Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

You could do a great Eberron movie as an Ocean's Eleven-style heist movie. Except on a train.

Or a hard-boiled detective story set in Sharn.

Either way cast Vin Diesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Basically what we're saying is that if Vin Diesel is not in the D&D movie then they're missing a golden opportunity to get both the mouth-breathing nerds and the weight-lifting jocks in the theater at the same time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Forgotten Realms has interesting areas. Unfortunately, virtually all DnD media takes place in or near the Sword Coast, which has absolutely no memorable features.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Dark Sun with Vin diesel, The Rock, Tywin Lanninster with Aria and Peter Dinklage as Ringing Mountain halfings.
If I ever win the lottery I'm funding this, also warforged noir detective as a Law & Order spinoff.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

All this talk about D&D movies and really we should just hope for an anime about people playing Call of Cthulhu.

But if we must have a D&D movie, hire Terry Gilliam and make a Spelljammer movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want Terry Gilliam to make movies out of Grant Morrison comics.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

All this talk about D&D movies and really we should just hope for an anime about people playing Call of Cthulhu.

But if we must have a D&D movie, hire Terry Gilliam and make a Spelljammer movie.

It exists and it's called Haiyore! Nyarko-san

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
A Planescape: Torment movie with Vin Diesel as The Nameless One.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I want Terry Gilliam to make movies out of Grant Morrison comics.

Always wanted to see a Gilliam-produced Invisibles series.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So the newest Humble Book Bundle is a bigass stack of Pathfinder PDF's.

$1:
Core Rulebook
GameMastery Guide
"Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Digital Beginner Box"
Player Character Folio
Advanced Class Guide
GM Screen (how are you... supposed to use a PDF of a GM screen again?)
Adventure Path: In Hell's Bright Shadow (Hell's Rebels 1 of 6)

$beat the average:
Inner Sea World Guide
Strategy Guide
Bestiary
Ultimate Equipment
Pathfinder Society Scenario 7-01: Between the Lines
Adventure Path: Turn of the Torrent (Hell's Rebels 2 of 6)
Advanced Player's Guide

$15
Ultimate Magic
Ultimate Campaign
Ultimate Combat
Bestiary 2
Adventure Path: Dance of the Damned (Hell's Rebels 3 of 6)
Inner Sea Poster Map Folio
Pathfinder Society: Year of the Sky Key Scenario Mega Pack (23 Adventures)

$25
Physical Beginner's Box

That's a ton of poo poo. And strange because just today I was thinking about picking up the German edition of the Pathfinder Beginner Box to try to introduce some local friends to tabletop RPGs in lieu of proper beginner boxes (or even German translations) of any D&D stuff :tinfoil:

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 24, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Really gigantic PDF bundles seem to be popular lately, possibly because of 7th Sea's ridiculous success.

I have to admit, I've never found the White Wolf method of "buy the bundle and you can get all of Changeling for $269 instead of $452" to be that appealing. (I've always been really glad that in a fit of clairvoyance I bought most of the World of Darkness just after they announced their move to PoD, so that I got it all at "crappy scans" prices instead of the current ones.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Why the gently caress would an RPG system need a strategy guide?

Edit: I guess it's a player handbook that adds on to the regular and Advanced player's handbook.
Edit the 2nd: The aesthetics of the guide make me almost want to play Pathfinder. It makes it seem like it's a fun boardgame instead of 13 years of rules cruft.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 24, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The "strategy guide" is basically a guided walkthrough of character creation for new players.

It's nothing really spectacular; it's like a whole book of those "what D&D class are you?" questions. You know; "you see a goblin. Do you a) attack it with your sword, b) sneak up and pick its pocket, c) pray, or d) invoke a fireball?".

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Drone posted:

GM Screen (how are you... supposed to use a PDF of a GM screen again?)

With a laptop, to reference the charts. Or with a printer.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The "strategy guide" is basically a guided walkthrough of character creation for new players.

Really? I think for Pathfinder and 3.5e clones, you really only need five words to walk new players through character creation.

1) Don't play Fighters - they suck.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A few companies sell GM screens you can slide sheets into on both sides so you can use them for any game.

