Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Snuffman posted:

Antiquated programs derail chat: Has CCleaner been depreciated?

They haven't ruined it with ads (yet), and it does useful things still so probably not? Unless somebody can prove me wrong and provide an alternative that's better somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I don't remember exactly what CCleaner did, but I think Glary Utilities is similar and a bit more up to date?

my bosses are obsessed with this stupid "System Mechanic" software and I keep trying to get them not to loving run it because I'm pretty sure it breaks more things than it "Fixes" even though it constantly comes up with "Your PC has problems! Yellow alert! Run it now!". Old people :sigh:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The ublock intrigues me. I mostly use adblock + noscript still but I wouldn't mind something with less bloat if ublock doesn't need too much fine tuning.

I still use a combination of MSE + Malware Bytes + Hijackthis for my general security. CCLeaner and JKdefrag for defragger...but if I recall correctly Microsoft bought the algorithm for jkdefrag rendering it useless.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Holy poo poo Firefox is on iOS now. I live under a large rock.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

Holy poo poo Firefox is on iOS now. I live under a large rock.

Yeah, but you're still using webkit so its just Safari with a different coat of paint.

Personally, I find with iCloud on PC finally supporting bookmark syncing with Firefox there's no real reason to use anything other than Safari on iOS. Session continuity I suppose? :shrug:

In other Firefox news, they make their own ad blocker for iOS now but in my experience its not as good as Purify.

We really should take this "software situation update chat" elsewhere. :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fiend posted:

Yelp is firing all their Literary Science majors, their research department is probably next.

I have no clue why Groupon and Yelp are still around

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

etalian posted:

I have no idea why Yelp would hire someone with a Literary Science degree.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Snuffman posted:

Yeah, but you're still using webkit so its just Safari with a different coat of paint.

Personally, I find with iCloud on PC finally supporting bookmark syncing with Firefox there's no real reason to use anything other than Safari on iOS. Session continuity I suppose? :shrug:

In other Firefox news, they make their own ad blocker for iOS now but in my experience its not as good as Purify.

We really should take this "software situation update chat" elsewhere. :)

:agreed: apologies

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
iPhones are literally circling the drain nationwide because girls keep them in their back pockets and probably 1 in 3 ends up in the toilet.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

reallivedinosaur posted:

iPhones are literally circling the drain nationwide because girls keep them in their back pockets and probably 1 in 3 ends up in the toilet.

I've never understood people that do this. Sitting on your $700 machine is cool and good - a retard

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Business Gorillas posted:

I've never understood people that do this. Sitting on your $700 machine is cool and good - a retard

Pockets on girl clothes are too small for big or regular sized phones

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

Groupon is stupid and dying, only thing left are like lovely nail salon or "massage parlour" poo poo.

But Yelp is still around because an absolute absurd amount of people use it to find places, and it has tremendous sway. And Yelp has a good money-making model of going around to small or other business at figurative gunpoint saying "give us money or we're going to alter the algorithm that shows more negative ratings and hide your positive ratings and.. you might.. suffer :twisted:"

"Ok great, TY for your patronage! You have our protection!! Also now you have that, do you want to pay us $$ so we can make results for your business show up as #1?"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

reallivedinosaur posted:

I liked the Onion article about Apple selling to a special pre-cracked Iphone to college students.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My last phone model was a Motorola Photon Q. I broke 3 screens over the 2 year contract, just in my pocket for no discernable reason. No matter how minor the screen break it became totally unresponsive. Good thing I paid for the insurance.

My S6 got some minor cracks after I left it my pocket while wearing my fall restraint harness. That was back in October, atill haven't gone in to get my free replacement.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

is ccleaner just bloated as poo poo now and keeping with the theme of the things we are discussing in this thread? What's the alternative?

Fiend posted:

Yelp is firing all their Literary Science majors, their research department is probably next.

I hate the company as a whole and their shady tactics but is there really any alternative?

