Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Mine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
I'll try and see what's up with that then. Might be a forums hiccup, I don't think it's tindeck itself but man....tindeck's making me nervous lately

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is there a backup in case Tindeck isn't viable?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is there a backup in case Tindeck isn't viable?

Well, there's always linking to the Bandcamp directly, even though you can only listen to any one track once in an arbitrary period of time before Bandcamp starts bugging you to buy it. (Also one of the track names is kind of a spoiler, so be warned if you look at the album page.)

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I put up soundcloud links to music and sound effects for now. I'm actually thinking of going back later and adding alternate soundcloud links for audio for every update, since who knows how long tindeck will last and I don't know for certain if other updates are having the same problems with the image links.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Flac posted:

I put up soundcloud links to music and sound effects for now. I'm actually thinking of going back later and adding alternate soundcloud links for audio for every update, since who knows how long tindeck will last and I don't know for certain if other updates are having the same problems with the image links.

That would be appreciated in any case, because tindeck's player has always been excruciatingly loud. Even on the last tick of volume before mute it's way too loud. I'm reasonably certain it's tindeck's fault, because it's a problem on every file I've ever listened to on that service.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[MUSIC: Summer Scouts]

Playthrough 2 starts here, back at our friendly encounter with Group South. This time we'll see how Venus and Jupiter handle the situation together.

♀: Okay.

Stay. The Bonfire Captain said.
Stay.

♆: Why do you think we're going to be as stupid as you are and believe the stupid things you are saying?
♆: Why are you unable to follow basic instructions or hear things that people say?

Everyone who was hoping Neptune would roast Group South in the last choice guessed wrong because THIS is the one where it happens.

Group South turns around.

Hey Neptune.
Hey Neptune.
Hey Neptune.

♆: I am truly in awe that it's possible for you all to have done this every single day for a month.
♆: I was so sure one day you were going to slip up and one of you would be accidentally identifiable but consider me defeated.
♆: As expected of our top group this year though?

[Silence]

Neptune dies out by the time we reach the next siren.

it's a crime to walk away from the scene of a triple homicide

♀: Yeah...
♀: Maybe we should go check though?
♃: It's fine.

We get to the siren and we do the thing; Jupiter pushes up Venus and he climbs up to get the switch at the top.

♀: I'm sorry.
♃: It's okay.
♀: ...
♀: I'm really sorry.
♃: I know, I know.
♀: I really don't like them.

♀: Ha.
♀: They're very popular though.
♃: You think so?
♃: Man, I don't like them. Does anyone really like them?
♀: No, not really. Not even the captain likes them.
♀: They like you though, don‘t they?

♃: I don't know.
♃: Actually, I don't think they do.
♃: Sometimes they're a little bit funny.
♃: But I don't actually like their humor too much.
♃: This sounds weird, but I kind of hang out with them so they’ll leave me alone?

♀: No...it kind of doesn't?
♃: Haaaaahaha jeez. I kinda knew you'd say that.
♃: You know how sometimes kids bully each other because they don't know how to say they like someone?
♀: Yeah, a little.
♀: I always thought that maybe they also had to hate you a little to do that, though?
♃: Haha. See. You get it.
♀: Ha. Aha.
♀: But I wish they'd leave me alone.
Or I guess I meant more like, that sucks—
♀: —and I wish we didn‘t have to or—
♀: —I could talk to them and they wouldn't hate me?
♃: Well if it makes you feel any better...
♃: It's really not working out for me, either.
♀: Ahaha.
♀: It doesn't.

Flac fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 17, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yay we're back

rip group south; we never do actually see them again, do we :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tollymain posted:

yay we're back

rip group south; we never do actually see them again, do we :v:

Of course not; they were all just murdered, horrifically.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kind of makes you wonder - everyone's had a turn at this cabin, right? Has somebody from Group South already turned into a devil? Is this the aftermath?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[SFX: Crickets, wind, stray noises.]

[MUSIC: Greenhouse]

Let's fast forward straight to the 8 PM choice and see what happens when you pick Venus and Jupiter. We'll be skipping the introductions to each hour before the choice, since those always play out the same.

♆: Have fun.

[MUSIC: God Is Already Warning Us]

This shack is full of shelves and drawers, all neatly, maniacally squeezed along the four walls. It's much prettier and sturdier than the one we're staying in, but it's inhumanely small.

