Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Thanks. It does sound like 5 is the better of the two. Mecha anime plots are enjoyable for their ridiculous and fun moments at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If I wanted to try Suikoden, I should play 1, 2, skip 3 and 4, and play 5 yeah?

What about Tierkreis.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

voltcatfish posted:

What about Tierkreis.

Tierkreis is the absolute worst. Do not play Tierkreis.

3 is controversial more than anything. Personally I like it, but it definitely isn't for everyone. I'd at least try it out as it is the finale to the series with 4 and 5 being prequels. 4 is just hot unmitigated garbage to play though, and has almost nothing to do with the rest of the series.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ImpAtom posted:

It has a guy voiced by Norio Wakamoto punch a missile though. That's the high point of the game. Look that up on Youtube and you've seen the only worthwhile part of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9KFOJzn3u4&t=119s

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 22, 2016

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

What about Tierkreis.

No you should play 3. It's flawed but still a good game and a direct sequel to 2. 4 however yeah avoid by whatever means necessary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

WA4 was written by Tomino????

WA4 was written by someone who desperately wanted to evoke Tomino but was bad at it.

voltcatfish posted:

What about Tierkreis.

Tierkries and the PSP game both suck rear end and should not be played. I'd say give 3 a shot though. It isn't great but it has some strong moments and is the closest to a resolution the series-wide plot will ever have.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

I still remember the end of Disc 1 where the villain broadcasts his speech across the world and it's just a bunch of gibberish
speaking of gibberish

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the same writer who wrote the plot to wild arms 2 and 3 was apparently also involved in wild arms 4, but i don't really know to what degree, since it looks they're credited with scenario writing for the previous two, and screenwriting for 4

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Fire Emblem Fates is good and cool, but I can see grinding out all these supports taking a long time, and I've got like 5 other 3DS games on hold already. Need more hours in a day. Do you guys tend to focus on one game at a time or spread your playtime out across multiple titles?

voltcatfish posted:

What about Tierkreis.

EDIT: I absolutely misread what you posted. 2, 5 and 3 are generally accepted as the better games in the series but I'd recommend playing them all.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 22, 2016

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
There's a new star ocean coming out soon. I never played the old ones. Are they actually good? How's the story? And if I would want to prepare for 5, which ones should I watch an LP of?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NeilPerry posted:

There's a new star ocean coming out soon. I never played the old ones. Are they actually good? How's the story? And if I would want to prepare for 5, which ones should I watch an LP of?

i think 1 and 2 are supposed to be pretty cool. star ocean 3 is hilariously dumb in some pretty incredible ways, and star ocean 4 just kind of sucks. i don't know if any of them are really connected in any way

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

i think 1 and 2 are supposed to be pretty cool. star ocean 3 is hilariously dumb in some pretty incredible ways, and star ocean 4 just kind of sucks. i don't know if any of them are really connected in any way

2 and 4 have a few cameos/callbacks to 1 but aren't connected in any meaningful way, 3 shits all over the series setting so you might want to play it last.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
or, if you really want to play 3, you can just play it whenever and not really care about the plot recognizing that it probably will never come up ever again and basically exists in a vacuum

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

NeilPerry posted:

You shouldn't need to know any of the old games to play SO5. There are some minor references but they're not really plot relevant. Opinions on the series are pretty mixed but nearly everyone hates 4, many thought the plot twist in 3 was stupid, and recently many folks think 2 is weird and aged badly. Personally 2 is still my favorite game ever :lol: and 3 is quite different from it but the first 3D one and very fun to play. The stories range from basic SFF to dumb anime tropes, but the strength of them is in the large amounts of side interaction your characters can have, and the 5 million skill and crafting systems you can use to bend the game to your will. They tend to be both good & so-bad-it's-good, basically.

Unrelated, I also think Suikoden 4 might be considered almost worth playing... on an emulator... with encounters turned off

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

voltcatfish posted:

1 hasn't aged well but it's short and easy enough to blaze through in a weekend or so and flows well into 2, which is probably the best game in the series, so having that extra context (and a save file to import, preferably with all 108 stars) only adds to the experience.

After that is where things start to get a bit weird. 3's story and characters are totally worthwhile, but the mechanics took a weird left turn in a lot of places, some good, some bad. Absolutely no reason not to play it if the first two hook you, but be prepared for a potentially rough transition. 4 is generally bland and oversimplified, tends to feel really disconnected from the rest of the series, and the sailing was terrible. Tactics is the better game in that time period but probably not worth slogging through 4 just for a little extra side material.

