Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Hman
Jan 6, 2015
How ineffective does ur bomb even have to BE to not kill anyone else like wtf man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

The Hman posted:

How ineffective does ur bomb even have to BE to not kill anyone else like wtf man

Sounds like it didn't even kill him just set him on fire and blasted a hole got bigger and sucked him out. That's hilarious.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Microwaves Mom posted:

Sounds like it didn't even kill him just set him on fire and blasted a hole got bigger and sucked him out. That's hilarious.

Correct, the autopsy indicated he died on impact, so he had a nice long ride down to think about what he did.

He did manage to injure some of the other passengers, though, including giving some poor old guy severe burns. But it's poetic justice that he only managed to blow himself out the side of the airplane.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kilo147 posted:

Right? Once the pressure equalizes, it's not like you'll get sucked out. I'd definitely sit down across from it and get some kickass video. Or use a selfie stick and get outside-the-plane video.

Yea, it's rare you get an open cabin experience like that. I'm really curious how it feels to stick your head out of a plane flying that fast.
Might be tough to hold onto that selfie stick.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Did they find the plane?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

smoobles posted:

Did they find the plane?
It landed on Scalia

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
It will have been two years, two weeks from now.

And its still gone, guys.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks Chinatown.

Has anyone made a :toxx: challenge?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chinatown posted:

i had to go back and actually check, holy gently caress

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

ChrisHansen posted:

Thanks Chinatown.

Has anyone made a :toxx: challenge?

I did scroll up.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

Thank you, Chinatown.

You are the one constant in a confusing, turbulent world.

I ... I ... loveike you!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

how long did it take to find that air france one again?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

5 days to find wreckage. That included debris, oil slick, and remains.

Almost 2 years to find the black boxes.

MH370, in comparison, is Gone, guys.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm beginning to think Chinatown might be onto something.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Chinatown posted:

5 days to find wreckage. That included debris, oil slick, and remains.

Almost 2 years to find the black boxes.

MH370, in comparison, is Gone, guys.

I watched a documentary on finding the Air France 447 wreckage quite a while ago. The company hired to determine the probable location of the resting place used some cool math & simulations to find it. With that information it was found within a week of resuming search operations.
IIRC it's thought that the black box "pingers" didn't actually work because that area had already been searched with underwater microphones in the first search effort (during the first 30 days when the pingers are active or whatever). That area was thought to have been searched already because they did that but the probability reports kept coming back to that area so they found it this time with sonar.

I don't remember which documentary it was but probably something on PBS.

MH370 of course wasn't actually flying on any course that we know of so who knows.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

CharlesM posted:

I watched a documentary on finding the Air France 447 wreckage quite a while ago. The company hired to determine the probable location of the resting place used some cool math & simulations to find it. With that information it was found within a week of resuming search operations.
IIRC it's thought that the black box "pingers" didn't actually work because that area had already been searched with underwater microphones in the first search effort (during the first 30 days when the pingers are active or whatever). That area was thought to have been searched already because they did that but the probability reports kept coming back to that area so they found it this time with sonar.

MH370 of course wasn't actually flying on any course that we know of so who knows.

Dude, it's gone.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

simplefish posted:

The reason that flight went down is hilariously pathetic. The lead pilot was saying to "pull down", because they were losing speed and altitude (should've been saying "push down"). The co-pilot panicked and kept pulling back in order to maintain altitude, and put the plane into a flat stall. It's literally one of the first things you learn as a pilot to start diving when you lose airspeed. It's the first thing you learn in a loving arcade fighter plane sim.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CharlesM posted:

Ultimately it may never be found because they have no good idea which direction it went and the potential search area is enormous. I mean we've already found pieces so the black boxes could be thousands of miles away from the crash site for all we know.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ultimately it may never be found because they have no good idea which direction it went and the potential search area is enormous. I mean we've already found pieces so the black boxes could be thousands of miles away from the crash site for all we know.

Yeah, what I meant to imply is finding AF447 was a cool thing since somebody asked about that but it was still on a flight path that we knew, so we can't compare. I have faith we'll find more someday but...

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

XK posted:

The reason that flight went down is hilariously pathetic. The lead pilot was saying to "pull down", because they were losing speed and altitude (should've been saying "push down"). The co-pilot panicked and kept pulling back in order to maintain altitude, and put the plane into a flat stall. It's literally one of the first things you learn as a pilot to start diving when you lose airspeed. It's the first thing you learn in a loving arcade fighter plane sim.

This is literally what happened for almost 4 minutes straight:

:siren: STALL WARNING :siren:
:downs: *pulls back on stick*

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Here's the transcript in all its stupefying detail
http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cvr090601.htm

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

No. 6 posted:

I can understand the initial rush of panic, but the hardest of the edge ebbs within a minute, you'd think at some point his brain would've gone "wait a second, what am I expecting to do by pulling back hard this whole time? Loop the plane?"

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Prettz posted:

Here's the transcript in all its stupefying detail
http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cvr090601.htm

quote:

[Another of the pitot tubes begins to function once more. The cockpit's avionics are now all functioning normally. The flight crew has all the information that they need to fly safely, and all the systems are fully functional. The problems that occur from this point forward are entirely due to human error.]

lol.

quote:

[The captain of the flight makes no attempt to physically take control of the airplane. Had Dubois done so, he almost certainly would have understood, as a pilot with many hours flying light airplanes, the insanity of pulling back on the controls while stalled. But instead, he takes a seat behind the other two pilots.]

