Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do I use uMatrix along side uBlock Origin/the built in tracking protection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do I use uMatrix along side uBlock Origin/the built in tracking protection?

With uBlock Origin and without Firefox native.

Firefox native tracking protection is the kind of overzealous disconnect.me joint that will break more social media stuff than just Facebook. By default. There's a scorched earth option.

Twitter is now apparently a legitimate source of news. You can see the problem here.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It's good to destroy facebook

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

No poo poo, but at least uMatrix has heard of nuance.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

With uBlock Origin and without Firefox native.

Firefox native tracking protection is the kind of overzealous disconnect.me joint that will break more social media stuff than just Facebook. By default. There's a scorched earth option.

Twitter is now apparently a legitimate source of news. You can see the problem here.

In this case do I still leave "Send Do Not Track Request" from the menu on?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

In this case do I still leave "Send Do Not Track Request" from the menu on?

Sure, maybe the handful of companies that honor do not track requests will acknowledge it while tracking by the entire rest of the Internet, which doesn't give a poo poo about those, will be blocked by the extension.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EFF's own Privacy Badger is a good replacement for Ghostery. You can set most 3rd party sites to yellow (allow connections but delete cookies) for a good medium between compatibility and avoiding cross-site tracking.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Khablam posted:

EFF's own Privacy Badger is a good replacement for Ghostery. You can set most 3rd party sites to yellow (allow connections but delete cookies) for a good medium between compatibility and avoiding cross-site tracking.

I use self destructing cookies, it does this and also deletes local store javascript things.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I had to get rid of Privacy Badger back in August, because it was behaving badly, preventing CSS from loading on various sites, and fun stuff like that.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Truga posted:

I use self destructing cookies, it does this and also deletes local store javascript things.

I use this too. The problem with it though is that adding sites to the whitelist overrides your other cookie settings. Like deleting after expiration and denying third-party ones. So if you whitelist a site that you use, that site can then set third party cookies.

I keep meaning to email the developer about this but I'm pretty lazy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fangs404 posted:

If you've exhausted that list, it might be a hardware problem. Have you ever run memtest before? Scanned your hard drive for bad sectors?

Finally had some time to run Memtest86+. I let it run overnight Monday, and Tuesday morning, it had gone through 8 cycles, with no errors, so my memory is still OK.

Windows did a boot time scan of the HDD not that long ago, because there was a power surge while I was at work, and it came back fine.

Firefox still crashing because it can, though not quite as frequently. If I've had it closed for a length of time (while I'm eating dinner, or after going to bed, going to work the next day, then coming home), it will crash shortly after I open it, and then it's good for a bit. I have it send a report every time it crashes.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try running Crystal Disk Info (portable edition ZIP), if it shows Caution for any drives, that indicates that drive is failing and will need to be replaced.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Alereon posted:

Try running Crystal Disk Info (portable edition ZIP), if it shows Caution for any drives, that indicates that drive is failing and will need to be replaced.

In addition to this, I'm a big fan of Steve Gibson's SpinRite. It's a tad pricey, but it's essentially a lifetime license and works as a hard drive maintenance tool as much as it does a recovery tool. It could definitely help out here.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Fangs404 posted:

In addition to this, I'm a big fan of Steve Gibson's SpinRite. It's a tad pricey, but it's essentially a lifetime license and works as a hard drive maintenance tool as much as it does a recovery tool. It could definitely help out here.
Unfortunately SpinRite is a scam, it doesn't actually do anything useful. All it does is a "surface scan" of the disk just like free tools like the built-in Windows CHKDSK utility, which does nothing on a drive that isn't failing, and on a failing drive will only accelerate failure and reduce the chance of recovering data. If you do feel the need to do a surface scan of a drive, you'll generally want to use the manufacturer's provided diagnostic utility, using SpinRite gives you no advantages over MHDD or Windows CHKDSK /R.

Steve Gibson is not highly regarded at all in the industry. He kind of reflects the bad old days of computing when anyone who knew enough to be dangerous could call themselves an "expert" and sell their services/products.