I have one of these three-panel landscape ones and it's pretty useful. These are a little more expensive, but have four panels and are available in landscape or portrait depending on what you want.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

If I ever win the lottery I'm funding this, also warforged noir detective as a Law & Order spinoff.

Law and Order in the city of Sharn would rule.

They even talk about how customs in Sharn have to be on the look out for artifacts smuggled from Xendrik.

That pathfinder bundle is a really good deal.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

drrockso20 posted:

Which is a huge mistake on WOTC side of things(I've never understood how the Realms have any popularity at all, it's completely bland, and so bloated with ultra powerful NPCS that it just seems like a pain in the rear end to have any meaningful adventures, especially if you're starting from a low level)

Not really, both Greyhawk and Mystara have a lot that's unique to them, while I can't think of anything unique to the main region of the Realms, it's the single most white bread fantasy setting I can think of that's not a parody or satire(and even those tend to stand out more)

"White Bread Fantasy" is exactly what's best for a movie. The less you have to explain to the audience about the setting the better. The more cliches and standardized fantasy tropes the better, because that allows audiences to instantly buy into the setting without need for exposition and instead focus on interesting characters and set pieces. You might get the occasional setting in-joke or reference for the table-top gamers in the audience, but expect those to be simple quick references, place names or background references. There's nothing Greyhawk or Mystara can offer in that context that Forgotten Realms can''t.

What Forgotten Realms can do is give name recognition. Because unlike Greyhawk or Mystara it's been the setting of novels and video games which have been popular not just among tabletop gamers but also mainstream audiences. Say what you like about it's worth as a setting for playing your elfgames, but it is objectively the best setting for a D&D movie. Heck, Dragonlance would make a better setting than Greyhawk or Mystara. Remember, the D&D movie isn't being made because they think mainstream audiences want to see someone gamer's fantasy sandbox on the big screen, if anything they're hoping a well-done fantasy movie might convince more mainstream audiences to check out D&D afterwards (or more likely, to promote a tie in video game or MMO).

Now, a more exotic setting like Dark Sun might be able to pull off a movie on pure spectacle and uniqueness...its unlikely to be honest, but its possible. And something like Eberron or even Spelljammer could work if they play up the "magic as technology" angle because the audience can easily grasp "sending stone=walky talky" and "wand in a holster =gun".

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

oriongates posted:

"White Bread Fantasy" is exactly what's best for a movie.

I mean, unless it causes it to get written off as a cheap attempt to cash in on lingering LotR nostalgia three Hobbit movies too late.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, unless it causes it to get written off as a cheap attempt to cash in on lingering LotR nostalgia three Hobbit movies too late.

Which is a risk any D&D movie is going to run. Greyhawk/Mystara vs. Forgotten Realms certainly isn't going to change that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

oriongates posted:

Which is a risk any D&D movie is going to run. Greyhawk/Mystara vs. Forgotten Realms certainly isn't going to change that.

Well you yourself point out that Eberron isn't beyond the grasp of the average movie-goer. To be frank neither is Dark Sun. I agree that Forgotten Realms is the obvious choice because it has the most pertinent mainstream exposure of all the various D&D settings, though I'm guessing that more people who played Baldur's Gate have no idea what the Forgotten Realms are than do, but I disagree that "whitebread fantasy" is necessarily what's best for a movie period.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spelljammer is obviously the best choice for an entertaining D&D movie but considering that setting has been dead for ages it makes more sense to use a still published property.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

So the newest Humble Book Bundle is a bigass stack of Pathfinder PDF's.

I went all-in on the PDFs. Pathfinder wouldn't be my first, or even my second choice for a system, but its quite generous and goes toward charity, so eh.

Shame they didn't include Pathfinder Unchained though - that one has enough variant rules to make it significantly less crunchy and more user-friendly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

oriongates posted:

"White Bread Fantasy" is exactly what's best for a movie. The less you have to explain to the audience about the setting the better. The more cliches and standardized fantasy tropes the better, because that allows audiences to instantly buy into the setting without need for exposition and instead focus on interesting characters and set pieces. You might get the occasional setting in-joke or reference for the table-top gamers in the audience, but expect those to be simple quick references, place names or background references. There's nothing Greyhawk or Mystara can offer in that context that Forgotten Realms can''t.

