Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Whenever somebody brings up New Guardians, I think of Cry for Justice and that creepy panel where Gloss gets killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: wrong thread

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 21, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least fridging Harbinger paved way for Forerunner, greatest character ever.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yo, EM, wrong thread.

e: To contribute something, here's a mission briefing from X-Force before they became X-Statix.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 21, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I was wondering if there was actually something unbelievable about those for a bit.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

graybook posted:

I was wondering if there was actually something unbelievable about those for a bit.

STAH: Newspaper comics continue to exist.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Yo, EM, wrong thread.
Oops, sorry. At least I misposted into a comic-related thread this time! :v:

For content, remember Spawn? It's been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread, but for some reason the ending of the series popped into my mind today.

See, by the end of the series the war between Heaven and Hell manifested on Earth via God and Satan being born as twins to Wanda, Al Simmon's ex-wife. They were constantly killing each other and coming back until things escalated to God and Satan finally engaging in TRUE FORM battles that ended up killing everyone on the planet.

I don't remember the details, but Spawn managed to trap God and Satan on an alternate empty planet where they could smackdown for all eternity on top of bringing all the humans back to life (with full memories of what happened).

But that's not the dumbest part.

The dumbest part is when, as a reward, Spawn gets all his memories from his living days back.

In the beginning of the series, Simmons was angsting because Wanda married his best friend and they had a kid, and back when Simmons was alive he and Wanda were trying (and failing) to conceive.

But when he got his memories back; he remembered that he did get Wanda pregnant. But he was actually an abusive husband, and when Wanda told him she was pregnant, he punched her in the stomach so hard she miscarried because he apparently didn't actually want a kid.

And that was how the series ended. It turns out that our hero was actually a wife-beating prick the whole time! So he returns to the alleys to be a homeless nobody once again, and presumably a large chunk of humanity goes insane due to the whole aware-of-own-death-and-resurrection-plus-God-and-Satan-exist-and-don't-care thing.

The end!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Darthemed posted:

Yo, EM, wrong thread.

e: To contribute something, here's a mission briefing from X-Force before they became X-Statix.

X-Statix was a treasure. :allears:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Choco1980 posted:

I always felt bad for Harbinger and Pariah. They were cool designed characters that just plain had zero interesting about them outside of the context of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Yeah, Pariah could've been a really interesting character to explore more beyond the original Crisis. At least Harbinger got to show up again periodically before her fridging...it's just she showed up in really loving stupid series.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, Pariah could've been a really interesting character to explore more beyond the original Crisis.
If it's in a way that frees him from being the multiversal Bearer of Bad News then maybe that could work. Trying to live after being witness to untold numbers of cosmic deaths would be interesting.

Or even a Quantum Leap style anthology where nothing he does saves anything.

If it's just as the signal that poo poo's going down (as with Red Skies) then we'd probably get real tired of that fast.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

FilthyImp posted:

If it's in a way that frees him from being the multiversal Bearer of Bad News then maybe that could work. Trying to live after being witness to untold numbers of cosmic deaths would be interesting.

Or even a Quantum Leap style anthology where nothing he does saves anything.

I would legit buy every issue of either of those series.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
And I could totally see a subplot of a character or characters who come under the misguided belief that ending Pariah's existence would prevent cosmic cataclysm and try to fight him heavily. Of course his latent invulnerability would cause problems with that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

wtb issue with Pariah looking in the mirror and exclaiming "I'm retarded?"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Keep him this forlorn Wandering Cosmic Jew figure, condemned to witness the greatest disasters—unwelcome in all places, thought by some to cause the troubles he's cursed to move toward.

Then some TEEN TITANS find out about him and get together to follow Pariah around, trying to either solve everything he finds or at least, you know, cheer the guy up. Even the metaphysically cursed could use a friend, guys!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've been watching The Flash and now I'm really in the mood to hear about the ridiculous poo poo speedsters have been getting into. Like Flash beating teleportation in a race.

Guy A. Person posted:

There was an issue where he had to race a god alien from the far end of the universe back to earth when the alien could just teleport there. The solution was to use some loophole where they got everyone on earth to run so Flash could absorb their speed (including all the other super fast heroes) and then some other super fast alien still lent him the speed of his entire superfast planet. So Flash outraced instant teleportation across the entire universe.

Anyone got anything good like that?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Related poo poo that actually happened: A pretty amazing song, albeit with inaccurate characterization, about the Flash.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

There was the issue of Quasar where the Runner (one of the Elders of the Universe) held a race from the earth to the moon.

It was won by a guy in a ragged red-and-gold outfit who had lost his memory but thought his name was something like "Buried Alien."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Barry didn't just win, he ran the entire race as everyone else was about to cross the finish line.

The Flash is really loving fast. Smallville did it well.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 23, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Barry didn't just win, he ran the entire race as everyone else was about to cross the finish line.

The Flash is really loving fast.

Quicksilver got owned hard in Avengers/JLA.

And I'm okay with that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

prefect posted:

Quicksilver got owned hard in Avengers/JLA.

And I'm okay with that.

Why?

WickedHate posted:

The Flash is really loving fast.

What is Flash wearing and why?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Quicksilver has always been a dick. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, but he's always some degree of jerk.

RareAcumen posted:

What is Flash wearing and why?

