Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The plan is to make everything landable eventually, even Earth.

Mars has a breathable atmosphere and life on it though, so it's way down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Have they hinted what the next big thing is after Horizons/Season 1? I'm guessing walkable ships/stations probably?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
If you get interdicted by security just submit. When they start to scan you target them and deploy hard points, this seems to stop the scan. Then you can just run away with your missions intact.

Although the sensible way to make slave money is never to even leave Robigo and just scam the bulletin board. I'm up about 350m from doing this so far.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Akion posted:

Have they hinted what the next big thing is after Horizons/Season 1? I'm guessing walkable ships/stations probably?
No. We've got a vague idea, but nothing concrete. My guess is they'll do atmospheres first, then maybe water worlds, then ambulatory stuff. Life bearing planets is probably going to be dead last, because you need all that other stuff just to get started on them.

We didn't even know multi-crew was going to be a thing in Horizons until relatively recently.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
loving lol this week's 'bring metals to build station' CG is at a loving outpost :frontear:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You think maybe that's deliberate?

It's one way to stop Space Romney's dominating the CG's with their Anacondas.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Uh real Spacy Romney's have moved on to Cutters.

(I wish I had checked this out before arriving in-system :negative:)

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

No. We've got a vague idea, but nothing concrete. My guess is they'll do atmospheres first, then maybe water worlds, then ambulatory stuff. Life bearing planets is probably going to be dead last, because you need all that other stuff just to get started on them.

We didn't even know multi-crew was going to be a thing in Horizons until relatively recently.

That makes sense I suppose. Ambulatory stuff will have a lot behind it since there really isn't anything to do right now even if you could walk around stations. Having more stuff you can buy for your ship at vendor stalls would be cool, I guess. I think I remember Braben saying the goal was for you to be able to land on a random planet and go hunt animals and poo poo so that'd be neat. I want to go hunt Space Buffalo or something. I guess that's the plan with Star Citizen too, but at least Elite exists?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish posted:

It didn't stop us with the Christmas CG.

Though it probably has more to do with the fact that bringing metals to build a station is kind of pointless if the station is already there.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Akion posted:

That makes sense I suppose. Ambulatory stuff will have a lot behind it since there really isn't anything to do right now even if you could walk around stations. Having more stuff you can buy for your ship at vendor stalls would be cool, I guess. I think I remember Braben saying the goal was for you to be able to land on a random planet and go hunt animals and poo poo so that'd be neat. I want to go hunt Space Buffalo or something. I guess that's the plan with Star Citizen too, but at least Elite exists?
I could be wrong.

They're putting the character creator in Horizons, that might mean they're gearing towards at least some walking around gameplay first.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Actually they're moving to one of the other large stations in system when the CG's go live later today.

The rich get richer :newt:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

It didn't stop us with the Christmas CG.

Though it probably has more to do with the fact that bringing metals to build a station is kind of pointless if the station is already there.

If this new CG works like all the other station-build CGs it's for another station somewhere else, which will only be added later, after the CG is over. I know this is kind of stating the obvious, but I for the life of me can't interpret what you wrote differently, so apparently you didn't know this. :shrug:

(On the other hand, it would be nice if there were some sort of space building site and you had to fly over there to drop your metals. Programming shouldn't be an issue, there are already those annoying NPCs who want to buy your stuff, just copy + paste that for this kind of thing and Frontier should be good.)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The system is LHS 3447 and the new station will be closer to the jump in point than the existing ones.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The system is LHS 3447 and the new station will be closer to the jump in point than the existing ones.

I sure hope this isn't Frontier's way of saying "Oh poo poo, we don't know how to implement short jumps" and instead starting to plaster new, closer stations everywhere.

The next station will be Hutton Orbital 2.0, hanging around the sun at 0,22 ls

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Eh I think it's more that it's a starter system and be distance is a long-standing complaint.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eh I think it's more that it's a starter system and be distance is a long-standing complaint.