What Forgotten Realms can do is give name recognition. Because unlike Greyhawk or Mystara it's been the setting of novels and video games which have been popular not just among tabletop gamers but also mainstream audiences. Say what you like about it's worth as a setting for playing your elfgames, but it is objectively the best setting for a D&D movie. Heck, Dragonlance would make a better setting than Greyhawk or Mystara. Remember, the D&D movie isn't being made because they think mainstream audiences want to see someone gamer's fantasy sandbox on the big screen, if anything they're hoping a well-done fantasy movie might convince more mainstream audiences to check out D&D afterwards (or more likely, to promote a tie in video game or MMO).

Now, a more exotic setting like Dark Sun might be able to pull off a movie on pure spectacle and uniqueness...its unlikely to be honest, but its possible. And something like Eberron or even Spelljammer could work if they play up the "magic as technology" angle because the audience can easily grasp "sending stone=walky talky" and "wand in a holster =gun".

Main reason I didn't suggest Dragonlance is that there seems to be some minor rights issues with that setting, also I disagree vehemently that FR being bland is a good thing, especially with Warcraft coming soon, they'll appear too close on the surface(and that's all that matters for this sort of thing), which is why they should use one of the more gonzo settings, or maybe even just make a whole new setting

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
How about this. If the D&D movie actually has a loving plot above lol random Hero must fight Evil Wizard and has to visit a Dungeon for Hero miles or something I'll be impressed.

Game of Thrones is successful because a) backdrop is an ongoing war b) succession is at stake and character's decisions matter (among other reasons).

Not because they drop dank memes and make inside joke tomfoolery.

Hell, if they said "we are going with the Drow vs surface dwellers for compelling reasons" audences would respond.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Game of Thrones is successful because humanity is insanely idiotic and rotten and must be cleansed.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Kai Tave posted:

Well you yourself point out that Eberron isn't beyond the grasp of the average movie-goer. To be frank neither is Dark Sun. I agree that Forgotten Realms is the obvious choice because it has the most pertinent mainstream exposure of all the various D&D settings, though I'm guessing that more people who played Baldur's Gate have no idea what the Forgotten Realms are than do, but I disagree that "whitebread fantasy" is necessarily what's best for a movie period.

My full point was that out of Mystara, Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms, FR is clearly the best choice. They're all, to some degree another, generic fantasy settings. FR is both the most generic and the most recognizable so of the three, it's clearly the best because the other two are either going to have their unique bits cut out (leaving a fantasy setting just as bland but with no name recognition) or they're going to be left in (leaving generic fantasy but with some confusing bits that have to be explained and also no name recognition).

Dark Sun/Eberron/Spelljammer/Planescape and the like are a completely different kettle of fish and at might work or be appealing for an entirely different reason. I'd say out of all of them Eberron probably has the best chance, but if you hacked psionics out of Dark Sun you've got a perfectly serviceable sword and sorcery setting. However, none of them would identify strongly with the Dungeons and Dragons brand and D&D itself does still have a moderate amount of name recognition in the public consciousness. That's not to say they can't be good movies and that the spectacle might not make them successful, but if you brand a movie with the D&D logo a certain amount of cliche is expected and all of those settings defy cliche pretty hard.

As far as the Warcraft movie, I actually don't expect that to be an issue. From everything I've seen there it seems to be pushing the Warcraft 1/2 angle pretty hard of clashing cultures between the Orcs and Humans with a "big view" of the conflict. The D&D movie (especially being described as "guardians of the galaxy" in a fantasy world) is likely to be more narrowly character focused and beyond "they're both fantasy movies" I don't expect that they'll be all that similar in tone. I certainly don't think it'll have much of a chance of competing directly, anymore than Percy Jackson had much of a chance against Harry Potter, but so long as they aren't released side-by-side they're more likely to help one another than anything else. Movies tend to come in thematic waves: you get a couple of years with a bunch of similar movies coming out, riding each others coat-tails. I don't expect this to be any different.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Game of Thrones is/was (I believe it's viewership is going down) popular because human beings love sex, violence, and drama.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hell, if they said "we are going with the Drow vs surface dwellers for compelling reasons" audences would respond.