The house seems to have been built for modestly large dolls. We have to hunch over to get in and we can‘t move without bumping each other.

We have thought of two possibilities for how this happened.

The possibility which is weird is that someone, possibly the captain, decided to make a .6 scale house on purpose, for .6 humans, or dolls, or fun, and then turned it into storage.

The possibility which is scary is that someone, possibly the captain, completely finished a .6 scale shack before realizing his measurements were off in the first place.

♀: I think so?
♀: But it's kind of worrying for it to be like that.
♀: Maybe we should call the captain?
♃: We...could...do that...
♃: But let's try to get it working first.
♀: I'm a little worried...
♀: I'm sure it'll be okay if I talk to him?
♃: You'll be fine. I promise. I believe in you.
♀: ...
♀: ...really?
♃: Just search that drawer, Venus.

We root through drawers again. A little more intently.

♀: Are you scared of him?

♀: Oh! Yay.

♀: I almost have it! It's way easier than I thought.

[SFX: The lock buzzes to life once more.]

♃: Phew.
♀: See?
♃: Nice. I'm glad. I really didn't want to have to go back to the captain.
♀: Ha, yeah.
♃: ...

♃: But he does make me worry.
♀: Oh. Um, he doesn't hate you or anything, I don't think.
♀: I mean, he's nicer to you than a lot of people.
♃: ...why does everyone think that?
♃: He never got mad at me but...
♃: I don't liked being liked by him.
♃: It makes me think there must be something wrong with me?
♃: I don't want to be the sort of person that he likes. It makes me shiver.
♃: He likes people he can make a little uncomfortable and won't give any trouble about it.
♀: Like us, I guess.
♃: Exactly us. We're the only people he likes, after all.
♀: I don't think he's going to do anything terrible...
♃: No, he wouldn't but...
♃: I don't know. Maybe he already did?
♃: Like how you don't have to touch someone to touch someone? You know?

Flac fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 17, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Flac posted:

♃: Like how you don't have to touch someone to touch someone? You know?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, that line stands out a bit now.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Man the captain sounds a lot more sinister now. He likes what is seen as the deviants? Hmm.

Geez, Neptune, at the rate you were shredding Group South there's going to be nothing left for the vultures.

For the opposite land choices here, I'm guessing Venus is the devil next.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Keldulas posted:

Man the captain sounds a lot more sinister now.

I know, why would he want to build a dollhouse??? For his dolls that look EERILY like scouts that've gone missing and always look like they're staring right at you? That's my theory

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.
Oh god I'm thrilled--I was worried when I saw this thread that the LP would turn out to be complete already. As it turns out, this is the best possible time for me to show.

So, I finished this game like three days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. It's got me writing again because the creative energy and visceral emotion needs to go SOMEWHERE. I'm trying to get any and every soul I can to play it just so I can experience it vicariously through them--and also because it's loving great and I am a gift to all who know me.

I'm particularly glad to show up at this moment. Something about Jupiter speaks to me. I know people have mentioned her issues with self-harm and stuff already, and it is clear she has problems with everyone/herself idealizing her and with being this Cool, Pure person that she feels is a lie. Personally, as someone who experienced something similar, something about Jupiter also makes me wonder if she has issues with consent violation and just generally...unpleasant...breaches of trust. I'm trying to tread lightly here because this is uncomfortable ground on an entirely different order here, but if you get where I'm coming from I'd be interested to know if someone else got the same vibes I did.

In particular, her disgust with wanting to touch/be touched at the same time that she desperately desires affection of the romantic kind really, really hits home. It's like wishing someone that is Good could love you and wipe the dirt and grime away from your past, but also feeling that that grime and past make you unworthy of that kind of affection. Her description of the Captain also felt like a kind of hyper-awareness of how he sees the scouts that nobody else, not even Neptune, seems to possess. And it gave him completely unique shades of disturbing to me.

Sorry to burst into this thread with heavy stuff like that, but to be honest I think that's what this game wants more than anything else--for people to work through the stuff they'd prefer not to think about through it. You could say it worked on me.