I was joking

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

KM Scorchio posted:

If you get interdicted by security just submit. When they start to scan you target them and deploy hard points, this seems to stop the scan. Then you can just run away with your missions intact.

Although the sensible way to make slave money is never to even leave Robigo and just scam the bulletin board. I'm up about 350m from doing this so far.

Don't stop to do this before running, because it doesn't work 100% of the time. Do it while you're already boosting away, as an extra measure. Unless you're planning to turn and shoot, your first move in an interdiction should always be to start putting that magic 1.5km between you and the scanner.

Can someone write an idiot's guide to spoofing the Robigo board? There's been a lot of excellent tips itt from Bman and others, but no one's consolidated it all yet.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Don't stop to do this before running, because it doesn't work 100% of the time. Do it while you're already boosting away, as an extra measure. Unless you're planning to turn and shoot, your first move in an interdiction should always be to start putting that magic 1.5km between you and the scanner.

Can someone write an idiot's guide to spoofing the Robigo board? There's been a lot of excellent tips itt from Bman and others, but no one's consolidated it all yet.

Hmm, I've never had it fail but yeah starting running first isn't a bad shout.

This is the advice I followed for Robigo...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324&pagenumber=151&perpage=40#post455660832

Plus these handy tips...

BMan posted:

There is an element of luck in this, yeah. After making a half billion in Robigo, I learned some additional helpful facts about scumming the bulletin board:

- "Sticking" the missions only works for the Open bulletin board.
- When switching between Open and Solo to stick the missions, you don't have to open the bulletin board in Solo.
- Switching between Private Group and Solo repeatedly (NOT Open) generates new random missions. If there are no good missions in Open, do this instead while waiting for the missions to cycle in Open.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So Frontier is considering naming planets, suns, stations as a microtransaction.

Interesting.

quote:

The development team are now hard at work on “The Engineers” - the next major expansion in the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season, so as we did in previous releases we’re taking a break from Michael’s regular weekly dev updates.
Instead, over the coming weeks we’ll be going into more detail on Horizons 2.1 The Engineers in the newsletter sent to you every Friday, and we’ll also be reviving our sneak peeks.
This week we want to share with you something we’ve been thinking about for some time, in response to the many requests we’ve had since the Kickstarter.
Naming NPCs, renaming planets and even having a named surface marker to commemorate a special person, thing or event, are all things you’ve been asking for. We are considering adding these items and more to the Frontier Store, including star system naming and creation and naming of new surface starports. We would love to know your opinion on this, and gauge interest.
In order to keep these items special we would limit the availability of each, and if it works well, we would have a batch in each future expansion too.

Also sneak peeks coming are back! :neckbeard:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

So Frontier is considering naming planets, suns, stations as a microtransaction.

Interesting.

Dickbutt-336

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Magmarashi posted:

Dickbutt-336

I guess chances are better to get Butte Hold into the game (Battltech reference).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for the advice and links - EDDB in particular is incredibly helpful. Upgraded to an Adder, and with a cluster of courier/trading missions that all kept me in the same general area, I've finally hit the six-digit credits mark, in spite of my constantly plowing all available credits into upgraded ship modules because drat, the gap between E rank modules and D rank modules is huge. Now I've gotta figure out what to do with that 200k credits.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I guess chances are better to get Butte Hold into the game (Battltech reference).
They already removed Cox Ring, and that was just a happy procedural accident.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

They already removed Cox Ring, and that was just a happy procedural accident.

Butts Port still exists.

Edit: Or Butz.. can't remember the exact name but it got a chuckle out of me when I docked there to fuel up on my way to Okinura.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 25, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Haha, I had no idea.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Libluini posted:

If this new CG works like all the other station-build CGs it's for another station somewhere else, which will only be added later, after the CG is over. I know this is kind of stating the obvious, but I for the life of me can't interpret what you wrote differently, so apparently you didn't know this. :shrug:

(On the other hand, it would be nice if there were some sort of space building site and you had to fly over there to drop your metals. Programming shouldn't be an issue, there are already those annoying NPCs who want to buy your stuff, just copy + paste that for this kind of thing and Frontier should be good.)

