manuals sold therewith." Might be impractical for them to get broader trademark ownership when it's a preexisting term.

How hard is it to get a trademark? Didn't Taylor Swift trademark "1989" and the Candy Crush people trademark "saga"? Trademarking Half-Life seems like a step above those, at least.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

How hard is it to get a trademark? Didn't Taylor Swift trademark "1989" and the Candy Crush people trademark "saga"? Trademarking Half-Life seems like a step above those, at least.

Trademarks have a limited scope and the more generic the term the narrower the scope you're going to be allowed and the closer the similarity is going to need to be for you to enforce.

Though your point is basically right. The Half-Life trademark is exclusive to "computer game software and instruction manuals sold therewith" and it isn't at all clear to me that Valve wouldn't have been able to get one for entertainment products in general.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Also, the movie doesn't have the "-".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
As long as they don't set it in Black Mesa or make the main villain a giant alien fetus I don't think they have much to worry about.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also half-life is a normal scientific term.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I was born in 1989 so it loving pisses me off that I have to cut Taylor Swift a royalty check every time I enter my DOB because that's how copyright laws work

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Corek posted:

Valve should just copyright Resonance Cascade, instead.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

Also, the movie doesn't have the "-".

Yeah, a ~ is totally different!

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I was born in 1989 so it loving pisses me off that I have to cut Taylor Swift a royalty check every time I enter my DOB because that's how copyright laws work

As long as you follow it up with brought to you by Carl's Jr. It actually cancels out.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Emily Blunt is the new Mary Poppins, making a film about rich children who are raised by a nanny something I might slightly want to see in the world of 2016 income inequality.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tars Tarkas posted:

Emily Blunt is the new Mary Poppins, making a film about rich children who are raised by a nanny something I might slightly want to see in the world of 2016 income inequality.

Huh, it's a sequel set in the 1930s.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Emily Blunt is mai waifu, so shut your face.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corek posted:

I dream of the day that whenever a discussion of trademarks comes up online I will no longer have to point out the hundreds of everyday companies and products whose name is a common English word that is also trademarked in that context.

Perhaps after that day comes, I won't have to explain to people that trademark and copyright aren't the same thing again... :allears:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Weird. I would have thought they'd try to shop it around as a movie in which case they'd have no trouble getting the broader trademark. But it sounds like Epic Films has their ducks in a row on this one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

once long ago i went to a cabin with my family and it had some old stephen king books. i read the story "the mist" and went hmm this sounds a lot like half-life. turns out half-life's project name was quiver after project arrowhead from the short story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tars Tarkas posted:

No-nonsense Mary Poppins would be hilarious. Everytime a number gets started she could just cut it off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No-nonsense Mary Poppins would be hilarious. Everytime a number gets started she could just cut it off.
She could shoot the kids in the face. On a more serious note maybe Dick VanDyke can keep living so he can cameo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
New Bond film looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5R0bI8EJCQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nah, it's clearly reverse 48 hours. Does look good though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

effectual posted:

Yeah, a ~ is totally different!

Imma go out and make a Spider~Man movie right the gently caress now!

Marketing New Brain posted:

Exactly my thoughts. Would it be appropriate to call Tom Sizemore a poor man's Michael Madsen?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

oh man this gives me a weird italian exploitation feel of being an obviously eurotrashy movie where all the major characters have pretend american accents for no real reason

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Jean Reno had a TV series doing that a few years ago, Jo, and it was cancelled after one series because it turns out that no-one gives a poo poo about Paris if you try your hardest to make it seem as American as possible (q.v. Bugs which did the same thing with London in the 90s)

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Finally my ww2 London Mary Poppins film is happening. I hope she takes down some bombers with her umbrella

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Real 80s Kids turned to necromancers and have brought back Cannon Films, and are making films called America Ninja Apprentice, Zombi:They Live!, and Return of The Delta Force. This is a totally new company that is named after the old one and promises to uphold the ideals blah blah blah and how dare you insinuate these films aren't totally original ideas that just have homage title names for the "genre appreciating" audience.

https://twitter.com/CannonFilmsLtd/status/700725818830385153

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/02/cannon-films-are-coming-back-and-producing-america-ninja-apprentice-and-return-of-the-delta-force.html

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

I'm really disappointed that this isn't just a Luc Besson remake of Independence Day.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

American Ninja Apprentice better have Michael Dudikoff dressed as Donald Trump, roundhouse kicking failed apprentices while saying "You're kicked from the team".

Just sayin'.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Real 80s Kids turned to necromancers and have brought back Cannon Films, and are making films called America Ninja Apprentice, Zombi:They Live!, and Return of The Delta Force. This is a totally new company that is named after the old one and promises to uphold the ideals blah blah blah and how dare you insinuate these films aren't totally original ideas that just have homage title names for the "genre appreciating" audience.
I liked Electric Boogaloo too guys, but come on.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 20, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A shady company ripping off Cannon is basically what Cannon always deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Bastille Day is my birthday! :)

They should hold it back and open it on the actual Bastille Day.

• Locked thread