Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I like that even if you give Arthur a Goddess Icon he still has 0 crit evade.

Also Benny has a 20% higher defense and 15% higher res growths in exchange for a 10% lower strength and 40% lower speed. If you are using Effie she will be way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

So is there any reasonable way I'm going to get the amiibo stuff without tracking down someone who actually has them?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

WrightOfWay posted:

Also Benny has a 20% higher defense and 15% higher res growths in exchange for a 10% lower strength and 40% lower speed.

congrats, effie, on winning my heart before your competition even showed up

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Nohr Chapter 11: So is there anything worthy in the treasure chest near Kaze? I have troubles with his ninja squad and I don't know if I should skip it. :(

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

alcharagia posted:

congrats, effie, on winning my heart before your competition even showed up

Make her a Dread Fighter. You haven't seen good until you see that.

Getting daggers on a unit with huge strength is like the good old days of bullshit with hand axes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Make her a Dread Fighter. You haven't seen good until you see that.

Getting daggers on a unit with huge strength is like the good old days of bullshit with hand axes.

what if i'm not a cheater tho

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

There sure isn't anything like the last unit alive in a rout map hitting someone for perfect lethal with a 29% chance. I love Fire Emblem :shepicide:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
No, seriously, think about it. There is NO reason this thing should even exist. If you think there is, then ask yourselves one thing: how are you supposed to lose AT ALL? Oh wait, that can happen, if your Lord is defeated--assuming that auto-triggers the Game Over flag--or you fail a map objective. This doesn't change that you can turn everybody else into kamikazes because you can just revive them repeatedly, that's assuming that it's a God damned manual process. And with it being a mode meant to be easier than Casual mode, there's no reason it will be hard-restricted like any revival method in prior Fire Emblems was.

If "Intelligent" Systems needed a joke difficulty that badly, there's no reason not to have an Easy difficulty where enemies are so weak that they'd deal only 2-3 damage per hit to your GLASS CANNON UNITS even if you don't grind. Seriously, is a concept like that HARD TO GRASP. And, of course, people are fearing that players will mask their using Phoenix Mode to brag about beating Lunatic(+?), or that Phoenix Mode will be required to deal with it in the first place. Both deserve the developers getting blame.

Seriously, I have my own ideas for difficulty in my own game. Namely, reducing ranking scores on lower difficulties and making that important, while simultaneously providing options on all but the highest difficulty to customize better or whatnot for a difficulty increase (that won't up the scoring). It's actually inspired by Kid Icarus Uprising's Fiend's Cauldron, though not nearly as freaking backwards. (For those confused, Smash 4 used the same concept for its own difficulty in "Classic" Mode, though it's thankfully nerfed.) They're not as overcomplicated as Phoenix Mode, which by its very nature deserves to have Easy Mode Mockery big time anyway, but apparently, "Intelligent" Systems wants to avoid that. Because apparently, balancing around the hardest difficulty makes too much sense.

And making this damned thing in the first place could require effort in the first place if you could believe it's a good idea. It's not at all as simple as checking the game to see if the Casual Mode flag is on and then resetting any and all available character death flags at the start of each map. Reviving units mid-battle, whatever form it takes, is going to be more complicated than that because it is inevitably going to involve the MAPS THEMSELVES. All the involved problems have to be checked. So there's a big part of my beef with this concept: "Intelligent" Systems is throwing their effort at the wrong freaking locations.

Oh, and also, since people will just say "it's optional, shut up about it", want to know what else is optional? SKILL INCENTIVE THINGS LIKE THE CAPTURE FEATURE FROM THRACIA 776! They shouldn't be ousted. Doing that means the game doesn't want to provide replay value for veterans who want legitimate Self Imposed Challenges. Phoenix Mode, seriously, what is its point?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/141838-fire-emblem-fates-birthright/71844396

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
capturing is not optional in thracia 776, is my issue with that block of text

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

no idea why I even got that far, but I stopped when he started talking in TVTropes

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ha I got special dialogue for giving Lucina's mask accessory to Odin. I might make him my Lodestar idk

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the devs claim resetting upon death is how they meant for the games to be played but I'm glad they decided to implement that through perma-death rather than just a game over for any unit loss, so you can decide what losing someone means to you as a player

options are good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
haha "intelligent" systems sick burn tho

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Both of my early mages in Birthright turned out kind of dreadful: Hayato somehow has seen only a single point of HP in 11 levels, and the less said about Orochi the better. What reclass/children options do I have? I'm seriously pondering using an early Master Seal on Sakura; right now my only source of magic damage is Corrin's dragonstone.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
if it was game over for any unit loss, ghosting through a map with no deaths would not feel nearly as good

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Motto posted:

no idea why I even got that far, but I stopped when he started talking in TVTropes

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
How the heck am I supposed to tell if an enemy is female for Charlotte's skill. Dammit woman, I want to use you, but I don't know how! :argh:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Is there something I'm missing about unlocking paralogues? I married Kaze and Rinkah and nothing happened at all, but like 4 Chapters later Azama and Orochi immediately unlocked Mitama's Paralogue. I just finished Chapter 12 if that's relevant at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

the devs claim resetting upon death is how they meant for the games to be played but I'm glad they decided to implement that through perma-death rather than just a game over for any unit loss, so you can decide what losing someone means to you as a player

options are good

They didn't say it was how it was meant to be played, just that they do it too. The game is designed around the idea you'll lose units (and at least one game specifically has content you can only see by losing units.) It's just that they play their game too and resetting upon unit death is instinctual for that kinda thing.

