Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Goodpart posted:

This post is 100% wrong

Is it wrong if you're not talking about option selects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
yes

fnox
May 19, 2013

tier system makes no loving sense with the lp wins and loses.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

giogadi posted:

Has anyone been to the Folsom Street Foundry to play SF? How's the scene on Wednesdays? I feel like being social tonight but also wanna play video games, so this looks right up my alley right now

SF has a strong scene in like every game of you know where to look, FSF is the place to go for street fights

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Pomp posted:

SF has a strong scene in like every game of you know where to look, FSF is the place to go for street fights

Apparently not on Wednesdays though, it was closed :(

Tomorrow, then!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

giogadi posted:

Apparently not on Wednesdays though, it was closed :(

Tomorrow, then!

CTB is thursday nights!

[edit] LI Joe aka Agent 47 vs Sabin was some good poo poo. :wow:

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 25, 2016

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

:siren:CHECK YOUR loving PORTS, ASSHOLES:siren:

I've been struggling in the Super Bronze ghetto for the past week, winning thirty points here and there only to lose sixty the next match to teleporting Karin, and I was on the verge of just writing off online play entirely. After being matched up with the same Magical Disappearing Mika for the third time in a row I checked my TCP/IP settings and found out that they'd somehow been switched to dynamic IP. After fixing the problem I rocketed out of Super Bronze within the hour with a five or six game winstreak and I'm not even done for the night.

Anti-airs are a lot easier when characters don't go from grounded to the apex of their jump in one frame.

Links:

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/publishers/Capcom.htm
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Sarchasm posted:

I've been struggling in the Super Bronze ghetto for the past week, winning thirty points here and there only to lose sixty the next match to teleporting Karin, and I was on the verge of just writing off online play entirely. After being matched up with the same Magical Disappearing Mika for the third time in a row I checked my TCP/IP settings and found out that they'd somehow been switched to dynamic IP. After fixing the problem I rocketed out of Super Bronze within the hour with a five or six game winstreak and I'm not even done for the night.

Anti-airs are a lot easier when characters don't go from grounded to the apex of their jump in one frame.

Links:

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/publishers/Capcom.htm

Flowchart Karin involves teleports. Definitely gonna check my ports when I get home.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Ports have nothing to do with the latency of a connection (outside of the differences between TCP/UDP) and everything to do with whether you can actually make the connection in the first place. If you started getting less laggy matches once you opened your ports, it's either confirmation bias or something hilariously wrong with their implementation.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Ports have nothing to do with the latency of a connection (outside of the differences between TCP/UDP) and everything to do with whether you can actually make the connection in the first place. If you started getting less laggy matches once you opened your ports, it's either confirmation bias or something hilariously wrong with their implementation.

I'd imagine it'd help with matchmaking times.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sarchasm posted:

Links:

OR maybe you finally got matched up with a string of players who have good connections but are rear end at the game.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I think it was a NAT issue, honestly, and the only people I was getting matched with were oddball connections with low ping but high packet loss. Being in the same general pool as everyone else gives me access to more players, some of whom still teleport, but most of which are now playable.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
If you're on PC just alt tab and flip the lag back on them. If Bison can reflect fireballs then I can reflect lag. :colbert:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Agoat posted:

If you're on PC just alt tab and flip the lag back on them. If Bison can reflect fireballs then I can reflect lag. :colbert:

That trick never worked for me. I'll be curious to try it out now that my connection is sorted.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Even though my last post was dismissive, you should probably open those ports if you do any gaming on Steam on PC.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Even though my last post was dismissive, you should probably open those ports if you do any gaming on Steam on PC.

Your every post in this thread is dismissive, I think people are just used to it by now.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Sarchasm posted:

That trick never worked for me. I'll be curious to try it out now that my connection is sorted.

It has for me. It's the reason I stopped playing ranked and just play lobbies.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I just made some top 200 guy quit out of a casual match after perfecting him in the final round. When you aren't even top 1k, feels good man.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The steam reviews suggest people playing the pc game are really disappointed.

