Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I am so, so grateful to have a show that had a real ending.

This really can't be stressed enough. The vast majority of kid's shows either get two episodes notice and have to cobble together an ending on the fly or just sort of stop. I'm really glad Hirch got a whole season to wrap up all of his loose ends.

Say Nothing posted:

Also, Soos got Melody a job.

Urge... to change avatar... rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pksage posted:

Alex Hirsch intentionally did a lot of red herrings, both in-show and out-of-show.

Poor Gompers, so forgotten that he didn't even get to show up in the ending.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

pksage posted:

Alex Hirsch intentionally did a lot of red herrings, both in-show and out-of-show.

One of the most notable probably being the fake leaked image.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

Poor Gompers, so forgotten that he didn't even get to show up in the ending.

He DID get to stomp around weirdmaggedon as a giant

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Octorok posted:

Was this ever addressed?

pksage posted:

I hope this was one of those things they intended to write about but never did because of the shortened seasons/time constraints rather than a red herring. He clearly made the wheel and all these little easter eggs for people to find and get all :tinfoil: over, but he never seemed too clear himself on what any of it actually meant. If it were an intentional red herring though it seems like they'd be punishing the kind of people they're catering to.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I still have to wonder if he didn't change a few things after that imagine leaked, or if he planned it like this from the beginning. Originally he could have had McGucket have six fingers, and he could have written the journals while working with Ford. That would make the wheel a lot tidier with McGucket being the six fingered hand and Ford being the glasses. That weird contraption Dipper originally found the Journal in, and to some degree even the entire hidden bunker seemed more McGucket than Ford. Why would Ford build an entire second base/lab in the woods, and apparently spend time sciencing there as well as the shack? McGucket going into the portal, seeing Bill, then freaking out and leaving/getting fired, and moving into a doomsday bunker stocked with food and starting experiments to try and counter what Ford was doing seems plausible.

Or it could be that Hirsch is the greatest troll ever and planned this out from the beginning. Either seem possible to me.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/536054960018825217

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
With soos it feels like they set up a bunch of mystery stuff for him in the episodes that would have been written before the first episode was filmed I think the second they gave him a voice and did him on the show they all went "nope" and ditched him being some big mystery thing.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

I dunno, McGucket seemed to be a handyman..or just, a handy man

Actually this makes a whole lot more sense. He knew (and forgot) the entire mystery of the author among other things.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Octorok posted:

Actually this makes a whole lot more sense. He knew (and forgot) the entire mystery of the author among other things.

I think it makes sense now, but soos was THE QUESTION MARK and it feels a lot like they originally thought of him then immediately dropped the idea of him being a mystery. McGucket also seems really different in the first episode he was in having a kid and all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it makes sense now, but soos was THE QUESTION MARK and it feels a lot like they originally thought of him then immediately dropped the idea of him being a mystery. McGucket also seems really different in the first episode he was in having a kid and all.

Yeah that was a really good misdirection with handyman. Soos was a little off in the first episode too, but that's common in pilots.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
Or it could have been a real clue! Because in the end, wasn't it the "hand"-y man who knew more than we thought? :haw:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also can I say just how :3: it was that McGucket and his son made up and were hanging out together in the credits? Good on them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Soos was one of the best "funny idiot" characters ever made. The show made it clear that he was dim and made jokes at his expenses, but he also had plenty of qualities and was not one dimensional.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

paradoxGentleman posted:

Soos was one of the best "funny idiot" characters ever made. The show made it clear that he was dim and made jokes at his expenses, but he also had plenty of qualities and was not one dimensional.

Yeah, and also they gave him a girlfriend who would realistically be interested in him.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Pick posted:

Yeah, and also they gave him a girlfriend who would realistically be interested in him.

And also Melody!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Who was knowledgeable enough about Animes to start schooling McGucket?! Exactly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the way they portrayed McGucket's backstory as he keeps erasing his worst traumas. When you remove your worst moment, the second worst moment becomes the new worst and if that keeps up, then by the end of the week your worst day is the day you were late for work one time, and you don't see the problem is removing that too.

