Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It was the first time he ever worked that much on a TV show based on the article. I mean he was a writer, and the producer. The show was his, and he had to keep track of all the mysteries he had put down. And yeah he also voiced several of the main characters. He probably just way overworked himself.

It also kind of feels like, if Disney had allowed him, he would've preferred to do 10 episodes seasons instead of 20. I think that might have been a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It sounds like the people saying "why did he get burned out" have never done any serious creative work, especially one that's so personal. If you're a contractor or staff or something just drawing the characters, doing the voices, doing the FX work and the editing, 'ey, it's a 9-5, but if you're a creator and a producer and a writer, everything just needs to be perfect.

And when you're straight out of school, it's your first job, and you have no idea what you're doing or how to run anything. So you're executing, you're trying to perfect, and you're also learning how to manage a team of people and a overseas art studio.

So thank you, Mr. Alex man. Your show was really cool and fun and I loved every second of it. I'm a little sad it's over, but I'm more happy it all tightly wrapped up, without any huge mysteries left.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

This also answers the "why were there 'filler episodes' all the way through?" Question.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Brad Breeck has uploaded the soundtrack for every episode of Gravity Falls, free to download.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm sure if Hirsch took his time like Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick do with The Venture Bros., he'd probably have had less burn out since they do much of the same thing at a similar level of detail.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah, but an adult audience of nerds is going to stick around over the course of a decade and adult swim loves the show. It's probably harder to get that deal at Disney.

Alex Hirsch should do an adult swim show.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgvXkfdH63w

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Gravity Falls Has Ended! Creator Alex Hirsch Answers Lingering Questions
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/73765/gravity-falls-series-finale-alex-hirsch-interview/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=tvi

They didn't even know what the zodiac did up until the end. Hirsch casually figured he might kill someone then decided not to. Stan didn't lose his memory because it would've made Dipper and Mabel sad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrSlam posted:

Gravity Falls Has Ended! Creator Alex Hirsch Answers Lingering Questions
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/73765/gravity-falls-series-finale-alex-hirsch-interview/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=tvi

They didn't even know what the zodiac did up until the end. Hirsch casually figured he might kill someone then decided not to. Stan didn't lose his memory because it would've made Dipper and Mabel sad.

quote:

The kids who were desperately praying to see some main character die, I would say [to them], "Go outside. It's a beautiful day."
On days like these, children like you...

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I think desperately praying is a bit of a stretch. He was the one who said someone was going to die, what did he expect?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MrSlam posted:

I think desperately praying is a bit of a stretch. He was the one who said someone was going to die, what did he expect?

It's a bit of an exaggeration, at least from the comments here, but as one of the people who brought up the fact that someone was supposedly going to die, I found Alex Hirsch's comment hilarious.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well Bill certainly died

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

MrSlam posted:

Bill died. Doesn't that technically count?

^^^ poo poo.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Plus Time Baby, like a dozen timecops, and at least one of the discount road warriors got eaten by Louis C.K.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Didn't the mayor die as well?

Edit: RIP Time Baby. Taken so young.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Xand_Man posted:

Didn't the mayor die as well?

Never mind all that.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Here's an interesting look into ending Gravity Falls. TLDR: Alex Hirsch wanted to tell everyone that the show was ending from the very beginning of season 2, but Disney wouldn't let him:

http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2016/02/15/inside-the-decision-to-end-gravity-falls/

The first season also super burned him out and he almost ended it there

Interesting. I was right in that the show was originally intended to be way longer but dead wrong about why. Still kind of miffed that we missed out on a season but having done creative work before I completely sympathize.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, I'd have preferred if Ford were silent there. Stanley I can see being good at imitating his brother at a moment's notice, other way around, not so much.

Maybe I was projecting, but it seemed like they showed the twins speaking a bit out of sync or with their mouths obscured by scenery prior to that. If that was the case, I'm surprised they went with a cheap flawless impersonation at the end.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gromit posted:

Maybe I was projecting, but it seemed like they showed the twins speaking a bit out of sync or with their mouths obscured by scenery prior to that. If that was the case, I'm surprised they went with a cheap flawless impersonation at the end.