On a separate note, if anyone's interested in setting up an IRC/Skype chatroom for discussion about this game, I'd be interested in that, too. It's been a really long time since a game moved me like this and it really deserves a community to grow out of it past, like, tumblr tags or w.e, I feel.

EDIT: I am remiss to let this post go by without even mentioning that Neptune is the queen of the Earth and I love watching her reduce Group South to a puddle under her boots.

Tazzypillar fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 21, 2016

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[SFX: Crickets, wind, stray noises]

[MUSIC: Hair Tie]

Jupiter and Neptune are up for truth or dare this time around. But mostly Jupiter. Venus had a turn at the shame game so it's only fair.

♃: Truth.

♃: I...
♃: You didn't hold back at all.
♆: There's no mercy in truth or dare, Jupiter.
♃: Ha, ha well, I don't really—
♆: I absolutely will know if you're lying.
♆: Don't dare.
♃: Okay.
♆: I will know.

Jupiter snaps her hair tie against her wrist.

♃: Well—
♃: Then you already kno—

♃: Oh.
♃: That's fine.
♆: It'd be so boring anyway.
♆: It's not like I can actually imagine you fawning over some dude.
♃: Ahaha. What's that supposed to mean?
♆: You just aren't the sort of person who'd chase after someone.
♆: Like you wouldn't let them think they were worth that kind of effort if they didn't deserve it or let them think they were better than you if they weren't.
♆: And who is, anyway? No one's that cool.

♃: Though, probably no one is ever going to want to date me.
♆: Do you want anyone to date you?
♃: ...is that your truth or dare question?
♆: drat it. You're too sharp.
♃: Neptune, you're the sort of person who'd wish for infinite wishes first thing just in case it worked, right?
♆: HEY. Whose turn is it, huh?
♃: Aw.
♃: ...but I wouldn't have had an interesting answer either.
♃: I would have just said I'd only want to date someone if someone wanted to date me.
♆: ...you're doing it again.
♃: What?
♆: You're—*cough*

♆: Venus, you should pay attention, this is how you get out of playing stupid games.
♀: Ah! Okay.
♃: So whose turn is it?
♆: OH NO YOU DON'T. I told you that wasn't the question! You just went and answered it on your own.
♃: Haha, fiiiine. You got me.
♆: No excuses.
♀: Um...I guess that's fair.
♆: Of course it's fair. If there's no answer it doesn't count.
♆: Okay, then, here it is. Ready?
♃: Totally.
♆: Truth—who does Venus have a crush on?

It's impossible for bad things to not happen to Venus, no matter what path you take. It's written in the stars.

♃: Hmmm. Wait, what if I get it wrong.
♆: Then you're in trouble.
♀: Still??? Not fair????
♃: Guess I need to get it right then!
♃: Hmmm.
♃: Oh it's totally...
♃: You.
♀: UMMMMMMMM???
♆: Not. Absolutely not. Illegal.
♃: Aw, why not? It's cute. He has good taste?
♆: Boo. No. Awful. Absolutely rejected.
♃: Ahaha.

Flac fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 17, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Jupiter and Neptune

Monk E
May 19, 2009
I'm interested in seeing how Jupiter and Neptune plays out.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Jup/Nep

I wonder what Venus and Neptune's devil powers will be. Summoning bright lights and causing everyone around her to cough?

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.
Venus/Jupiter

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Bad news guys, I tested it out myself earlier and if we go with Jupiter and Neptune here (and keep making the opposite choices from here on), Weird poo poo happens to the game engine and we'll miss some unique lines from God. In the interest of the LP showing off as much as possible, I must vote Venus and Jupiter.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

EDIT: Changed my vote, due to the bug other people are talking about in the thread.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 21, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

New vote below.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 21, 2016

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Bad news guys, I tested it out myself earlier and if we go with Jupiter and Neptune here (and keep making the opposite choices from here on), Weird poo poo happens to the game engine and we'll miss some unique lines from God. In the interest of the LP showing off as much as possible, I must vote Venus and Jupiter.

Yeah after I checked I've gone back and forth on what to do here. It IS weird how the ending works if Jupiter/Neptune wins here, and I'm still wondering if it's better to default to Venus/Jupiter, for the sake of keeping things coherent.

