Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
What streamer should I watch to understand how to do something other than mad poke with zangief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

teagone posted:

I'm finally able to pull off Chun's instant air legs and combo from it, but I can only do it (semi-consistently) from the left side of the screen. My execution blows haha.

You just need to get your side pick game up

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Reznor posted:

What streamer should I watch to understand how to do something other than mad poke with zangief?

There's a high ranked gief streamer named Guttermagic that seems to be doing really well for himself, able to hold his own against the standard top tier guys like Alex Valle and such. I never watched him, but he seems like an alright dude and you might get some kind of idea from him.

Although I have to admit to watching Rico Suave play Necalli up to Gold rank, and I still don't understand a drat thing about how to improve mine at all. :shrug:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9WWmlBNQQ

This is a video of me being bad at videogames for about five matches.

Advice on how not to be bad at videogames would be appreciated greatly. I might do more if people are actually interested. (And actually fix my volume so you can hear me chatting about what I'm thinking while I play)

The big thing to note. The super comes out by accident almost every time.

I'm not specifically a Laura player so I'm unaware of her nuances, combos and blockstrings but here's what I saw.

In General
Learn a hitconfirm and blockstring combo from the same start. Even something simple like "Oh he blocked the low MK so I just do the motion but don't press the button for the special" could work. If hits, you press the button. You don't want to end combos that are blocked with unsafe moves.
Don't charge fireball so much, especially in neutral. Actually don't throw so many unsafe fireballs in general.
If you want to fireball, use it to control space. Opponents got a lot of free hits from seemingly random fireballs.
More tick throws. Don't think you used any that I recall, all were either after a clean elbow hit or from hitting into super.
You seem to almost always be approaching, unless you're blocking, which makes your approach very one dimensional.
I think you used quick get up 100% too. Vary your get ups a bit. Also, if you mash when you get up, you will get stuffed by meaties, which you can see in a lot of the games.
Block more.
Does she have a good V-Reversal? You might want to consider using it more often.

Vs Dhalsim
Don't fireball. He can slide/limb to hit you (second round) or teleport behind it (third round).
He also punishes you a lot for not blocking on wakeup.

Vs Karin
More fireballs, since she can only approach from the front. Don't toss them from poking range though, and release them quick.

Vs Ryu
Good job on the very clean anti-air. Does she have an anti-air normal for a jump in range that's closer/more awkward to handle?
Neutral jump more against fireballs, especially ones you jump late. You have 99 seconds to win, no rush.
10:58 you jumped in and attacked which was going to 100% whiff then got hit by an overhead. You might want to consider, at that range after landing, another jump forward (hard to AA besides neutral jump attack) or a neutral jump.
11:06 here you punish and then combo into grapple but you switch sides putting yourself in the corner. Notice how your immediate next move is to jump out of the corner. Your opponent didn't take advantage of that but a better player will.

Vs Bison
You got a Stun in the last round. Try to get into the habit of starting Stun combos with a jump in, just for that extra bit of damage.
Pressuring him a lot is correct, as Bison's weakest when trying to get people off him.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

Did another tutorial - this one's kind of for the newer players but hopefully some of you guys get something out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO-NZ09Ve-Q

Thanks for this, it's really useful. That said, as a total newbie, I think it might have been a good idea for the second wakeup action to be block and throw, since in my experience, it's a thing people like to do when you're expecting a wakeup DP. :v:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

well inbetween everyone constantly disconnecting on me, I done did up a birdie matchup chart. poo poo subject to change etc etc but I feel its accurate enough for the moment.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Evil Canadian posted:

well inbetween everyone constantly disconnecting on me, I done did up a birdie matchup chart. poo poo subject to change etc etc but I feel its accurate enough for the moment.

What makes the Zangief matchup so advantageous?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Artelier posted:

I'm not specifically a Laura player so I'm unaware of her nuances, combos and blockstrings but here's what I saw.

Firstly, thanks so much for the feedback. There are a couple of things that you might be missing because nobody plays Laura.

quote:

In General
Learn a hitconfirm and blockstring combo from the same start. Even something simple like "Oh he blocked the low MK so I just do the motion but don't press the button for the special" could work. If hits, you press the button. You don't want to end combos that are blocked with unsafe moves.

Cr. MK xx LP. Elbow is -2 on block so it's safe. Crucially it's just as safe as a pure Cr. MK which is also -2. I buffer the input so theoretically LP Elbow should come out every time. But Laura doesn't really have any hitconfirms that I've found to be effective. Theoretically LK, LK xx LP Elbow is a hitconfirm but I've never been able to do it reliably.

quote:

Don't charge fireball so much, especially in neutral. Actually don't throw so many unsafe fireballs in general.
If you want to fireball, use it to control space. Opponents got a lot of free hits from seemingly random fireballs.

