Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Waves' IR-1 convo reverb is on super sale for $29 today only.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/ir1-convolution-reverb

Back up to $249 now. I grabbed it, didn't realize at first that there's a separate library of ~100 impulse responses you can grab for free. Given that the stock 4 spaces are pretty nice sounding, I'm feeling like I got way more than my money's worth out of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Although I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the fact that Waves' installers are poo poo garbage by idiots. Seriously got to the point of thinking I might want to pirate the software I had just bought instead of installing it from their poo poo Waves Central app, but then I remembered I have an older version of their installation package.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have been pleasantly surprised by Arturia's new licence manager not loving ruining everything, to be quite honest.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Trig Discipline posted:

Waves' installers are poo poo garbage by idiots.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm running OS X 10.8 (or maybe it's 10.7), my Firestudio 2626 is working perfectly fine, but it's not officially supported on the latest OS's, so I can't really upgrade my audio partition on my mac. And guess what installer isn't compatible with my current OS?

Thanks, Waves. True, I was mainly going to use it for that free plugin they offered months ago, but at least now I know that, as it stands, I can't buy anything of theirs unless I want to risk the OS upgrade. And since I'm actually making money off of my audio now, that's a no-go. Everything stays the same, for now.

I would sincerely consider ditching OS X for Win7 or something, if it wasn't for Logic.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

LordPants posted:

I have been pleasantly surprised by Arturia's new licence manager not loving ruining everything, to be quite honest.

I'm still having it loving up Prophet V license the last time I tried it couple of weeks ago. Randomly changes to init patch and launches a nag screen.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm running OS X 10.8 (or maybe it's 10.7), my Firestudio 2626 is working perfectly fine, but it's not officially supported on the latest OS's, so I can't really upgrade my audio partition on my mac. And guess what installer isn't compatible with my current OS?

Thanks, Waves. True, I was mainly going to use it for that free plugin they offered months ago, but at least now I know that, as it stands, I can't buy anything of theirs unless I want to risk the OS upgrade. And since I'm actually making money off of my audio now, that's a no-go. Everything stays the same, for now.

I would sincerely consider ditching OS X for Win7 or something, if it wasn't for Logic.

Yeah I'm at 10.9 forever because my interface doesn't support anything past that. I only went up from 10.8 because the latest updates for Logic needed a newer OS and there was a lot of cool poo poo in that update.
Hoping they don't make me move another point release further anytime soon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

Yeah I'm at 10.9 forever because my interface doesn't support anything past that. I only went up from 10.8 because the latest updates for Logic needed a newer OS and there was a lot of cool poo poo in that update.
Hoping they don't make me move another point release further anytime soon.

You have NO idea how much I want to be using Logic X. It's insane. I mean, I still have Camel Audio's original Alchemy, but... well, I don't think I need to explain to anyone here how much I'd rather be using it as a default, somewhat souped-up native Logic plugin :negative:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's the current thread opinion on UVI Falcon? I was under the impression that it was in some way built off of or inherited some functionality from Mach Five, but it seems way more in depth than that. Honestly the more I read about it the less sure I am about what it is. Is it a Kontakt style sample engine? Is it an Omnisphere sample-morphing style thing?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the current thread opinion on UVI Falcon? I was under the impression that it was in some way built off of or inherited some functionality from Mach Five, but it seems way more in depth than that. Honestly the more I read about it the less sure I am about what it is. Is it a Kontakt style sample engine? Is it an Omnisphere sample-morphing style thing?
UVI developed MachFive for MOTU. No one knows what happened behind the scenes, but it appears that things fizzled between MOTU and UVI, and UVI released their own update to the application with their own branding. (Interestingly, I've heard MOTU was just as surprised as the general public was when Falcon was released.) Anyway, Falcon basically is MachFive version Four.

Falcon does have a powerful Kontakt-like sample engine, but unlike Kontakt it also includes a bunch of synthesis oscillators and a much richer effects section. It also offers more synthesis and sample manipulation methods than MachFive. You can add samplers and synth oscillators to the same patch, creating complex layered sounds. It also supports scripting like Kontakt does, but the scripting (and really the tool itself) are much more sparsely documented than the Kontakt stuff is. I imagine third party developers who want to write for the UVI engine get a lot of help directly from UVI. The information on how to do the sophisticated stuff simply is not available publicly.

