Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord Chumley posted:

Learn Karin she's fun and people get mad at her laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ZbH_FBofA

I admit the ojou laugh is probably about 10-20% of why I want to play her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

nothing to worry about, it's kind of an open secret that gief doesn't swing that way

In Japan the gay stereotype isn't effeminate boys that look like girls it's literally zangiefs

Like they don't see twinks as the dominant gay stereotype it's bears. Btw did I mention zangiefs theme is LITERALLY bears

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

i get mad when slayer throws me and goes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ whatcha gonna do? thanks for reading

The best in this game is R. Mika's EX command throw - Mika throws you so hard she falls over, but then when she sees Nadeshiko land the assist she's all ヽ(`□´)ノ

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I put Ryu as the beginner character in the OP cause he has a simple reversal to understand that's easy to input. It's easy to get blown up throwing out YOLO reversals and I figured it'd be a good lesson to learn.

But if Chun is considered a good learning character despite the charge moves I'll add her in.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

zangief can lariat through Denjin Hadoken

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Agoat posted:

I put Ryu as the beginner character in the OP cause he has a simple reversal to understand that's easy to input. It's easy to get blown up throwing out YOLO reversals and I figured it'd be a good lesson to learn.

But if Chun is considered a good learning character despite the charge moves I'll add her in.

you get to learn that lesson as chun by spending a bar each time

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

interrodactyl posted:

there's a good reason why novril was cast out from the anime fg community and it's because he's bad at games and a terrible person

the dsp of the anime fg community

wtf

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Zaa Boogie posted:

Novril is at his best when making funny stuff but as soon as he actually talks about fighting games seriously you find out he has a lot of words and not a lot of thought.

thats cool because his tutorials are whats constantly regurgitated to anyone wanting to get into gg

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

you get to learn that lesson as chun by spending a bar each time

Yeah, never thought about it that hard. I'll add her in.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

thats cool because his tutorials are whats constantly regurgitated to anyone wanting to get into gg

it's hard to gently caress those up when they're like the most basic rundowns of characters and concepts

ol' tilty mcburstslam pomp could tell you anything in those videos

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
would your venom video just be a video stating DONT PLAY THIS CHARACTER HES BAD

coincidentally you could also make the same video for sf5 and make it apply to everybody except maybe chun

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

General Morden posted:

He's got balls

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Pomp posted:

it's hard to gently caress those up when they're like the most basic rundowns of characters and concepts

ol' tilty mcburstslam pomp could tell you anything in those videos

imo it's cool to have a consalidate resource for how to play character instead of trawling through pages and pages of dustloop fourm posts

idk why the wiki for +R is so undeveloped for most characters, there are wiki's for poverty as gently caress fightcade games with 200% the effort

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

General Morden posted:

coincidentally you could also make the same video for sf5 and make it apply to everybody except maybe chun

my venom video would be 10 minutes of me flubbing fino setups before giving up and introducing the audience to their friend k ball

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Fereydun posted:

nobody really wants to accept that the game sucks because if it does they have to be forced to this poo poo for another 10 years + it still has new game shine making it fun
if everyone says the game sucks and it tanks then its another dark age bc capcom is eternally seeking to get out of the fg business

I love these posts.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

A.o.D. posted:

have you tried blocking?

It's minus 1 on block, and has a 7 frame start up. If you find a birdie that likes to spam st. mp, you can just do a standing fierce (claw on only) and it should eat it. No crush counter, though. If you don't think you have the range, a stand mk will beat it by one frame on block. Both options are very safe if Birdie blocks them. Whiffing the stand hp could lead to a bad time, so be careful.

spend some time in the lab and figure things out.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

I love these posts.
i aim to please

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I think Zangief and R Mika are the most heroic characters because they just have wrestling training and they still go out there to fight people who can throw fireballs.

Is there a looping gif of Gief's vacuum yet?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Lhet posted:

Anybody know what circuitboard I need to buy to have a proper PS4 fightstick? I'm seeing conflicting information on some of them (PS4 listed on one page/missing on another page, something about 8 minute timeout, things about lag, etc).

Brook's got a board that should work well - they're the ones who make the converters (which also work very well) and they've been pretty on-point with pushing updates every time Sony fucks with compatibility.

If you want to avoid any possible 8-minute issues entirely, you'll probably have to go with a retail madcatz stick - as far as I know they're the only ones that Sony won't be loving with.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Hydrocodone posted:

I think Zangief and R Mika are the most heroic characters because they just have wrestling training and they still go out there to fight people who can throw fireballs.

Birdie, the most heroic character.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hydrocodone posted:

Gief can make his hand catch fire though. Well he used to be able to. I guess he forgot while he was learning how to turn red.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Birdie, the most heroic character.

He has comfort food.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Regarding beginner-chat, Necalli is a really simple but complete character, IMO. Easy combos, good damage, has anti-fireball stuff, has a real-rear end DP, a real-rear end command grab, a uniquely good overhead, forces you to learn at least a tiny bit about charge, and an extremely uncomplicated v-trigger. I would actually recommend him over Ryu because you can probably get a functioning offense up and going a lot faster with him than with Ryu who requires figuring out some nuanced poo poo to start finding real pressure and damage conversions.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 23, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Hydrocodone posted:

Zangief can turn his skin into iron and absorb fireballs with his face. He is terrifying.

