Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I just finished talking with someone who's a SC supporter about their decision, and they were telling me quite a bit about how it's right there with Elite:Dangerous in terms of development when I brought up the troubled development of this game.

I was understanding that Elite: Dangerous is at least an actual functioning space game with things to do in it... but apparently this is not the case and it is instead a buggy unfinished piece of poo poo where missions don't work correctly and lots of things need reworking? I feel like I've heard otherwise in this thread before, so I'm asking if this is the case or not I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

alphabettitouretti posted:

Credit to the Crobber, he has managed to attract the most gullible people. They almost seem proud of being fleeced.

The reason those patch notes are so long is because they've pointlessly broken down every change into multiple bullets.

- they took each change
- and added loads of random bullets
- they serve no purpose
- except to
- make it seem like
- there are loads of
- updates
- buy more jpegs, idiots
- having lengthy patch notes is nothing to do
- with Elite
- which has extremely extensive patch notes
- and shart shitizen has been previously mocked for having tiny
- patch notes

I've written things for patch notes before and these are hilarious by comparison. They have about 7 or 8 bullet points worth of changes and got 4 pages out of it

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We did it, everyone!

Reddit thinks we're worse than Stormfront!

:lol::lol::yarg:

Dowlphin hates us too now.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Dolvak being booted from the mod roster in /r/starcitizen makes me positively giddy.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I did a thing instead of working on any of the stuff I need to do.

Realistic physics and explosions! (planetary landing coming soon we swear)

Party system working as intended.

Immersion!

Fidelity!

I apologize for the post of giant gifs.

Duckaerobics fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 23, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lastdancer posted:

I just finished talking with someone who's a SC supporter about their decision, and they were telling me quite a bit about how it's right there with Elite:Dangerous in terms of development when I brought up the troubled development of this game.

I was understanding that Elite: Dangerous is at least an actual functioning space game with things to do in it... but apparently this is not the case and it is instead a buggy unfinished piece of poo poo where missions don't work correctly and lots of things need reworking? I feel like I've heard otherwise in this thread before, so I'm asking if this is the case or not I guess.

I haven't played since before horizons but E:D has always worked fine it's just boring. I want to play horizons but I cba to drag out my joystick and stuff to play it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There's a mission in Elite where you go and meet an NPC in another system and they just don't loving bother turning up

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Reading over the changelog it looks like it was written by a complete moron.

quote:

There are three new icons on the player visor HUD while in Crusader.
An icon will appear in the top-left of your screen when you are in Monitored space.
This icon looks like a satellite sending off little signals.
To the right of Monitored Space, there is an icon to indicate when you are in an Armistice Zone.
This icon looks like a bullet with a line through it.
To the right of the Armistice Zone icon, an icon will appear if you are a wanted criminal.
This icon looks like a shooting range target, with a border that will become incrementally more orange with each Criminal level.

7 different changelog entries to explain a single new feature

quote:

Game Systems:
Your efforts repairing Comm Arrays in Crusader have not gone unnoticed by Crusader Industries!

Why is this in a changelog?

etc,etc I quit reading after that because it's trash

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

can't wait to find out if B'tak will be thrilled by this new system or if it somehow isn't nearly safe-spacey enough.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6394950/#Comment_6394950

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Lastdancer posted:

If you want to play as CMDR SSJ7_Mal_Reynolds, hard-luck freetrader and loyal member of the federation, doing whatever he can to keep his ship flying, then you're poo poo out of luck. The aspects of the game that are tuned towards "canon" role-playing (Missions, powerplay) are poorly designed where they function at all, but everyone, including the devs, freely admits they're garbage and the devs have promised a rework sometime this year.

If you want to drive a spaceship or a moonbuggy around and shoot dudes in space, it's loving amazing, if pretty shallow

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

What's happened to this fuckwits jaunty text formatting?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Just a random thought...how in the gently caress does something so basic as enabling the SM launcher button make it past internal QA?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah I'm calling shenanigans, it's an imposter.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just a random thought...how in the gently caress does something so basic as enabling the SM launcher button make it past internal QA?

