Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
My motorola is good

But they got bought out by the chinese so their support is going to suck now. And their hardware is getting shittier too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

stealie72 posted:

I don't get how Motorola is still in business in a world of samsung, apple, LG, and to a lesser extent HTC.

They aren't really. Cellphone Motorola got spun off from Motorola proper a few years ago, then Google bought it, then Lenovo bought it, and they're probably going to reduce it to a brand name soon

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AMD was a good, cheap alternative to Intel, now it's trash. AdBlock was good, now it's a resource hog that constantly begs for money. Some video card assembly companies were good, now they're known to make shoddy products. Avast antivirus was decent, now it's horrible.

Things change rapidly with hardware and software, the things everyone was recommending last time you checked might turn into things you should avoid at all cost.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Unguided posted:

AMD was a good, cheap alternative to Intel, now it's trash. AdBlock was good, now it's a resource hog that constantly begs for money. Some video card assembly companies were good, now they're known to make shoddy products. Avast antivirus was decent, now it's horrible.

Things change rapidly with hardware and software, the things everyone was recommending last time you checked might turn into things you should avoid at all cost.

It's a pretty safe bet that most free software that was good and useful 5+ years ago is now loaded with malware and would like to enhance your web surfing experience with injected ads and search bars

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unguided posted:

Ublock origin is the superior adblocker on Firefox right now

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Aleph Null posted:

I've bought AMD for my personal computers for 20 years. I remember being so stoked about the Athlon and then about x64. I even had some of the official, metal AMD Inside! stickers. They were on fire!
What went wrong? Bulldozer? Buying ATI?

Like Intel a few years earlier, AMD made a bad CPU design decision and took too long to get a mediocre product out the door, and is now slowly playing catch-up. Unlike Intel, AMD can't just drown problems in literal mountains of cash.

yogizh posted:

AMD will rise from the ashes with their 32-core processors that will be used in consoles, because SONY is too loving greedy to use serious hardware.
If they submit to closed source and console peasantry they have a chance of surviving.

Hey now, at least game developers might be forced to finally let applications scale over multiple cores properly :v:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Aralan posted:

It's a pretty safe bet that most free software that was good and useful 5+ years ago is now loaded with malware and would like to enhance your web surfing experience with injected ads and search bars

Remember when sourceforge was actually a trusted source for software downloads and not a malware delivery platform?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vyst posted:

Ublock origin is the superior adblocker on Firefox right now

This is true, AdBlock went to hell since Google was pretty upset about the whole concept since half of Google's revenue comes from the ad words.

So Adblock took a offer they couldn't refuse from Google to whitelist stuff like the adwords

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

etalian posted:

This is true, AdBlock went to hell since Google was pretty upset about the whole concept since half of Google's revenue comes from the ad words.

So Adblock took a offer they couldn't refuse from Google to whitelist stuff like the adwords

Does ublock origin manage to block youtube video ads like AdBlock Plus? That's one of the most important things to block for me.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

blowfish posted:

Does ublock origin manage to block youtube video ads like AdBlock Plus? That's one of the most important things to block for me.

Yes

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Good, installing it now.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

FishionMailed posted:

Yeah I gladly pay a little more for 21 and up only, alcohol, nice rear end seats, and assigned seating. My friends all saw the new Star Wars in a regular style theater and showed up 5 hours beforehand to make sure they got good seats. loving scrubs. it's only like $4-5 more anyway.

Seeing a movie in a theater isn't cheap nowadays no matter how you slice it so might as well make it more of an event. I also rarely go to theaters anyway so take that as you will.

Sounds like some of the new theatres you see popping up in the more progressive towns like Seattle, New York, and SanFran.

Go to any one of those towns, you can find a theatre featuring hardcore gay sex, and the staff doesn't get uptight over mobile devices and angry HJ's

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah ublock is dope

It's funny how anytime a really good product like that comes out you know they're gonna sell out eventually and go against what the whole point of the program was

Like I remember all those good free PDF readers I've been using over the years that just slowly turned to poo poo and the free spyware cleaners that eventually add spyware themselves, etc

I can't think of any other good examples but yeah

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

utorrent was once like 25kb, then it presumably got acquired by the russian mafia

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

God damnit that was the other example I couldn't think of! I remember that whole scandal where it was installing spyware and the dude took all the pertinent screenshots and they still lied through their teeth about it

You guys remember that lame rear end Facebook alternative that was popular for a month that took pride in not being ran by a corporation and having no ads and data mining etc. I wonder if they sold out yet

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

blowfish posted:

Like Intel a few years earlier, AMD made a bad CPU design decision and took too long to get a mediocre product out the door, and is now slowly playing catch-up. Unlike Intel, AMD can't just drown problems in literal mountains of cash.