5 is a solid return to form, but also sort of a technical mess. Like 3, it's worth it for the story, with caveats.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
Wild Arms 3 is still one of the most underrated PS2 games out there

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

dukerson posted:

Wild Arms 3 is still one of the most underrated PS2 games out there

and you can get it cheaper than Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

WA3 is coming to ps4 at some point most likely, and everyone should buy it when it does because its the best ps2 game behind devil summoner 2.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Also in unpopular opinions: Tierkreis is not the worst game I have ever played, especially if you can ignore the acting (but it is by no stretch of the imagination a Suikoden game, of course)

for instance, it's not as much of a complete gently caress YOU as Lunar: Dragon Song

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'It's not as bad as Dragon Song' isn't exactly a recommendation though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I want to beat dragon song one of these days when I finally decide I want to feel pain again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could just read one of your posts instead

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Sakurazuka posted:

'It's not as bad as Dragon Song' isn't exactly a recommendation though.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I want to beat dragon song one of these days when I finally decide I want to feel pain again.

sometimes bad games are like bad pizza. pretty bad but still pizza. & they make you appreciate good ones? sometimes.......

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Aside from Liz and Ard, the best characters in WA2 are the two nurses in your base that you visit in order to heal your party.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really like WA4 but I wish Raquel was in a better game, she's super rad and so is her ludicrous execution rate for Move & Attack.

Greg in WA5 was cool too. Both games have really good soundtracks (really all WA games do), I'd suggest listening to a bunch of tracks from either even if you have no interest in the games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

2 and 4 have a few cameos/callbacks to 1 but aren't connected in any meaningful way, 3 shits all over the series setting so you might want to play it last.

It's very obvious the stupid twist in 3 is pretty much being ignored by even the creators at this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NeilPerry posted:

2 is the only one I've played and it is the most popular game in the series and it's still mostly garbage story-wise.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

What about Tierkreis.

3 is good, but you dont get the ability to fast travel between areas until very late in the game, which is very frustrating.

also geddoe is cool as heck

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Geddoe and his group owns, Chris is cool but her entourage sucks (minus Nash), Hugo is a butt

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Verranicus posted:

Do you guys tend to focus on one game at a time or spread your playtime out across multiple titles?

With portables especially I keep a few games on there so when one risks burning me out I can swap to another. My 3DS is currently Rune Factory 4, Devil Survivor Overclocked, a couple of smaller puzzle games, and debating getting Project X Zone 2 since I'm nearly done with those.

Let's not even talk about PC, which is currently a mess of titles I need to polish off I'm at various places in (Witcher 2, FF8, FFT-0, Lightning Returns, ToME, and some non-RPG stuff unrelated to this discussion).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Almost through Chapter 6 of Bravely Default, just need to get the last Job and master it.

At this point i'm finding it pretty loving funny that now even the main cast is bashing you over the head with "GEE I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF WE BROKE THE CRYSTAL GUYS!"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm one of the weirdoes who actually really likes the gameplay of WA 4, much moreso than 5 honestly. 5 does have a better plot, but that doesn't really mean much when it only very slightly has a better plot and still has a resoundingly lovely, awful ending.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Suikoden 3 was good because it had Nash, and Nash is so cool and awesome they needed to write two whole visual novels about him just to contain his awesomeness.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Verranicus posted:

Do you guys tend to focus on one game at a time or spread your playtime out across multiple titles?
At any given point of time I'm usually playing something on a console (MGS4 at the moment) and something on either the PC or a handheld (likewise, The Swapper on Steam at the moment).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Suikoden Tactics is good

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

corn in the bible posted:

Suikoden Tactics is good

Beats Suikoden 4 by a mile. But it's generally pretty good on its own.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I tried Suikoden 3 recently and the plot and characters really seemed interesting, but I was put off by the awful graphics and soundtrack and mediocre gameplay

Might give it another chance in the future, though

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Levantine posted:

Beats Suikoden 4 by a mile. But it's generally pretty good on its own.

I generally consider it to be the much superior second half of Suikoden 4. Suikoden 4 itself had kind of a non-ending with a final boss fight which never got explained. Tactics does explain it and actually ties up a lot of loose ends.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I generally consider it to be the much superior second half of Suikoden 4. Suikoden 4 itself had kind of a non-ending with a final boss fight which never got explained. Tactics does explain it and actually ties up a lot of loose ends.

I agree, they are better taken as a pair but it's hard to recommend anyone play Suikoden 4, especially if you want to remain friends with them. Hero is loving broken as poo poo in Suiko Tactics, though, so it's probably worth playing just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Verranicus posted:

Fire Emblem Fates is good and cool, but I can see grinding out all these supports taking a long time, and I've got like 5 other 3DS games on hold already. Need more hours in a day. Do you guys tend to focus on one game at a time or spread your playtime out across multiple titles?

EDIT: I absolutely misread what you posted. 2, 5 and 3 are generally accepted as the better games in the series but I'd recommend playing them all.
Spread. Play until no longer having fun then move on. Finishing games is largely irrelevant these days since the end of games are usually the weakest so don't force it. So I just move on aggressively.

The supports don't take too long unless you want every support or every kid. Personally I'm ignoring most of the kids this time since they got so shoehorned into the game.