VVVV MHDD is free and makes a pretty display, color-coding sectors by access time.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 25, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I remember using SpinRite only to verify a drive was actually super hosed. Basically if a drive was in question we backed everything up, set it all up, then ran SpinRite on the old one because you could tell pretty quickly whether it was screwed or not. Not that useful but it gave us an out to basically take a picture of the results and go "Yeah, see all those red bits? That's bad, you need a new drive." Much more obvious than the standard chkdsk result, but only really useful to CYA.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

uMatrix is a pain in the butt. If you got time or aspergers, finding the one restriction that makes a page not render properly, while leaving the others in place, is probably fun. I don't have time to repeatedly play a game of mole-whacking just so embedded youtube-players show up. I've been using it for two days, and am already starting to switch it off completely on some pages. There needs to be some middle ground between this and Ghostery.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I downloaded uMatrix and yeah I don't have enough aspergers to get this set up.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Kheldarn posted:

Firefox still crashing because it can, though not quite as frequently. If I've had it closed for a length of time (while I'm eating dinner, or after going to bed, going to work the next day, then coming home), it will crash shortly after I open it, and then it's good for a bit. I have it send a report every time it crashes.

Go to about :crashes, and link some of the crash reports here. It could provide an idea of whether it's a plugin issue or something already known.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

I remember using SpinRite only to verify a drive was actually super hosed. Basically if a drive was in question we backed everything up, set it all up, then ran SpinRite on the old one because you could tell pretty quickly whether it was screwed or not. Not that useful but it gave us an out to basically take a picture of the results and go "Yeah, see all those red bits? That's bad, you need a new drive." Much more obvious than the standard chkdsk result, but only really useful to CYA.

That's a pretty expensive way of presenting the same information in a different format?
Spinrite is functionally chkdsk /r only it will re-try some insane number of times (2 or 3 thousand or something) and then it'll just write the average result and call it recovered. There are vanishingly few times that will ever be useful to anyone.

If the drive is still good, restore from backup.
If the drive isn't good, take the cost of a spinrite license and buy a new one. Then restore from backup.

It's literal only use is if you're billing by the hour and you can leave it running for 72 hours or something and claim you're 'doing recovery'.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Recently I've found that Firefox isn't going to the right spot on forum pages with lots of images.

Rather than the first unread post, it just goes wherever. It used to always reset itself after loading images, is there a way to force it to?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Recently I've found that Firefox isn't going to the right spot on forum pages with lots of images.

Rather than the first unread post, it just goes wherever. It used to always reset itself after loading images, is there a way to force it to?

It goes to the right spot, then another image starts loading and it moves it away. I think if you don't scroll at all it'll move to the right spot again after it finishes loading everything.

That said, just hit enter again on the address bar and it'll scroll to the correct # thing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's because of the fancy new webm and Twitter integration. Especially Twitter loads a bit later than when the page thinks it's done loading and makes the browser go to the correct point, so you get hosed up alignment.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Applebees posted:

Go to about :crashes, and link some of the crash reports here. It could provide an idea of whether it's a plugin issue or something already known.

Here's the three latest: 2/24/2016 5:07 PM, 2/24/2016 8:08 PM, 2/25/2016 5:53 PM.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Khablam posted:

That's a pretty expensive way of presenting the same information in a different format?
Spinrite is functionally chkdsk /r only it will re-try some insane number of times (2 or 3 thousand or something) and then it'll just write the average result and call it recovered. There are vanishingly few times that will ever be useful to anyone.

If the drive is still good, restore from backup.
If the drive isn't good, take the cost of a spinrite license and buy a new one. Then restore from backup.

It's literal only use is if you're billing by the hour and you can leave it running for 72 hours or something and claim you're 'doing recovery'.

I didn't pay for the license, that was my old boss. Decided it was the best way to do things. I argued all the points you made but in the end he decided it was the best way to go with it. Whatever, it basically meant I fixed a computer (We were a small time shop) and then the day before it was finished and finalised I ran SpinRite while doing other stuff. Like I said, I know it's completely useless but apparently the boss thought that was the way to go on it. There was only one actual computer set up with SpinRite, and we just plugged it into a caddy (I believe USB1.0 because he was too cheap to get decent ones) to run it.