I'm still trying to figure this out. I've never really played fireball characters in any game and so I'm trying to force out a jump to AA, but have no idea of what actually to do with the fireballs to make this happen.

quote:

More tick throws. Don't think you used any that I recall, all were either after a clean elbow hit or from hitting into super.

Yes

quote:

You seem to almost always be approaching, unless you're blocking, which makes your approach very one dimensional.
I think you used quick get up 100% too. Vary your get ups a bit. Also, if you mash when you get up, you will get stuffed by meaties, which you can see in a lot of the games.
Block more.
Does she have a good V-Reversal? You might want to consider using it more often.

The former (and the blocking stuff) is because I have a tendency to give up distance a tonne (I'm used to charging) so I'm currently overcompensating the other way. The middle is true and is a really bad habit that I haven't got around to dealing with yet. Her V-Reversal isn't amazing if I'm honest. It knocks the opponent fullscreen which is basically where you don't want them to be.

quote:

Vs Dhalsim
Don't fireball. He can slide/limb to hit you (second round) or teleport behind it (third round).
He also punishes you a lot for not blocking on wakeup.

Got it

quote:

Vs Karin
More fireballs, since she can only approach from the front. Don't toss them from poking range though, and release them quick.

This I don't get, every time I play Karin and fireball she just uses the dive attack on reaction and hits me. I literally said to myself "Don't fireball" ahead of the match because of this.

quote:

Vs Ryu
Good job on the very clean anti-air. Does she have an anti-air normal for a jump in range that's closer/more awkward to handle?

MP and MK, but they're not brilliant.

quote:

Neutral jump more against fireballs, especially ones you jump late. You have 99 seconds to win, no rush.
10:58 you jumped in and attacked which was going to 100% whiff then got hit by an overhead. You might want to consider, at that range after landing, another jump forward (hard to AA besides neutral jump attack) or a neutral jump.
11:06 here you punish and then combo into grapple but you switch sides putting yourself in the corner. Notice how your immediate next move is to jump out of the corner. Your opponent didn't take advantage of that but a better player will.

Vs Bison
You got a Stun in the last round. Try to get into the habit of starting Stun combos with a jump in, just for that extra bit of damage.
Pressuring him a lot is correct, as Bison's weakest when trying to get people off him.

All understood. The only thing is at 11:06, I noted the error myself and meant to do the Kick version of the grapple.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

What makes the Zangief matchup so advantageous?

Banana conquers Zangief in a way that would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

*ed*

That and Birdie just outright out-buttons him.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

i had a really fun round 2 in this match, mindgames own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srf35ndAQ20&t=110s

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Artelier posted:

Iirc the only non-counter confirm Laura has is c.lp/c.lk st.lk Bolt Charge.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Evil Canadian posted:

Banana conquers Zangief in a way that would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

*ed*

That and Birdie just outright out-buttons him.

I'd love some tips / banana setups if you ever get the time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cat Machine posted:

i had a really fun round 2 in this match, mindgames own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srf35ndAQ20&t=110s

I tried something like this on Foodahn's Necalli last night with my Chun during one of our sets, but he caught on after the second throw and I got rekt lmao.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Cr. MK xx LP. Elbow is -2 on block so it's safe. Crucially it's just as safe as a pure Cr. MK which is also -2. I buffer the input so theoretically LP Elbow should come out every time. But Laura doesn't really have any hitconfirms that I've found to be effective. Theoretically LK, LK xx LP Elbow is a hitconfirm but I've never been able to do it reliably.

Ah, I see. Well, even if they are both -2 on block, they also effect your positioning, as the elbow moves you forward and the crMK doesn't. It's something to consider, especially against characters that want to be next to you. Any of them could try to throw you right after the elbow, but not necesarily after the cMK.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm still trying to figure this out. I've never really played fireball characters in any game and so I'm trying to force out a jump to AA, but have no idea of what actually to do with the fireballs to make this happen.

Well, her fireball is sloooooow, so it's a "no-go" zone for the opponent. You want to stand in or around it to make it difficult for the opponent to approach, or plant it on top of them to force them to block and you can get in.

That said, I'm not sure how good (bad?) her fireballs are. It might be so bad that they're not worth considering.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This I don't get, every time I play Karin and fireball she just uses the dive attack on reaction and hits me. I literally said to myself "Don't fireball" ahead of the match because of this.