Flash is wearing a device that stores Speed Force and allows him to run fast when he's not in the DC universe. Without that power source, he can't run faster than a normal guy. Those panels are from the Avengers-JLA crossover, and they definitely moved between the two universes. They might have been outside of them at some point, too.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Flash clowning on Quicksilver chat, right after I was reminded about Amalgam? Time for some 1990s DC vs. Marvel pages!

<Quicksilver> ooooh my precious mutant angst ooooh dear ooooh
<Flash> haha eat poo poo at lightspeed hairdo man

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Quasar one is always my favorite example.

The Flash is so drat fast that when his company's competitor decided to have a race of all its fastest beings, they put him in there and had him make them all look like poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Squizzle posted:

Flash clowning on Quicksilver chat, right after I was reminded about Amalgam? Time for some 1990s DC vs. Marvel pages!

<Quicksilver> ooooh my precious mutant angst ooooh dear ooooh
<Flash> haha eat poo poo at lightspeed hairdo man

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I also liked Aquaman clowning on Namor in Marvel Vs. DC

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Then he dropped an orca on Namor. :allears:

A couple of the voter-decided bouts obviously made Marz (who wrote that issue) go "idk how that could, I mean it's not—oh whatever" and just script "THEN THE FIGHT ENDS". Silver Surfer vs. Green Lantern, and Wolverine vs. Lobo: both terrible page-wastes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how they retconned it that Professor X bribed Lobo to take a fall because that actually makes more sense than what happened.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I like how they retconned it that Professor X bribed Lobo to take a fall because that actually makes more sense than what happened.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Robin vs Jubilee was kinda cute. I can't remember who won in Superman vs Hulk, that's the one that most feels like a metaphysical argument rather than a fight.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

I can't remember who won in Superman vs Hulk, that's the one that most feels like a metaphysical argument rather than a fight.

Superman just laser visioned him unconscious. I was super disappointed in that one as a kid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, this Superman is so handsome and his hair is like, Weird Al Yankovic level great, what the gently caress happened?!

Skwirl posted:

I can't remember who won in Superman vs Hulk, that's the one that most feels like a metaphysical argument rather than a fight.

WickedHate posted:

Superman just laser visioned him unconscious. I was super disappointed in that one as a kid.

What the gently caress, that almost sounded interesting. And worst of all it makes it sound like Cyclops possibly could stop the Hulk.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Robin vs Jubilee was kinda cute. I can't remember who won in Superman vs Hulk, that's the one that most feels like a metaphysical argument rather than a fight.

Superman vs. Hulk wasn't written as a fight so much as an effort to make sure the fewest people possible wrote letters screeching in unpunctuated longhand that one or the other character got chumped, this fight was bullshit, you don't know this character good enough, [homophobic slurs], the ~*real~* Hulk/Superman would never be so flimsy and womannish, why do you hate this great character, [brusque but evocative descriptions of recipient's mother's sex life], [unsolicited opinions about Israel???].

But yes, Robin vs. Jubilee was a cute, very in-character little match and way obviously a prelude to one of the two characters introducing the other to second base.

Captain Marvel vs. Thor was at least clever if not actually great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RareAcumen posted:

Holy poo poo, this Superman is so handsome and his hair is like, Weird Al Yankovic level great, what the gently caress happened?!

The 90s Supermullet is the best. It showed up in a BTAS adaption before the Superman cartoon came out, along with 90s Luthor:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Squizzle posted:

Then he dropped an orca on Namor. :allears:

A couple of the voter-decided bouts obviously made Marz (who wrote that issue) go "idk how that could, I mean it's not—oh whatever" and just script "THEN THE FIGHT ENDS". Silver Surfer vs. Green Lantern, and Wolverine vs. Lobo: both terrible page-wastes.

See also the Superboy vs. Spider-Man fight.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

What the gently caress, that almost sounded interesting. And worst of all it makes it sound like Cyclops possibly could stop the Hulk.

Makes sense, Havok knocked out the Hulk by absorbing his gamma rays and then refocusing it into a powerful blast.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RareAcumen posted:

Cyclops doesn't have laser vision though.
:goonsay:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Actually, if I recall, and I don't want to grab the comics to scan them. Hulk started off, using a statue of Supes to beat down Metallo. They both punched him out, got teleported to their, "battle ground"

He blasted Hulk with heat vision, "Oh. You looked too tough for a dose of heat vision to take you out."
Then they just started punching each other. Superman out punched Hulk (Eh. It was Banner-Hulk.)

Superman claimed he could finally take off the kid gloves to do it, though.

Not even a fly around the world punch, or a punch him into space.. they just kinda slug it out, toe to toe.

edit: found it.

PicklePants fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 23, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Cyclops doesn't have laser vision though.
:goonsay:

Well that's news to me. Also, I never thought of Venom as that strong.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

RZApublican posted:

See also the Superboy vs. Spider-Man fight.

That at least had some back-and-forth, and showed how things resolved. Here's page two of the Lantern/Surfer fight:

And here's how the Lobo/Wolverine fight ends (after all the excitement of the two gritting teeth at each other, one hit, and Wolverine explaining his factor as the damage reverses itself in the space of a panel):

Since the whole point was to show all these characters slapping each other across company lines, that's some shameful, lazy work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RareAcumen posted:

Well that's news to me. Also, I never thought of Venom as that strong.

He's not, that comic was insane.

• Locked thread