Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

InShaneee posted:

They buried it pretty deep, but:

They're really just kickstarting a tech demo.

I was going to say they were taking the Beasts Fury route (and look what a cluster gently caress that was) but this group has seemingly actually put out games before? So I dunno.

Still super leery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
They can't get a loving loan for 1k???

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Suspicious Dish posted:

They can't get a loving loan for 1k???

Why get a loan when you can have idiots give you the money for free?

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Remember the Arkh Project? A game touting itself to be super inclusive to LGBT people but pretty much just stole the money and ran?

Well the creator is back with another crowdfunding campaign! But wait, not just any crowdfunding campaign! They need to crowdfund to crowdfund. Also, they've done 400 hours of work but can't show any of it because...uh...corporations are evil or something.

Seriously I can't make this poo poo up

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Paging Frodo Baggins to this thread to explain to us how this is actually a really good move on Fig's part tia

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Paging Frodo Baggins to this thread to explain to us how this is actually a really good move on Fig's part tia

If it succeeds it will have been a good move but it's pretty hard to see how this will be much of a regular backer success. It could also be way of testing what themes can generate interest or not. Whether that hurts them in the future I guess remains to be seen, from what happens to the next project.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Why get a loan when you can have idiots give you the money for free?

if you had to internet panhandle for 1k, no investor is going to give you the rest

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You are getting "market validation" as much as money.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i just enjoy how fig in the early days would go on and on with this breathless, high-minded "we're better than kickstarter" moral platitudes because it's curated and that means that bad projects won't go through and only the best entries will be on fig at any given time and so far, of the four projects they've launched, one was free to play and the other is a fuckin jay and silent bob sidescroller

good curation there guys

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Toxxupation posted:

i just enjoy how fig in the early days would go on and on with this breathless, high-minded "we're better than kickstarter" moral platitudes because it's curated and that means that bad projects won't go through and only the best entries will be on fig at any given time and so far, of the four projects they've launched, one was free to play and the other is a fuckin jay and silent bob sidescroller

good curation there guys

I assumed curation was limited to:

Likely to make us money? Y/N

It really makes no difference in the long term though, get a big project on there with a media blitz and people will come, even if it's only for that one project.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Remember the Arkh Project? A game touting itself to be super inclusive to LGBT people but pretty much just stole the money and ran?

Well the creator is back with another crowdfunding campaign! But wait, not just any crowdfunding campaign! They need to crowdfund to crowdfund. Also, they've done 400 hours of work but can't show any of it because...uh...corporations are evil or something.

I want to make a prototype for a non-profit 2-D fantasy game so people like myself will continue to want to live.

:stare:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

I want to make a prototype for a non-profit 2-D fantasy game so people like myself will continue to want to live.

:stare:

I seem to recall a bunch of the wacko poo poo she was saying/doing that got dug up when people were asking where the money went and from what I recollect it's OK if she wants to die, like the world and her causes would be better off without her.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Can't the ark person just go seek therapy instead of a kickstarter for a kickstarter? And wait, wasn't the Ark artists already involved in that Africa themed RPG or was that this one as well?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 24, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/335326767/machiavillain-horror-mansion-management-game

So Machiavillian is a haunted mansion management simulator where you build the said mansion, recruit monsters and slaughter visitors. It kinda looks like a cross between Dungeon Keeper and Prison Architect and I dig it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sigma-X posted:

I seem to recall a bunch of the wacko poo poo she was saying/doing that got dug up when people were asking where the money went and from what I recollect it's OK if she wants to die, like the world and her causes would be better off without her.

Lol, Riley's at it again? She's basically a complete psychopath.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 25, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah the Arkh project person is as big a scamlord as the Confederate Express people. Except they haven't (yet) also squatted an AirBNB.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Speaking of $1000 campaigns, I guess this was inevitable :homebrew:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I just got my key for SUPERHOT in my email. :toot:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

He is 90% finished tho...

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

From the same personality that brought you STAR WARS RPG.

Not sure what's better. The low ask, the lovely description (including 90% done), or the photo of a movie stub as the only image.

Probably the movie stub.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

thedaian posted:

From the same personality that brought you STAR WARS RPG.

Not sure what's better. The low ask, the lovely description (including 90% done), or the photo of a movie stub as the only image.

Probably the movie stub.

The ticket stub is definitely the cherry on top.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Beta access

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kevin smith shoulda made a red state game instead.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Chakan posted:

Beta access

That, and the main tier just saying "weapons pack".

