Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

Just a quick word on sippy cups. Around here it has been found that many models (mostly the Tommee tippee, but any model that feature a similar anti-drip system) is a huge health hazard.

I've always made a point of not buying any sippy cup or straw cup that can't be completely taken apart for cleaning. These are awesome, and extremely spill-proof.

But I totally see how this can happen. A while back I was away from home a lot over a two week period. I returned to find my daughters favourite straw cup covered in slime inside, because it hadn't remotely occured to my husband that he had to wash a cup that was used solely for water. I had to explain that yeah, we put only water into it, but every time she drinks from it, she puts tiny bits of food and crap from her mouth into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

The sippy cup thing is a real problem. I would say a lot of parents do not take them apart completely when they wash them. They just take the lid off and put it in the dishwasher whole thinking that will get the job done. I can't tell you how many times I sent moldy sippy cups home when I worked in a childcare center where kids brought them in. I would always inspect them before filling them and sent a moldy one home at least once a week. These were clean cups brought in daily. There are other reasons not to use them, but the mold is a really good one. Our 22 month old drinks from mugs or the take and toss straw cups. We started him out on shot glass sized cups with just a tiny bit of water when he started on solids. You really don't need sippy cups. They are a parental convenience, not a developmental milestone. Honestly, I find the convenience of him being able to drink from anything when we go out outweighs the little bit of water spilled every so often.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hell, my water bottles will get mold if I don't disassemble and wash them thoroughly and those are, like, 3 pieces that are pretty open, I will never understand why people sell/purchase things that are functionally impossible to clean.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My son took forever to learn how to even use a sippy.

However, these sippy cups did the trick. They take a bit of learning how to twist and click it sealed properly but they only have three parts and are completely leak proof. If dropped with force, they may leak a bit but I'm fine with that.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009
My daughter still doesn't know how to use a sippy cup by herself - she always brought it to us to hold and tip for her - but she's getting pretty good with regular cups. Still spills down her front occasionally, but the bigger spills vome when she forgets she's holding it and doesn't keep it level. I think the sensation of the water reaching her mouth as she tips it worked better for her with the open cup.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

The sippy cup thing is a real problem. I would say a lot of parents do not take them apart completely when they wash them. They just take the lid off and put it in the dishwasher whole thinking that will get the job done. I can't tell you how many times I sent moldy sippy cups home when I worked in a childcare center where kids brought them in. I would always inspect them before filling them and sent a moldy one home at least once a week. These were clean cups brought in daily. There are other reasons not to use them, but the mold is a really good one. Our 22 month old drinks from mugs or the take and toss straw cups. We started him out on shot glass sized cups with just a tiny bit of water when he started on solids. You really don't need sippy cups. They are a parental convenience, not a developmental milestone. Honestly, I find the convenience of him being able to drink from anything when we go out outweighs the little bit of water spilled every so often.

And in the case of the ones I mentionned, taking it apart completely before washing it is not enough. You literally cannot open up that piece and since it's designed to keep stuff from dripping, it's not really possible to flush it of all liquid/dry it. Like in the picture I posted, you can only see the mold because she sawed off the anti-drip in half.

I don't even understand how those model can legally be sold, especially when there are ways to make sippy cups that are at least possible to clean.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I give my son a normal plastic cup usually but sometimes he decides to be an rear end in a top hat and pour it out on the table and spread it around with his hands.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah... that... every single time!!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
The two-year-old will say "oh NO, Daddy!" immediately before he purposefully spills his cup across the table. Sometimes I'm able to catch him in time.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Groke posted:

The two-year-old will say "oh NO, Daddy!" immediately before he purposefully spills his cup across the table. Sometimes I'm able to catch him in time.

Heh, at two that can still fall into the cute category though. At least the first few times, it does wear off.

One of the things we've been trying to get our 4 y/o to understand for a while now, is that silly things that make us laugh can do so a few times, but they do expire. Having the same silly voice/response/etc repeated 29 times in a row while we try to get him to eat is the perfect road to frustration town. Then I remember the laughing fits I would get when I was a kid and feel sorry for my mom, then the idea of karma comes to mind.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How does a baby's understanding of language develop in relation to her speech skills?

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Honestly, I find the convenience of him being able to drink from anything when we go out outweighs the little bit of water spilled every so often.

This. Neither of my daughters have ever used sippy cups. My youngest still spills water now and again, but only because she absolutely loves this:

greatn posted:

I give my son a normal plastic cup usually but sometimes he decides to be an rear end in a top hat and pour it out on the table and spread it around with his hands.

