Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

akadajet posted:

lol and this guy has the gall to complain about working with driver vendors.

his complaints p much boil down to "they won't just do what I say"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is a p. common deficiency among programmers to vastly overestimate the value of the software you work on, and vastly underestimate the value of the things that depend on it

techniques for maintaining backwards compatibility should really be one of the top priorities in software engineering. the sum total value of windows 95 and earlier software still in active use in the world likely rivals microsofts market cap

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
do apple thunderbolt -> ethernet adapters work in linux?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is a p. common deficiency among programmers to vastly overestimate the value of the software you work on, and vastly underestimate the value of the things that depend on it

techniques for maintaining backwards compatibility should really be one of the top priorities in software engineering. the sum total value of windows 95 and earlier software still in active use in the world likely rivals microsofts market cap

the world banking system will collapse when the last fat neckbeard with good fortran knowledge retires

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Good, we haven't had one of those in almost a decade.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

blowfish posted:

the world banking system will collapse when the last fat neckbeard with good fortran knowledge retires

this is true

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I feel like people are continuing to use Gtk2 five years after Gtk3 came out purely to spite me at this point

Hey who needs their UIs to work on HiDPI screens anyway

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

I feel like people are continuing to use Gtk2 five years after Gtk3 came out purely to spite me at this point

probably not most desktop linux users?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
linux doesn't need more then 1366x768

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

is gtk3 binary compatible with gtk2?

if not there's your answer

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

theultimo posted:

i use terminal mode in 4k

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

theultimo posted:

I don't need desktop realestate when I can just use 13 virtual desktops??

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

eschaton posted:

is gtk3 binary compatible with gtk2?

if not there's your answer

I think Linus himself encountered such problems with his diving calculator app and created a nice long rant about how poo poo desktop toolkit developers are and how they constantly break things.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Gtk2 and Qt4 still work, but they're EOL and they don't support HiDPI (or Wayland or other such stuff).

Same as how nobody develops for MFC on Win32 or Carbon on OSX any more, but you don't hear people complaining about Carbon being deprecated and having to write UI code in ObjC.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

Gtk2 and Qt4 still work, but they're EOL and they don't support HiDPI (or Wayland or other such stuff).

Same as how nobody develops for MFC on Win32 or Carbon on OSX any more, but you don't hear people complaining about Carbon being deprecated and having to write UI code in ObjC.

you don't hear people complaining because carbon is still fully supported despite being deprecated. same with mfc

meanwhile gtk2 is a gigantic abandoned shitpile, and gtk3 wasn't even close to a viable replacement when gtk2 was originally abandoned

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 17, 2016

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lysidas posted:

if plugged in before power up, probably yes. it's some off the shelf broadcom pcie nic inside and that chip should already have a driver. idk if anyone has done the work to support tb pcie hotplug in linux so it might not do the right thing if the device wasn't already enumerated by firmware when control was handed off to an os

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lysidas posted:

BobHoward posted:

if plugged in before power up, probably yes. it's some off the shelf broadcom pcie nic inside and that chip should already have a driver. idk if anyone has done the work to support tb pcie hotplug in linux so it might not do the right thing if the device wasn't already enumerated by firmware when control was handed off to an os

i have actually done this.

they work 100% if they are plugged in at boot.

hotplug hypothetically "works" if you install linux natively (no boot camp) but the last time i tried it, it was so unreliable that you couldn't count on it. it feels like half the time it fails to come up, the other half of the time it hangs the system.

it's very possible the status of that code has improved, that was very early days

edit: just by the by, the standards for thunderbolt indicate that the system firmware is supposed to do all the heavy lifting. but apple moved that code into osx. so if the firmware thinks you're running osx, it doesn't do any device initialization after boot. unfortunately Linux has to tell the hardware that it's actually OSX to get other things to be un-broken. Ugh.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 17, 2016

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you don't hear people complaining because carbon is still fully supported despite being deprecated. same with mfc

meanwhile gtk2 is a gigantic abandoned shitpile, and gtk3 wasn't even close to a viable replacement when gtk2 was originally abandoned

There's no 64-bit version of Carbon and it was EOLed in 2012, around when Gtk3 came out.

Gtk2 still works and still gets bug fixes. They're on point release 24 or something like that now.

But it doesn't support HiDPI and it doesn't support Wayland, and it still uses the old-rear end GDK rendering backend and its old theming engines and all that stuff.

Classic Win32 GUI programs don't look so hot on HiDPI screens either.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
of course they didn't update carbon to be 64 bit. but your old 32 bit applications will still compile and link just fine

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

I sure heard the screams when it happened. also that was a matter of platform direction, not a new version of a framework breaking binary compatibility with an older version.

gtk2 to gtk3 breaking binary compatibility is like Cocoa on OS X 10.5 breaking binary compatibility with Cocoa on 10.4, which just doesn't happen. the core frameworks are sufficiently stable that code compiled in 2006 for the first Intel-based Macs running 10.4 runs just fine on the very latest running 10.11 as-is, without even a recompile

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You can still compile Gtk2 code written ten years ago and have it work today jfc what is this straw man you people are savagely demolishing

eschaton posted:

gtk2 to gtk3 breaking binary compatibility is like Cocoa on OS X 10.5 breaking binary compatibility with Cocoa on 10.4

No, it really isn't. It's an incompatible new revision of the toolkit that's co-installable with the previous version. That's what a bump in the major version number means, it's a change in ~*platform direction*~ in the same sense.

