Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9hotonic
Jan 29, 2016

(after hearing the library has games , i arrive at the front desk, disguised as a non-gamer)

"er.. im here for some.. book's"

John Lee posted:

I thought this one could actually get pretty hard at times! The bosses seemed a bit easier, but the dungeons themselves could be hell, although you can pick your own difficulty to some extent.

Protip: Cubone is AMAZING, he learns Bonemerang, which is a 10 range attack that hits twice. I haven't seen any other direct attack moves that hit more than four spaces away*.

*Okay, technically Hyper Beam causes a 3x3 explosion at point of impact, but still.

actually yeah I have to admit, they really bumped up the difficulty of the dungeons, I'd be hosed if they're weren't such an abundance of tiny reviver seeds. I'm happy they let you buff your health using oran berries like they let you use apples to buff your stomach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
New ToME DLC has dropped: http://store.steampowered.com/app/404250/
Anyone played it?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Marcus Garvey posted:

Does anyone happen to have any of the old Gearhead 1/2 community mods laying around? I remember one in particular for GH2 that added a huge variety of variants and things, like a tanky combat haiho.

The Gearhead forums are almost completely logged on the internet archive. Same with the wiki. You might be able to get the links from there. They're also great for finding out what does what if you're too lazy to read the in-game manual. If you can find it post it here, because I want to try that out.

Also I totally forgot to upload an up to date version of the Gearhead 1 roguelike. Whoops. I'll try to get it uploaded later on today. At least I already got a link for the updated version of Gearhead 2 up! :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 23, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

crossposting a question I had from another thread:

why isn't we there an actual genre term for roguelikes?

mario clone -> platformer
doom clone -> FPS
dota clone -> MOBA
diablo clone -> ARPG

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
All of those describe the type of games they are pretty clearly. Like a FPS is a first person shooter. And that is its like big element. Roguelikes have like a few big elements really and there isn't a niffty term to describe all of those elements besides Roguelikes.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

doom clone -> FPS
dota clone -> MOBA
diablo clone -> ARPG

Because "roguelike" works fine? There's no term that singularly encapsulates what that really means and inventing one would be foolish at this point.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
PDL, or "Procedural Death Labyrinth" :v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Captain Foo posted:

doom clone -> FPS
dota clone -> MOBA
diablo clone -> ARPG

Marketing/Commercial reasons. For a while after DOOM came out, fps' where literally called "DOOM-clones". But if you're releasing a new product onto the market, you don't want to be reinforcing a competitor's brand, so you need a more generic name. (MOBA is the absolutely worst of these, it describes literally anything multiplayer, but Riot needed a new name). Rogue itself is small and free, as where all it's successors for a while, so the name stuck.

Related: Xeroxing. Xerox was very happy with that adaptation and did nothing to discourage the verb even when using it's competitor's hardware.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Captain Foo posted:

doom clone -> FPS
dota clone -> MOBA
diablo clone -> ARPG

i'd argue that diablo clone is still in use, though possibly i'm out of date on that.

anyway, i'd say it's something of a historical accident. The genre lasted for so long 'underground', without big mainstream commercial success (though there've been a few commercial titles here and there) that there was no pressure to come up with a more neutral/marketable term; by the time it finally became even halfway 'mainstream' (with the roguelites of the last few years), the name had stuck. (Whereas FPSes and platformers became popular much faster.) e: or, exactly what serephina said

also funny that none of the games named were actually the progenitors of their respective genres, with the arguable exception of rogue itself.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Roguelike is pretty awful, but I'll take it over 'shmup', since 'shooter' came to mean fps, not japanese arcade 2d flying shootgame.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
BTW, thanks to whoever brought up Pathos. Been having some fun, and that interface works amazingly well!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Foo posted:

doom clone -> FPS
dota clone -> MOBA
diablo clone -> ARPG

Because 1SPTRPG would be too tedious to write.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
2nding that, the Pathos for Windows PC works really nicely after you press Alt+Enter to run it in a window to access all the options on the left. I still can't figure out how to [d]rink a fountain though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PBS Newshour posted:

All of those describe the type of games they are pretty clearly. Like a FPS is a first person shooter. And that is its like big element. Roguelikes have like a few big elements really and there isn't a niffty term to describe all of those elements besides Roguelikes.