Actually, I said that without considering Laura's fireballs, which has a very slow, very obvious startup and now I can indeed see people just punishing you for it on reaction. I was thinking in terms of after a knockdown, you set it up quickly and then hang around "in" the fireball to stop her from approaching you so easily, especially since her normals are pretty good.

So...probably disregard the Karin more fireballs thing, which now sounds like a bad idea. Sorry!

PS - I forgot to mention, your mic is way too soft. I have no idea what you said throughout most of it.
PPS - Use more light attacks, I don't recall you using much of them. They're also good to set up tick throws.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Man, I really hope Makoto is a season 2 character.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

she'll have a walk speed of 0 and only be able to move with normals

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

we definitely need more slow-walking characters with command grabs

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

we definitely need more slow-walking characters with command grabs

Yeah, it'll push the number of slow-walking characters with command grabs to a whole two out of 23-28! :v:

More seriously: she only has one command grab, and she's fairly different from every character announced so far, so she'd make a good addition to the cast. Plus, she's cool.

Only downside is they'd almost certainly make Tanden Renki her V-trigger, and installs are pretty boring. They'd probably make her V-skill a focus attack, too, since it'd fit her fighting style.

Pomp posted:

she'll have a walk speed of 0 and only be able to move with normals

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 24, 2016

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Throw one or two fireballs, stand in a range where their jumpin would hit and then do a fake fireball by crouching and whiffing a st.lp and buffer dp. Same against Karin except don't even throw any fireballs.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I'd love some tips / banana setups if you ever get the time.

Well as for "banana setups" there isn't really any that isn't gimmicky to all get out. You should just be tossing it out there to own that part of the screen.

Now soda, there is some workable setups. Even baby basics of toss it, do something crazy, and if they attempt to punish they get whacked on the return and you can do whatever.

*ed*

teagone posted:

I'm finally able to pull off Chun's instant air legs and combo from it, but I can only do it (semi-consistently) from the left side of the screen. My execution blows haha.

Don't worry affects us all. I can do it now with 100% accuracy on p1 side, maybe half the time on p2 :(

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 24, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Quick aside from shop:

How is the netcode and all that stuff on the PC version? I keep buying fighting games on Steam and getting burned by the online experience. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but I have too much of this human disease called "hope"

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Any advice for Cammy combos? I'm doing pretty well with her, but I'm relying heavily on supers and a few choice chains that usually involve a Spiral Arrow or Hooligan. I'd like to be able to mix it up a little more if possible.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

Quick aside from shop:

How is the netcode and all that stuff on the PC version? I keep buying fighting games on Steam and getting burned by the online experience. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but I have too much of this human disease called "hope"

it's good on a perfect connection where neither of you have done anything the game doesn't like (there's quite a few of these) and straight unplayable if anything at all goes wrong with anything. It's also not unlikely that a match that seemed good on your end was a teleporting mess for the other guy. I'm not sure the people calling the netcode good have actually played with good rollback. You'll also hear some people say that a match that was unplayable in this would be as unplayable in delay based, but same state should never look like this on a stable connection, let alone when Skullgirls could handle me playing a loving Romanian with like one noticeable rollback every 10 games or so.

Play Xrd

Pomp fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 24, 2016

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
5 connection still leaves so much room for "and now the person warps across the screen". It's less than before, but it's hard to know kick range when the person was there at the start of the kick and wasn't 5 frames in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Quick aside from shop:

It works fine as long as you set a filter to only get matched with opponents with good ping, and crossplay with ps4 players has no problems outside of the ps4 version having slightly longer load times so unlike other pc fighting games you don't have to worry about it becoming a wasteland.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Artelier posted:

Ah, I see. Well, even if they are both -2 on block, they also effect your positioning, as the elbow moves you forward and the crMK doesn't. It's something to consider, especially against characters that want to be next to you. Any of them could try to throw you right after the elbow, but not necesarily after the cMK.

Fair, I struggle to hitconfirm Cr. MK into Elbow. I'm not sure if it's even possible? So given hitting and not having the combo go off against the downside of worse position on block, I'll choose the worse position on block.

quote:

Well, her fireball is sloooooow, so it's a "no-go" zone for the opponent. You want to stand in or around it to make it difficult for the opponent to approach, or plant it on top of them to force them to block and you can get in.

That said, I'm not sure how good (bad?) her fireballs are. It might be so bad that they're not worth considering.

