Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

list reasons why sandi keeps wearing those terrible glasses (I refuse to believe weed because eye drops exist)

My sources tell me that it's for religious reasons. She worships her spirit animal on Fridays, and I know three people who know this to be the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

"What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?"

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Tippis posted:

Fun fact: X³:TC has 229 “systems” (really map pieces) containing 1,691 stations, 100 docks, 42 shipyards, and 3096 asteroids/mining spots.
EVE Online has 100 regions splitting up 8035 star systems, containing 5185 fixed stations, untold player-owned stations + outposts + customs offices, and 471,577 celestials (stars, planets, moons, etc).

Great. So basically, once one space flight game is done, they're going to go back and re-do all the flight characteristics and “flight models” for the same ships in a different game. And they haven't really started on the first yet… Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup:

…but… I already have. :ohdear:

Did you? I must have missed it. I skip thousands of posts during the week when I'm at the hospital.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I know. It's completely and utterly unrelated. It's a Red Herring.

Hey, this is easy. Ask Ben. He knows.

i bet he wont answer

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

No you see this space ship entertainment device obviously didn't make a reference to an iconic part of some other space ship entertainment device

And this matters because

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

you guys ever feel like you are reading the same posts over and over again?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13626-Letter-From-The-Chairman-40-Million

quote:

Per tradition, we are announcing the $42 million stretch goal today. 42 is a celebrated number for Star Citizen. Before the crowd funding campaign launched, I teased the game to my oldest fans with the RSI website. To enter you had to guess the password. The hint was “Life, the Universe and Everything”. We expected most Sci-Fans to get the reference to Douglas Adams “Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy”. We planned to launch the teaser site 42 days out from the announcement however the realities of web development intervened but we did manage to work in a lasting reference to the project’s humble beginnings by using 42 in the name of the legendary fighter squadron you aspire to join in the single-player adventure, Squadron 42!

We've been played since the beginning :negative:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Berious posted:

A citizen dares to mention the diarrhea spewing elephant in the room.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/46rd59/combat_in_the_babypu_feels_horrible/

It doesn't go well for him. Shitizens are quick to scold him and state CIG will fix it. Along with every other aspect of the game they have been making for 3 years already.

The cheapest ship is one of the best. The whales just can't get a break. :negative:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Happy Sisyphus posted:

You're reading quotes.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Even when I was "developing" a game in UE4, actual models and assets and art poo poo were like the very very last thing on my mind. I was concerned with getting movement feeling right for the gameplay I envisioned, getting all the systems in place for weapons and stuff, standardizing how maps should be greyboxed for player crouch/jump heights and lines of sight (it was a team-based survival horror shooter in the same vein as The Hidden: Source). I can only imagine how much it would loving suck to work at CIG where art comes first and it's basically just taking a big bucket of pretty looking models and saying "make a game with this stuff". In a just world, Star Citizen would be fully-functioning right now with a bunch of untextured sphere planets and cube spaceships and an ugly as gently caress yet serviceable UI but it all actually worked the way it was supposed to.

You can tell CR isn't really a "game developer" in the traditional sense, he's totally a Hollywood type. He doesn't have any idea how he wants the game to play, just what would sound cool and look cool. The man didn't even know what the chat box looked like in his own AAA production. Like, is this game going to have an inventory system or what???? HELLO? It's been like four loving years and there's not even a loving inventory system in place??? Basic features???

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Haven't you ever heard of a false flag operation? That's obviously faked to cover up the true meaning of the number, which is that one of the founders kind of likes it. But this information could destroy the very basis of civilization as we know it!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Boom. Headshot.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're reading quotes.

:agreed:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Variable 5 posted:

Haven't you ever heard of a false flag operation?

Sandi is a crysis actor.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 21, 2016

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Variable 5 posted:

Haven't you ever heard of a false flag operation? That's obviously faked to cover up the true meaning of the number, which is that one of the founders kind of likes it. But this information could destroy the very basis of civilization as we know it!!!

Clearly I know nothing about videogame counter intelligence.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The most tormenting thing about the whole Star Citizen project is that in the course of development nobody bothered to make a way for players to pick up useful items or, like, make space things like stars and planets using any sort of system, in the several years its been active.

Are they going to make all 100 systems be completely hand-textured or have they made a tool to do it rapidly? Will players be able to keep their real-life-money $5 alcoholic drinks (or maybe something more pertinent, like spaceship parts or whatever) in their bag to save for later? Will ships have an inventory system too? who the gently caress knows! Check out this 100,000 poly pilot chair in this loving farce of a game!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kordansk posted:

Did you? I must have missed it. I skip thousands of posts during the week when I'm at the hospital.

:argh:

Some others have suggested slightly different start time — I went with the ones mentioned on wikipedia or articles linked from it that discuss the development of the games. Quite a few of them have actually gone through the process that Citizens use as an excuse to arbitrarily shorten SC's development time (e.g. CCP was founded in 1997 for the purpose of creating an MMO, but for over a year they made a boardgame to get some seed money, then hunted financiers and publishers druing '98–'99, only getting solid financial backing in early '00… but I still list 1997).

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I know. It's completely and utterly unrelated. It's a Red Herring.

Hey, this is easy. Ask Ben. He knows.