FPS is the only one of those three that unambigiously describes the genre it's supposed to represent, though. Nearly every multiplayer game involves online battle in an arena, and there are plenty of actiony rpgs that play nothing like Diablo. (Plus there are games where you play a role that aren't "RPGs".)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
RDM

randomly death matters

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've tried to categorize my Steam games by genre a couple times before giving up. What category does something like Skyrim fall into? It's more of an action game than an RPG, but on the other hand its not an ARPG because that describes stuff like Diablo and Path Of Exile. And Dota is fairly similar to ARPG games despite being a completely different genre.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've tried to categorize my Steam games by genre a couple times before giving up. What category does something like Skyrim fall into? It's more of an action game than an RPG, but on the other hand its not an ARPG because that describes stuff like Diablo and Path Of Exile. And Dota is fairly similar to ARPG games despite being a completely different genre.

Skyrim would be an open-world game or a first person brawler (i.e. Dark Messiah, Chivalry, etc), right?

Also, I think PGRPG (or Procedurally Generated Role Playing Game) could work as a generic term for roguelikes, though it's a little clunkier than "roguelike."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I said it as a joke but I actually do like Procedural Death Labyrinth

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

TOME looks much better with the OldRPG tileset and UI installed. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I am off to go die another needless death because I have to open every door and explore every cave.

Whoa, this is a sweet tile set. I've always disliked tome's tiles but I never looks for alternates!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

IronicDongz posted:

PDL, or "Procedural Death Labyrinth" :v:

It's this. This is the appropriate genre name :colbert:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just bought ToME. What should I know going into it that lots of Crawl/DoD/Shiren hasn't taught me?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

doom clone -> FPS
dota clone -> MOBA
diablo clone -> ARPG

Funny thing is, Diablo 1 was originally a graphical Rogue-Like! They switched it to real time at some point in development, but it was originally entirly turn based. I think they we're going for a Dungeons Of Dredmor kind of idea, make Rogue-likes more accessible.

As for a generic term for Rogue-likes, I donno it depends on how general you want to be. You could just say "turn based tile games", but that's longer than Rogue-Like :shrug:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Notorious QIG posted:

I just bought ToME. What should I know going into it that lots of Crawl/DoD/Shiren hasn't taught me?

check the goon thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604865

also, edit the file that unlocks all the classes/whatever for you, there's literally no reason to have them blocked off the way they are

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Serephina posted:

Related: Xeroxing. Xerox was very happy with that adaptation and did nothing to discourage the verb even when using it's competitor's hardware.
This is 100% untrue and for awhile they even had ads that said "Don't Xerox it, copy it" or something similar. Brands 100% do not want their trademarks/copyrights/branding to become common usage because it then loses all value to them for marketing (on top of the fact they can literally lose the use of the term if it becomes too general usage). If you can "Xerox" on an HP or whatever, why would you care about getting the actual Xerox?

That said, Diablo-like and Dota-like were commonly used for awhile.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Notorious QIG posted:

First, lots of classes and features in ToME are hidden behind unlocks. Use a mod http://te4.org/games/addons/tome/ignore-raceclass-locks or .ini file edit (check my post history) to bypass them.

For broad, philosophical differences: compared to the games you mentioned, ToME's philosophy is to give the player outrageously powerful tools, hordes of weak enemies to use them on, and occasional rare or boss monsters that use (many of) the same skills and abilities available to players.

Dying to attrition is much more unlikely than in Crawl, but instead what usually kills you are bursts of massive damage (compensated for early game by stacking +life items, and lategame with resists and class-specific damage mitigation abilities) and status effects (compensated for with wild infusions, which remove a single status effect with some limited control over what kind gets removed, and later on by achieving 100% immunity to the worst ones via gear.)

There's no food clock, no identification game, no consumables, and abilities are all governed by cooldowns (and also by resource management, but for most classes this just prevents you from fighting indefinitely without needing to teleport away and/or recharge yourself somehow).