Too lazy to save his own life and that of others.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Microwaves Mom posted:

lol.

Too lazy to save his own life and that of others.

He is (was) French.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

XK posted:

02:07:00 (Bonin) We seem to be at the end of the cloud layer, it might be okay.

02:10:36 (Robert) Descend!

02:10:37 (Bonin) Here we go, we're descending.

02:10:41(Bonin) We're... yeah, we're in a climb.

02:10:55 (Robert) drat it!

02:11:21 (Robert) We still have the engines! What the hell is happening? I don't understand what's happening.

02:11:32 (Bonin) drat it, I don't have control of the plane, I don't have control of the plane at all!

02:11:37 (Robert) Left seat taking control!

02:11:43 (Captain) What the hell are you doing?

02:11:45 (Bonin) We've lost control of the plane!

02:11:47 (Robert) We've totally lost control of the plane. We don't understand at all... We've tried everything.

02:12:14 (Robert) What do you think? What do you think? What should we do?

02:12:15 (Captain) Well, I don't know!

02:13:40 (Robert) Climb... climb... climb... climb...

02:13:42 (Captain) No, no, no... Don't climb... no, no.

02:13:43 (Robert) Descend, then... Give me the controls... Give me the controls!

02:14:23 (Robert) drat it, we're going to crash... This can't be happening!

02:14:27 (Captain) Ten degrees of pitch...

(Exactly 1.4 seconds later, the cockpit voice recorder stops).

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

No. 6 posted:

quote:

the accident resulted from the following succession of major events:

temporary inconsistency between the measured speeds, likely as a result of the obstruction of the pitot tubes by ice crystals, causing autopilot disconnection and reconfiguration to alternate law;
the crew made inappropriate control inputs that destabilized the flight path;
the crew failed to follow appropriate procedure for loss of displayed airspeed information;
the crew were late in identifying and correcting the deviation from the flight path;
the crew lacked understanding of the approach to stall;
the crew failed to recognize that the aircraft had stalled and consequently did not make inputs that would have made it possible to recover from the stall.

In short AF447 was lost because the electronics were briefly hosed up and then two first officer co-pilots flew a perfectly working airplane into the drink.  Alarming human error similarities to the loss of OZ214 where a flight crew managed to crash land a perfectly working Boeing 777 on a sunny day with fine weather.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Also the captain was in the bathroom making GBS threads for most of if

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

ethanol posted:

Also the captain was in the bathroom making GBS threads for most of if

Shouldn't have had the fish.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
02:14:23 (Robert) drat it, we're going to crash... This can't be happening!
02:14:25 (Bonin) But what's happening?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Missing MH370: Possible Boeing 777 Part Found Off Mozambique, Sources Say

An object that could be debris from a Boeing 777 has been found off Mozambique and is being examined by investigators searching for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, sources told NBC News.

Early photographic analysis of the object suggests it could have come from the doomed jet, which vanished almost exactly 2 years ago.

It was found on a sandbank in the Mozambique Channel — the body of water between Mozambique in eastern Africa and Madagascar — and in the same corner of the southern Indian Ocean where the only confirmed piece of debris, a flaperon, was found last July.

Investigators in Malaysia, Australia and the U.S. have seen photographs of the latest object and sources say there is a good chance it comes from a Boeing 777.

Boeing engineers are looking at the photos, according to sources, but the company has declined to comment.

The object has the words "NO STEP" on it and could be from the plane's horizontal stabilizer — the wing-like parts attached to the tail, sources say. It was discovered by an American who has been blogging about the search for MH370.

Australia's Joint Agency Coordination Center said it was aware of the discovery and arranging for a thorough examination.

The development comes days ahead of the second anniversary of the jet's disappearance en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014 with 239 people on board.

Possible Boeing 777 parts found that could be from MH370.
No trace has been found of Flight MH370 except for the single barnacle-encrusted flaperon that washed up on the eastern shore of Reunion, east of Madagascar, last July. French aviation experts verified it as part of aircraft 9M-MRO after more than one month of forensic analysis at a laboratory near Toulouse.

There have been false hopes over the course of the investigation: In January, aviation officials ruled that two objects recovered from Malaysia's east coast were not from the missing airliner.

One of them, a six-foot-long metal item found in the eastern state of Terengganu, was examined by officials from the transport ministry, the Department of Civil Aviation and Malaysia Airlines.

However, the sonar search operation has turned up a 19th-century shipwreck.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/missing-mh370-families-dismayed-malaysia-over-new-law-n524731

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Its still gone, guys.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

smoobles posted:

Did they find the plane?

yes, but im not going to tell you where.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Chinatown posted:

Its still gone, guys.

^ correction

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chinatown posted:

Its still gone, guys.

I'm glad I skipped 400 unread posts to catch up on this. Thanks!

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Somebody should start a kickstarter to send Chinatown to Mozambique to finally solve this mystery

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Kilo147 posted:

Chinatown posted:

Its still gone, guys.

thanks

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chinatown posted:

Its still gone, guys.

Anyone new to this thread: it's pretty certain Chinatown has some sort of inside source in the investigation. He's never been wrong. You can trust what he says on the status of the MH370.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kilo147 posted:

Oh yeah I remember. I had the lasagna.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought they found a fish named MH370.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Why the gently caress is this plane still gone?!?

• Locked thread