Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh, I meant Benedict Arnold. I have no idea why I said Ben Franklin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Oh, I meant Benedict Arnold. I have no idea why I said Ben Franklin.

He has a bum rap since he was bitter and decided to turn traitor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

General LaFayette won that war and George Washington can suck an egg.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

He has a bum rap since he was bitter and decided to turn traitor.

Yeah, but the rebels treated him like total poo poo. And anyway, the rebellion was immoral and unjustified from top to bottom.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some American rebels were up in French Canada for a while and even though they were welcomed with open arms at first due to being enemies of the hated British, the French Canadians soon realized the rebels were even bigger assholes and kicked them out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, but the rebels treated him like total poo poo. And anyway, the rebellion was immoral and unjustified from top to bottom.

Sounds like we got ourselves a redcoat in this thread :toughguy:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

TwoPair posted:

Sounds like we got ourselves a redcoat in this thread :toughguy:

I think what she's referring to is the whole "taxation without representation" being a load of horseshit. The colonies had a representative to the crown (Ben Franklin,) who didn't bother telling the Brits that the colonists were unhappy about anything. And the only tax the crown ever seriously tried to collect was the tax on tea that was instated to help offset the cost of an expensive war with france that the colonies started by invading the French-owned parts of the not-yet-united states.

(If I'm wrong about any of this it's because my only source on this subject is Cracked.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, that. In addition, they were complaining about taxes being too high while literally owning slaves. Hard to claim the moral high ground at that point.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don't talk to me like you know about America unless you read Captain America Bicentennial Battles that proves Cap inspired the American flag. Mister Buda had time travel powers in 1976.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

Don't talk to me like you know about America unless you read Captain America Bicentennial Battles that proves Cap inspired the American flag. Mister Buda had time travel powers in 1976.

Mods??? There's only ONE true story of American independence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The other fun part was how the Continental Congress was full of such shuddering horror of a standing army leading to the overthrow of republics, that they treated the officers of the Continental Army like garbage and nearly got the exact thing they were attempting to avoid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If Benedict Arnold was so cool how come he's in Hell, being used by Satan to gently caress with teenagers in colorful costumes? Explain that, atheists!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man I'm pretty sure Dick Grayson is totally going to Hell for how he treats his girlfriends, so Benedict Arnold can rest easy.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is "oddsblood" some guy's name or the exclamation find of 2016?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know, I'm still trying to parse "Gad, Sir!".

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
It's 18th century English society. You can't take the Lord's name in vain, but saying "My God" or "God's blood" is something you do to express surprise, so you say gAd instead of gOd, or 'od's blood. Ye Olde H-E-double hockey sticks, if you will. You can see it before the period too--lots in Shakespeare and contemporaries.

e: "Adsheartlikins!" is still my favorite renaissance-enlightenment exclamation

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

By od's bodikins!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

yeah a lot of the very silly sounding cusses that we associate with a very quaint, uptight type of charm are fairly intense and brutal.

zounds = god's wounds ie the stigmata

gadzooks = god's hooks ie the nails that jesus was hung from on the cross

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Swearing used to be more profane than obscene, didn't it? That was an issue I believe the producers of Deadwood ran into, because they wanted it to be realistic but didn't think that profanity made as big of an impression as obscenity. So I've heard, anyway.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

words about words
Huh. That's actually pretty neat!

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Mover posted:

yeah a lot of the very silly sounding cusses that we associate with a very quaint, uptight type of charm are fairly intense and brutal.

zounds = god's wounds ie the stigmata

gadzooks = god's hooks ie the nails that jesus was hung from on the cross

I always knew Godzooky was blasphemous.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, that. In addition, they were complaining about taxes being too high while literally owning slaves. Hard to claim the moral high ground at that point.

Colonel Tye was a loving hero.

Also, a lot of blacks joined the British cause because they were promised freedom. Some of them even got it, in glorious Canada. :canada:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MonsieurChoc posted:

Colonel Tye was a loving hero.

Also, a lot of blacks joined the British cause because they were promised freedom. Some of them even got it, in glorious Canada. :canada:

Yeah, but doesn't Canada still have a queen?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Britian was not that much better as they had money in the slave trade and was in control of countries such as India. Britain also started wars over having their opium seized. It is hard to ever have the moral high ground on Britain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Britian was not that much better as they had money in the slave trade and was in control of countries such as India. Britain also started wars over having their opium seized. It is hard to ever have the moral high ground on Britain.

Yeah, Britain technically had banned slavery in Britain at that point, but it kinda rings hollow when you don't give a poo poo that your subjects are still have them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Britain technically had banned slavery in Britain at that point, but it kinda rings hollow when you don't give a poo poo that your subjects are still have them.