Honestly, it wasn't terrible. It certainly wasn't a great system but it didn't take up any of our time while we did other things, and it did give a pretty report that actually did shut up a few customers who claimed their drives were fine. So iunno, it worked?

Edit: To make this about Firefox, is 64-bit standard yet? I think I'm still on 32. Any problems with uninstalling FF and installing 64 bit or should I wait a bit? I know it's "out" but I can't remember if it's gold.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 26, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

To make this about Firefox, is 64-bit standard yet? I think I'm still on 32. Any problems with uninstalling FF and installing 64 bit or should I wait a bit? I know it's "out" but I can't remember if it's gold.
I installed FFx64 on top of my old x86 install and it works without any issues.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

is there a way to enable WebRTC only on certain urls? I've got media.peerconnection.enabled set to false but there are some sites that rely on it.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Run this. https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/thankyou/ You have malware.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yup. The Windows 10 thread suggested using Magical Jelly Bean to find your Windows 7 key for upgrading to Windows 10 if you couldn't read the sticker on your case anymore. That installed OpenCandy. Thanks!

Also, I'd suggest adding Run Malwarebytes to the OP right after making sure you have the latest version of Firefox, and making sure all plugins are up to date.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Doesn't Windows 10 have some version of Microsoft Security Essentials Windows Defender so that you don't have to run other malware programs?

Also programs that install other poo poo make me so loving angry. Goddamn, every time it's an otherwise really useful program that suddenly decides to bundle itself with Seek Toolbar or some other piece of crap.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 26, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gorilla Salad posted:

Doesn't Windows 10 have some version of Microsoft Security Essentials Windows Defender so that you don't have to run other malware programs?

Yes.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

But it mostly catches actual viruses and real bad malware, so just run malwarebytes scan once a month.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MikusR posted:

But it mostly catches actual viruses and real bad malware, so just run malwarebytes scan once a month.

Doing that isn't going to accomplish anything.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

Yup. The Windows 10 thread suggested using Magical Jelly Bean to find your Windows 7 key for upgrading to Windows 10 if you couldn't read the sticker on your case anymore. That installed OpenCandy. Thanks!

Also, I'd suggest adding Run Malwarebytes to the OP right after making sure you have the latest version of Firefox, and making sure all plugins are up to date.

Reading up on OpenCandy, of course uTorrent has it. Oh and ImgBurn has it too now, awesome. Is there any software out there without lovely ad/malware?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This is why you always grab portable versions of programs whenever possible, also invest in Sandboxie, oh and don't give random installers internet access, block that poo poo with a firewall. Doesn't hurt to also not just blindly hit Next, Continue, Accept, Install, Whatever, when installing things.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

XYZ posted:

Reading up on OpenCandy, of course uTorrent has it. Oh and ImgBurn has it too now, awesome. Is there any software out there without lovely ad/malware?

uTorrent 2.2.1 or qBittorent.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yeah that's what got me to uninstall utorrent.

I even unleashed my inner curmudgeon and sent an angry email to them over it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I use Unchecky as an extra layer of protection against OpenCandy type crapware installing along with programs I want to use. Obviously still keep your eyes peeled while installing things, but it's great for keeping your parents' computer from filling up with toolbars and junk.

General question: Is e10s or going to fix Firefox being the literal worst at garbage collecting its memory? I'd like for it to not keep a gigabyte of wasted RAM for old poo poo I browsed a long time ago; especially when it still chugs pretty bad if using a lot of memory, even with 64-bits.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
On windows I tend to just use a Ninite installer

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Use ninite and don't blindly click through poo poo like a moron when you install something.

Edit: Hmm, well that is new and lovely.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cactus Jack posted:

Use ninite and don't blindly click through poo poo like a moron when you install something.

I don't click through like a moron, and I always look for a custom install option, and/or checkboxes. Magical Jelly Bean just installs it without saying a damned thing.