They disappear if she gets hit so they're not great as cover if I'm honest. I try to use them to cover quickrises but that rarely works.

quote:

Actually, I said that without considering Laura's fireballs, which has a very slow, very obvious startup and now I can indeed see people just punishing you for it on reaction. I was thinking in terms of after a knockdown, you set it up quickly and then hang around "in" the fireball to stop her from approaching you so easily, especially since her normals are pretty good.

So...probably disregard the Karin more fireballs thing, which now sounds like a bad idea. Sorry!

PS - I forgot to mention, your mic is way too soft. I have no idea what you said throughout most of it.
PPS - Use more light attacks, I don't recall you using much of them. They're also good to set up tick throws.

Fixed the mic problem as soon as I realised, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and it threw off my sound. And yeah, I don't really "get" how to use lights effectively, in SFIV I swore by them because tonnes of cool stuff Balrog did led off Cr. LP, but Laura can't do anything from that. So I just instinctively go to Cr. MK because my entire gameplan revolves around it. I'll probably set that up as my next area to work on.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 24, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiZu9vO8Ix0

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

That Gief is twice as stupid as that Ken.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

That Gief is twice as stupid as that Ken.

:thejoke:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Artelier posted:

Vs Bison

You can also consider charging a fireball and following up with whatever. I think if you land a full charge you can follow up with the forwardHP combo, but literally anything else should work too even off a level 2 charge.

It was posted already, but Bafael did a cool Laura tutorial that you should check out if you haven't, Yorkshire.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Srice posted:

It works fine as long as you set a filter to only get matched with opponents with good ping, and crossplay with ps4 players has no problems outside of the ps4 version having slightly longer load times so unlike other pc fighting games you don't have to worry about it becoming a wasteland.

Hm... maybe for now I'll back-burner it until they add Arcade Mode in March, so I have something to fall back on.

I'll probably just keep watching the twitch tournaments because :esports:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Hm... maybe for now I'll back-burner it until they add Arcade Mode in March, so I have something to fall back on.
they aren't adding arcade mode in march and i'm not really sure why anyone needs it while survival exists

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cat Machine posted:

they aren't adding arcade mode in march and i'm not really sure why anyone needs it while survival exists

This confuses me greatly as well, it's the same thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cat Machine posted:

Because Arcade mode is generally thought to be a mode that has things like round settings and time settings and difficulty settings and you start each match with full health and get to retry on loss and lots of other differences?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It just dawned on me that maybe I drop links so much when I'm not at home could be because I'm practicing on a laggy TV. D'oh.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Who's the character with the most uhhh I wanna say the word is deliberate gameplay? Carefully timed, low-combo attacks that have decent damage without having to pressure the poo poo out of the opponent with mixups, just dealing with the attacks that come with a large toolkit where you just use the right one for the attack? I say this as someone who normally picks the guy who has command counters, but there aren't any in this game to my knowledge. High normal damage would also be a plus, and it's ok I guess if the answer is "no one is like this."

Conversely, who's the char to pick when you want to take a simple jab and turn it into something ridiculous?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Who's the character with the most uhhh I wanna say the word is deliberate gameplay? Carefully timed, low-combo attacks that have decent damage without having to pressure the poo poo out of the opponent with mixups, just dealing with the attacks that come with a large toolkit where you just use the right one for the attack? I say this as someone who normally picks the guy who has command counters, but there aren't any in this game to my knowledge. High normal damage would also be a plus, and it's ok I guess if the answer is "no one is like this."
probably birdie..... and gief? zangief is bad in this game though

signalnoise posted:

Conversely, who's the char to pick when you want to take a simple jab and turn it into something ridiculous?
chun, although 'ridiculous' is subjective within the limits of this game's combo systems

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

signalnoise posted:

V-trigger Cammy.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/HelloKittyRicky/status/702437363222454272?s=17

Heh. Apparently Wolfkrone is rage quitting all over the place in ranked. (http://youtu.be/AptIg6t9ecQ for those who don't get the reference)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So Patrick Miller (who is a great follow on Twitter and wrote a free e-book on learning fighting games that you should check out) tweeted about a Necalli player who made a public spreadsheet of most-efficient punishes for every character in the game for those of you interested.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

https://twitter.com/HelloKittyRicky/status/702437363222454272?s=17

Heh. Apparently Wolfkrone is rage quitting all over the place in ranked. (http://youtu.be/AptIg6t9ecQ for those who don't get the reference)

Wolfkrone is a person I've heard some not-great things about (Something like giving SuperYan poo poo after her dog died for not being Christian and yelling at Yohosie for being a lesbian) so this isn't a good look for him.