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html

The porting process isn't exactly onerous either, it's basically just "If you render your own custom 2D graphics in your widgets then use Cairo to do it instead of GDK's native 2D graphics wrappers". Certainly nothing like having to port your UI code from C to Objective C.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

blowfish posted:

same, except cobol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

Gtk2 still works and still gets bug fixes. They're on point release 24 or something like that now.

i thought you were talking about gtk 2.24, and you're not. they are actually supporting gtk 2.24 with additional bugfix releases, most recently 2.24.29 in december of 2015

i am very happy to be wrong about this

thank you mr dog for pointing out that i am wrong and the gtk maintainers are doing something right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

craisins posted:

same, except cobol

banks and payroll companies and all the other mainframe users realized this was a problem 20 years ago

as a result, cobol programmers are very often pimply faced youths, not greybeards. all the greybeards are retired or dead and now they just churn through a bunch of high-turnover young people

i don't want to think about what this means for code quality

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

banks and payroll companies and all the other mainframe users realized this was a problem 20 years ago

as a result, cobol programmers are very often pimply faced youths, not greybeards. all the greybeards are retired or dead and now they just churn through a bunch of high-turnover young people

i don't want to think about what this means for code quality

don't we have all of those modern software engineering techniques that promote development and retain quality?

Test driven design? Scrumming? Continuous Integration? DevOps? Stuff the kids are learning in college?

Don't tell me that you can't simply throw a buzzword at a code maintenance software development team and expect instant results and massive improvement!

Hey, my buddy recommended Confluence so I got a copy for everyone. Make sure there's a ticket for whatever anyone is working on and CC me on everything.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

nice work exemplifying the point about backwards compatibility, software build on gtk2 is likely still far more valuable than gtk2 itself, gtk3, and all software on gtk3, put together. good work throwing out a bunch of value for your own loving convenience and ideals gtk devs

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

celeron 300a posted:

don't we have all of those modern software engineering techniques that promote development and retain quality?

Test driven design? Scrumming? Continuous Integration? DevOps? Stuff the kids are learning in college?

Don't tell me that you can't simply throw a buzzword at a code maintenance software development team and expect instant results and massive improvement!

Hey, my buddy recommended Confluence so I got a copy for everyone. Make sure there's a ticket for whatever anyone is working on and CC me on everything.

DevOps ftw

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nice work exemplifying the point about backwards compatibility, software build on gtk2 is likely still far more valuable than gtk2 itself, gtk3, and all software on gtk3, put together. good work throwing out a bunch of value for your own loving convenience and ideals gtk devs

in the context of backwards compatibility, the value of software on [Version X] is the cost to move it to [Version X+1], not the revenue it actually generates

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
KDE is the worst loving desktop environment I have ever had the displeasure to use. Zero redeemable qualities. It has blanketed me in piss.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

kde plasma 5 owns

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

kde plasma 5 owns

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

You can still compile Gtk2 code written ten years ago and have it work today jfc what is this straw man you people are savagely demolishing

you should still be able to run executables built 10 years ago against Gtk2, against Gtk3, as long as you haven't changed architectures

that you can't just demonstrates that Gtk is a clown show

quote:

No, it really isn't. It's an incompatible new revision of the toolkit that's co-installable with the previous version. That's what a bump in the major version number means, it's a change in ~*platform direction*~ in the same sense.

that's only what a bump in major version numbers means in the delusional fantasies of Gtk developers

here in the real world, a major version number change means major new features

you don't get to break binary compatibility

you do know that Apple has actually continued to improve Carbon despite it being deprecated, right? so Carbon apps can do things like run in HiDPI, and still work on the latest OS X releases

a Carbon app compiled for the first GM release of OS X 10.4 for Intel still runs today on the latest release of OS X 10.11, it doesn't even need to be rebuilt

the fact that this doesn't work for Gtk apps makes Gtk terrible

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

lol
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

quote:

I’m sorry I have to come with bad news.

We were exposed to an intrusion today. It was brief and it shouldn’t impact many people, but if it impacts you, it’s very important you read the information below.

What happened?

Hackers made a modified Linux Mint ISO, with a backdoor in it, and managed to hack our website to point to it.

Does this affect you?

As far as we know, the only compromised edition was Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition.

If you downloaded another release or another edition, this does not affect you. If you downloaded via torrents or via a direct HTTP link, this doesn’t affect you either.

Finally, the situation happened today, so it should only impact people who downloaded this edition on February 20th.

Linux mint + cinnamon being target by hackers! Truly 2016 is the year of linux on the desktop!

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

trying to get my printer working with a raspberry pi, after 3 hours it still doesn't work, only drivers that exist are x86 or x64, no arm support it looks like but other people have gotten it working and i have no idea why what they did worked but me doing exactly that does not

~*linux*~

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

lol
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

Linux mint + cinnamon being target by hackers! Truly 2016 is the year of linux on the desktop!

TBF, anybody who uses Linux Mint should be targeted by hackers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

TBF, anybody who uses Linux Mint should be targeted by hackers.

:agreed:

lunix mint started out as a good idea and gave us cinnamon (a heroic attempt at a good linux desktop that fell only slightly instead of very short), then lunix rot (like winrot except systemic and put in by dumb devs pre-install) set in

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Apocadall posted:

trying to get my printer working with a raspberry pi, after 3 hours it still doesn't work, only drivers that exist are x86 or x64, no arm support it looks like but other people have gotten it working and i have no idea why what they did worked but me doing exactly that does not

~*linux*~

well you are using arm who the hell uses arm on anything except a phone

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Celexi posted:

i dunno he might be a arm dev homeless person

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

Google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

arm chomebooks lol

there's a reason i3 chomebooks exist now