Also like Kontakt, UVI offers the free UVI Workstation player which can play all UVI-authored libraries and licensed third-party libraries. Full Falcon is required for playing unlicensed third-party or user content.

While I own Omnisphere I've barely used it and I'm not sure what you're referencing when you talk about "sample-morphing". Do you mean like morphing between different patches a la Kore or FM8?

Here's one thing about Falcon: It's a lot more powerful than any of UVI's own libraries would indicate. Most of their libraries- even the slick ones with cool UIs- only use one or two layers, and they're mostly purely sample-based. There's a whole lot of untapped potential in falcon. (It even has a drum synth engine!) That Simon Stockhausen/Patchpool guy is really trying to push the synth to its limits. His stuff is more experimental/cinematic than what I need/use, but his work is the best example so far of the kind of crazy poo poo you can do with Falcon: http://www.patchpool.de/falcon_air.html

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 22, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Maybe a long shot but I just got a Mac and installed Guitar Rig 5 on it. The drag-and-drop feature doesn't seem to work. For example, when I want to map an LFO onto a control by dragging and dropping, nothing happens. Am I misunderstanding something?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Expand the bottom of the lfo by clicking the arrow icon on the right of the lfo device, then drag one of the four ticks to what knob you want to modulate. The slider next to the tick is how strongly the lfo will affect the chosen parameter.

Try it on gain with an inverted lfo at the same rate on the volume on one of the distortion pedals, useless but pretty fun! Super fast and very gentle lfo on short delay times (less than 20 ms) can create some cool noises, you can pretend you're in Skinny Puppy if you sing through a delay set up like that.

This drag the tick method works on all the modulators like the envelope too: the envelope is good for reversy violin noises or making your own autowah.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks, but I already know how to use the feature. I used it all the time on my last machine.

The problem is that on my new machine, drag and drop simply doesn't work. I drag a tick to a knob and nothing happens. It doesn't assign it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Oh right. No idea then dude, sorry.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a name for the sort of effect like Guitar Rig's Resochord? At high decay, it essentially makes it a sort of drone and I'd really love to get some idea of how it works so I could (potentially) create something similar.

I don't play guitar, but here's a short recording I did to show it off from like 2 years ago https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/gitarfuns

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I just discovered the fun to be had by routing a drum synth to an arpeggiator set to random.

Hours of fun for fans of generative/random beats and musically challenged folk like me.

Here's Live's native arp poking Nepheton.

With some effects.

And with a housey beat.

Yay arpeggiators! :unsmith:

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 25, 2016

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Popcorn posted:

Maybe a long shot but I just got a Mac and installed Guitar Rig 5 on it. The drag-and-drop feature doesn't seem to work. For example, when I want to map an LFO onto a control by dragging and dropping, nothing happens. Am I misunderstanding something?

I'm running GR4 + Ableton Live + Macbook w/Yosemite, drag & drop works okay here.

Are you using the trackpad on a Macbook? Using three finger drag for drag & drop? If you're new to MacOS some of the trackpad gestures aren't immediately obvious.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

h_double posted:

I'm running GR4 + Ableton Live + Macbook w/Yosemite, drag & drop works okay here.

Are you using the trackpad on a Macbook? Using three finger drag for drag & drop? If you're new to MacOS some of the trackpad gestures aren't immediately obvious.

Thanks, but this doesn't seem to be it either. Three-finger dragging and dropping is disabled by default on newer Macs (you just click+drag like on PC). I'm able to drag and drop stuff, but when I drop a control in Guitar Rig, nothing happens. I enabled the three-finger drag-and-drop just in case, but it makes no difference.

Baffling. I guess I'll ask NI.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 26, 2016

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Popcorn posted:

I guess I'll ask NI.

:rip:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

OK, next question.

I bought an orchestral string pack that works in Kontakt, but Kontakt keeps telling me it's just running in demo mode. I was under the impression that the Kontakt player itself was free, and it was the libraries that you pay for. Am I missing something?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Popcorn posted:

OK, next question.

I bought an orchestral string pack that works in Kontakt, but Kontakt keeps telling me it's just running in demo mode. I was under the impression that the Kontakt player itself was free, and it was the libraries that you pay for. Am I missing something?

Is this an Embertone library? If so, you need to start NI Service Center and put in your serial for the library.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

No, it's Aria. Can't find any info on their site about licensing.

The message I get from Kontakt is "This instrument is in demo mode", suggesting the instrument is the problem, not Kontakt. However, when I click Activate, it tells me I need to activate Kontakt, not the instrument.

