Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking about the double IE vs shiv/PD thing on GP and I'm not actually sure double IE is better anymore considering that it only gives 65 AD and 20% crit chance now.

Like, the extra 65 AD, assuming you have another IE and are at say 80% crit chance, is an extra 130 damage per hit. The SS and PD both give 10% more crit chance in place of the 65 AD, which is something like 80-110 extra damage per hit (since your barrels will be doing something like 350-400 pre-crit damage if we are talking about this being your 5th or 6th item). This does not include the SS proc, which would be another 220 damage or so at 90% crit and IE, and then it also doesn't include the extra attack speed and move speed you get from both SS and PD. Yeah you don't often AA people in fights but the extra attack speed can help burn down uncontested towers or things like baron or dragon, and the move speed is just generally useful for obvious reasons.

This is also if all the items cost the same thing which they don't, the IE costs 1000 more. I think since arguably the SS is a better 5th/6th item than IE already, it's certainly much better if it costs 1000 less. Am I doing some math wrong here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wouldn't PD just be better than SS on anyone who doesn't need the wave clear? PD is arguably the best Zeal item atm in general I think.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I think with PD you're paying more for poo poo you aren't really using like the attack speed and the damage reduction, I think with GP specifically you can make better use of the shiv splash proc, especially when you are at 90% crit chance

I'm also not positive whether the shiv proc happens on keg explosions because I haven't tested it, but if it does it's deceptively good because the splash from the shiv will hit things whether they are in the actual keg range or not meaning it will probably add more damage on average than the extra IE damage since they'd have to be in the barrel range for that.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 21, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Replicating any one item you are paying for something unique you don't get. Therefore I don't like it, even if the stat stick is a good one.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think it's a case of pros doing something suboptimal they can get away with and kinda handwaving it away even though I'm almost positive it's mathematically worse

(getting two IE is worse that is)

Edit: The one thing I didn't account for, before anyone points it out, is that the extra bonus AD from IE applies to your passive, but I mean I dunno how often you're realistically getting off your passive in a fight anyway so I don't think the extra 65 true damage is really that big of a deal

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 21, 2016

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
You take thunderlords on bard because he gets it off real easy since meeps count as an ability, making his already incredibly strong level one even stronger

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There was just a Stormraider's Surge top lane Pantheon in LCS

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Spiros posted:

As far as I can tell, jungle and support are the most wanted roles. I always get one or the other if they're options in my queue. I would wager mid is probably sought after alongside top.

I honestly think ADC is starting to go up in terms of want. I was queuing as Bot/Jungle last night and got 4 Bot queues in a row

this means nothing if you queue support however, as you will always get support

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

henkman posted:

You take thunderlords on bard because he gets it off real easy since meeps count as an ability, making his already incredibly strong level one even stronger

Cool I didn't know that, makes sense.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Azzents posted:

I think role popularity is probably mid>top>jungle>adc>support.

Yeah I should queue mid/top just because I would get mid more often. I don't really want to play top, but I would like to have at least a few games of my main role in my ranked history.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
X-post from esports thread, question, can Caitlyn kill Malphite here? He didn't, but I feel like he could and should have. Additional information: Caitlyn Q comes off cooldown 5 seconds after this screenshot is taken.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

rabidsquid posted:

There was just a Stormraider's Surge top lane Pantheon in LCS

pantheon is probably one of the instances where stormraider's is pretty useful, because it lets him delete a person and then contribute more to the fight after deleting someone

mostly because the moment pantheon lands on someone, pretty much anyone with half a brain cell is going to spam any CC they possibly have at him

pantheon is not a subtle champ

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

The Mash posted:

X-post from esports thread, question, can Caitlyn kill Malphite here? He didn't, but I feel like he could and should have. Additional information: Caitlyn Q comes off cooldown 5 seconds after this screenshot is taken.

if he has net and flashes forward he can get an auto or two and ult will bring him maybe really close but it won't kill him and using flash for a kill is not worth it in competitive league esp. as the ADC

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'd rather thunderlord on Pantheon because you're going for more lane dominance. Dude already has a gap closer with W

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
:shepicide:

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
Is this guy painting his hair look older!?

http://imgur.com/9eH2KW0

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Rivington is like 36 or 37 he's actually old enough to have legit grey hair

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
Has leona been picked at all this season in lcs?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No, she's bad

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

OlmanRiver posted:

Has leona been picked at all this season in lcs?

No, if you need hard engage from the support position, Alistar is way better. Even with the small base nerf on Riptide last season, Nautilus is still arguably better than Leona as well and is a flex pick.