It's not the missing stuff that bothers me, I could just add that in if it comes to that, it's more that it's a little awkward to have a result that's counterintuitive to how the game usually works, which I'll have to explain later. If nobody cares about that and would rather see what could possibly happen, then I'll just go by votes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ven/Jup

Flac posted:

Yeah after I checked I've gone back and forth on what to do here. It IS weird how the ending works if Jupiter/Neptune wins here, and I'm still wondering if it's better to default to Venus/Jupiter, for the sake of keeping things coherent.

It's not the missing stuff that bothers me, I could just add that in if it comes to that, it's more that it's a little awkward to have a result that's counterintuitive to how the game usually works, which I'll have to explain later. If nobody cares about that and would rather see what could possibly happen, then I'll just go by votes

I'd prefer to keep it coherent. Mostly cause it lines up with my vote, but hey.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If it's super awkward I'd say pick the method that makes it not-awkward.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

flatluigi posted:

If it's super awkward I'd say pick the method that makes it not-awkward.
If it's what I think the issue is, then yeah, change my vote to whatever is the most narratively coherent.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

If it's what I think the issue is, then yeah, change my vote to whatever is the most narratively coherent.

I'll change my vote to this too, just to be safe.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Seems best to nix voting then and do Venus + Jupiter. Sorry to take back what had been posted here already, but things'll go smoother in the long term this way.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
No problem, I was just voting a random choice anyway like always

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Neptune pretty consistently gets all the best dialog.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[MUSIC: Victim of Circumstance]

There may be two choices left to pick at this hour, but I'm gonna wrestle control from the thread here and choose Venus and Jupiter for this run. We'll get to Jupiter and Neptune on the next one.

♀: Are you sure?
♆: Going out right now sounds like the loving worst, are you kidding?
♆: I'll mark the outside of the house with my radio.
♆: And no one who's not us will be able to get in.
♃: Okay, if you're sure.
♆: I know you'll miss me, but you'll be fine without me, I promise. The woods are gross. Bye.

[MUSIC: The Sirens]

♃: I'm sure she's fine.
♃: Are you really worried?
♀: A little. Why?
♃: Isn't she mean to you?
♀: A little.
♀: Isn't she mean to you?
♃: A little.
♀: My mom says that anyone who's mean has been hurt.
♀: Which is everyone, so I guess it's kind of a stupid thing to say.

♃: Haha, my mom would never say something like that.
♃: She'd say, "no one will respect you if you don't have any manners" or "choose your words for others carefully even if they don't do the same for you."
♀: That's good advice.
♀: Kind of.
♀: Right?
♃: She doesn't believe thinking things out is something you can teach. To her you get it or you don't.
♃: And until then you should just shut up and do the right thing instead of looking like an idiot.
♃: I'm too slow for her, like my dad.
♃: It must be nice to be smart and get things quickly.
♀: It must be such a good feeling.

♃: You get diodes pretty well?
♀: But Neptune knows what everyone means right away.
♀: I can't tell when anyone is lying so I just.
♀: Believe everything on purpose I guess?
♀: When I was fixing the radio in the dining hall, Group South told me a rusty nail would work just as well as galena, and I went along with it...
♀: Even though it definitely doesn't work as well, and cuts the range down too far. They wanted me to screw up, like, I know that?
♀: But if I pointed it out, they'd just get madder. And say whatever, and not stop until I said they were right, and believed it too, so I just believed them anyway.
♀: I got in so much trouble!
♀: I don't know why it felt so much easier. I could have explained it.
♀: But when I thought about how much trouble I'd get in...
♃: It's way easier.
♃: I do it all the time.
♀: Really?
♃: I don't know how to not.

♀: Maybe Neptune really knows best.

Flac fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 17, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
neptune knows best

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[MUSIC: Hair Tie]

Back to shots, this time with Jupiter and Neptune. Seems like Jupe can hold her horrible-poison-cocktail pretty good if the 12 AM scene after this is anything to go by, so let's get some proper context for that.

♃: Uhhhhhhh.

♃: I...guesssss.

♆: Look at me, I'm an after school special, you're hanging out with the wrong crowd. Who knows what will happen.
♃: Okay okay.
♆: Good.
♃: Cheers?