She's also decided that she does not need to wear a nappy anymore. So she keeps taking it off. Again and again and again. We're talking 10-12 times at day. I don't know what to do. I have explained that she's allowed to have it off as long as she's sitting in the potty, but the moment I turn around she stands up and starts running around. I was just starting to get used to not having to watch them 24/7 :(

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

hooah posted:

How does a baby's understanding of language develop in relation to her speech skills?

Varies widely. Some babies/toddlers are pretty taciturn but clearly understand much more than they're able or willing to express, others are chatterboxes (all of mine have been), etc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hooah posted:

No idea but our 18 month old understands us perfectly well but doesn't talk for poo poo. Although she finally did say her first kind of sentence... "If I only had a brainnnnn" from the Wizard of Oz (her literal favorite thing on earth at the moment). But it came off kind of "fowwwwwlllllnlyhaddabainnnnn". So drat cute.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Groke posted:

Mine is possibly switching to a regular cup soonish, he's 12 months now, but he prefers drinking out of cups to bottles and loves practicing in the bath and can actually handle it pretty well already.

But he is totally going to be doing this and the dump out the cup on the table to push around the water thing, so I don't see him getting a regular cup unattended any time soon, hahah. Right now he seems content to just stick his fingers in the water between sips, but it's not gonna last.

General question: When did everyone's kids first start doing the "look at you with that look in their eyes immediately before doing something they know they aren't allowed to do" thing? Because mine is doing that all the time now and I wouldn't mind advice on what to do about it.

hooah posted:

Mine can't say much yet (he can sign that he wants something, that he wants MORE of something, and that he wants milk) but he can definitely understand a lot more than that, he just doesn't really have a need to say it himself.

Also teaching him to sign has been wonderful, because when he wants something he'll often start whining and wailing while we prepare it, but we can remind him to sign instead and he will settle for repeatedly, quietly, signing his desire the whole time we make his food/bottle/get his toy/whatever. Much better on the nerves.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 23, 2016

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

hooah posted:

They understand language way before they can speak. They can usually even communicate faster than they can make their mouth / vocal chords do their bidding, which is why you can teach them sign language and have them sign what they want/need before they can speak

We did this with our first, we didn't learn a lot of words, but he knew how to say things like: milk, water, hungry, more, tired, mom, dad, please, thank you. We couldn't have proper conversations as I've heard some parents are able to do, but these few words took a lot of guess work out of the equation.

Oh, we also learned to sign some songs and he would sign-sing along with us, that was awesomely cute.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
The whining. Holy fuckballs, the whining. I am losing my mind.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

:agreed: I find that a finger in each ear and going "lalalalalalalalalalalaaaaa" sorta works.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
"Pleeeeeeeease...." (repeat)

Actually all of our kids have picked up using the English word "please" for whining purposes. It's been in common use among older Norwegian kids as slang and it's percolated down through grade school into daycare culture and even the two-year-old (who's not in daycare yet) has picked it up from his big brothers. It's annoying as poo poo but what can you do?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Groke posted:

Actually all of our kids have picked up using the English word "please" for whining purposes. It's been in common use among older Norwegian kids as slang and it's percolated down through grade school into daycare culture and even the two-year-old (who's not in daycare yet) has picked it up from his big brothers. It's annoying as poo poo but what can you do?

Our 4 year old has started using "please" a bit too much. "Please dad, pleeeeease? Can I have my screen time now? Pleeease, I need it, I really need it, pleease?", all while doing a sad-puppy face and cuddling up to me. Until he sees it's not working and he stands up, frowns, stomps his foot on the ground and says "I'm going to tell MOM!" as he walks away.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our 18 month old just learned please (although it comes out "cheeeeeese") so it's super loving cute and she gets what she wants. Well I mean we don't spoil her... we're usually already in the middle of getting her something when she says "please" unnecessarily. But still... so cute.

And just today she was watching a car (a mail car with flashy lights) in my rear view mirror via her mirror by her car seat... when it turned a corner out of sight she went "where'd it go?" almost really clearly. Blew my mind.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Groke posted:

Whining with words I can deal with, no problem, it's the "eeeeeh eeeeeeh eeeeeeeh eh eh eh eeeeeeeeeeh" that drives me mental. That half-assed low-effort crying that basically just means "I'm vaguely dissatisfied with something, and I'm going to make this noise forever so that you'll share my pain". She's been doing it SO MUCH lately, about anything and everything. I'm making her walk instead of carrying her! Eeeeeeh eeeeeh eeeeh. I'm picking her up instead of letting her walk! Eeeeeeeh eeeeeeh eeeeeh. She wants something, but she doesn't know what! Eeeeeh eeeeeh eeeeeh. We're out of bananas! Eeeeeeh eeeeeh eeeeh. She wants me to make her porridge, but she wants me to watch her do a puzzle at the same time, but she doesn't want to do the puzzle in the kitchen! Eeeeeeh eeeeeh eeeeeh. :psyboom:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

