Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

"Ottoman empire has declared us their rival"

Sempai noticed me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Dai Viet alternately switches between allying with me and joining wars against me as the ally of some third power. How tsundere~

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Phlegmish posted:

Need Aragon romance guide, I Improved Relations but they still won't go on a date with me.

offer a gift

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
speaking of gifts im like alwayas at 12-13k ducats right now as ottomans.

is me strat of being hey vassal guy here is 1k ducats go crazy! a bad idea?

my only vassal is the opm mamalukes (lol) but i was tossing money to tripoli before i integrated them

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

verbal enema posted:

my only vassal is the opm mamalukes (lol) but i was tossing money to tripoli before i integrated them

Giving money to vassals that being integrated is kinda pointless unless the money will make them like you enough to continue integrating them. Otherwise if you've got more money than you know how to spend then go nuts. Give subsidies to people your enemies are fighting, build manufactories in every province, or throw thousands of ducats at a native american tribe and watch them get ground into dust slightly slower than they would have without your help etc.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

verbal enema posted:

every time i'm filthy rich in Eu4 i just give ridiculous amounts of money to my rival's rivals and see them flood my enemies with mercenaries.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone here play Black Ice for Hoi3? Installed it and it seems drastically different, not sure if it makes it better, but definitely a nicer experience to try and I also like lots of events.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gfanikf posted:

Anyone here play Black Ice for Hoi3? Installed it and it seems drastically different, not sure if it makes it better, but definitely a nicer experience to try and I also like lots of events.

Black Ice is really spergy, adds a ton of historical (read, nazi) units and really thinks the holocaust should be a big part of the game. It didn't make it any more fun for me than the base game.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Demiurge4 posted:

really thinks the holocaust should be a big part of the game.
How so? I skimmed it and didn't notice it.

I mean the Nazi and NKVD stuff I can get (and I'll have to admit the idea of needing an NKVD blocking unit to make mass conscript troops work is interesting)....but please tell me there isn't a gas chamber tech tree.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

karmicknight posted:

I hope fascist America is led by the Business Plot conspirators.

Oh no, not another Bush presidency.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

gfanikf posted:

but please tell me there isn't a gas chamber tech tree.

If there was it wouldn't be allowed on the PDox forums.

Hah

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/700641904493359104

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 22, 2016

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Did France get buffed in the Vicky 2 beta patch? They're actually no.1 right now in my game and we're up to the 1910s, something I've pretty much never seen before as the UK, US or Germany often trumps them easily.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Speaking of the Vicky 2 beta patch, there's a tweak I'd like to see regarding how sphering should affect your tech research. If someone in your sphere has gained a tech that you don't have, you should get a 5 or 10 percent bonus towards the research of it. The idea behind it is that when you have someone sphered, you have access to their intelligentsia/industrial know-how as well. And it should work in both directions because odds are, there's going to be enterprising gentlemen of $GREATPOWER selling the latest in guns and butter to everyone in their sphere.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Unless Wiz has found himself with a lot of free time after being shuffled off EU4 then you'll probably be waiting until next Christmas, if ever, for another patch.

Anyway, today's Strllaris DD is up talking about Alliances and Federations. The alliances sound pretty nice, if only because it sounds like weaker, poo poo tier nations you brought into the field for their resources or a convenient path somewhere can't drag you into every petty dispute while loving up your other plans and relationships. Not so suee about federations though, it looks more like a highly situational option...

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fstellaris-dev-diary-22-alliances-and-federations.909915%2F

Link for the lazy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:love: Thank you for linking.

I'm really liking what they are doing with a lot of the aspects of Stellaris and I may be forced to get over the planetary tile management, ship designing, and other things I am not so fond of.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Unless Wiz has found himself with a lot of free time after being shuffled off EU4 then you'll probably be waiting until next Christmas, if ever, for another patch.

Anyway, today's Strllaris DD is up talking about Alliances and Federations. The alliances sound pretty nice, if only because it sounds like weaker, poo poo tier nations you brought into the field for their resources or a convenient path somewhere can't drag you into every petty dispute while loving up your other plans and relationships. Not so suee about federations though, it looks more like a highly situational option...

I get the impression that federations will be used more by the AI banding together against large threats than by the player. I can't imagine many players wanting to give up that much control over their foreign policy and fleets, especially since it seems the rotating president has all the power and there's no talk about any kind of internal federation politics that mean you can try and control the presidency more often than your fair share (like merchant republics in CK2).