The starter quest for most classes sends you to two of the tier 1 / starter areas and then sends you straight to the tier 2 dungeons. However, there are a total of six starter dungeons, and if you don't feel totally confident against the threats you're facing already, you may wish to do all of them. Even if you don't do every single one it's a good idea to start with Trollmire and Norgos's Lair because they usually only have melee enemies. (The exception is if they spawn with their alternate layouts -- Trollmire can be a swamp instead of a forest, and Norgos's Lair sometimes has ice elementals which means it's the alternate.)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Johnny Joestar posted:

check the goon thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604865

also, edit the file that unlocks all the classes/whatever for you, there's literally no reason to have them blocked off the way they are

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

First, lots of classes and features in ToME are hidden behind unlocks. Use a mod http://te4.org/games/addons/tome/ignore-raceclass-locks or .ini file edit (check my post history) to bypass them.

For broad, philosophical differences: compared to the games you mentioned, ToME's philosophy is to give the player outrageously powerful tools, hordes of weak enemies to use them on, and occasional rare or boss monsters that use (many of) the same skills and abilities available to players.

Dying to attrition is much more unlikely than in Crawl, but instead what usually kills you are bursts of massive damage (compensated for early game by stacking +life items, and lategame with resists and class-specific damage mitigation abilities) and status effects (compensated for with wild infusions, which remove a single status effect with some limited control over what kind gets removed, and later on by achieving 100% immunity to the worst ones via gear.)

There's no food clock, no identification game, no consumables, and abilities are all governed by cooldowns (and also by resource management, but for most classes this just prevents you from fighting indefinitely without needing to teleport away and/or recharge yourself somehow).

The starter quest for most classes sends you to two of the tier 1 / starter areas and then sends you straight to the tier 2 dungeons. However, there are a total of six starter dungeons, and if you don't feel totally confident against the threats you're facing already, you may wish to do all of them. Even if you don't do every single one it's a good idea to start with Trollmire and Norgos's Lair because they usually only have melee enemies. (The exception is if they spawn with their alternate layouts -- Trollmire can be a swamp instead of a forest, and Norgos's Lair sometimes has ice elementals which means it's the alternate.)

Oh hey didn't realize there was a thread for this, thanks. Also that's a lot of useful info. I probably won't bother to unlock the .ini file, at least not yet, but it's good to know that it's easy to do.

Also no food clock? Yessssss

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tome has A LOT of classes and races locked away until arbitrary unlock conditions are met, and the unfortunate part of that is that the ones unlocked from the start tend to be super boring. and, really, the wide variety of classes/whatever is one of the draws of the game.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

Archonex posted:

The Gearhead forums are almost completely logged on the internet archive. Same with the wiki. You might be able to get the links from there. They're also great for finding out what does what if you're too lazy to read the in-game manual. If you can find it post it here, because I want to try that out.

Also I totally forgot to upload an up to date version of the Gearhead 1 roguelike. Whoops. I'll try to get it uploaded later on today. At least I already got a link for the updated version of Gearhead 2 up! :v:

I managed to track it down, but it was hosted on rapidshare.

http://web.archive.org/web/20101225141047/http://www.gearheadrpg.com/forum/index.php/topic,1200.15.html

Marcus Garvey fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 24, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Look what is coming to Steam

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I've bought that game so many times when I've lost my info over the years, so having it on steam would be nice.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I can't wait to see the Steam reviews this game spawns.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Cool, it passed greenlight a while ago. I was wondering when it would actually hit the store.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Fell out of a tree and broke my legs and got ate by a bear

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Isaac posted:

Fell out of a tree and broke my legs and got ate by a bear

My least glamorous death was getting waylaid by bandits, trying to run away and getting shot in the back because one of them had a bow.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Paid for it when I was just out of high school, and I'm 35 now. He sent me a steam beta key last week. :unsmith:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My least glamorous death was getting waylaid by bandits, trying to run away and getting shot in the back because one of them had a bow.

Ive got a few hundred deaths in the first 5 turns of the slave start by something in my back i recko

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looks like Armoured Commander 2 may end up playing rather differently...

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Armored Qudmander

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
What the hevk do i do in gearhead if i have a mech with no weapons. Where do you get mech weapons outside killing mechs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looks like Armoured Commander 2 may end up playing rather differently...

Looking forward to embarking on a glacier as a challenge run.