Haha my two year old does this with everything he shouldn't do. "Going to spill it!" "Want to dump it out!" Oh no you aren't!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our 2.5 year old will try and hit or bite his older brother, and then when we stop him, he will whine, "but I want to bite him!" Very amusin, except for the whole potential psychopath thing.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Ok thread, knowledge/question/opinion time. My daughter is now 14 months, and I'm about to have a job again. we've never gotten our child to sleep any way other than nursing, while reading with her nana, or being bounced while I wear her in a carrier.

What are good ways to transition from those options to sleep on a bed, etc? She does put her head down on a pillow when she's tired but doesn't quite sleep on her own.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I dunno man. I work full time and I also co-sleep with our now 21 month old. I wish there was an easy way to get her out of my bed, but then I remember about walking up all those stairs when she cries, and... yeah.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

cailleask posted:

I dunno man. I work full time and I also co-sleep with our now 21 month old. I wish there was an easy way to get her out of my bed, but then I remember about walking up all those stairs when she cries, and... yeah.

I am also still cosleeping with/breastfeeding my 21 month old. We've tried transitioning to a toddler bed but logistically, it's just so much easier to keep her in the bed with us.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Ok thread, knowledge/question/opinion time. My daughter is now 14 months, and I'm about to have a job again. we've never gotten our child to sleep any way other than nursing, while reading with her nana, or being bounced while I wear her in a carrier.

What are good ways to transition from those options to sleep on a bed, etc? She does put her head down on a pillow when she's tired but doesn't quite sleep on her own.

This process is probably going to entail a fair bit of crying and protesting, so my only piece of advice is to look carefully at your reasons for wanting to change the current arrangement.
If you're doing it because you feel like you should, when really you're fine with it continuing, then it's going to be hell resisting the cries and sticking to your guns.
But if it's causing problems for you in the form of little/poor quality sleep, or takes a long time in the evening, or any other reason that causes you to really and honestly want to change things around so your daughter learns to go to sleep on her own, then go ahead, and when it gets hard, remind yourself of the reasons why this change has to happen.

My daughter absolutely refused to go to sleep on her own. We had to change things when nursing to sleep stopped being a quick and easy way of getting her to sleep, and started becoming a protracted, stressful affair where she woke up as soon as the boob was no longer in her mouth, and took ages to get settled. It made the evenings hell, and it was hard to get her back to sleep at night as well, which made everyone miserable. She was of course absolutely furious when her dad started putting her to bed with cuddles and, horror of horrors, no boob, and listening to her screaming for me was horrible, but I knew that we had to change things because they weren't working anymore, so that helped me to tough it out. If I hadn't genuinely wanted and needed to change the routine, I would've felt ten times worse and probably cracked and given in as soon as it was my turn to put her to bed.

Good luck, I hope it goes quickly and easily for you!

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You can do it, but it does take a concerted effort and it will involve crying no matter how you slice it because she is not going to be happy about it. It's okay for her to not be happy about it. I recommend the book Sleeping Through the Night by Jodi Mindell. She's a sleep psychologist at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia's Sleep Center and she explains how you have to help kids learn to fall asleep and then gives you a variety of ways to get there. What you are going to have to do is some form of sleep training. If you go with the 10 minute wait and check method (which Jodi says is the most effective), it should only take 3 days to teach her to fall asleep on her own and she should transfer that skill on her own to night wakings over the course of a week or so. That being said, your child could be the 5% who don't learn in 3 days and has problems with night wakings even with sleep training (oy, my child!). It took my very stubborn child 2 weeks to get to falling asleep on his own, but he's been great at that since. He still has trouble with night wakings though, even with sleep training for night wakings.

I will warn you that you will probably have a little regression when you go back to work. As long as you stay consistent with whatever training method you choose, that will pass and she'll get right back into routine. I would start the sleep training asap so she has a chance to get it down before the work transition. You can definitely do it, but you have to be committed and consisted. She will not like it, but will accept it shortly, and you'll all be better for it.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Are you concerned about at home or at her care provider?

I wouldn't change a thing at home; the transition of you going back to work will be stressful enough on everyone without adding more to it. Anecdotally, my younger son tends to need more night time parenting (nursing, snuggles) when we've been separated during the day.