I was under the mistaken impression the outposts served as the "base" of of the station.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I would only be down with naming stars if it only applied to procedural ones. I'd rather keep the real star names and catalog designations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Luneshot posted:

I would only be down with naming stars if it only applied to procedural ones. I'd rather keep the real star names and catalog designations.

I want to make fake procedurally named stars like X32 TTU8.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't that be X35 TTU8?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LCL-Dead posted:

Shouldn't that be X35 TTU8?

Full mirrored is less easy to notice.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Interesting.

quote:

The development team are now hard at work on “The Engineers” - the next major expansion in the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season, so as we did in previous releases we’re taking a break from Michael’s regular weekly dev updates.
Instead, over the coming weeks we’ll be going into more detail on Horizons 2.1 The Engineers in the newsletter sent to you every Friday, and we’ll also be reviving our sneak peeks.
This week we want to share with you something we’ve been thinking about for some time, in response to the many requests we’ve had since the Kickstarter.
Naming NPCs, renaming planets and even having a named surface marker to commemorate a special person, thing or event, are all things you’ve been asking for. We are considering adding these items and more to the Frontier Store, including star system naming and creation and naming of new surface starports. We would love to know your opinion on this, and gauge interest.
In order to keep these items special we would limit the availability of each, and if it works well, we would have a batch in each future expansion too.

This is actually pretty cool I think. Because for all some people will splash out to have ten surface ports for their 5 player organisation, with restraint you could create a single HQ with a proper buzz of activity :shobon:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

I would be down with this if I could get a cut every time a celestial object discovered by me is named.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

It's interesting and I hope they go with it. I mean it would go a long way to make the galaxy lived in. I think it's funny that there are systems with billions of people and the planet names are still generic. Like there's this terraformed planet that's home to a billion people, I'm sure they don't go "I'm from LHS 2151 3a" they have surely named the planet.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 25, 2016

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Time to think up more frog puns?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

It's interesting and I hope they go with it. I mean it would go a long way to make the galaxy lived in. I think it's funny that there are systems with billions of people and the planet names are still generic. Like there's this terraformed planet that's home to a billion people, I'm sure they don't go "I'm from LHS 2151 3a" they have surely named the planet.

I'm from Stapled Peacock Flesh.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Interesting.

I'd be fine with this as a Microtransaction, the best option I think would be they allow you to only name stuff you'd discovered and tagged for yourself.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mr_jolly posted:

I'd be fine with this as a Microtransaction, the best option I think would be they allow you to only name stuff you'd discovered and tagged for yourself.

That would be the best option. It'll also encourage more people to explore, which is an added bonus.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is there a planet in 63 G with at least three moons? We name that one Goat.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I've never seen cops at an outpost, they're totally devoid of security. Presumably for this reason.

You know what's fun? You take a smuggling mission and don't get interdicted at all for like an hour. The target system doesn't even have any cops anywhere near you on the scanner, and certainly not coming in your direction. When you get to your target station you're completely alone, the scanner is empty. NIce! So you drop into normal space, and then 5 seconds later a magic teleporting space cop drops in behind you and scans you before you can dock. :frontear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rah! posted:

You know what's fun? You take a smuggling mission and don't get interdicted at all for like an hour. The target system doesn't even have any cops anywhere near you on the scanner, and certainly not coming in your direction. When you get to your target station you're completely alone, the scanner is empty. NIce! So you drop into normal space, and then 5 seconds later a magic teleporting space cop drops in behind you and scans you before you can dock. :frontear:

It happened on one of my first turn ins from a robigo run. Like literally warped in as I had my landing gear out and I was about to finish touching down on the pad. There was literally nothing I could have done to stop the scan from finishing, I wasn't even mad. Just dumbfounded that something like that could happen.

• Locked thread