They banned being part of the slave trade in 1807

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

This comic was in a big collection of Robin comics I've got. Benedict Arnold is given super-powers by the Devil and sent to gently caress around with Batgirl and Robin, which will allow Satan to take over America for no explained reason. It's really awful and stupid but somehow extremely compelling at the same time. It was also a hell of a way to find out that Babs used to be a member of congress.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

bobkatt013 posted:

Absolutely, Britain was the proud homeland of Ultimate Colonial Bullshit. But in America, like everywhere else, it wasn't the colonists who were getting screwed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

They banned being part of the slave trade in 1807

So, thirty years after the American Revolution.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Was this one of those things where it was like "OK, no more BUYING slaves, but you can keep the ones you have already" and the slave owners started breeding their own future slaves and poo poo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Was this one of those things where it was like "OK, no more BUYING slaves, but you can keep the ones you have already" and the slave owners started breeding their own future slaves and poo poo?

I had my timeline a little mixed up because i thought they'd banned slavery in England earlier, but in 1772 it was ruled slavery was illegal on English and Scottish soil, but not anywhere else in the British empire, then in 1807 the slave trade was banned (this didn't affect America because we weren't British subjects anymore, aside from likely increasing the cost of importing new slaves) but the owning of slaves was still allowed in territories that already had them, so I imagine, yeah, they just spent more time trying to breed more. There was also a huge black market for slaves. Slavery itself was banned altogether in 1833, but was gradually phased in. This didn't stop the British Empire from providing aid to Confederate forces during the American Civil War and avoiding Union blockades of Southern ports.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

dordreff posted:

It was also a hell of a way to find out that Babs used to be a member of congress.

Yeah, the thread's gonna need you to rewind that one a minute and share with the class.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Wheat Loaf posted:

Swearing used to be more profane than obscene, didn't it? That was an issue I believe the producers of Deadwood ran into, because they wanted it to be realistic but didn't think that profanity made as big of an impression as obscenity. So I've heard, anyway.
I like sharing this quote whenever this topic comes up:

John Ciardi, "A General Note on Dante's Treatment of the Grafters and Their Guards (Cantos XXI and XXII)," The Divine Comedy, p. 170 posted:

Dante has been called "The Master of the Disgusting" with the stress at times on the mastery at at times on the disgust. The occasional coarseness of details in other Cantos (especially in Cantos XVIII and XXVIII) has offended certain delicate readers. It is worth pointing out that the mention of bodily function is likely to be more shocking in a Protestant than in a Catholic culture. It has often seemed to me that the offensive language of Protestantism is obscenity; the offensive language of Catholicism is profanity or blasphemy: one offends on a scale of unmentionable words for bodily function, the other on a scale of disrespect for the sacred. Dante places the Blasphemous in Hell as the worst of the Violent against God and His Works, but he has no category for punishing those who use four-letter words.

The difference is not, I think, national, but religious. Chaucer, as a man of Catholic England, took exactly Dante's view in the matter of what was and what was not shocking language. In "The Pardoner's Tale," Chaucer sermonized with great feeling against the rioters for their profanity and blasphemy (for the way they rend Christ's body with their oaths) but he is quite free himself with "obscenity." Modern English readers tend to find nothing whatever startling in his profanity, but the schoolboys faithfully continue to underline the marvels of his Anglo-Saxon monosyllables and to make marginal notes on them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, the thread's gonna need you to rewind that one a minute and share with the class.

She used to be a bonafide US Representative!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 26, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

It's not that interesting. Barbara Gordon stopped being a librarian and decided to be a member of congress instead in the 70s. They never really did much with politics (for example, in the Invader from Hell story, before Benedict Arnold comes and fucks poo poo up Babs is recording some educational history special instead of doing congresswoman stuff) , mostly just had her fight crime in Washington DC instead of Gotham. Oh, and Dick Grayson was her sexy intern for a while. Then she lost her re-election campaign and it was pretty much never mentioned again.

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014

Skwirl posted:

(this didn't affect America because we weren't British subjects anymore, aside from likely increasing the cost of importing new slaves)
The United States also passed a federal law prohibiting the importation of slaves in 1807, though previous state laws had already restricted or banned international slave trade, and earlier federal laws had limited US participation. As with the British Empire, this led to an immediate growth in the black market for slaves. The black market for slaves was apparently such a problem that the US expanded the definition of piracy to include importation of slaves around 1820, by which it became punishable by death (though to my knowledge only one person was ever actually executed for slave trading under the act).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It seems like the life and times of Charles Xavier would make for an excellent STAH post, from going bald due to telepathy, to his time as a roaming combat medic, faking his own death several times, hooking up with a space princess, and Onslaught. Anyone wanna take it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Darthemed posted:

It seems like the life and times of Charles Xavier would make for an excellent STAH post, from going bald due to telepathy, to his time as a roaming combat medic, faking his own death several times, hooking up with a space princess, and Onslaught. Anyone wanna take it on?

Here, I can sum it up for you:

Whoops, wrong panel.

• Locked thread