Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

LordArgh posted:

guys, swatting is just as serious as shutting down a hospital. as a gamer i

Finally someone in the Bitcoin thread willing to speak the truth out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LordArgh posted:

guys, swatting is just as serious as shutting down a hospital. as a gamer i

I think we can all agree that people who DDOS comedy forums should die.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Angela Christine posted:

I think we can all agree that people who DDOS comedy forums should die be given medals.

Agreed

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

revmoo posted:

:rolleyes:

Yeah utterly crazy. That's like saying people that like to play video games and stream them online might have armed gunmen burst into their house because some script kiddie finds it amusing. Nobody would ever do that. We should definitely trust a government that's proven itself time and time again to be utterly incompetent when it comes to understanding technology to make the right decisions in capital offense cases where the only evidence is digital and can be easily fabricated.

because obviously if a hacker extorts bitcoins from a hospital the trial will go thusly:

Prosecutor: "We found the bitcoins in a wallet belonging to *points dramatically* that man right there. Did it feel good to cause the death of those people...perp?!"
Judge: "Good enough for me. What do we do with him?"
Prosecutor: "Let's just hang him this afternoon, I don't want to be late for dinner."
Judge: "Good enough for me!"

clearly this isn't stupid and is exactly the way that the legal system works. we should definitely not have laws because someone might be framed, especially felony homicide laws.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
This thread is hilariously de-railed in 2016

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

gannyGrabber posted:

This thread is hilariously de-railed in 2016

This is a bitcoin thread tradition at this point.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

There are way too many people at my work who are legit excited/100% into this stuff

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Two things got brought up today

1) If I buy something from Microsoft with Bitcoin and I return it, do I get refunded in Bitcoin or in cash?
2) If I had my cash in a bank and you took me out back and beat me with a wrench, I'd still have my money. If I had a trezor and you took me out and beat me with a wrench until I gave you my code I'd lose my Bitcoins

The answer to both was pretty much doesn't matter.

And the 10 minute transaction verification time doesn't matter because if you're buying a tomato who cares about a tomato and if you're buying a home then 10 minutes is no big deal

I think most things that were short comings or problems were responded with "doesn't matter". Except for the Chinese miners who control the network, that was just "it's a problem"

Also MICROTRANSACTIONS! NOT POSSIBLE WITH ANYTHING ELSE! PAY A STOPLIGHT TO TURN GREEN!

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 27, 2016

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

WhyteRyce posted:

Also MICROTRANSACTIONS! NOT POSSIBLE WITH ANYTHING ELSE! PAY A STOPLIGHT TO TURN GREEN!

This is hilarious when combined with "transactions take ten minutes."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

man idk, if I was stuck at a red light for 10 min I'd probably do something asinine like bitcoin

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Two things got brought up today

1) If I buy something from Microsoft with Bitcoin and I return it, do I get refunded in Bitcoin or in cash?
2) If I had my cash in a bank and you took me out back and beat me with a wrench, I'd still have my money. If I had a trezor and you took me out and beat me with a wrench until I gave you my code I'd lose my Bitcoins

The answer to both was pretty much doesn't matter.

And the 10 minute transaction verification time doesn't matter because if you're buying a tomato who cares about a tomato and if you're buying a home then 10 minutes is no big deal

I think most things that were short comings or problems were responded with "doesn't matter". Except for the Chinese miners who control the network, that was just "it's a problem"

So they said that waiting ten minutes for confirmations doesn't matter because bitcoin should only be used for big purchases. Doesn't that conflict with the idea of using bitcoin for micro transactions? Do I need to pay lights 30 minutes early in order to ensure that they're green by the time that I reach them?

But to be fair "doesn't matter" was the correct response to those other questions, because bitcoin doesn't matter

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I swear to god I read every BitCoin thead that I see on the forums, and I still just don't even understand how it's supposed to make more sense as a currency than literally almost anything.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

So they said that waiting ten minutes for confirmations doesn't matter because bitcoin should only be used for big purchases. Doesn't that conflict with the idea of using bitcoin for micro transactions? Do I need to pay lights 30 minutes early in order to ensure that they're green by the time that I reach them?