I would imagine that what will happen is no one will use federations except the AI, Paradox will see this in their internal player stats, and a year after release they'll put out a DLC that significantly expands federation mechanics to include some kind of internal politics feature to entice players to actually take part in federations with the prospect of having the presidency more than the AI.

One question for any Stellaris devs in here, since in a federation there's a shared military, what happens if you leave a federation? Does the federation keep all the ships and armies and you have to start from scratch? Do you get a proportionate share of the military in your newly independent military?

Also, are there mechanics for federations to fall apart, or is it the case that once one forms it tends to stay in place for the rest of the game unless destroyed from the outside?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

vyelkin posted:

One question for any Stellaris devs in here, since in a federation there's a shared military, what happens if you leave a federation? Does the federation keep all the ships and armies and you have to start from scratch? Do you get a proportionate share of the military in your newly independent military?

Dev Diary posted:

Another interesting feature of Federations is that they have a special joint space navy in addition to the forces of the separate member empires. The Federation president gets to design these ship templates using all the best technologies of all the member empires. The president also gets to control these fleets, of course

It sounds like the Federation military is separate from the military forces that the individual member states control. So you'd keep the navy you have, if you've been maintaining your own.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Takanago posted:

It sounds like the Federation military is separate from the military forces that the individual member states control. So you'd keep the navy you have, if you've been maintaining your own.

Oh thanks, I missed that. Still, I wonder, if a federation was falling apart does this mean that the last member standing would get to keep the entire federation fleet? Or would it be handed out piecemeal to the members as they left? Or would it just disband when the federation dissolved?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Unless I'm reading it wrong I don't think they share a military, I think the individual members have their own militaries and then there's a separate federation military that the president creates and controls and they can use ship designs from all the other members when building it.

Edit: beaten

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

vyelkin posted:

I get the impression that federations will be used more by the AI banding together against large threats than by the player. I can't imagine many players wanting to give up that much control over their foreign policy and fleets, especially since it seems the rotating president has all the power and there's no talk about any kind of internal federation politics that mean you can try and control the presidency more often than your fair share (like merchant republics in CK2).

I would imagine that what will happen is no one will use federations except the AI, Paradox will see this in their internal player stats, and a year after release they'll put out a DLC that significantly expands federation mechanics to include some kind of internal politics feature to entice players to actually take part in federations with the prospect of having the presidency more than the AI.
Become president -> Start massively destructive war to weaken your allies -> Leave federation -> Conquer former allies.

But yeah, it would be kinda cool if you could attempt to dominate a federation, even if it also meant you risked getting kicked out.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I kind of want to play in a federation just because it seems narratively satisfying to do so. :v:

Edit: Have there been any Stellaris gameplay videos yet? I'd like to see how things like the map work in practice since it's so different looking from the mapgames I'm used to.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Empress Theonora posted:

I kind of want to play in a federation just because it seems narratively satisfying to do so. :v:

Edit: Have there been any Stellaris gameplay videos yet? I'd like to see how things like the map work in practice since it's so different looking from the mapgames I'm used to.

It's old but there's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRp7T5irXTQ

If you've played Space Empires 4 or AI War, that seems to be pretty close to the style of map system this game will use.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Rotating presidency sounds like removing features to sell as DLC later because confederation elections were originally described as HRE-like :tinfoil:

But being fair, a rushed HRE mechanic would absolutely blow and I would be glad for it to get focus and attention in an expansion instead.

Even with the downside of not being president for life, you can still envision Cold War scenarios where if you get caught outside of 2 major federations you're easy pickings for the biggest power blocks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The question of "what happens to a Federation navy when the federation dissolves" is a pretty interesting one, kinda more so because they're built with the best tech available from all members. If the last member got to keep the whole navy, or even if it were parceled out as it all falls apart, it could potentially be a way for backwards/behind empires to get shiny new toys and maybe even the playing field a bit.

