Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Apple2o posted:

I don't see why they don't make semi-interactive QTEs; like where the animation plays but you can choose when your guy chops the sword or fires the gun or whatever. So you can have them all long and drawn out or just pull the trigger for a quick gore kill.

Supposedly it does work this way based on like where you're looking when you press the melee button? They're supposed to have multiple animations.

We'll see how it all plays out in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oswald ownenstein posted:

One of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKTGBw1lMYo

Seriously - there's a ton of them and they really help tell the story of Doom3. The gunplay was just ok in that game, but the gameplay experience was really engrossing for me.

And they have to get some love for the way they incorporated the touchpads and cursor seamlessly into the game for when you were unlocking cabinets.

id be cool with new DOOM having audio logs or optional story telling stuff like that.

Zaphod42 posted:

Supposedly it does work this way based on like where you're looking when you press the melee button? They're supposed to have multiple animations.

We'll see how it all plays out in practice.

I have heard it works more like cods/fps melee button stuff. its just a longer animation kill.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oswald ownenstein posted:

And they have to get some love for the way they incorporated the touchpads and cursor seamlessly into the game for when you were unlocking cabinets.

Zaphod42 posted:

But yeah, the seamless interaction with touchpads was loving awesome
What does this mean?

(I played a tiny amount of Doom 3 and either didn't see or didn't notice whatever you're talking about)

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

What does this mean?

(I played a tiny amount of Doom 3 and either didn't see or didn't notice whatever you're talking about)

When you looked at a computer screen your crosshair would turn into a mouse cursor and you'd use them similar to an actual computer.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have heard it works more like cods/fps melee button stuff. its just a longer animation kill.

You have heard wrong. Zaphod is correct, glory kills are contextual based on where you're looking when you start it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whether or not the melee animations are weird or not I just want to say that whoever thought up the name "glory kill," or thought it was good enough to keep, should be glory killed.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Introducing the new Glory Hole finisher! You blow a hole through a monsters chest, and the monster behind them SUCKS YOUR DICK! LOL!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tiggum posted:

What does this mean?

Doom 3 is full of touch panels like this

and this

Which, in a normal videogame, you'd be lucky if they were real screens that updated and animated and not just a static texture. And then in a normal game you'd press E and it'd go to a separate pop-up window for you to interact with the computer screen, and you'd use your keyboard to navigate the elements. Think of how you use computers in Fallout, or anything really.

Well, in Doom instead you'd just walk up and mouse over them, and your crosshair turned into the mouse cursor and you could just click on GUI elements naturally, and your view never pulled away, and you never lost control. It was really cool and I don't think any other game has ever done it. (Did Quake 4 have it? That'd be the only one)

Kazvall posted:

Introducing the new Glory Hole finisher! You blow a hole through a monsters chest, and the monster behind them SUCKS YOUR DICK! LOL!

Nah that was in Bulletstorm :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 20, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the doom books went an incredibly weird direction after the second book.

the story is much better than doom 3.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

How can you dislike erection levers.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Are there any decent Doom 3 mods out there?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Doom books were one of many examples of Doom spin off stuff making ABSOLUTELY SURE not to include demons or hell in their story based on a game about demons from hell.

There are a pair of Doom3 novels that came out around 2008/2009, they don't outright say the monsters aren't demons from hell like other stuff did, but they're pretty noncommittal.

I really liked the story in Doom3, to be honest. I'm replaying the old Doom games in anticipation of the new one, I just wrapped up Doom 1 episode 4. That episode has some real motherfuckers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well the Doom books were written by a weird mormon guy who got heavy into mormon stuff in the later books.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I liked the doom books. They're not high literature but they were entertaining and kind of weird, especially the 4th book.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Xenomrph posted:

There are a pair of Doom3 novels that came out around 2008/2009, they don't outright say the monsters aren't demons from hell like other stuff did, but they're pretty noncommittal.

They at least were overt about the monsters being from a horrible alternate dimension (the protagonist calls it a "death universe," I believe). If the monsters weren't from hell in the classical sense, they were at least alien in the Lovecraftian use of the term, rather than the Star Trek sense as happened with the Dafydd ab Hugh novels. I enjoyed the Doom3 novels about as much as I've ever enjoyed any tie-in fiction and I wish they hadn't cancelled the third.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cool idea for a mortal konbat finisher:

You punch a hole in the guys chest killing him and then his ghost sucks your dick through the hole lol

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I'm getting mixed up here. Does the game still allow you to run sideways at 30mph, reload and fire double-barreled shotgun in less than a second, rapid-fire rockets, carry 8 weapons at a time, never use cover, and get hopelessly lost in a level for several minutes at a time? If not, I will not buy.