What QA? They use reddit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

aleksendr posted:

Getting scanned for contraband by AI in Elite :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1sWklyxHPs&t=22s

For those unfamiliar with E:D : The player get scanned by AI police ship (incoming on the left side) but ram it inside the station (thus interrupting the scan, it need 10 seconds to complete) The police Ai is too dumb to fly out of the station by itself (it programmed to fly around the station, not dock with it) so the station AI register it as "loitering" and apply the death penality to its own security force. .

Pff. Look at those game systems being designed and then just let fly. What hacks.

Lastdancer posted:

There have been a fair number of mission bugs. A really fun one was when they introduced mission chains and made no concession in the UI for the possibility that you were in the right place at the wrong time: the mission is active, you the “decline” button isn't there to get out of the mission select screen, but you might go in there without having all the key items needed to make the “complete” button light up… so you're stuck in UI and has to quit the game to progress.

The scripting can be a bit wonky at times, too and doesn't always do a good job of explaining itself. Sometimes NPCs don't show up… maybe. But you can't be sure because of the many different ways NPCs exist in the world. He may be there, but hidden in a space anomaly. He may be there, but flying in supercruise on the other side of the system. He may be there, but has actually completed his scripted run and is now docked in a station — he may reappear in 15 minutes, but you don't know that because you don't even know where to look. But a lot of that is actually having the right equipment and being in the right system when the game expects you to. So after waiting for an hour with the wrong equipment, 15 minutes later than you're supposed to be there, it will definitely look buggy to the player.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

How they decide what to emphasize and how they choose to emphasize it is a mystery beyond human comprehension :iiam:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Lastdancer posted:

Steam say i have 18.3 hours played in Erectile: Dysfunction and i have yet to find any gameplay bugs or crash a single time to desktop. I only have the base game so maybe Horizon has additionnal problems i cant tell about.

Maybe they are basing their impression on the game when it was still in its 1.1-1.2 days, where they had only 8 type of ship hulls and little mission variety. As for unfinished a lot of people say the "powerplay" mechanism is missing "something" they cant yet put their fingers on and that PVP could use some balancing (but thats a neverending issue in all existing game, forever, as even white has to play first in chess.)

Some people say a few mission types are "buggy", mainly those involving the transfer of cargo or information with timed contacts in space but i have yet to see one of those fail for me. Maybe they need to pay attention to the briefing, radar, com channels, watch the clock and if the mission tell you "You will be contacted about the delivery point after a certain time", bring a simple wake scanner so you can follow your contact to the point in question.

Its a great, specific genre game, but since it exist in playable form it cant be the game of dreams anymore.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6394205/#Comment_6394205

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tippis posted:

The scripting can be a bit wonky at times, too and doesn't always do a good job of explaining itself. Sometimes NPCs don't show up… maybe. But you can't be sure because of the many different ways NPCs exist in the world. He may be there, but hidden in a space anomaly. He may be there, but flying in supercruise on the other side of the system. He may be there, but has actually completed his scripted run and is now docked in a station — he may reappear in 15 minutes, but you don't know that because you don't even know where to look. But a lot of that is actually having the right equipment and being in the right system when the game expects you to. So after waiting for an hour with the wrong equipment, 15 minutes later than you're supposed to be there, it will definitely look buggy to the player.
Didn't Frontier say they're using the Nav Beacons to give players more specific details about missions in system in a coming update? So instead of flying around hoping for a random encounter, now you can check with the nav beacon and know where the party is located?

If so, a nice improvement. It does suck on a time sensitive mission to be flying around hoping you'll run into that NPC who you're supposed to drop out of super cruise and talk with, or chase down and blow up or whatever.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Personally, I think I think, I think, I think, me thinks.....

edit: At least, that's what I think

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Well, it turns out we were wrong. CIG proved us completely wrong. :(

The inevitable consequence of piracy isn't rape. It's being sent TO YOUR ROOM, DON'T SLAM THAT DOOR EITHER

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

G0RF posted:

Didn't Frontier say they're using the Nav Beacons to give players more specific details about missions in system in a coming update? So instead of flying around hoping for a random encounter, now you can check with the nav beacon and know where the party is located?

If so, a nice improvement. It does suck on a time sensitive mission to be flying around hoping you'll run into that NPC who you're supposed to drop out of super cruise and talk with, or chase down and blow up or whatever.

