Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You should have more than one character
- Peter "Combofiend" Rosas

He's probably said something like that, and if so, I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Sade posted:

X is fun and has nice-feeling buttons. X has a tool for nearly any situation
This describes no character in the game

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

cams posted:

yes i'm playing the worst character in the game you are playing the best.

just join the shadowloo army, friend. :smug:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If you think the character sucks stop playing her.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Sade posted:

She is fun and has nice-feeling buttons. She has a tool for nearly any situation

What game are you playing?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Brosnan posted:

Ya'll never heard about fuckin' relativity?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you think "your" character sucks or is bad, I'm sorry to say but it's most likely you. Each character in this game is amazing 🤗 #SFV

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Did another tutorial - this one's kind of for the newer players but hopefully some of you guys get something out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO-NZ09Ve-Q

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

Oi, grade on a curve.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Faffel posted:

Ya'll never heard about fuckin' relativity?
no, see you judge characters in one fighting game against characters from other games, not the same one. because we're loving idiots, apparently.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Brosnan posted:

Probably Street Fighter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

Did another tutorial - this one's kind of for the newer players but hopefully some of you guys get something out of it.

nice. if you do a bonus vid on this one could you work throws into the mix?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Getting disconnected from the server on Hard mode Survival when on round 48 with full health and having finally gotten past the bullshit level 42 Laura that anti-airs everything...Feels so bad man.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Would one of those USB MAME 6 or 8 button + joystick controllers be good for this? I've been thinking about getting one anyway so I can get really angry while playing Joust and if it worked great for SF5 that'd be a big bonus. tia

cams
Mar 28, 2003

found a good claw, we ran about 35 matches right now. i think i gave birdie and bison too much credit in the laura matchup. those characters at least have a few things that laura can anticipate and take advantage of. claw beats laura 7-3 at worst. she can't punish any of his normals, slide beats anything she whiffs, she's can't pressure him with normals at all, and the command grab is worthless since claw has no reason not to at least mash jab whenever she gets in.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

FrankieGoes posted:

Would one of those USB MAME 6 or 8 button + joystick controllers be good for this? I've been thinking about getting one anyway so I can get really angry while playing Joust and if it worked great for SF5 that'd be a big bonus. tia

Unless it uses xinput, it won't work well at the moment.

An xbox 360 or xbox one stick should work though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I'm learning Ryu and I'm having a difficult time actually getting in to do some damage. I'm following those videos posted in the old OP pretty strongly, with Ryu's cross up combo and stuff like that, but I can never seem to make it work without someone countering my jump in. How do I be more offensive with Ryu?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Puzzle Thing
Dec 12, 2006
Your life is as steak!

quaunaut posted:

What is Karin's ideal against fireballs? Her V skill seems so pathetically incapable at blocking them, because you absolutely must be at range and have near zero reaction time.

Beyond the standard walking and block, and well timed jumps she has:

-V-Skill
- EX sappo
- The orochi follow-up to sappo
- V-Trigger: During V-trigger her rekkas negate projectiles
- HP ressenha

I figured out the series from a combo video, but I haven't seen this mid-screen combo posted anywhere, so might as well:

Karin, mid-screen, 1 bar:
cr.MP , st.MP xx JFL xx L.mujin , EX tenko (299 dmg, 430 stun)

The timing on the EX tenko can be a little tricky just because there's a smallish window to hit the right spot. To soon and you won't reach, too late and the body will hit the ground.

Puzzle Thing fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 24, 2016

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Goodpart posted:

This describes no character in the game

It describes Chun-Li, in this game. Gomen nasai!!!!

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Sade posted:

Yeah that 11f stand hp is straight up overpowered! *gets counterhit by anyone willing to stand between max HP range and c.mk and hit buttons buffered into specials*

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Jmcrofts posted:

I love the addition of crush counters as it makes it easier to punish people for doing stupid stuff.

I also love FADC's being gone.

Now I just gotta stop doing stupid stuff because SF4 gave me bad habits. Whenever I do random canon drills, I need someone to slap me on the back of my head until I stop.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Objectively speaking her buttons aren't great, but relatively speaking 5mk and 5hp are the best pokes in the game

I will accept back any previous games 5mp or 5hp in exchange for everyone else getting better hitboxes though

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

No other silly random art post is going to beat this one.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 24, 2016

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Yeah that 11f stand hp is straight up overpowered! *gets counterhit by anyone willing to stand between max HP range and c.mk and hit buttons buffered into specials*

Please quote the post of mine where I called anything of Chun's "overpowered" rather than "solid and fun."

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ugh I am finally starting to play ranked and its just about 1/3 matches are ragequits. Almost always pc users too I guess the urge to alt+f4 is too great :(

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Verisimilidude posted:

So I'm learning Ryu and I'm having a difficult time actually getting in to do some damage. I'm following those videos posted in the old OP pretty strongly, with Ryu's cross up combo and stuff like that, but I can never seem to make it work without someone countering my jump in. How do I be more offensive with Ryu?

It's not going to be any one thing. Here is fundamentally a way to approach Street Fighter: move close to your opponent via dashing from far/walking when closer than half screen and see what they do. You don't have to predict what someone does with this strategy as they will likely do one of about 3 things: Move close to you as well, in which case they are engaging "honestly" and this includes throwing a fireball or something. Move away until cornered. Or jump/dash at you asap, this would include specials like R.Mika drop kick. All 3 require some adaptation but the key is to be comfortable blocking and waiting, you can often bait someone to jump just by standing close to them and blocking a fireball or two or a sequence of attacks. Use that strategy to get a life lead then watch as most low level players absolutely crumble hitting bad buttons or continuing to jump. There is of course quite a lot of nuance here, but that is why people endlessly practice these games.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Sade posted:

I would take SFXT Chun SF4 Chun 3S Chun and ST Chun any day over SF5 Chun

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Ungh, I cannot even begin to do anything with Necalli. I just stand there and use pokes with zero range.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pomp posted:

Objectively speaking her buttons aren't great, but relatively speaking 5mk and 5hp are the best pokes in the game

I will accept back any previous games 5mp or 5hp in exchange for everyone else getting better hitboxes though

f+MP is a better poke and all of us should get used to using it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Goodpart posted:

Agreed but relatively speaking she still rules this poo poo pile

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

f+MP is a better poke and all of us should get used to using it.

Well what's so great about it?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Well what's so great about it?

Better hitbox, similar range, even on block so you can ACTUALLY press buttons after doing it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dias posted:

Better hitbox, similar range, even on block so you can ACTUALLY press buttons after doing it.

Interesting. Guess I'll try to remind myself to use it more.

[edit] Also, I made it to bronze :toot: Now the question is if I can manage to stay there :ohdear:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why can't pokes be plus on block I don't get it

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Otherwise they ain't pokes, they pressure.
We can't have that.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Goodpart posted:

Maybe this hasn't occurred yet, but this is not any of those games. This is a different game than all of those, except for SFV. That is the game which I was talking about. Not any of the other ones. This one.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Lhet posted:

Ungh, I cannot even begin to do anything with Necalli. I just stand there and use pokes with zero range.

It is pure hell being one of (the?) weakest footsie person in this game, but god drat if you ever land his big combo after a standing HK crush counter? I imagine that's what sex feels like.

Which would explain why I get so excited that I end up squandering opportunities to do it most the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008