Now the countdown begins until they start literally selling these for the loving fishtank.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Tippis posted:

:argh:

Some others have suggested slightly different start time — I went with the ones mentioned on wikipedia or articles linked from it that discuss the development of the games. Quite a few of them have actually gone through the process that Citizens use as an excuse to arbitrarily shorten SC's development time (e.g. CCP was founded in 1997 for the purpose of creating an MMO, but for over a year they made a boardgame to get some seed money, then hunted financiers and publishers druing '98–'99, only getting solid financial backing in early '00… but I still list 1997).

No, I was referring to poo poo like Shenmue saying 1996-2004 only being 6 years, and there was another egregious error in it as well.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Shenmue 1994-2006 = 6 years?!?!
Morrowind 1996-2004 = 6 years?!?!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

KM Scorchio posted:

You're reading quotes.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Shitizens can't deal with accurate graphs, it'll ruin the narrative.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

fuctifino posted:

You're reading quotes.

:agreed:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kordansk posted:

No, I was referring to poo poo like Shenmue saying 1996-2004 only being 6 years, and there was another egregious error in it as well.

Well… yeah? I put the right years in so the numbers are actually accurate. What's the point of having the “right” bar length if the numbers that length is based on are wrong?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Justin Tyme posted:

Are they going to make all 100 systems be completely hand-textured or have they made a tool to do it rapidly?

Good question! And I've heard both answers from multiple sources in CIG. Maybe it's hand-textured AND procedurally generated!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Happy Sisyphus posted:

We cant laugh faster than CIG is making the game. By my account we have made "full circle" at least twice already. Unless CIG release something meaningful we can only look a the growing anger of the brown sea and play E:D or Darkest Dungeons

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

And what the gently caress happened to the thread title while I was gone? This one doesn't even make sense. There have been lots of good replacement ideas in the last few pages - pick one at random, or just do a random search on Google and select practically anything you see and it will be better. We should be mocking Star Citizen, not appropriating their quality control measures.

E: Random example: Games > Star Citizen - The Butterfly Nebula NGC 6302

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 21, 2016

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
We need something funny to happen

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319160/i-hate-mmo-players

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Kakarot posted:

The entire thing is :thejoke: What else do you need?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ooh I'm hoppin mad it's not crashing fast enough

*drives truck bomb into CIG because I am a child*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I too am a monkey

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Kakarot posted:

Indeed. I'm afraid this is only going to get worse as the bait and switch that is Squadron 42 uses up all the remaining funds to get pushed out the door. I suspect, as I'm sure others do, that the reason nobody has seen SQ42 footage is a) there is nothing to show yet, b) what there is looks like complete poo poo.

This game is going to be the "meh" heard round the world.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Justin Tyme posted:

Even when I was "developing" a game in UE4, actual models and assets and art poo poo were like the very very last thing on my mind. I was concerned with getting movement feeling right for the gameplay I envisioned, getting all the systems in place for weapons and stuff, standardizing how maps should be greyboxed for player crouch/jump heights and lines of sight (it was a team-based survival horror shooter in the same vein as The Hidden: Source). I can only imagine how much it would loving suck to work at CIG where art comes first and it's basically just taking a big bucket of pretty looking models and saying "make a game with this stuff". In a just world, Star Citizen would be fully-functioning right now with a bunch of untextured sphere planets and cube spaceships and an ugly as gently caress yet serviceable UI but it all actually worked the way it was supposed to.

You can tell CR isn't really a "game developer" in the traditional sense, he's totally a Hollywood type. He doesn't have any idea how he wants the game to play, just what would sound cool and look cool. The man didn't even know what the chat box looked like in his own AAA production. Like, is this game going to have an inventory system or what???? HELLO? It's been like four loving years and there's not even a loving inventory system in place??? Basic features???

In my humble experience, there's an interplay between asset creation and the controller logic. This is especially true once animations come into play. Your code has to manage when animations play, what triggers them, how game state effects transitions, etc. The first game I ever made I just used blobs for player characters, etc. My main guy was named "bass head" because I was drunk coding, and randomly downloaded a bass guitar from the asset store and used that as the head object. But once I got a rigged/animated character animation, I had to re-write the player controller because it needed specific "game state" at different animation trigger points (running -> jumping, stopped -> strafing, running -> strafing, etc).

Designing assets before the code is ok... as long as you don't do stupid poo poo like making the art asset actually dictate center of mass, or making thruster placement actually determine where forces are applied to your physics object... Oh wait.

LOL CIG is so hosed.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Douglas Adams would be able to write some really biting satire about the doings of CIG, bless his soul. He left us too soon, while SC will be around for far too long.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

so they didn't even manage to make their deadline for getting their website up?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

BigglesSWE posted:

Douglas Adams would be able to write some really biting satire about the doings of CIG, bless his soul. He left us too soon, while SC will be around for far too long.

In a way he already did comment on Star Citizen. The Golgafrinchans are basically running CIG right now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm keeping it high brow tonight with an idea on how to make the immersion better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wwIv18RN80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

In a way he already did comment on Star Citizen. The Golgafrinchans are basically running CIG right now.

Does this man really look like he has a hygienic telephone?

Also lol at the 'don't panic', and Around the 'Verse's tagline being the chatshow at the end of the universe. 42 is definitely just Sandi's lucky number though.

• Locked thread