Can you ignore the gimmicky glory kills, or are they doing that stupid thing where instead of simply killing an enemy, they get stunned and you have to use the cutscene attack? I don't know if glory kills are just an extra feature you can take advantage of or some dumb bullshit that slows you down.

I would love to play an HD Doom game, but only if it is just that, an HD Doom game. If this game feels too much like a modern FPS and not just Brutal Doom with better graphics, I will probably just stick to Brutal Doom instead of buying this.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

weird. loving double posts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Skeleton King posted:

I'm getting mixed up here. Does the game still allow you to run sideways at 30mph, reload and fire double-barreled shotgun in less than a second, rapid-fire rockets, carry 8 weapons at a time, never use cover, and get hopelessly lost in a level for several minutes at a time? If not, I will not buy.

Can you ignore the gimmicky glory kills, or are they doing that stupid thing where instead of simply killing an enemy, they get stunned and you have to use the cutscene attack? I don't know if glory kills are just an extra feature you can take advantage of or some dumb bullshit that slows you down.

I would love to play an HD Doom game, but only if it is just that, an HD Doom game. If this game feels too much like a modern FPS and not just Brutal Doom with better graphics, I will probably just stick to Brutal Doom instead of buying this.

the game isn't out yet

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

Try reading the thread as we've discussed these points already :effort:

You can run fast, but not quake3 fast. You do have a double-barreled shotgun and you can slap enemies in the side with it to murder them. You can rapid-fire rockets and carry 8 weapons at a time.

We do not know how labyrinthine levels will be.

You can ignore the kills and no, it isn't like you can't kill them without them. However, killing them seems to give you some bonus like healing you, so it may be harder without.

Its not going to be anything like Brutal Doom, and Brutal Doom isn't even all that much like Doom. Go ahead and stick to Brutal Doom nobody cares.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

BRUTAL DOOM DERAIL INC IN...

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should let you rape or be raped by demons in Retard 4

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Whether or not the melee animations are weird or not I just want to say that whoever thought up the name "glory kill," or thought it was good enough to keep, should be glory killed.

Go back to Undertale, you milquetoast pansy. RIP AND TEAR, RIP AND TEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maels
Jan 22, 2004

Rotund Lord of Shit Mountain
This bullshit game costs $81 on my Steam. gently caress this game, gently caress Dark Souls 3 for also being $81.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

project brutality is better than brutal doom

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

They should let you rape or be raped by demons in Retard 4

HDoom exists, buddy.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazvall posted:

HDoom exists, buddy.

Post some screens I'm at work

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Hell looks really stupid

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

Post some screens I'm at work

I will not post hentai sprites getting hosed and instant-cummed here, no sir. You will have to discover HDOOM on your own.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazvall posted:

I will not post hentai sprites getting hosed and instant-cummed here, no sir. You will have to discover HDOOM on your own.

Can you just give me a link plz

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Romero obviously doesn't read Playboy for the articles.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Rocket Pan posted:

Remember kids, you too can become a BFG pro with one simple guideline; 40 tracers are emitted in a cone from the player at the angle of the BFGBall you fired. The cone is from you. The angle is from the projectile.

yeah, the angle at which the tracers come from on the BFG are based on the direction you were facing while firing the BFG itself

also the BFG's main damage isn't from the ball itself, but from getting up close and letting the 40 tracers, which do not horizontally auto-aim, do max damage

you can two-shot cyberdemons that way with good RNG

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Try reading the thread as we've discussed these points already :effort:

You can run fast, but not quake3 fast. You do have a double-barreled shotgun and you can slap enemies in the side with it to murder them. You can rapid-fire rockets and carry 8 weapons at a time.

We do not know how labyrinthine levels will be.

You can ignore the kills and no, it isn't like you can't kill them without them. However, killing them seems to give you some bonus like healing you, so it may be harder without.

Its not going to be anything like Brutal Doom, and Brutal Doom isn't even all that much like Doom. Go ahead and stick to Brutal Doom nobody cares.
word!?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Games like Skyrim are fully 3d and have dungeons with room-over-room and they manage to have maps that, while they aren't perfect, aren't useless either :shrug:

Uhh what do you think this is, a Bethesda game? This is doom lol

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Uhh what do you think this is, a Bethesda game? This is doom lol

More like MOOD

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Gonna be honest, I am just gay for the cacodemon design. That is the only thing I'm liking about this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Broose posted:

Gonna be honest, I am just gay for the cacodemon design. That is the only thing I'm liking about this game.

The big ol' Baron of Hell who rips you in half is my boom-boom (is that the proper term?) in this so far. Caco is kawaii though no doubt about it.