Has AMD put out anything decent since they stopped making the Athlon chips? I used one of their X3 chips for a while before putting money down on an i5.
X3 was pretty crap.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Happy Bear Suit posted:

utorrent was once like 25kb, then it presumably got acquired by the russian mafia

qbtorrent is the successor to the lightweight BT client throne

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

blowfish posted:

Hey now, at least game developers might be forced to finally let applications scale over multiple cores properly :v:

Its not really a matter of 'let', effectively using that many cores is hard. Google Amdahls Law. Hence why its a scrub tier strategy compared to making individual cores fast!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

is that the reason why all those clickbait ads about cheap razors and whatnot on numerous websites don't get blocked on Adblock?

edit: just installed uBlock and those ads aren't appearing. good riddance Adblock you won't be missed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Y-Hat posted:

is that the reason why all those clickbait ads about cheap razors and whatnot on numerous websites don't get blocked on Adblock?

edit: just installed uBlock and those ads aren't appearing. good riddance Adblock you won't be missed

yep. adblock is basically taking payments to whitelist ad services and poo poo. it's really bad.

install ublock everyone.

Also there are a lot of other little filters you can subscribe to that aren't subcribed by default, like fanboy annoyances and other anti-adblock warning filters that i'd recommend you subscribe to, it's under Settings - 3rd Party Filters. I pretty much just checked most of them without a problem.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

wow my chrome browser is moving a lot faster as well. i highly recommend ublock

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It's funny how anytime a really good product like that comes out you know they're gonna sell out eventually and go against what the whole point of the program was

It's probably because the sad truth is that people making altruistic programs that do useful poo poo out of the goodness of their hearts still have to eat and pay bills, and they can't devote thousands of hours upgrading their software without getting paid at some point. And even if they can, chances are some greedy gently caress or multiple greedy fucks will pounce on the Good Free App and offer a ton of money to the programmer who will immediately sell it off for a ton of money. The greedy gently caress(s) will then make a ton of money for the first few months until everybody gets fed up with the adware and spyware and then they'll migrate to another program that's similar but ad free.

Then the cycle repeats.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Buncha nerds in this thread! Speak English nerds! :argh:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

King of Bees posted:

Buncha nerds in this thread! Speak English nerds! :argh:

أنا لا أفهم

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

It's probably because the sad truth is that people making altruistic programs that do useful poo poo out of the goodness of their hearts still have to eat and pay bills, and they can't devote thousands of hours upgrading their software without getting paid at some point. And even if they can, chances are some greedy gently caress or multiple greedy fucks will pounce on the Good Free App and offer a ton of money to the programmer who will immediately sell it off for a ton of money. The greedy gently caress(s) will then make a ton of money for the first few months until everybody gets fed up with the adware and spyware and then they'll migrate to another program that's similar but ad free.

Then the cycle repeats.

Oh you better believe I'd sell out for enough money as well. It's just that with programs like that it's not a matter of if but when

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Good bye Adblock, hello UBlock

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It even exists for Opera, nice.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the uBlock recommendation. Any recommendations for a tracking blocker besides Ghostery? Do I even need a tracking blocker with UBlock?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Has AMD put out anything decent since they stopped making the Athlon chips? I used one of their X3 chips for a while before putting money down on an i5.
X3 was pretty crap.

The current thing (zen iirc?) would have been good two years ago. See: playing catch-up after spending too much time on a failed product (bulldozer/piledriver/...).

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I like the idea of a list of cool programs to have since some of us are stuck in 2008.

I have ublock, qbtorrent, what else is a good thing to have? Is AVG still a cool and handsome?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

Is AVG still a cool and handsome?

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/12/google-slams-avg-for-exposing-chrome-user-data-with-security-plugin/

Short answer: hell no. In terms of real-world use, there is no better antivirus than any other. Use Windows Defender because it's free and drastically less likely to contain dumb exploits but don't expect it to be a holy grail. Your best defense against malware is by avoiding untrusted attachments and not downloading shitware from poo poo places. Avoid in-browser Java and Flash if you don't need it. [Note: if you need it you're either in an enterprise environment and not in charge of these things, or you don't actually need it]

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is AVG still a cool and handsome?

The general consensus is Microsoft Security Essentials, if you're on Windows, is good enough for antivirus these days.

Antiquated programs derail chat: Has CCleaner been depreciated?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I like the idea of a list of cool programs to have since some of us are stuck in 2008.

I have ublock, qbtorrent, what else is a good thing to have? Is AVG still a cool and handsome?

Honestly Microsoft Security Essentials is just as effective as any of the free av programs with less adware and bloat

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

etalian posted:

HTC is pretty hosed at this point too

$800 for their VR, which they are staking the company on

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also I need to know of the anti- anti-adblockers.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

It's amazing coming back to this 6 years later. Nothing has changed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There was a good thread for a while with this kind of poo poo in one of those tech subforums no one uses. We should remake it.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Yelp is firing all their Literary Science majors, their research department is probably next.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

God damnit that was the other example I couldn't think of! I remember that whole scandal where it was installing spyware and the dude took all the pertinent screenshots and they still lied through their teeth about it

it wasn't just any ol' spyware, it was a bitcoin miner :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fiend posted:

Yelp is firing all their Literary Science majors, their research department is probably next.
yelp's doin fine, they aren't circling the drain. they're basically a mafia strongarming small businesses and poo poo to buy their premium" services or "else". their practices are super lovely but theres plenty of money to be had there offering "protectiopn, ontop of paid sponsorships.

biggest problem, like all tech companies, is they hire like 10x the amount of people they actually need to keep things running in the black. once they downsize back to a reasonable state it's fine.