But to be fair "doesn't matter" was the correct response to those other questions, because bitcoin doesn't matter

your not going true believer enough here, you see as bitcoin goes to the moon the most profitable industry in the world will be bitcoin mining; this influx of competition will drive these pesky transaction times way down. for 5 minutes because lol butts are backed by math, and you only know your math is worth something if you waste a lotan ever increasing amount of electricity making it. am of course talking out my rear end.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I swear to god I read every BitCoin thead that I see on the forums, and I still just don't even understand how it's supposed to make more sense as a currency than literally almost anything.

that's a good thing, it means you are sane.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I mean, it makes me feel stupid though. Generally I can kind of intuit my mind around concepts that are difficult, like time dilation or relativity and all that poo poo, but bc completely befuddles me. It's weird. Guess I better invest!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
satoshi sighed as he slit open his electric bill

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

I mean, it makes me feel stupid though. Generally I can kind of intuit my mind around concepts that are difficult, like time dilation or relativity and all that poo poo, but bc completely befuddles me. It's weird. Guess I better invest!

~Just Gotta Believe ~

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
It all makes sense now I'm going to be rich

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

:frogsiren: DANGER WILL ROBINSON :frogsiren:

The reason you can't understand bitcoin as a currency is that it doesn't do what we intuit a currency to do. It cannot be easily exchanged for good and services, even if it could it cannot be exchanged without additional taxation, its price is not largely stable, and there is no reason to adopt it for retails or consumers. Bitcoin is a cryptographic proof of concept and also a ponzi scheme/cult.

jackyl posted:

satoshi sighed as he slit open his electric bill

satoshi long ago invested in chinese electric companies.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

things causing people to like bitcoin:

- being a poor gamer / computer janitor who lives life on the internet and thinks it is their area of expertise
- hatred of governments and wishful thinking that crypto currency will let you ignore laws and/or give them the ideological finger
- stolen bitcoins can be turned into actual currency, sorta
- some combination of the above

things causing bitcoin to not be a currency:

- more than 99% of people will think you are weird if you even talk about bitcoins

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

I *think* he meant that who cares if the small transaction is fraudulent, it's only a tomato. Which is contradictory to his "no charge backs, no fraud!" selling point.

I'm being a bit mean to him since he's clearly just a tech guy who sees this as a tech toy that tech people can play with and everything else didn't matter. But like most tech guys, he can't see the forest from the trees. His go to example was a Late Show clip two decades ago with Bill Gates where Letterman brings up the first Internet stream of a baseball game and smugly says "ever heard of radio?". He said that's where we are now with digital currency but completely ignores the fact that that makes Bitcoiner the digital currency equivalent of Real Player

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh and after the "pay for the light to turn green" example got brought up he also suggested "pay the person in front of you to get out of the way" which was followed up by a true captain of industry who said he'd make a job of just getting in front of people. It's the techie equivalent of the bully charging his classmates for a hall pass

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Imagine having to wait around for ten minutes or so at the grocery store after checkout until the transaction processes. I guess the grocer could have a waiting area like clinic or something and a cashier can come and let the customer know that they are free to leave with their groceries.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If your buying a house you have to wait. Buying fruit you don't. So since groceries fall closer to that on the scale, obviously you don't have to wait for confirmation on that transaction

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
It's great to see someone that's bad with money complain that the banks are specifically holding them back economically so bitcoin will save them somehow.
The bank already made money digital you ding dongs.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Germstore posted:

That's not how the law, at least in the United States, works. The prosecutor has to prove you did it rather than you having to prove you didn't do it.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit: WGBS Channel 4 - Your local news leader > Bitcoin.txt That's not how the law, at least in the United States, works.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
sooo how long until this prototyping poo poo is done and a real virtual currency starts?

we won't be in the future til we're all using creds to buy hoverboards so lets speed it up a bit here