I knew a chef at a small restaurant and she said it would cost her boss $800/month to have 5 star reviews show first

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Feb 22, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I hate the company as a whole and their shady tactics but is there really any alternative?

I knew a chef at a small restaurant and she said it would cost her boss $800/month to have 5 star reviews show first

They also charge money to remove negative ratings

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

etalian posted:

"10 5 star reviews!

163 reviews that are not currently recommended"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

is ccleaner just bloated as poo poo now and keeping with the theme of the things we are discussing in this thread? What's the alternative?

It is still mostly usable.

#bendgate more like #you'refatgate

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

because those are the only pockets that are usable on girl pants. where you would expect pants to have pockets they instead have vestigial flaps that aren't really useful as pockets unless the only thing you need to put there is a bobby pin.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Aralan posted:

It's a pretty safe bet that most free software that was good and useful 5+ years ago is now loaded with malware and would like to enhance your web surfing experience with injected ads and search bars

uTorrent is a prime example of this. foxit PDF reader too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sudo Echo posted:

uTorrent is a prime example of this. foxit PDF reader too.

Yup. Two big ones that immediately come to mind

For those wondering (unless I'm missing something) Sumatra is the pdf program you want

Does Adobe Acrobat still take 20 minutes to open a PDF

red19fire
May 26, 2010

etalian posted:

Groupon died because word got out that it was basically suicide for any business to use it. Like anyone offering free anything (like a photographer offering a free 8x10) as an incentive would invariably get like a hundred customers who wanted the free thing and nothing else.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks to this thread I looked into whether or not I still had uTorrent on my computer.. it turns out I did! I tried removing it from A/R, but it told me I didn't have administrative privileges to remove it :psyduck:

I looked up some articles online and eventually found it in my Users folder, but it still wouldn't let me remove it because utorrenexie or something was running plus utorrent was still running somehow... I eventually found I had to stop whatever the exie thing was and remove utorrent from my hidden icons

I think I finally got it, but drat it's creepy how hard they make it to remove

This is a good thread, voted 5, tell me more useful things to do to my computer

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Professor Shark posted:

Thanks to this thread I looked into whether or not I still had uTorrent on my computer.. it turns out I did! I tried removing it from A/R, but it told me I didn't have administrative privileges to remove it :psyduck:

mu. mutorrent. μtorrent.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Adix posted:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/12/google-slams-avg-for-exposing-chrome-user-data-with-security-plugin/

Short answer: hell no. In terms of real-world use, there is no better antivirus than any other. Use Windows Defender because it's free and drastically less likely to contain dumb exploits but don't expect it to be a holy grail. Your best defense against malware is by avoiding untrusted attachments and not downloading shitware from poo poo places. Avoid in-browser Java and Flash if you don't need it. [Note: if you need it you're either in an enterprise environment and not in charge of these things, or you don't actually need it]

That AVG forced-install web securities poo poo also had the great feature to backup your system. It was so efficient at making sure you had backups that some users reported that it would back up your drive, over and over again until all of your disk space was used. I was one of the fortunate users who had the bug occur. I look at my hard drive and see that I have less than 1MB left, search to see what the hell is going on, and find the AVG folder bloated with thousands of gigs of the same files copied over and over again. Their forums were also ablaze with people complaining.

Who knows if they fixed it, I uninstalled that poo poo right away. It was a hard uninstall too.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Xaris posted:

Groupon is stupid and dying, only thing left are like lovely nail salon or "massage parlour" poo poo.

But Yelp is still around because an absolute absurd amount of people use it to find places, and it has tremendous sway. And Yelp has a good money-making model of going around to small or other business at figurative gunpoint saying "give us money or we're going to alter the algorithm that shows more negative ratings and hide your positive ratings and.. you might.. suffer :twisted:"

"Ok great, TY for your patronage! You have our protection!! Also now you have that, do you want to pay us $$ so we can make results for your business show up as #1?"

