Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm not sure how so many people lose soldiers. I don't really save scum unless the game bugs out, which I feel entitles me to do so or unless I'm experimenting with something which I also feel warrants it (though that's more just a quick save quick load to undo usually) and I have a lot of missions with minimal sounds and rarely any casualties. I still run a fair expanded roster but not quite as much as I would like.

Well...I managed to lose a Psi-trooper once by finding out that FUSE of all goddamned abilities can miss when the loving psyker is suppressed.

"Oh, my wizard is suppressed, but no worries I'll just use said wizard to blow up the grenade the Muton suppressing him is carrying in his back pocket"

*Grenade explodes, destroys terrain around Muton, but the damage value comes up as "MISS!"*

"Oh, I guess that wasn't a grenade, it was just taco-night at the Muton barracks last night."

*Wizard then gets gutted by said Muton's bayonet next turn*

Admittedly I was a bit over-extended but I was expecting Fuse to be guaranteed damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I think it's simply that alien grenades that have a chance to miss. It occasionally happens when they use them too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Big Sean posted:

I kind of felt like the game didn't warn you enough about the danger of skulljacking.

I hear people say this, and I kind of wonder "well, given what happened the first time, why would expect something different to happen the second time?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Jabor posted:

I hear people say this, and I kind of wonder "well, given what happened the first time, why would expect something different to happen the second time?"

It doesn't really warn you the first time either.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Yami Fenrir posted:

It doesn't really warn you the first time either.

Which is what makes me laugh about everyone mocking the first timers who use the skulljack. It's meant to surprise you and possibly lose you a mission/few soldiers.

The second time you do it you should probably be prepared though.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have this weird thing in the game: when I spam the "Y" key to put everybody on Overwatch real quick, it works only for the first guy. When I try, even slower, to put the other soldiers on Overwatch there's just a "Negative Beep" sound in the game and I just have to skip overwatch for that turn. Is this a (known) bug or am I doing something stupid?

Also, am I correct that even with the Stock upgrade, Shred isn't applied if you miss (but still do 1 pt of damage thanks to the stock) ? If so, I can understand but that'd make me sad because I thought I was being smart.

E: Also also, is there any way to destroy/replace a room in the Avenger? I built two Power Generators but now I reached a room with the Exposed Coil and I'd like to remove one of the old rooms.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
With the overwatch thing, just hit another ability (like hunker down), cancel out of it and try to overwatch again.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
IMHO Deadshot is more of a Legendary skill, that scales well into the late game and provides higher critical chance than just shooting and hoping for a critical. I dont play Ironman and I can see how in that game type it would be unreliable since the early game is so dire, but just personal experience in playing standard Legendary, too often you NEED to kill/crit on certain targets in order to have a chance, and I just dont think Lightning hands scales all that well into the absurd hoards that the mid game/late game Legendary throws at you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gonna add a few more things to the pack before publishing the next release.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
I don't find the 25% penalty to be that punishing given how easy it is to overcap hit chance on a sharpshooter. With a PCS, a scope and an almost guarantee to always be on a roof somewhere you can have 90%+ chances to hit Archons even using deadshot.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

peak debt posted:

I don't find the 25% penalty to be that punishing given how easy it is to overcap hit chance on a sharpshooter. With a PCS, a scope and an almost guarantee to always be on a roof somewhere you can have 90%+ chances to hit Archons even using deadshot.

That's A LOT of prerequisites for a game where you're on the move a lot and quite often are unable to set up your sniper where you want to. Not to mention a lot of resources that are up to RNG. And even then it's really hard to get that magic 100% number.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I have to say - does anyone else feel a little disillusioned by what this game boils down to near the end game?

It sort of feels very flat, tactically. Granted it's been a while since my last Enemy Unknown playthrough, and I know that Long War screwed around with things significantly, but I feel like in EU there was actually a lot more decisions to make, and firefights seemed to last longer than a round. In this game I barely used suppression, and never really had to contend with overwatch (played on Commander).

My basic strategy for dealing with every pod was to shower it in grenades, then mop up what was left with any number of my significantly powerful soldier abilities. It felt like almost every single pod died the turn I encountered it. This seems kind of like a new focus for the game, and I'm not sure I like it. There's actually very little value in defensive stuff like smoke grenades now, since you just end up alpha striking every single enemy contact.

Maybe I've just gotten a lot better at xcom and I'm playing 'optimally' so to speak, but I felt a lot more tension in my EU classic ironman/long war playthroughs since contact tended to survive longer than a round.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Operant posted:

I have to say - does anyone else feel a little disillusioned by what this game boils down to near the end game?