I've played it on the ps4, thought it was great, felt like good gameplay. Should I get it for the PC? Note, I dont have a ps4

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Madcosby posted:

I've played it on the ps4, thought it was great, felt like good gameplay. Should I get it for the PC? Note, I dont have a ps4

A few features are missing but are coming soon. It's a fun game and it can be pretty accessible.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Madcosby posted:

PC port's pretty good unless you want to customise key binds or use PS3/PS4 sticks without loving with third party programs.

The user reviews are mostly related to lovely launch servers and Capcom releasing the game in its unfinished state before their fiscal year ends.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It was less 'before the fiscal year ends' and more 'before Capcom Pro Tour starts' fwiw

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
So I get that Ryu is the classic starting character to learn the game and getgud. I am cool with committing to him for a while, but what is a good indicator that you can start looking at other characters without falling into all the standard issues with starting on characters like Vega or Dhalsim. I am only struggling to keep my super bronze now so I have a long way to go either way.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Got one of the biggest pieces of my new controller laser cut:

Obviously the layout and buttons are for playing some IIDX, but I'll be putting a joystick next to it and playing some street fighters.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

lost to alex meyers first match at wnf, i get snakeeyz second round cause he lost to afrocole.

~~socal~~

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ingenium posted:

So I get that Ryu is the classic starting character to learn the game and getgud. I am cool with committing to him for a while, but what is a good indicator that you can start looking at other characters without falling into all the standard issues with starting on characters like Vega or Dhalsim. I am only struggling to keep my super bronze now so I have a long way to go either way.

play who you want to play when you want to play them. it will help you know what to react to while you continue to main ryu.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

flatluigi posted:

It was less 'before the fiscal year ends' and more 'before Capcom Pro Tour starts' fwiw

Getting those numbers in for the end of fiscal is much more important than their videogame tournament.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

cams posted:

lost to alex meyers first match at wnf, i get snakeeyz second round cause he lost to afrocole.

~~socal~~

It's cool to see that you can whine about more than just the character you play

cams
Mar 28, 2003

burger time posted:

It's cool to see that you can whine about more than just the character you play
uh i lost cause laura is bad, dumbshit

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'd be loving ecstatic to get my poo poo pushed in by Valle and Snake Eyez.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong Alex

bhsman fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 25, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

bhsman posted:

I'd just like to play Street Fighter with them

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

cams posted:

~~socal~~

Man, if you have to go 0-2, that's the way to do it. Were either of your matches on stream?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

bhsman posted:

different alex but yeah, i'm looking forward to losing to snakeeyez. only played him once on sf4.

i beat him twice online when we played on the monday before the game came out though. we'll see.

Sarchasm posted:

Man, if you have to go 0-2, that's the way to do it. Were either of your matches on stream?
the meyers one was, haven't played snake yet. i did best against meyers in the first round when my buttons were wrong.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the meyers match was on the secondary stream, don't actually know who's running that one.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
cams you're catching a lot of poo poo for your attitude but I give mad props for showing up to an offline event and entering and loving playing. Good poo poo bro. You will learn so much so fast if you keep that up.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

thx dad but that's not why the people who are making GBS threads on me are doing it :)

snakeeyez destroyed me and agrees with me that laura/gief is a real poo poo matchup for laura

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

i went to wednesday night fights and all i learned was LAURA IS THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i went to wednesday night fights and all i learned was LAURA IS THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME

Snakeeyez agreed

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So what does Karin say during her super anyway my ears kinda suck. I can only make out behold! the final attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

cams posted:

thx dad but that's not why the people who are making GBS threads on me are doing it :)

snakeeyez destroyed me and agrees with me that laura/gief is a real poo poo matchup for laura

Noice, being a bag of poo poo to the only person in the thread who wants to be nice to you.