♆: It's not—ugh.
♃: It's just so...sweet.
♃: It'd be easier straight.
♆: Wait, this isn't your first time drinking?
♃: My dad sometimes gives me a little.
♃: And my mom too, on Sundays.
♃: They're really strict though. They want me to like, appreciate it and not do exactly what we're doing and drink horrible poo poo for the sake of getting drunk.
♆: Well it's too late now. You're corrupted forever and the only choice is to drink until you are drunk and hungover so you can learn an important lesson about life and peer pressure and whatever.
♃: Haha okay. I will drink to that.
♆: BOTTOMS UP BITCH.

♆: ErGGhhh. How do youuu stand ittttttttt.
♆: You're barely making a face it's infuriating ANOTHER PLEASE.

♆: Another.
♃: Are you...sure?

♆: gently caress YOU TAKE THIS SHOT.

WRITTEN IN THE STARS

♆: BLUGH I hate this.

♆: I can't believe you're not even TIPSY. Your father is incredible.
♆: Is he Vin Diesel.
♆: Is he Arnold Schwarzenegger.
♆: Is he Ernest Hemingway.
♆: Are you the love child of Vin Diesel and Ernest Hemingway.
♃: Well he doesn't care for women or long sentences, if that counts.
♆: HA that's loving funny!
♆: So you HAVE read a book.
♃: I mean, it's not 'cause he's mean or anything he just doesn't LIKE women.
♆: Oh. OH. Wait why would HE send you here?
♃: Sometimes we just do stuff so mom will chill.
♆: Haha your dad is COOL.
♃: Yeah haha. He really is.
♆: ANOTHER?
♃: OKAY.

♆: Your dad has never been more right about anything.
♃: The worse it tastes, the more evil it makes you. And every kind has its own sort of evil in it. I think...alcohol is incredible like that.
♆: It's all the same.
♃: No, no, no! It's so different. It's SO different. Like red wine make you lascivious but also kind of weepy. And beer makes you lazy but prepared to yell.
♆: Oh yeah? Then what does this make you feel?
♃: Hmmmmmm...
♃: I feel like I want to break a window?

♆: YOU'RE RIGHT, gently caress.
♆: I'M GOING TO THROW UP ON EVERYONE.

♆: Neither are YOU miss, it's written all over your smug lazy face, I can TELL, HA, HA,
♆: Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
♃: Noooooo it's truuuuuuue. This is a tragedy. How will my reputation as #1 untouchable tomboy prude ever recover.
♆: God don't complain, I got MOST touchable and it's not even true I'm not half as bad as those sluts in Group Southeast. Leave me ALONE please.
♆: People think you're cool, you know.
♃: They are wronggggggg and also jerks. Camp will be over soon anyway.
♆: Assholesssssss gently caress em. gently caress EM JUPITER.
♃: Ahahah YEAH.
♃: Let's do ANOTHER.
♆: Ahaha fine—

♃: Ahahah you shouldn't drink so fast.
♆: Ugh...no. It's not...that.
♃: Are you okay?
♆: Ah god I itch. *Cough cough*
♃: Neptune...?

[Silence.]

♆: It's
♆: Okay
♆: I
♆: ...stop...drat it...not
♆: ...here.

[MUSIC: Three Eves]

♃: Come let's go to the bathroom, don't throw up here—
♆: I'M FINE.
♆: DON'T.
♆: *cough cough cough*
♃: Neptune...!
♆: Don't look.

[Silence.]

♃: Are...you...

♆: Seriously, I'm fine.
♃: ...are you sure?
♆: Yeah I'm fine. I just felt a little sick.
♆: I can do...ONE more.
♃: One more.

Flac fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 17, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The writing in this game is on loving point.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rereading this thread, I'm guessing The Devil for Venus will have something to do with eyes (he keeps talking about seeing something) while for Neptune it will probably be something with mouths (the coughing and the talking without saying what she wants too).

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

flatluigi posted:

The writing in this game is on loving point.

Flac posted:

♆: YOU'RE RIGHT, gently caress.

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.
I've never really drunk so I kind of wonder if that bit about alcohol has any truth to it, personally?

Also I love Venus so much "I'm just gonna read" that kid is me all through high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Tazzypillar posted:

I've never really drunk so I kind of wonder if that bit about alcohol has any truth to it, personally?

"lazy but prepared to yell" is a good way to describe beer i think. Wine is too much for me so idk about that

• Locked thread