She's too much of a gamble, she's completely worthless when her team is behind because her kit is so one dimensional.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The Mash posted:

It looks like Malphite has a potion charge active (purple/green particles alongside the yellow flash ones), which means he's got more HP incoming than displayed. If Malph has armor runes on, as well, those plus defensive masteries and cloth armor might be enough damage to reduce Cait's damage by a large enough margin given she's sitting on D. Blade + Pickaxe.

If Cait has Net, she can definitely get an AA or two in, which might be enough with Q+R. However, if Cait doesn't have Net up she'll likely only get one AA in and that might not be enough. She definitely must land a Q in order to make the play happen. So it's definitely a solid maybe on whether he can pick up the kill or not, but I assume his decision against it was weighted against not having Flash up down the road.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

this has been my whole afternoon, broken up by one or two games when Riot decides to take a break from trolling me.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Mikujin posted:

, but I assume his decision against it was weighted against not having Flash up down the road.

Yeah. The kill is gettable but given the amount of babying that had to be done to try and keep Quinn somewhere near in the game, probably not worth burning summoners to get it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Doublelift has said he doesn't care about kda, he would rather win a game 0/0/0 super clean than get a penta. He didn't want to burn summoners.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Doublelift has said he doesn't care about kda, he would rather win a game 0/0/0 super clean than get a penta. He didn't want to burn summoners.

Honestly this is a huge difference b/w the best pros and most players. Regular idiots like me get so excited about doing something cool and flashy and bringing your number up and end up blowing spells unnecessarily or putting ourselves into danger we shouldn't have been in. I'm *terrible* at knowing when to disengage, and judging by the randos I play with, I'm not alone in that.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
This league of legends -> DC thing is pretty frustrating.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Methanar posted:

This league of legends -> DC thing is pretty frustrating.

I sympathize with you Methanar, as I had something similar happen to me a couple years ago with various games. Unfortunately, unless you happen to be playing on a wifi connection you're cribbing from someone else that has a lovely ISP, I'm not sure I have any advice to help with it.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

pkollar posted:

Honestly this is a huge difference b/w the best pros and most players. Regular idiots like me get so excited about doing something cool and flashy and bringing your number up and end up blowing spells unnecessarily or putting ourselves into danger we shouldn't have been in. I'm *terrible* at knowing when to disengage, and judging by the randos I play with, I'm not alone in that.

Lol, change a few pronouns and you did just describe dlift.

When it comes to the screenshot, he cant get it without blowing flash as his AAs will slow him down, and even then it's doubtful, bearing in mind that cait has terrible attack speed early on. Net would put him in range for the first auto but he'd be out of range straight after again. As Mikujin said he'd absolutely need to hit his Q. Also, I cant tell from this picture but it's possible that malphite's passive comes up soon. All in all it's a relatively low chance of success with a lot of time wasted if it doesnt work out.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Supports can totally carry. They might not always get the kills but they can manipulate poo poo so hard that even inept teammates can do their job.

i like playing bard and being a hard carry support

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I like watching Madlife carry in the LCK with Bard.

His Bard is so scary that most teams are at the point of banning it against him.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

I like watching Madlife carry in the LCK with Bard.

His Bard is so scary that most teams are at the point of banning it against him.

Oooh will you link some games?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My go-to support for dealing with bad teams these days is Zilean.

His bomb-stun is absurdly reliable and can come out multiple times in a fight, his ult allows you to save your braindead ADC from the inevitable four ults wasted on them, you can speed up and slow down allies and enemies which allows you a lot of subtle control over the team that nobody complains about. it's great. He's not the strongest support but he sure can carry a weak team.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Magres posted:

Oooh will you link some games?

IIRC this one was where he hit pretty much every bard ult and just walked all over my favorite team :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p793cgjVU4w

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
lmao we have come full cycle on the midlane rotation of strong and lovely picks because now Bjergsen is playing and un-ironically praising Mid Karma as good

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Mash posted:

Not worth risking him dodging the Q for a flash

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Are there too many strong champions right now? I feel like even with three really good bans someone is going to slip through the cracks.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Gridlocked posted:

IIRC this one was where he hit pretty much every bard ult and just walked all over my favorite team :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p793cgjVU4w

Follow up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g07KQpJjYi8

CJ lost the match over all but Madlife got Bard in this game and carried to ultimate victory. It's a 1hr game though so if you skip to like the 1 hour exactly mark you can watch the game winning play in all it's glory.

Edit: also the 48min mark on the VoD for epic Madlife game saves.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 22, 2016

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

amazeballs posted:

Are there too many strong champions right now? I feel like even with three really good bans someone is going to slip through the cracks.

Not that I have seen. I feel like right now the really too-strong picks right now are Kogmaw, Xin Zhao and Udyr. Ban anything else to your preference based on matchup or annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I keep running into this glitch where when I'm in a group, I don't see the accept button until 10 seconds after the entire group. RITOOO

• Locked thread