It sort of feels very flat, tactically. Granted it's been a while since my last Enemy Unknown playthrough, and I know that Long War screwed around with things significantly, but I feel like in EU there was actually a lot more decisions to make, and firefights seemed to last longer than a round. In this game I barely used suppression, and never really had to contend with overwatch (played on Commander).

My basic strategy for dealing with every pod was to shower it in grenades, then mop up what was left with any number of my significantly powerful soldier abilities. It felt like almost every single pod died the turn I encountered it. This seems kind of like a new focus for the game, and I'm not sure I like it. There's actually very little value in defensive stuff like smoke grenades now, since you just end up alpha striking every single enemy contact.

Maybe I've just gotten a lot better at xcom and I'm playing 'optimally' so to speak, but I felt a lot more tension in my EU classic ironman/long war playthroughs since contact tended to survive longer than a round.

the game needs slightly bigger pods and larger patrol paths IMO, because when an extra pod shows up and you get stuck in a protracted firefight the game really shines at any point in the game. EU fell flat on it's face near the end though too.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm not sure how so many people lose soldiers. I don't really save scum unless the game bugs out, which I feel entitles me to do so or unless I'm experimenting with something which I also feel warrants it (though that's more just a quick save quick load to undo usually) and I have a lot of missions with minimal sounds and rarely any casualties. I still run a fair expanded roster but not quite as much as I would like.

I think I'm next going to experiment with pod sizes to even if out but on my last mission, a four pip I took eight dudes, mostly captain and lt, and killed 27 aliens, including my first codec and two pods of reinforcements. Something like 3 archons, three vipers, three officers, three mutons, 2 stun lancer, fourshield bearers, a couple of heavy MECs and then like six troopers and the codex? Three of the pods were activated when I placed the x4 and my trooper didn't have enough mobility to get to the EVAC and she remained unharmed through the grave of God, aid protocol and mimic beacons. The becomes were extra hilarious because I managed to place then on the roof of the facility and they'd get crowded by dudes and then my heavies would drop them to ground floor. I ended up using every consumable. Two acid bombs, two poison bombs, three or four plasma grenades, three mimic beacons. Some flashbangs, like four kill zone uses. Most of my combat prorocols, none of my medic protocols.

You're playing the game with two extra soldiers, which provides a huge advantage. Try the default squad size settings.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Beagle will be on the Firaxis livestream tomorrow!

https://twitter.com/FiraxisGames/status/702623950795366400

I hope he wears a Bradford sweater :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I expected Beagle to have better hair than that...thing. :negative:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pomp posted:

the game needs slightly bigger pods and larger patrol paths IMO, because when an extra pod shows up and you get stuck in a protracted firefight the game really shines at any point in the game. EU fell flat on it's face near the end though too.

I love the mod that activates the whole map when you activate any pod

it both makes more sense and forces me to use more defensive tactics

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I just finished my second campaign on C/I and had an absolute blast by playing aggressively, even recklessly once I got Predator armour. Alpha striking every pod one at a time does get boring but when you're up against 2 or even 3 pods at once you have to make really tough decisions and use all your defensive options to the max. Plus having more wounded troops at any one time forces you to develop a broader squad which in turn means taking lower level soldiers on missions which makes things even tougher.

Having said that, I still had to impose some restrictions on myself to keep it challenging - no more than one psi-op per mission, no more than one beacon, no buying high-level soldiers. I doubt I'll ever do Legend just because I find playing optimally so boring.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hhhhmmmm

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SynthOrange posted:

Gonna add a few more things to the pack before publishing the next release.

Hah, thanks for reading my mind.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
He needs to fix the animation where soldiers slap the magazine into the assault rifle that's really unsafe :mad:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

While we're at peak sperg, can we just change hacking to guessing that all the advent passwords are just a variation of "password1". I feel like its not realistic enough in my game about shooting loving SPACE ALIENS.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

That's to partner up with my 'Change bullets to old issues of MAD" mod.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

dogstile posted:

While we're at peak sperg, can we just change hacking to guessing that all the advent passwords are just a variation of "password1". I feel like its not realistic enough in my game about shooting loving SPACE ALIENS.

We have crowds of goons going apeshit over mods that add wizard hats and stuff. Lets not get too smug about someone's zero effort pedantry.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
I have had a few campaigns now, where upon saving and resuming, my monthly funding drops to a ridiculously low level.