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I want to play a game that gives you access to all of Canada. And one city in the US.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Mordja posted:

Lol, Riley's still involved? She's basically a complete psychopath.

Yeah it's been a few years so I can't say what Riley's like now, but this sticks out in my memory:
http://sf-drama.livejournal.com/3225031.html
And a long writeup someone did of Riley being awful
Signs point to still awful

Combined with nothing ever actually happening with the project, yeah. Last I heard the money got used for programming classes or something

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 25, 2016

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

fishmech posted:

Yeah the Arkh project person is as big a scamlord as the Confederate Express people. Except they haven't (yet) also squatted an AirBNB.

I'm sorry, I think you'll find that it was NOT as scam:

quote:

Four years ago, I won internet infamy through The Other Project, as I’ll call it. I don’t want to talk about it much, it still incites panic attacks in me to this day. I’m still being called all kinds of poo poo even though I produced exactly what I said I was going to. There are people around who believed that I actually planned to make a 3D RPG for $3900, despite clearly saying that it was for CONCEPT art, of which I produced much, much more than was requested, in an itemized fashion even.

see, now they uh, need money for art...

quote:

To make a prototype, we need art and design help. Though my partner and I have some art and design knowledge, we’re best at programming and writing. Some things can be programmed without too much front end work, but others really need a lot of testing, and we’re going to overwrite a lot of what we’ve done when we know what it will finally look like. (We’re still going to do it, because we have no choice, but having money for an artist would be awesome right now.)

oh i see where this is going.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

http://www.itsalljustaprogram.com/

underprivilegetale

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
There's a lot of nothing on that site.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

gently caress those ex-Starcitizen douches who bought the Descent name for their travesty of a "game". gently caress them forever.
Just quietly, I don't think the old devs and Interplay would be able to reach an amicable deal to use the name. Call it a hunch. Or call it Interplay refusing to pay them GOG/Steam royalties since 2007.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
i am so sad about descent

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Kins posted:

Just quietly, I don't think the old devs and Interplay would be able to reach an amicable deal to use the name. Call it a hunch. Or call it Interplay refusing to pay them GOG/Steam royalties since 2007.

Christ, gently caress Interplay.

How did the devs not sue them earlier?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Christ, gently caress Interplay.

How did the devs not sue them earlier?
Parallax Software (the studio behind Descent 1 & 2) split into two companies at some point, each run by one of the two co-founders (who reunited for this Kickstarter). One of those studios was Volition, which has been fairly busy over the years, even before factoring in the clusterfuck that was the THQ bankruptcy.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Speaking of, what's Volition up to right now? I actually assumed they folded after finishing SR4.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

Speaking of, what's Volition up to right now? I actually assumed they folded after finishing SR4.
They released an SR4 expandalone called Gat out of Hell last year. Nothing announced since, but they've been ramping up their social media activity with weekly livestreams and such, so they probably have something on the boil.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Kins posted:

Parallax Software (the studio behind Descent 1 & 2) split into two companies at some point, each run by one of the two co-founders (who reunited for this Kickstarter). One of those studios was Volition, which has been fairly busy over the years, even before factoring in the clusterfuck that was the THQ bankruptcy.

Parallax effectively split in two, but apparently it actually still exists as a legal entity, mainly for the purposes of receiving income from ongoing sales of old games.

Lady Naga posted:

Don't forget that Volition was sold to Koch Media and placed under the Deep Silver game publisher just before SR4 came out. I think SR4 performed respectably well, so Deep Silver's likely gonna let them do 5.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 25, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The Kins posted:

They released an SR4 expandalone called Gat out of Hell last year. Nothing announced since, but they've been ramping up their social media activity with weekly livestreams and such, so they probably have something on the boil.

Actual Volition didn't have much to do with Gat Out of Hell iirc

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

Actual Volition didn't have much to do with Gat Out of Hell iirc

I want to know if it was Volition or High Voltage we have to thank for this just swerving in out of nowhere halfway through.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm pretty sure High Voltage mostly handled the XB1/PS4 ports. I could be wrong, though.

MikeJF posted:

I want to know if it was Volition or High Voltage we have to thank for this just swerving in out of nowhere halfway through.
That'd be on Volition. Steve Jaros (SR4 creative director, now at Valve) loving loves Disney musicals.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I'm replaying Call Of Cthulhu Dark Corners Of The Earth right now and, at this moment, my dream Kickstarter would be for the Headfirst devs to crowdfund the projected sequel to it (Destiny's End). I'd be over the loving moon.