Or maybe a Federation is such a monolithic polity it'll be impossible to leave once you're in one. One of us, one of us.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Sounds like a great mechanic for roleplaying as the Federation in Star Trek. If you go by the ENT storyline, the humans, Andorians, Vulcans and Tellarites basically banded together for that exact reason.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Arrath posted:

The question of "what happens to a Federation navy when the federation dissolves" is a pretty interesting one, kinda more so because they're built with the best tech available from all members. If the last member got to keep the whole navy, or even if it were parceled out as it all falls apart, it could potentially be a way for backwards/behind empires to get shiny new toys and maybe even the playing field a bit.

Or maybe a Federation is such a monolithic polity it'll be impossible to leave once you're in one. One of us, one of us.

A fun option would be to have them go rogue and go take over a nearby system or two and create a new nation out of that.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
As a means for smaller empires to band together and preventing you from completely mobbing them it does sound useful. As something the player could use effectivly... I'm not so sure since the AIs motivations and priorities would be fairly difficult to determine when compaired to say another human player. Having your diplomacy and means of defence pulled away from you could also cause problems since being left out to dry on times of a crisis or suprise would really suck.

I do like it slightly better by them having something like Emperor of the Fading Suns where each faction has their own fleet but there's also a shared 'federaton fleet' that the current leader had direct control over. At least that way you weren't totally defenseless and at the whim of whatever the computer decided it wanted to do.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 22, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I do like it slightly better if by them having something like Emperor of the Fading Suns where each faction has their own fleet but there's also a shared 'federaton fleet' that the current leader had direct control over. At least that way you weren't totally defenseless and at the whim of whatever the computer decided it wanted to do.
I do not see anywhere saying that the member nations do not have their own fleets also, just that there is a combined fleet that the President controls.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bort Bortles posted:

I do not see anywhere saying that the member nations do not have their own fleets also, just that there is a combined fleet that the President controls.

Akward typo from replying on my phone.

I did mean to say that by having both a shared fleet and individual fleets it leaves each member in a position to defend themselves as well as flex their muscles, instead of someone taking off with all the ships to do as they please while you get eaten. At least that way you aren't left open to attack by someone you can't reason with outside the game if thr AIs in charge and also can't be exploited as easily by human players by simply getting into a war and leaving a nation you dont like without a fleet to fight back until you feel like stepping in.

Does make me wonder if you can also build ships using the shared tech for yourself or if only the shared fleet benefits. From the questions here it does seem like there are a lot more details to fill in.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Arrath posted:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think it is best to think of a Federation Navy as being like a retinue in CK2 - it is a standing army independent of levies, except in this case it is only accessible to the leader.

So maybe more like the Varangian Guard?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

If there was it wouldn't be allowed on the PDox forums.

Hah

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/700641904493359104

I love Paradox games.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well that's no fun.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Arrath posted:

Well that's no fun.
The game should take some more inspiration from sci-fi and make the game rebel against the player if they attempt certain actions. "I'm sorry, your Space Imperial Highness, we can't let you do that."

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Does this coalition of interstellar states only have barely more than a dozen warships between them?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Allied planets has one planet, their name is a bit optimistic I guess.
It sounds like as a player a federation will be a pain due to the rotating presidency and total lack of control when not president, but they'll be great for minor powers to band together. Wonder if they'll form in response to the player conquering too much near them sort of like a coalition in EU4.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Does this coalition of interstellar states only have barely more than a dozen warships between them?

It looks that way. Although they also all only have one planet each so the tiny fleet seems about right. It's a starter federation.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It looks that way. Although they also all only have one planet each so the tiny fleet seems about right. It's a starter federation.

Also looks to be right on game start, assuming 2200 is the starting date. Probably a screenshot taken just to show off the Federation interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The game should take some more inspiration from sci-fi and make the game rebel against the player if they attempt certain actions. "I'm sorry, your Space Imperial Highness, we can't let you do that."

Well, maybe not quite to that degree but I think it's an intriguing idea. Like with a Federation, that isn't just a little treaty you sign saying "yeah I'll maybe help you out in a war", it's some fairly in depth integration of societies and administrative functions. Breaking away from that seems like it should be a little troublesome, causing problems with the government for a while, maybe triggering some loyalist groups that want to stay in the Federation, that kinda thing.

As the next step up from alliances there should be more issues and consequences that you have to consider before joining up. Is the threat of that Evil Space Empire big enough to want to start integrating myself into this greater political being? Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

https://youtu.be/4hdiuRMK3UQ

Aand I realize I don't quite know how to embed video when phone posting, poo poo.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 22, 2016