Just started a fresh campaign to test, the first save was out of the first mission. I have western north america as home base (154$) in funding. Unlocked the second area, east of it. Reloaded a game after having gone to bed, was pre-prepped for a retaliation mission. When I get out of it my monthly funding is now down to 54$ Despite having 2 areas unlocked.

If it isn't a bug then someone help explain what is causing the precipitous drop in monthly funding as this is the third campaign I have had it happen in now, perhaps more.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

poptart_fairy posted:

I expected Beagle to have better hair than that...thing. :negative:

You and me both. I need to get him to retake that when my already handicapped hair hasn't decided to go completely off the rails for the day. I look like Dwight Schrute in that pic, it kills me.

I'm so glad we can now abuse the Clown in a new game. Squeaky shoes with accompanying noises is going to be a necessary addition. Or a voicepack that just goes "HONK"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Feonir posted:

I have had a few campaigns now, where upon saving and resuming, my monthly funding drops to a ridiculously low level.

Just started a fresh campaign to test, the first save was out of the first mission. I have western north america as home base (154$) in funding. Unlocked the second area, east of it. Reloaded a game after having gone to bed, was pre-prepped for a retaliation mission. When I get out of it my monthly funding is now down to 54$ Despite having 2 areas unlocked.

If it isn't a bug then someone help explain what is causing the precipitous drop in monthly funding as this is the third campaign I have had it happen in now, perhaps more.

It's possible that you are being hosed over by upkeep costs. There's a budget screen somewhere that should give you a breakdown of where the money is going.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Operant posted:

Pretty much. I had some nice fights when cockups or aggression pulled 2-3 pods, but once the initial shine wore off I found myself looking forward to finishing the game so I could get back to my Long War campaign. The final battle was pretty good though, more stuff like that would've been good. I'll come back it it when patches/DLC switch stuff up or if any good mods appear though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Beagle posted:

You and me both. I need to get him to retake that when my already handicapped hair hasn't decided to go completely off the rails for the day. I look like Dwight Schrute in that pic, it kills me.

Ahahaha. We all have bad hair days man, it just caught me off-guard. :shobon:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 25, 2016

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Fangz posted:

It's possible that you are being hosed over by upkeep costs. There's a budget screen somewhere that should give you a breakdown of where the money is going.

That is 100% of what it is, turns out that laboratory and workshop for Sci and Engineers run 75$ a month each for upkeep. Good lord. Thanks, this one had been bothering the hell out of me. Goddamn expensive eggheads.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Yeah the laboratory is not worth on so many levels. It costs 100 supplies, 3 power, a base slot and 25 supplies per month. Meanwhile you can get an additional scientist that does the same thing for 180 supplies or 90 intel.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Moola posted:

I love the mod that activates the whole map when you activate any pod

it both makes more sense and forces me to use more defensive tactics

...how? I'm having a hard enough time keeping up on Legend where they just turn off pod nudging, how the hell do you handle every pod being active at the same time?

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

poptart_fairy posted:

Ahahaha. We all have bad hair days man, it just caught me off-guard. :shobon:

:shobon:

Btw, ya'll should check out the MGSV ports if you haven't already. They look drat awesome.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631968536

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Beagle posted:

Go bald man, bald men with beards who aren't fat look pretty good.

poptart_fairy posted:

We have crowds of goons going apeshit over mods that add wizard hats and stuff. Lets not get too smug about someone's zero effort pedantry.

I mock everyone equally :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey what was that I think I read about Kill Zone consuming 1 unit of ammo just to activate? Could explain my sniper's failure to KZ everything I expected.

It does, it shows a bit of ammo flashing when you're setting it up. So a three round magazine will fire on two targets.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I will say, the endgame victory-lapping is honestly pretty short if you're finding it a little too cruisy. The critical path to unlock the finale is three plot missions, two skulljackings, and a half-dozen shadow chamber techs, and you'll be at least halfway through that before you get to anything that could reasonably be called "endgame". It only really drags if you're dicking around trying to minmax your soldiers well beyond the point of reasonableness.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Beagle posted:

Btw, ya'll should check out the MGSV ports if you haven't already. They look drat awesome.

drat those look nice. I wish they were a little more futuristic/tactilol though (this is XCOM after all) but that's really nice.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Beagle posted:

this is fully loving sick holy hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Beagle posted:

They look good, but where's the sneaking suit or combat armor.

Should totally be options for Spider/Wraith and EXO/WAR suits, respectively, too.