R. Mika I buy though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Mika cheats by calling in her partner in a one on one fight, probably when the ref's back is turned.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Benson Cunningham posted:

Zangief can turn his skin into iron and absorb fireballs with his face. He is terrifying.

R. Mika I buy though.

Mika has that tag-team sniper ready to jump in, that's scarier t han fireballs and stuff

(I just got sniped on this post, proves the point)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Zangief is capable of a full-body erection

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

signalnoise posted:

Zangief is capable of a full-body erection

That is the secret of muscle spirit.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Andarel posted:

That is the secret of muscle spirit.

MUSCLE POWER FOR YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Hydrocodone posted:

After your match, a caster crushes your DS4 in their powerful hands to assure a desync.

Don't call them "casters". Jesus christ.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Foodahn posted:

Don't call them "casters". Jesus christ.

Broadcaster? Announcer? I wasn't sure what gave them the appropriate respect, by which I mean a middling level of it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

god that empty quote makes me seem like a jerk.

Anyhow, I just did some labbing and all of those work as described. V-skill (not reversal or trigger) is also a reasonable option when done with reversal timing.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Any Vega players here? I know I don't have a good wake up and that I pretty much just have to make the read just wondering if I could get some nuanced advice. Also what do I use Barcelona attack for? Wake up shenanigans?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

JackDarko posted:

Any Vega players here? I know I don't have a good wake up and that I pretty much just have to make the read just wondering if I could get some nuanced advice. Also what do I use Barcelona attack for? Wake up shenanigans?

Raw barcelona attack is a good way to identify yourself as a bad player. However, if you do an immediate EX barcelona on a knockdown in the corner, you put your opponent in some very, very difficult to avoid shenanigans that most anti air options do not work against. This includes your typical invulnerable shoryu type reversals.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Randomly decided to do another one of these:

Differences from my day 1 list:

Cammy dropped - I think I overrated her at first, her pressure is less safe than I thought. Still strong though.
Necall and Dhalsim went up a lot - Definitely didn't recognize how good these guys are until I fought some good ones. Ridiculous.
Ken went up slightly - I always thought he was pretty good but now I think he's just about as good as Ryu, about halfway up the pack.
Zangief went down slightly - I definitely think he's viable but the more I see the more I feel like he loses to all the top tiers.

Thoughts?

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 23, 2016

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Yay SFV.

Necalli is proving difficult to work with. Having a hell of a hard time getting around all the mediums and jabs people throw out. It wasn't so hard at first, blocking and punishing wild things people did, but going up against the 10-20k or so rank range is putting me up against people who actually mix blocking, teching and using those safer buttons. I find myself unable to come up with any consistent type of pressure that doesn't lose out, or I employ the wrong one at the wrong time. Punishing dumb unsafe things isn't so often a thing anymore. Throws are telegraphed and tech'd, command grab is often beaten, and on my problems go. My match-up knowledge is naturally limited as well, so being the one on block is also a tough (though necessary) experience.

Sometimes a guy just mashes out DP in case I drop any of my combos, which happens with unsettling frequency. Not really a training mode thing, more of a real match brain, muscle and internet trouble thing. He is better than I've been playing him though, for sure. I don't know about him being top tier material, but I don't think he's on the lower side of things. His strengths appear to be capitalizing on crush counters a bit more than the others, and I don't think that's something players are going to easily give opportunities for as they get better. His damage is simplistic, though the big combos are real fun to perform. Very honest, at least I think that's the term, as I can't really find too many tricky set-ups other than changing the strength of haka stomp to catch a blocking opponent from going on the offensive a little too early.

His weak range on normals is his short coming, and finding ways around that requires utilizing some basic tools that I have zero proficiency in. I'm working on that, and think maybe more light kicks and dashes (both back and forward) will help. That kind of range is strange to me, standing in normals range but outside grab, yet it seems to be where his light kick reaches. I'm enjoying learning and the character in general, at least until Alex hits, and also beginning to care less and less about my quickly draining LP/rank. It may actually be better for me to swap a character who is more reliable with footsies in order to learn that kind of game aspect better, but I don't like giving up on the character specific things I've so far learned.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Help Im Alive posted:

I have goggles cammy and I'm very happy about it

knowing capcom cammy chun-li, and ryu's costumes or any others that are out there will be available for purchase - in march.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jmcrofts posted:

Randomly decided to do another one of these:

Differences from my day 1 list:

Cammy dropped - I think I overrated her at first, her pressure is less safe than I thought. Still strong though.
Necall and Dhalsim went up a lot - Definitely didn't recognize how good these guys are until I fought some good ones. Ridiculous.
Ken went up slightly - I always thought he was pretty good but now I think he's just about as good as Ryu, about halfway up the pack.
Zangief went down slightly - I definitely think he's viable but the more I see the more I feel like he loses to all the top tiers.

Thoughts?

Yeah I was wondering about Ken actually. In Daigo's stream he and the usual suspects among Japanese high level play said that Ken and Ryu are equal. I was just wondering what people are discovering about the character especially since first impressions weren't exactly great.