He went from seeing Bill Cypher's dimension, to a bad car accident, and then eventually brain damage so severe he wasn't even fully aware of what he was doing with that memory gun, only briefly wondering if there would have been side effects way too late to do anything about them. I thought that whole flashback tape was pretty heart-wrenching.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I'm pretty sure "The handyman knows more than you think," comes from the kids' book that came out between seasons. It gave several spoilers for second season shows, like the mayor dying, and a few that went nowhere, like "The gnomes have a view of Northwest Manor," suggesting there was a dropped episode where they were going to try to kidnap Pacifica for their queen. Soos having a secret was probably also a dropped second season episode.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Finally watched those last two episodes after forgetting about them on my DVR for a while. Sad to see this show go already but it was a satisfying ending at least.

lol

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If anyone wants to watch Weirdmageddon as a 2 hour movie, you have the chance next Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXOEDAwnqpE

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
There were probably a fair number of dropped ideas as Hirsch recalibrated from his original plan of three seasons down to two. And I, for one (along with some grade-schoolers and actual adults that I know) would read the hell out of a Gravity Falls comic-book series that filled in those gaps. (And introduced new material.) Someone with Twatter, please tweet this at Alex and make it happen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chicken Butt posted:

There were probably a fair number of dropped ideas as Hirsch recalibrated from his original plan of three seasons down to two. And I, for one (along with some grade-schoolers and actual adults that I know) would read the hell out of a Gravity Falls comic-book series that filled in those gaps. (And introduced new material.) Someone with Twatter, please tweet this at Alex and make it happen.

The Journal 3 release will probably fill things in.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chicken Butt posted:

A really obvious one was a dropped Pacifica arc. Her season 2 episodes felt more like the start of character development, not the end of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd say the most obvious was Robbie, who never really did anything.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah if I could ever go to one of them fancy conventions where creators talk about stuff and the audience can ask questions, "what stuff did you have planned for other episodes before you hit burnout?" would be a question I would like answered.

(though I guess with the show now complete, there won't really be any GF panels at cons anymore)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

A really obvious one was a dropped Pacifica arc. Her season 2 episodes felt more like the start of character development, not the end of it.

But he already knew when he started on season 2 that it would be the last one

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

I'd say the most obvious was Robbie, who never really did anything.

I feel like the episode where he got busted using mind control music to date-rape Wendy and she broke up with him was a natural conclusion to his arc. He functioned mostly as a foil to Dipper's romantic interest in Wendy and since they (wisely) dropped that after the first season he just didn't really have much of a purpose anymore.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Have they found the statue yet?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The_Doctor posted:

Have they found the statue yet?

Waiting on more clues from Hirsch right now. If there's any more clues in the last episode I don't think anyone is still looking

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Wait, are people actually out there searching for the Bill statue in the backwoods of Oregon? Are we going to hear a news story about a camper that got eaten by wolves in pursuit of a statue of a cartoon triangle?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CuwiKhons posted:

Wait, are people actually out there searching for the Bill statue in the backwoods of Oregon? Are we going to hear a news story about a camper that got eaten by wolves in pursuit of a statue of a cartoon triangle?

The answer to both of these questions is yes of course.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

CuwiKhons posted:

I think it's the same folks who were looking for the lost Day With Spongebob movie, but I can't be certain.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rewatching the series and in the second episode there's a magazine with an advert for Gideon on the back :aaaaa:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Rarity posted:

Rewatching the series and in the second episode there's a magazine with an advert for Gideon on the back :aaaaa:

Now track how many times an effigy of Grunkle Stan is melted and/or burned over the course of the series.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I found this pretty funy fan animation: Bill Cypher orders a pizza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3Jm55Abl8

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I finally watched the Finale after putting it off for like a month. I was worried that watching it would make me feel a little depressed, but it actually felt really uplifting and satisfying seeing it end. Goodbye Gravity Falls, you were a good show. :unsmith:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just watched the whole series. Great show! I think my favorite character was Hectorgon. That guy. What a card! :allears:

Bill Cipher now has a firm spot near the top of my all-time favorite villains list. That triangle has style, man. I can agree with some others in that I wish there had been more time for them to flesh out characters like Pacifica and Robbie but in the end, they did what they needed to do, and the show went out on a high note. I'd rather a show end too soon than too late. All the main characters were fantastic and ended in the perfect place.

For my money, this show might be the best I've ever seen at capturing how great, and terrible, and loving scary it is to grow up. Ending it with the scrapbook credits was a perfect note to go out on. Memories make us who we are, you know? That's why I wasn't upset when Grunkle Stan got his memory back. We knew it was possible because it happened to McGucket, so Stan getting his memory jogged by Mabel's scrapbook (rather than anything Ford did) just reaffirms how much these loving kids mean to him now.

So yeah, thanks for the great summer, Gravity Falls. We'll always have the memories.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There's another Between the Pines special on March 26. More secrets revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esP6_YUvT5c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's another Between the Pines special on March 26. More secrets revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esP6_YUvT5c

Wellp:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/710532754463522816
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/710533392954032128
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/710533666045202432
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/710533810396377088

• Locked thread