I can only use the library a few times before it stops working and I have to restart.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
There are two types of Kontakt packs.

DRM-encoded "licensed" packs can be played freely in Kontakt & Kontakt Player. The sample developer pays a large fee to NI for this, although the amount can be somewhat negotiated if they have cred and can "guarantee" certain sales volumes.

Unencoded/unlicensed packs can only be played in the full version of Kontakt. Kontakt Player will nag about upgrading, and will only give you 15 minutes of usage - and saving is locked out - before a restart is required.

NI's business model, folks.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

ynohtna posted:

There are two types of Kontakt packs.

DRM-encoded "licensed" packs can be played freely in Kontakt & Kontakt Player. The sample developer pays a large fee to NI for this, although the amount can be somewhat negotiated if they have cred and can "guarantee" certain sales volumes.

Unencoded/unlicensed packs can only be played in the full version of Kontakt. Kontakt Player will nag about upgrading, and will only give you 15 minutes of usage - and saving is locked out - before a restart is required.

NI's business model, folks.

Sheesh. Thanks for the info.

I feel like the whole music software biz works on a bizarre business model generally. Everything's hugely overpriced and a nightmare to license and install. I think if they just made things affordable to the average hobbyist a lot of bullshit would go away.

I have nothing to base this on whatsoever.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Popcorn posted:

I feel like the whole music software biz works on a bizarre business model generally. Everything's hugely overpriced and a nightmare to license and install. I think if they just made things affordable to the average hobbyist a lot of bullshit would go away.

The hilarious thing is that NI's license management is probably one of the least annoying. Instead you could be dealing with cheaply made physical dongles or a key embedded in an image file format or some nonsense.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol I posted a bad review on Waves' website due to their garbage copy protection and they deleted it. :-/

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Trig Discipline posted:

lol I posted a bad review on Waves' website due to their garbage copy protection and they deleted it. :-/

hahaha, mongoloids. gently caress waves.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Same thing, I think, happened to Glenn Fricker when he poo poo on one of Mesa's products.

https://youtu.be/EGo9d2W7N-8

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Same thing, I think, happened to Glenn Fricker when he poo poo on one of Mesa's products.

https://youtu.be/EGo9d2W7N-8
Haha, that guy's a trip.

Wide Blue Sound just released a new Kontakt instrument called Eclipse. It's the darker counterpart to Orbit, which someone mentioned here a week or two ago. I just ordered both Eclipse and Orbit as a bundle (downloading now), along with Output Signal.

Orbit trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B67iLi9A_k

Eclipse trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCirtMFnEvU

Signal trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg_6lqhkpUM

All three of these instruments are about alternating between different layers of an instrument, which is an idea I'm really interested in.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Popcorn posted:

I feel the same way, but I can only reason that it's because people actually put up with it :v: NI's business model is insane but they're the first to be recommended when people ask about what plugins to get, and people continue to support developers with insane DRM like iLok. If this was any other type of software nerds would be up in arms in a jiffy, but the main userbase is musicians (?!) and the market is fresh enough that the users just assume that's how it's supposed to be.

This is pretty "man yells at cloud" territory though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I feel the same way, but I can only reason that it's because people actually put up with it :v: NI's business model is insane but they're the first to be recommended when people ask about what plugins to get, and people continue to support developers with insane DRM like iLok. If this was any other type of software nerds would be up in arms in a jiffy, but the main userbase is musicians (?!) and the market is fresh enough that the users just assume that's how it's supposed to be.

This is pretty "man yells at cloud" territory though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I worked for several years in software development (not music) and we put a huge amount of energy into making the trial and licensing process as painless as possible. So I'm particularly sensitive to this bullshit.

At one point I tried to buy EZDrummer but the goddamn "buy" button didn't work. Just did nothing. I Tweeted them about it. Their response was "Our engineers recommend Firefox." I was using Chrome, the most popular browser in the world. But I guess their engineers like Firefox.

Likewise, I recently got some Soundtoys plug-ins and the iLok stuff is a loving nightmare. The installer asked me on the final step if I wanted to install iLok, without explaining what it was or that it was necessary. Of course I declined, because who wants to install random crap? When I ran the plug-in in Ableton, it triggered cascading error messages.

