Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes and Renault are the only ones spending enough to actually win titles anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

I'm questioning the assumption that Haas ever intends his team to be contending for anything beyond the midfield

i'm fairly certain he has said something silly like wanting to win a race in five years

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

i'm fairly certain he has said something silly like wanting to win a race in five years

:lol: Well maybe if everyone chants U-S-A U-S-A enough they can do it?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

:lol: Well maybe if everyone chants U-S-A U-S-A enough they can do it?

he really thinks that because he won a title in NASCAR while buying engines from hendricks that he can do the same thing in F1. but more likely i think he'll realize that's not the case and drastically change his plans.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm making the assumption he's not that naive, and he's satisfied with the prestige of owning an F1 team and the marketing/networking opportunities he'll get from it, while keeping the costs as low as he can. But I have a tendency to be very cynical, maybe he is just taking the opportunity to live out a dream.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

he's also claimed he can turn a profit from F1

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

OK he's a dangerous lunatic then, good to know

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

OK he's a dangerous lunatic then, good to know

yeah i try not to think about it too much

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

I suspect that calculation factors in increased machine tool sales from greater international brand exposure.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If haas come middle of the table then they probably can turn a profit. Even if you don't take into account sales gained via being a rolling billboard, the reason other mid field teams like Sauber, Force India and Lotus are in the hole is because they are owned by investment companies who expect a chunk of the winnings from the prize pot, or are just simply owned by thieving wankers, which leaves them with nothing left to develop next years car, so they are forced to go to investment companies who...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nill posted:

I suspect that calculation factors in increased machine tool sales from greater international brand exposure.

Whoa Ron Dennis account spotted

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

If haas come middle of the table then they probably can turn a profit. Even if you don't take into account sales gained via being a rolling billboard, the reason other mid field teams like Sauber, Force India and Lotus are in the hole is because they are owned by investment companies who expect a chunk of the winnings from the prize pot, or are just simply owned by thieving wankers, which leaves them with nothing left to develop next years car, so they are forced to go to investment companies who...

none of that applies to sauber, which is owned by sauber

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

El Hefe posted:

Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes and Renault are the only ones spending enough to actually win titles anyway.

Red Bull, not Renault. The latter will barely be spending enough to compete for the podium.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Riso posted:

Red Bull, not Renault. The latter will barely be spending enough to compete for the podium.

Ah yes RB too, Renault are spending quite a bit on the engines actually.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

none of that applies to sauber, which is owned by sauber

Which is where the thieving wankers bit comes in, Sauber are so inept at finances they signed five drivers for 2015, took four lots of money (Jules was the fifth) and then thought they could keep it. I know he's a bit of a twat and all but they still have Adrian Sutil's money which has meant he could not get a drive in another series for 2015 or 2016.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Which is where the thieving wankers bit comes in, Sauber are so inept at finances they signed five drivers for 2015, took four lots of money (Jules was the fifth) and then thought they could keep it. I know he's a bit of a twat and all but they still have Adrian Sutil's money which has meant he could not get a drive in another series for 2015 or 2016.

odd that sauber is the only team that gets raked over the coals for doing something that's 1% as evil as the poo poo F1 teams pull every drat day

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

giedo van der garde is a poo poo pay driver, adrian sutil is a poo poo person and driver, why are people leaping to their defense. i really could not care less about anything in the whole world. meanwhile ferrari bends over backwards to refuse to abide by tobacco advertising bans and no one gives a gently caress. but god forbid sauber gently caress over van der garde.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It is a lovely thing to do to let a driver think they have a seat for next year without giving them time to find a new one? Every team that's done it has caught poo poo for it, Eddie Jordan is still hated in the paddock for pulling that poo poo all the time. Like all failed F1 drivers had they given him his money back right away, and it was a decent amount by all accounts, he could have gone to sports car or formula E in 2015, but to make him fight for his own money in the courts and deny him a chance at a 2016 drive as well has just out wankered even Eddie.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

and yet i just don't give a gently caress about giedo loving van der garde

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Employers shouldn't gently caress over employees imo.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Alain Post posted:

- known communist sympathizer, Alain Post

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

yeah well when said employee is terrible at his job and only has it because $$$ i don't shed a lot of tears

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A deal is a deal.

I can not believe that you can't figure out how people can not care about VdG in particular, but would still care about this kind of thing in the abstract sense. You aren't that dumb.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgg5WWfMWzM

would love to see a foot cam like that in a F1 car

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

I was happy when Walkinshaw hosed over Verstappen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

what i can't figure out is why people would openly hope for the disintegration of one of the longest-tenured and most stable teams in the sport because they wronged a laughably garbage driver who will be completely forgotten in 10 years. if you care about breaking contracts "in an abstract sense" then watch a different sport. people were less pissed when mclaren straight up jacked ferrari's design schematics. ffs dude you're not this obtuse.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

El Hefe posted:

If we made F1 drivers shift their own gears we would have men driving again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I was happy when Walkinshaw hosed over Verstappen.

In this case Jos got what was coming to him by attempting to work with Walkinshaw.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It was two drivers at the same time, it's Sutil who hasn't got his money back and is now suing them up the yang because they have kept the money he needs to get another drive. If Bianchi hadn't got himself tractored then it would be three drivers who had paid for a seat with someone else in it. I don't think anyone thinks it's Peter Sauber at fault, Monisha did the deals but as she owns 44% of the team there is nothing they can do and you can't really argue that this isn't anything other then an embarrassing clusterfuck.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xenoid posted:

If we made F1 drivers shift their own gears we would have men driving again.

Lella Lombardi shifted her own gears and she wasn't a man.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

what i can't figure out is why people would openly hope for the disintegration of one of the longest-tenured and most stable teams in the sport because they wronged a laughably garbage driver who will be completely forgotten in 10 years. if you care about breaking contracts "in an abstract sense" then watch a different sport. people were less pissed when mclaren straight up jacked ferrari's design schematics. ffs dude you're not this obtuse.

Saying that Sauber should honor their contracts is not hoping that they will go out of business. Even saying that they deserve to go out of business is not the same as hoping they will go out of business.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I kind of hope we find out that red bull has in fact contained bulls piss all along and they go out of business though.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Quite frankly I am surprised people are still willing to work with Sauber the way Kaltenborn runs the team. She's completely ruined any good will and credibility.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

Quite frankly I am surprised people are still willing to work with Sauber the way Kaltenborn runs the team. She's completely ruined any good will and credibility.

it suggests that your second sentence is not true

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

and again you're generalizing "the way she runs the team" based on one situation which is barely relevant to how she actually Runs The Team on a daily basis

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
loving over drivers, ignoring court orders and dodging suppliers is sure a sign of integrity and qualification!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

El Hefe posted:

Great video, thanks. drat I'll have to fire up Dirt Rally again.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Here have a pro's rally footwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyVHj3sHVHQ

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I'm pretty sure everyone who attended a motorsport event before 1990 had a deathwish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Stories like this are why Ferrari are the best team

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/20/11059532/ferrari-enzo-stefan-eriksson-gizmondo-auction

imagine Red Bull restoring one of their "classic" cans

• Locked thread