That said I'm trying really hard to just not do it in FE:F but I'll see how I feel if I lose a unit.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

Both of my early mages in Birthright turned out kind of dreadful: Hayato somehow has seen only a single point of HP in 11 levels, and the less said about Orochi the better. What reclass/children options do I have? I'm seriously pondering using an early Master Seal on Sakura; right now my only source of magic damage is Corrin's dragonstone.

Magic seems woefully underpowered early in Birthright. I mean I'm sure there are a couple bammer Hayatos/Orochis out there but I'm lucky if I can break double digits against most characters with Spirit spells. Meanwhile, Takumi is hitting people with 10+ defense for more than their entire health pools.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't say it was how it was meant to be played, just that they do it too. The game is designed around the idea you'll lose units (and at least one game specifically has content you can only see by losing units.) It's just that they play their game too and resetting upon unit death is instinctual for that kinda thing.

That said I'm trying really hard to just not do it in FE:F but I'll see how I feel if I lose a unit.

every time someone references that interview, they put a spin on it, i'm just perpetuating the misinformation

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Super No Vacancy posted:

ha I got special dialogue for giving Lucina's mask accessory to Odin. I might make him my Lodestar idk

What was the dialogue? I don't have the amiibo

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Philip Rivers posted:

Magic seems woefully underpowered early in Birthright. I mean I'm sure there are a couple bammer Hayatos/Orochis out there but I'm lucky if I can break double digits against most characters with Spirit spells. Meanwhile, Takumi is hitting people with 10+ defense for more than their entire health pools.

Comparing people to Takumi is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Supremezero posted:

are... are archers good in this game...?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Ethiser posted:

The way kids work in this game is insane. The explanation is so weak and isn't even possible story wise unless I'm severely misinterpreting the time between battles.

The explanation is that the kids live in a separate pocket dimension where time moves faster. Their parents come visit them every "day," but a day on the outside is like a year on the inside or something.

The time shenanigans in Fates make the situation in Awakening look downright sane, but it's a flimsy excuse for fantasy matchmaking so who cares.

E:

alcharagia posted:

YES.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hayato seems like total garbage for real

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

visit my castle I will visit u back 07043-06396-26220-07167

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Fair enough but Azama rips poo poo too even without a broken rear end bow. Like all my melee characters seem swole as hell and I'm dragging Orochi along as my token mage but not really feeling it anymore.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

The explanation is that the kids live in a separate pocket dimension where time moves faster. Their parents come visit them every "day," but a day on the outside is like a year on the inside or something.

The time shenanigans in Fates make the situation in Awakening look downright sane, but it's a flimsy excuse for fantasy matchmaking so who cares.

greil is quite possibly the only good parent in fire emblem, rip

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Archers are loving amazing so far. They might drop off but they wreck face.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

What was the dialogue? I don't have the amiibo

Something like "Hey this belonged to a friend of mine. I always wanted to try it on."

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
fire emblem taking the right notes from tactics ogre this time

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ImpAtom posted:

Archers are loving amazing so far. They might drop off but they wreck face.

oh. huh.

is this specifically archers archers or do bow-based classes like, uh, whatever niles is count too

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Also, when do I get another Second Seal or whatever it is that reclasses people? I want to make Mozu a Mercenary already but the Rod Shop only carried one (which went to Azama obviously).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Philip Rivers posted:

Fair enough but Azama rips poo poo too even without a broken rear end bow. Like all my melee characters seem swole as hell and I'm dragging Orochi along as my token mage but not really feeling it anymore.

Azama is arguably the strongest character that's not Ryoma in Birthright.

Mages are not remotely needed in Birthright because you have 3 Ninjas+Lancers that reduce defense, plus anti-armor shurikens come mid-game. I assume Magic is far more useful in Conquest when the only natural Ninja is Kaze.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Looper posted:

fire emblem taking the right notes from tactics ogre this time

I never realized how much I wanted an Ogre/FE mashup until I read this sentence. I love both series so much, it's hard to say exactly how much of one I'd want in the other.

E:

alcharagia posted:

oh. huh.

is this specifically archers archers or do bow-based classes like, uh, whatever niles is count too
Bows in general are better, but that change sure does help anyone who focuses on them exclusively.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

alcharagia posted:

oh. huh.

niles is really good too, but he's basically a thief

who steals people

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Looper posted:

niles is really good too, but he's basically a thief

who steals people

yes... good

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
i love this game

Does this look like the face of mercy to you, Xander?

I mean, I gave her a seraph robe, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

alcharagia posted:

game: "this guy has bad luck"

me: "oh ok"

game: "so i'm going to kill him with 1% crits twice in a row"

me: "haha what a story fire emblem"

>misses an 80% hit

me: I did not hit him, it's not true! It is bullshit! I did not!..Oh hai, Marth