Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

High five, CelticPredator!

The Evolution score has been a favorite of mine since it was released, I think it was maybe the first thing I ever ordered from Amazon. I've never heard of anyone else who regarded it as memorable, let alone fantastic (which it totally is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In high school, I'd have that part in the mall chase as my theme song walking down the halls. I'm weird. But whatever. Score owns.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Harold Ramis once described himself as a "conservative-slash-libertarian" and confirmed those themes in the movie. There's an anti-academia message as well: "I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities. We didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college. You don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector. They expect results."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Toady posted:

Harold Ramis once described himself as a "conservative-slash-libertarian" and confirmed those themes in the movie. There's an anti-academia message as well: "I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities. We didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college. You don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector. They expect results."

Ghostbusters is pretty much the exact film satirized in Michael Bay's Transformers.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Toady posted:

As someone who has worked in academia for the last decade, that statement is totally true. I would confirm that, but I need to form a committee to delegate the task of creating 3 smaller fact-finding committees, and it's mid-semester so now everyone is taking their pre-summer break vacation, so the meeting will have to be postponed.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Boomerjinks posted:

High five, CelticPredator!

The Evolution score has been a favorite of mine since it was released, I think it was maybe the first thing I ever ordered from Amazon. I've never heard of anyone else who regarded it as memorable, let alone fantastic (which it totally is).

I was given a free bottle of shampoo with my ticket, a brand of shampoo I use and trust to this very day.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Can it really be anti-academia when the dean was totally justified in removing Venkman?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Can it really be anti-academia when the dean was totally justified in removing Venkman?

The kids loved them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The kids loved them.

Not that one guy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Not that one guy.

Well, he's the worst kind of popular tripe.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Not that one guy.

Only seventy-five more to go.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
You can keep the five bucks!

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
That's gotta be some cockroach.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am ghostbusters and I come to bust your ghost. Take charge and live another day, ghosts!

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Scroto Baggins posted:

As someone who has worked in academia for the last decade, that statement is totally true. I would confirm that, but I need to form a committee to delegate the task of creating 3 smaller fact-finding committees, and it's mid-semester so now everyone is taking their pre-summer break vacation, so the meeting will have to be postponed.

You seem to regard science as some kind of dodge, or hustle.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm working the old nematode switcheroo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kevyn posted:

You can keep the five bucks!

I love that that joke gets funnier the further away from 1984 we get.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I love that that joke gets funnier the further away from 1984 we get.

Conversely the price of the ambulance gets less funny.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Transversely, Winston's line about the pay went from funny to nostalgic to just sad.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Toady posted:

Harold Ramis once described himself as a "conservative-slash-libertarian" and confirmed those themes in the movie.

:goonsay: That was Ivan Reitman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jamesman posted:

Evolution was good. :(

I realised I hadn't seen Evolution since it came out so I went and watched it again. It's a really good film and Duchovny and Jones are solid but I couldn't help but feel that young Bill Murray and Aykroyd or Ramis would have really elevated those roles.
I'd also completely forgotten that Aykroyd and Ethan Suplee had small roles in the film and Sarah Silverman appears as "woman who nearly takes her shirt off".

The film also has more Ghostbusters parallels than I'd remembered - the human antagonist is the army major who should have been on top of containing the problem but he doesn't listen to the heroes and when he tries to shut it down he instead creates a much bigger problem, in pretty much the same way that Peck doesn't listen to the Ghostbusters and shuts down the containment field.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The only bad thing about Evolution is Sean Williams Scott

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zVxTeflon posted:

The only bad thing about Evolution is Sean Williams Scott

The fact that the film starts with an extended scene of SWS being 'wacky' is a major drawback but this was just after American Pie and Road Trip and Dude, Where's My Car? so I guess he was supposed to be the big drawcard for the younger folks.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Getting off-topic here, but I'd much rather have a The Rundown 2 than a Ghostbusters 3.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Boomerjinks posted:

Getting off-topic here, but I'd much rather have a The Rundown 2 than a Ghostbusters 3.

I saw The Rundown like 4 times in theaters, due to taking multiple dates to the movies in college. I didn't regret it. But why can't we have The Rundown 2 & Ghostbusters 3?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't think I remember one thing about The Rundown. It's the kind of movie that I totally forgot I saw until it's brought up to me.

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't think I remember one thing about The Rundown. It's the kind of movie that I totally forgot I saw until it's brought up to me.

Not even Christopher Walken ranting about the tooth fairy?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Which seems more likely based on that teaser?

a) "Haha, we're making a trailer for Ghostbusters look all intense and serious! This is a pretty clever joke."

b) "We are absolutely this tone deaf about how not only to market this movie, but probably how we made the entire thing too."

Really leaning towards b) here, since there's a precedent for that with countless other movie disasters. Which sucks, because I hadn't been following this movie very closely and was hoping it would be good.

I'm leaning towards option A, because having a trailer start out all serious and have people call their last resort in desperation and fear gives a good contrast to when the Ghostbusters theme kicks in and they are up to wacky antics.

Looking forward to giving this film a chance, but not optimistic simply because the cast is what made the original. The best thing about the original Ghostbusters is that you can actually see where their critics are coming from. You could make most of the film the same (at least up until the finale) with it being the story of Peter Venkman losing his academic position and resorting to enabling and conning his smart but gullible friends out of their savings by persuading them that they are fighting ghosts.

And that movie would still be amazing.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 23, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Right, Egon and Ray probably would have got into MIT or Stanford no problem if they ditched Venkman.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The Rundown is just like The Rock in that Ill always watch it whenever its on, no matter where in the movie it is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was wondering what the gently caress you guys were talking about, turns out The Rundown was called Welcome to the Jungle in Australia for some unknown reason.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

McSpanky posted:

Transversely, Winston's line about the pay went from funny to nostalgic to just sad.

Even twenty years ago, it horrified me. I still kinda think I must have misheard it, there's no way a full time, high profile job like that could possibly pay so little, could it?

:negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I had a dream last night that I was watching the new trailer... and it was just a handheld video of 4-5 people on stage, wearing various, poorly-made masks made to look like the original Ghostbusters.

Yeah, I don't know either.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Cage posted:

The Rundown is just like The Rock in that Ill always watch it whenever its on, no matter where in the movie it is.

This was confusing as hell to me until I realized you were talking about the Connery/Cage film, not y'know..the Rock, who stars in The Rundown.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You know what I would watch a dwayne johnson movie too if it was on, why not?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Even twenty years ago, it horrified me. I still kinda think I must have misheard it, there's no way a full time, high profile job like that could possibly pay so little, could it?

:negative:

What does he say? "This is definitely worth another 75 a year"? Something like that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

What does he say? "This is definitely worth another 75 a year"? Something like that?

I thought it was 'eleven-five'?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Winston Zeddemore posted:

This job is definitely not worth eleven-five a year!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, that's $27,392.59 in 2016 money. Not bad but not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Well, that's $27,392.59 in 2016 money. Not bad but not great.

For dealing with nuclear accelerators and world saving, I'd say it's paltry.

• Locked thread