Assuming it's not as hamfisted and clumsy as Revenge of the Sith, I would be interested in a movie that tried to make a thinly veiled allegory for the current issues of multiculturalism and immigration through the lens of fantasy race relations, such as what Starcraft 2 did with Legacy of the Void.

Though I don't think this movie is going to be it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

LuiCypher posted:

Really? I think for Pathfinder and 3.5e clones, you really only need five words to walk new players through character creation.

1) Don't play Fighters - they suck.
I love how they somehow managed to combine the two worst classes in the game (Monk/Fighter) to make one of the most entertaining and fun martial classes in the game. Also, I wonder how bad Fighter's are given that the feat system is kind of overhauled just by sheer addition of content. Depending on the feat chain Int 13 is no longer required.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MadScientistWorking posted:

I love how they somehow managed to combine the two worst classes in the game (Monk/Fighter) to make one of the most entertaining and fun martial classes in the game. Also, I wonder how bad Fighter's are given that the feat system is kind of overhauled just by sheer addition of content. Depending on the feat chain Int 13 is no longer required.

Yeah don't quote me on this, but between all of the stuff added by the Advanced Class Guide, the Dirty Tactics Toolbox and the Weapon Master's Handbook, you can actually make a Fighter that's competitive against even spellcasters.

It's just that it's all buried under a bunch of poo poo and the Pathfinder "Strategy Guide" only tells you how to create Fighters using the core rules, so Power Attack it is.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah don't quote me on this, but between all of the stuff added by the Advanced Class Guide, the Dirty Tactics Toolbox and the Weapon Master's Handbook, you can actually make a Fighter that's competitive against even spellcasters.

Unless they suddenly get wish, nah. Though PF fighters definitely can get way more competitive in terms of DPS than 3.5, class tiers aren't based on DPS. You can at least get a fighter that's modestly competent at their class role, but it's a lot of work for that "reward".

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

oriongates posted:

This is dead on, and part of why Marvel has been doing so well with their movies.

Example because it's fresh in my mind: Guardians of the Galaxy explains almost nothing about its setting. There's a planet called Xandar where an organization of space police called Nova live. Some scary religious fanatic guy named Ronan, who is a Kree, wants to blow it up. He wants the Orb that the heroes have so he can do that. Everything is painted in real broad strokes so you can quickly grasp which environment each planet is: here's the Earth-like nice planet with all the cosmopolitan people. Here's the prison. Here's the seedy place where outlaws and bars are, which incidentally is in the head of some dead space God.

You don't need to know anything about the pink and blue skinned Kree, the history of the Nova corps, etc. They jettisoned almost all of the backstory for the characters (Groot isn't a planet devouring monster, Rocket isn't the only police officer for a planet full of lunatics, Star-Lord isn't an astronaut blessed with superpowers by the Master of the Sun, etc.) because the film doesn't need them for the plot to move forward. I could tell you a lot about the setting because I've read the comics, but as for what's actually in the film, and what needs to be in the film to let it maintain the pace it wants and the tone its aiming for? It's intentionally stripped down for details.

It'd be boring to watch an extensive backstory. Outside of the prologue, you get a couple lines, at most, for outright stated motivation and/or backstory, and then its either let the audience pick up the rest from character action, or work it into the ongoing plot, especially during arguments where people are most likely to throw past actions back at one another. (If you don't believe me, try to watch this without boring yourself half to death. Then, think about what it says that you don't trust your audience to understand what psychics, warping through space, and emperors are before your movie even really starts)

I'd expect any D&D film to have pretty stock characters that are easy to identify (The big guy who talks slow and makes grammar mistakes, the thief who's too greedy but has a heart of gold, the girl trying to avenge her dead family, the hero who has a destiny due to a prophecy) and there will be a lot of set pieces (battle on the treacherous snowy mountain pass, fight on horseback in the forest, chase scene for the MacGuffin in the crowded market), with details like which city it is and how its history affects the hero's destiny being left as either inside jokes or as relatively unimportant to the overall plot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's also worthy of note that they said they're only doing FR for the first movie and will branch out into more interesting stuff later.