At least it didn't have to use a loving dongle. Jesus Christ.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Komplete 50% off

edit: wait, that might just be a crossgrade thing. Sorry, email didnt say.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Komplete 50% off

Yeah it's crossgrade/upgrade only. I'm hoping that means 11 is coming soon.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah it's crossgrade/upgrade only. I'm hoping that means 11 is coming soon.

I have to imagine it'll be out soon, and include Reaktor 6. That's the only big update I'm actually waiting for.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Komplete 50% off

Yes, but it's for all possible upgrades/crossgrades to K10/K10U. I'm betting Komplete 11 gets announced in April.

Regarding Native Instruments and their Kontakt licensing, I look at it this way: In Kontakt they have a very mature, sophisticated sampler platform. It's the single most efficient sampler engine on the market right now- compare it to that lovely Best Service engine or the East West stuff... UVI's engine is probably second best (and even more powerful in terms of overall capabilities) but still doesn't match Kontakt for performance under heavy load. NI doesn't have to open their engine up at all to third party developers, but they do- and it's not free. On top of that, the copy protection they do provide is (in my opinion) the best on the market, in terms of user friendliness. It's tied to your user account vs. simply to your specific PC hardware. You don't have to worry about burning through activations, and you can have the software installed on multiple PCs without having to move a physical dongle around.

If you're a third-party instrument developer, you CAN just write your own sampler engine. That's hard as hell and it won't be as good as Kontakt. You can also license one of the other third party platforms out there (none of the commercial sampler platforms are free; they all involve some form of licensing). Or even go the SFZ route, for which there's some open source options... but they're not very good, and don't offer most of the convenience or copy protection options that the commercial platforms offer.

The Kontakt Player-certified thing is confusing and sometimes frustrating for end users, but I don't think NI are bad guys for wanting to license their technology.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
my issue with NI is that I cant sell any of the maschine stuff I've bought. A real bummer. The expansions i mean, I guess since I bought most on sale I cant transfer them? slightly gay.

other than that, I agree with most of what you said.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

my issue with NI is that I cant sell any of the maschine stuff I've bought. A real bummer. The expansions i mean, I guess since I bought most on sale I cant transfer them? slightly gay.
You can't transfer Not-for-resale or Educational licenses, but sales alone don't generally disqualify you from being able to transfer (although crossgrades/upgrades can be a complication). I almost never pay full price for Maschine expansions and the only ones I'm not allowed to transfer (* with one exception) are 4 NFR licenses that NI gifted me in thanks for a blog post I wrote.

Anyway, you can check which of your products qualify for transfer by logging in to your NI account, then going to My Account > My Products and serials > More > License Transfer > Transfer a License.

It lists every product you own, and will say "not transferable" if there's a restriction.

* And here's that exception. On Black Friday, I ordered a bunch of Maschine expansions, and most of them were on sale:

In my NI account, all of those expansions are transferable except for Velvet Lounge. I don't know what's up with that. I wonder if there's some kind of license restriction with the content creator? That's really weird. I'm gonna ask around about that.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Radiapathy posted:

You can't transfer Not-for-resale or Educational licenses, but sales alone don't generally disqualify you from being able to transfer (although crossgrades/upgrades can be a complication). I almost never pay full price for Maschine expansions and the only ones I'm not allowed to transfer (* with one exception) are 4 NFR licenses that NI gifted me in thanks for a blog post I wrote.

Anyway, you can check which of your products qualify for transfer by logging in to your NI account, then going to My Account > My Products and serials > More > License Transfer > Transfer a License.

It lists every product you own, and will say "not transferable" if there's a restriction.

* And here's that exception. On Black Friday, I ordered a bunch of Maschine expansions, and most of them were on sale:

In my NI account, all of those expansions are transferable except for Velvet Lounge. I don't know what's up with that. I wonder if there's some kind of license restriction with the content creator? That's really weird. I'm gonna ask around about that.

oh wow thats really weird, I read your post and decided to check again, and now suddenly they are ALL transferable. They were'nt the last time I checked this page. Strange!

I'm glad I checked, thanks! Now I'll get some more out of an eventual sale.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

There's probably five or six different threads I could post this question in, but hey this seems like as good as any of them: anybody have a midi controller with a bunch of rotary encoders that work well as a knob box for synth plugins? I've been looking at the Behringer BCR (which I'm not wild about) and the MIDI Fighter Twister (which is $$$) but I'd love to hear some other recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TIL that Kanye West pirates plugins

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/704873833564659712