I wish I could find a Groupon for the local rub and tug parlor.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Unguided posted:

AMD was a good, cheap alternative to Intel, now it's trash. AdBlock was good, now it's a resource hog that constantly begs for money. Some video card assembly companies were good, now they're known to make shoddy products. Avast antivirus was decent, now it's horrible.

Things change rapidly with hardware and software, the things everyone was recommending last time you checked might turn into things you should avoid at all cost.

I think ASUS motherboards and corsair RAM have been the only constants

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you don't have to ditch utorrent entirely, just use an older version of it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

mu. mutorrent. μtorrent.

Nobody calls it that tho

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

etalian posted:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

wow I didn't know that; that's scuzzy as gently caress

also kinda defeats the point of the app a bit

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

Or you know, don't bother with finding ancient versions of software.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
i just use qbittorrent now

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

wow I didn't know that; that's scuzzy as gently caress

also kinda defeats the point of the app a bit

The point of the app is to make app money. So no, that's exactly what the app is for.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

For those wondering (unless I'm missing something) Sumatra is the pdf program you want

nope, not missing a thing, just as perfect as it ever was.

Casimir Radon posted:

My last phone model was a Motorola Photon Q. I broke 3 screens over the 2 year contract, just in my pocket for no discernable reason. No matter how minor the screen break it became totally unresponsive. Good thing I paid for the insurance.

My S6 got some minor cracks after I left it my pocket while wearing my fall restraint harness. That was back in October, atill haven't gone in to get my free replacement.

Still using the DroidX I got in 2010 with it's original screen. Case is beat up, dented, and scratched to hell but, the screen is still perfect! :classiclol: Well I did have a pixel go super nova a couple years ago and now there is a black hole slowly expanding out of the top left corner.

I just switched to uBlock Origin for Chrome, Thanks for the tip!! This is still the best ad blocker ever. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm, been using it for over a decade. Its simple and it just works. If you are using UD add that one to your third party lists.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

It even exists for Opera, nice.

Speaking of companies circling the drain...

their browser is now just a lovely chrome clone and they'll probably get bought out by some Chinese company. Although they did just 12.18 which to fix some SSL poo poo so that's pretty impressive.

otend
Jan 18, 2016

Y-Hat posted:

you don't HAVE to, sure, but it'd still be recommended to use a different program entirely for reasons involving it never being patched for exploits

unless, of course, you somehow have a giant business built on torrenting and would need to upgrade and transition like 200 computers to deluge or something

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

The point of the app is to make app money. So no, that's exactly what the app is for.

from a user's point of view obviously

if I'm trying to figure out where to eat in a new town but now I know that a) they strongarm businesses into paying outrageous amounts of money and b) allow people to pay to have reviews removed or hidden (don't they explicitly say they don't do this??) then I'm not going to use the app I'm just going to use the Google reviews or whatever instead.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of companies circling the drain...

their browser is now just a lovely chrome clone and they'll probably get bought out by some Chinese company. Although they did just 12.18 which to fix some SSL poo poo so that's pretty impressive.

That's because they see that at this point there are more people still using Opera 12 than any other version of their lovely chrome clone. Maybe keeping it on life support for a future relaunch. The Otter Project is still going, https://otter-browser.org/ the hard core Opera Classic user base is still out there. I still use it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FishionMailed posted:

from a user's point of view obviously

if I'm trying to figure out where to eat in a new town but now I know that a) they strongarm businesses into paying outrageous amounts of money and b) allow people to pay to have reviews removed or hidden (don't they explicitly say they don't do this??) then I'm not going to use the app I'm just going to use the Google reviews or whatever instead.

Google Reviews sadly isn't used much. Yelp reviews are still useful but yeah you gotta look more at all or most of the reviews and see what people liked/did not like, and not just take the rating for granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

mu. mutorrent. μtorrent.

That's dumb