Yes, they did announce a re-work of missions for the upcoming modules customisation patch. Here are the details :

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/385

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TTerrible posted:

Well, it turns out we were wrong. CIG proved us completely wrong. :(

The inevitable consequence of piracy isn't rape. It's being sent TO YOUR ROOM, DON'T SLAM THAT DOOR EITHER

The Stimpire disapproves of this decision.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

:lol::lol::lol: at everything in that P.S. with the grand total of 5 downvotes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Duckaerobics posted:

I apologize for the post of giant gifs.

NP, they still look small on my 4k monitor. :smuggo:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This guy doesn't get something and I only really understood it after playing Elite for a while.
You can have a real 1:1 scale size galaxy if you want, the fact of the matter is you go into OMG WARP DRIVE and are teleported as far as you like to imagine.
Space is so loving big you can't do it any other way, technically or realistically.
So it doesn't matter if you think you've travelled a million light years or 500 meters, in game all you have done is waited for warp drive to happen.
In Elite, I never ever feel like I have gone anywhere - I just feel like I've spent some time watching a warp screen for a bit.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

lmao

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

drat Dirty Ape posted:

:lol::lol::lol: at everything in that P.S. with the grand total of 5 downvotes.

13 now :smug:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

This guy doesn't get something and I only really understood it after playing Elite for a while.
You can have a real 1:1 scale size galaxy if you want, the fact of the matter is you go into OMG WARP DRIVE and are teleported as far as you like to imagine.
Space is so loving big you can't do it any other way, technically or realistically.
So it doesn't matter if you think you've travelled a million light years or 500 meters, in game all you have done is waited for warp drive to happen.
In Elite, I never ever feel like I have gone anywhere - I just feel like I've spent some time watching a warp screen for a bit.

I agree with him. Elite would be much more immersive if that warp tunnel-y screen lasted 100x as long. As a nice side bonus, nobody can attack you while in warp so you don't have to worry about those awful other players. It would also give me time to rearrange my cargo with grabby hands and sweep all of the space dust out of my hallways.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

aleksendr posted:

Ok, i have to ask :

Why cheese ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6bqNm9b4e4

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I agree with him. Elite would be much more immersive if that warp tunnel-y screen lasted 100x as long. As a nice side bonus, nobody can attack you while in warp so you don't have to worry about those awful other players. It would also give me time to rearrange my cargo with grabby hands and sweep all of the space dust out of my hallways.

Now you put it like that I agree commando

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

drat Dirty Ape posted:

While doing your housekeeping, you discover me in a crate hiding out. Would you welcome me aboard with a firm handshake so we could experience the verse together?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

While doing your housekeeping, you discover me in a crate hiding out. Would you welcome me aboard with a firm handshake so we could experience the verse together?

The correct response would to instantly go into a T pose and then float away stuttering

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Did give me a chuckle. Someone needs to do Roberts on a horse in some steeplechase event.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

• Hello friends
  • We have added
  • A new feature
  • When you click a button
  • A light will turn on
  • It is a yellow light
  • It makes the room brighter
  • By activating the button again
  • The light will turn off
  • You will no longer see the light
  • The room will be made darker
  • Hitting the button again
  • Will reactivate the light
  • Causing the room to illuminate
  • Once again
  • The light will remain yellow
  • The button can be identified
  • As a button on the wall
  • It is square
  • With a blue circle in the middle
  • Activate it by using the use function
  • Activating it will turn on, or off, the light

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

The correct response would to instantly go into a T pose and then float away stuttering

I think B'Taks reaction would be to pull his computer's power cord out of the wall and hide under his desk in a fetal position.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

• Hello friends
  • We have added
  • A new feature
  • When you click a button
  • A light will turn on
  • It is a yellow light
  • It makes the room brighter
  • By activating the button again
  • The light will turn off
  • You will no longer see the light
  • The room will be made darker
  • Hitting the button again
  • Will reactivate the light
  • Causing the room to illuminate
  • Once again
  • The light will remain yellow
  • The button can be identified
  • As a button on the wall
  • It is square
  • With a blue circle in the middle
  • Activate it by using the use function
  • Activating it will turn on, or off, the light

wall of patch notes crits goons and derek smart for massive damage :smuggo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Oh good god, now I have to buy a Hawaiian shirt.

• Locked thread