Which makes me think either Planescape or Spelljammer is gonna come into play.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Assuming it's not as hamfisted and clumsy as Revenge of the Sith, I would be interested in a movie that tried to make a thinly veiled allegory for the current issues of multiculturalism and immigration through the lens of fantasy race relations, such as what Starcraft 2 did with Legacy of the Void.

Though I don't think this movie is going to be it.

Exactly what I was thinking. A World of Warcraft movie could do this too, hell any movie could, if they decided to be uncompromising about quality and hire good writers/directors.

Of course then it would get butched in editing by Industry insiders like Kingdom of Heaven :negative:

Anyway, I'm primarily a story guy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone know if Dungeon World is available in other languages? I have some board game friends here in Germany who may be interested in getting into an RPG, but the selection of translated RPG's seems limited. Of the "big" RPGs I can only find Pathfinder (apparently huge in this country), 13th Age (only the core rulebook), and The One Ring.

Not even D&D is available in Germany, at least since 2nd or 3rd edition. Googling it is sparse on details but apparently there was huge licensing drama way back when.

And I have no interest in trying to play Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye), the old "bigger than D&D" game of the 90s.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for creatures like you. If you let Bella Swan go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you."

"But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

I just started reading Night's Black Agents and I really dig the idea of basing my vampire conspiracy off of the vampires in Twilight because:

1). Every self-respecting nerd despises them, but...
2)... That being said, as portrayed they're terrifying threats, even to a group of super-spies.

The conspiracy will touch off of the Volturi from the books (the self-policing group of vampires dedicated to preserving secrecy that's totally not the Camarilla guys, really). I'm leaning towards the idea of the vampires needing the blood of the young in particular; most human blood has become too polluted for vamps since the Industrial Revolution (a nod to Only Lovers Left Alive), so they have been inserting themselves into the bureaucracy of schools and orphanages to gain access to the blood of the young, which has accumulated fewer pollutants. The Cullen family ends up being the weak link in this system that leads the PCs to the conspiracy. I might also throw in a conspiracy element to the Mormons, and possibly insert Christian Grey from 50 Shades as an antagonist (he might be the offspring of a Sparkler)

The big issue with them is finding a way to capture them as written, without making them *too* difficult to kill. The problem is that they have incredible strength and speed, and little in the way of vampiric weaknesses, like sunlight or stakes. I figure I'd let players come up with creative means of disposal as part of the investigation (leaning towards napalm and diamond-tipped bullets, myself...)

I'm still new to NBA, and I'm sure there's gaps in my knowledge of the Twilight saga. Any thoughts/suggestions?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's a good idea for NBAgents villain vampires, because the movies set them up as being capable of hitting baseballs hard enough to cause thunder, and that you need to tear their bodies apart completely in order to destroy them.

They're supposed to be well-nigh-impossible to directly confront, much less kill, unless the agents have been waging a campaign against them for a long time and are willing to take extreme risks, but as the agents climb up the Conspyramid and start denying the vampires of their resources (such as a source of blood), you should be able to knock down their Aberrance levels and prevent them from restocking, which should make the vampires vulnerable, but again not without being all Big drat Heroes about it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hahahahaha. Nights Black Agents vs Twilight vampires. Protecting our highschools from pedos. Love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Drone posted:

Anyone know if Dungeon World is available in other languages? I have some board game friends here in Germany who may be interested in getting into an RPG, but the selection of translated RPG's seems limited. Of the "big" RPGs I can only find Pathfinder (apparently huge in this country), 13th Age (only the core rulebook), and The One Ring.

Not even D&D is available in Germany, at least since 2nd or 3rd edition. Googling it is sparse on details but apparently there was huge licensing drama way back when.

And I have no interest in trying to play Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye), the old "bigger than D&D" game of the 90s.

I remember there was an italian translation, so german doesn't seem like a stretch.

I think i found a basic german fan translation attempt, can't really check on the phone.

http://www.tanelorn.net/index.php?topic=85578.0

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 25, 2016

• Locked thread