Their voices sound a little off. Not a lot, but a bit.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It sucks he go burnt out but I'm glad he was able to wrap up the show the way he wanted. But if he got burnt out like it kind of seems like a bad idea to sign up with Fox of all companies

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bill said he came from a two dimensional world.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bill came from the money dimension confirmed

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I still haven't been able to watch the whole episode. This was a fun little show and I hate to say goodbye, I like having one more episode waiting. At least Waddles didn't get left behind.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Macaluso posted:

It also kind of feels like, if Disney had allowed him, he would've preferred to do 10 episodes seasons instead of 20. I think that might have been a good idea.

This article says exactly that. After he convinced himself to do another season he wanted to do another 10 episodes but Disney would only do batches of 20. Probably has a lot to do with them hoping he would stick around to do more.

He also said he would've stretched out the whole Stan getting his memory back thing if they would've let him make a longer episode.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

But if he got burnt out like it kind of seems like a bad idea to sign up with Fox of all companies

:ohdear: It's Fox! It'll get cancelled long before he can get burnt out

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MrSlam posted:

:ohdear: It's Fox! It'll get cancelled long before he can get burnt out

It'll air out of order first so it makes no sense, then get cancelled.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

It'll air out of order first so it makes no sense, then get cancelled.

On the plus side it's DVD run and eventual revival on Adult Swim will be pretty great.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/02/disneys-gravity-falls-is-weird-americana-meets-lovecraft-for-kids/

Ars Technica article praising Gravity Falls. It's reasonably good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The cartoon triangle indeed makes this show art.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
A bit late on this, but "the symbols don't have to be literal!" was absolutely a fourth-wall jab at the fanbase, who have been speculating on the symbols since S1E01. Plus, one message of the finale was "screw destiny/prophecy/the usual villain-defeaters, we can do this through hard work and ingenuity", and though they didn't truly realize that goal until after the zodiac failed, getting the symbols together with whomever they had on hand still kind of sends that message.

Also, and vaguely related, a fun theory from reddit:

quote:

"What was Blendin doing during the finale?"

"How do you think the ancient people of Gravity Falls knew so much about Bill and the specific individuals needed to defeat him?"

":aaaaa:"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

pksage posted:

A bit late on this, but "the symbols don't have to be literal!" was absolutely a fourth-wall jab at the fanbase

Is it really a jab? Ford's explanation for Wendy is the same reasoning most people came up with for the ice bag being hers, beyond her main episode in season 1 having the whole scene with the ice. I mean, since day one Wendy's #1 characteristic is "cooler than everyone"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Jab might not be the best word, but yeah he was definitely poking fun at the fanbase with that comment. I thought he was saying that about was made towards McGucket as well, not just Wendy.

He's got a history of winking at the fanbase too. Soos made that joke about fanfictions, and there was the joke about Ducktective being a show for kids that had mysterious and was nuanced enough for adults to enjoy.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Finally watched the finale! Agree with feeling like Grunkle Stan's memory returning was a little fast, and especially with the zodiac symbols being "these have been hinted at for almost four years and we can't just ditch them now". Ultimately I think GF is always going to be a little consumed with "what could have been" in my mind (the show it could have been with 3 10-episode seasons and Alex knowing what he was getting into...) but it was still an awesome ride with a lot of great episodes and stuff to unpack.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Soup du Jour posted:

"what could have been"

It could have not taken four loving years to get through 40 episodes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Also, Soos got Melody a job.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Say Nothing posted:

Also, Soos got Melody a job.

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am so, so grateful to have a show that had a real ending.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Back in season 1, there was a cryptogram that said "The handyman knows more than you think," but it never seemed to go anywhere. Really Soos never seemed to know about any of the mysteries than the kids.

Was this ever addressed?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Octorok posted:

Back in season 1, there was a cryptogram that said "The handyman knows more than you think," but it never seemed to go anywhere. Really Soos never seemed to know about any of the mysteries than the kids.

Was this ever addressed?

I dunno, McGucket seemed to be a handyman..or just, a handy man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Octorok posted:

Was this ever addressed?

Alex Hirsch intentionally did a lot of red herrings, both in-show and out-of-show.

• Locked thread