If it's at her care provider that's a concern, I would wait to see how it goes. Those people tend to be pretty magical when it comes to sleep. My older kid hadn't taken a nap in a year when he went to preschool and happily lied down with his friends. Reading with her nana sounds like an awesome start anyway!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sockmuppet posted:

I feel you. My three year old is getting better now, because he can express himself very well - the whining only starts when he doesn't get what he wants. Unfortunately, he wants lots of things. Ice cream, chocolate, toys, his apple cut a certain way, (or NO I DON'T WANT THE APPLE CUT TODAY :psyduck:), and so on. I'm generally pretty patient and easygoing, but holy gently caress does he test that to the limit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have any advice for getting a onesie/shirt on a baby? Our 5-month-old got upset enough while we'd put her arms into a one-piece outfit, but she really doesn't like putting on clothes that don't close down the front. It also feels pretty awkward to pull it over her head since she can't sit up yet.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm gonna be a parent in 11 days :supaburn:

Funny enough, I figured I'd be losing my mind in anxiety and trying to make sure everything is ready but I'm really chill about it. I'd say that's partially thanks to this thread since reading other people's advice and issues helps me get a focus.

So yeah, I'm gonna be a dad in 11 days. I've just gotta fix the crib (part broke on the changing table) and hang the mobile and get curtains so he isn't up at the rear end crack of dawn and train the cat to stay the gently caress out of the crib. It doesn't seem too bad I guess.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm gonna be a parent in 11 days :supaburn:

Funny enough, I figured I'd be losing my mind in anxiety and trying to make sure everything is ready but I'm really chill about it. I'd say that's partially thanks to this thread since reading other people's advice and issues helps me get a focus.

So yeah, I'm gonna be a dad in 11 days. I've just gotta fix the crib (part broke on the changing table) and hang the mobile and get curtains so he isn't up at the rear end crack of dawn and train the cat to stay the gently caress out of the crib. It doesn't seem too bad I guess.

Congrats! But you probably won't use the crib/mobile/curtains etc for a quite a while so don't stress about that :).

Also, don't worry the stress and anxiety comes AFTER the baby is born!

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

hooah posted:

Does anyone have any advice for getting a onesie/shirt on a baby? Our 5-month-old got upset enough while we'd put her arms into a one-piece outfit, but she really doesn't like putting on clothes that don't close down the front. It also feels pretty awkward to pull it over her head since she can't sit up yet.

Hard to explain in words, but I'll try to explain how I do with our 4 month old. I get the onesie and roll it up so I there's only the collar whole in which I put all my fingers (like if I was catching a foot-ball) so the collar is stretched, then I put my hands near the top of her head while she's lying down, slide my palms behind her head, position the collar of the onesie on her head, make her smile and I do a "Peekaboo!" as I slide it down her head. Once there I roll up a sleeve, put my fingers through, grab her hand and pull the arm through; ditto the other side. Then slide the onesie down and finish up the job. All the while talking to her and making her smile so she doesn't break down crying.

Oh, also, there's knitted-bird mobil a hanging on the roof above her which she can't stop giggling at; that helps.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

get curtains so he isn't up at the rear end crack of dawn

This is actually a key bit of preparation. Making sure there is a clear difference between daytime and nighttime is really important to keeping infants from getting their days and nights mixed up, so that they get into the habit of taking the majority of their sleep at night. They've just spent nine months in a dark and relatively uniform environment, so they need the cues of daylight! people! noises! and darkness and quiet to sort out their sleeping schedule.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sullat posted:

Our 2.5 year old will try and hit or bite his older brother, and then when we stop him, he will whine, "but I want to bite him!" Very amusin, except for the whole potential psychopath thing.

Yeah our two year has been hitting and biting a lot and will announce his attentions and also say he wants to hit/bite us. Usually when he's mad that he didn't get what he wants. Its really frustrating.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah 2 years 8 months and he shouts out his attacks beforehand like a god drat anime character.

Rears back open palm... "HIT!" slaps you in the face. Given this telegraphing he gets me a surprising amount of the time.

Best when it is in complete sentences. "Daddy, I'm going to bite you now."

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Remember how I said I'd be a parent in 11 days? Yeah, we were admitted that day and he's sleeping beside my wife in his little bassinet thing.

There aren't words for being a father for the first time. I'm just in continual awe. I know it won't always be easy but it's so drat worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Irritated Goat posted:

Remember how I said I'd be a parent in 11 days? Yeah, we were admitted that day and he's sleeping beside my wife in his little bassinet thing.

There aren't words for being a father for the first time. I'm just in continual awe. I know it won't always be easy but it's so drat worth it.

Just remember that in a few days when you get baby poo poo on your hands and you haven't slept more than 6 hours in 2 days and every blanket has spit-up on it. It will get ugly, just keep your head up!

Congrats!