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i dunno about you, but i already never handle physical money

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mr. Unlucky posted:

sooo how long until this prototyping poo poo is done and a real virtual currency starts?

we won't be in the future til we're all using creds to buy hoverboards so lets speed it up a bit here

A coworker brought in his kid to the office to sell girl scout cookies the other day and i didnt even need to go to the atm because they had a credit card swipe accessory for his iphone. How is this not the future?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

thathonkey posted:

A coworker brought in his kid to the office to sell girl scout cookies the other day and i didnt even need to go to the atm because they had a credit card swipe accessory for his iphone. How is this not the future?

Because evil jew banksters steal 1,5% of the transaction, instead of that money going to people who were smart enough to be early adopters of a clearly superior system that may or may not be full of holes and have the carbon footprint of a mid sized European country

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I live in a first-world country with an actually functional international banking system, and I already have zero need for cash. I think that one of the reasons bitcoin got as far as it did was because transferring money from one account to another is insanely hard in the US? (Too bad Paypal already exists and is an actually functional way to work around the problem, unlike bitcoin.)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah it's not practical to do banking transfers for most purchases in the US that is true i guess. paypal fills that void pretty well i feel like but i guess some people hate/dont trust paypal still to this day. like lowtax probably.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I read about these people that supposedly have "millions" in bitcoins on a harddrive (cause they got in early, when mining was possible on a normal PC?) but I'm confused...what can you actually DO with a bitcoin?

From what I can tell, buy drugs from whatever the modern version of Silk Road is and maybe buy game CD-keys from sketchy Eastern European websites?

I have a friend who's into Bitcoin, though not hardcore, and he tried to explain to me that he uses it to "tip" people? How is that not like giving someone a gift card that they can never spend?

Isn't converting bitcoin into regular currency, if possible, defeating the point of bitcoins?

Are bitcoiners just crazy people that are praying that eventually the crazy becomes contagious, the world accepts bitcoin as a normal currency and they're a millionaires?

I don't get it.

EDIT: How is 1 bitcoin worth 582 dollars CAD? "Hurr hurr currency is only worth what people agree that its worth" but with a loonie, I can walk into the local convenience store and actually BUY something. How the hell does a bitcoin have that kind of value when, from what I'm reading, the process of turning it into real money is extremely complicated and sketchy.

:psyduck:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 27, 2016

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Because bitcoin is a community of scammers preying on another community of true believers.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
even beakman drank the kool-aid

what are the odds that the kid's original question actually existed

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snuffman posted:

I read about these people that supposedly have "millions" in bitcoins on a harddrive (cause they got in early, when mining was possible on a normal PC?) but I'm confused...what can you actually DO with a bitcoin?

From what I can tell, buy drugs from whatever the modern version of Silk Road is and maybe buy game CD-keys from sketchy Eastern European websites?

I have a friend who's into Bitcoin, though not hardcore, and he tried to explain to me that he uses it to "tip" people? How is that not like giving someone a gift card that they can never spend?

Isn't converting bitcoin into regular currency, if possible, defeating the point of bitcoins?

Are bitcoiners just crazy people that are praying that eventually the crazy becomes contagious, the world accepts bitcoin as a normal currency and they're a millionaires?

I don't get it.

EDIT: How is 1 bitcoin worth 582 dollars CAD? "Hurr hurr currency is only worth what people agree that its worth" but with a loonie, I can walk into the local convenience store and actually BUY something. How the hell does a bitcoin have that kind of value when, from what I'm reading, the process of turning it into real money is extremely complicated and sketchy.

Mostly when people say that they "buy things" with bitcoins, what they mean is that they have this long chain of transactions where they trade one thing for another until they eventually get what they want. Sometimes this is relatively short; Purse.io is basically a service where people buy you stuff off of your Amazon wish list and then you pay them bitcoins. Some of the time this is done with a stolen credit card, so you wind up losing the bitcoins (no chargebacks!) and the item (plus you get to spend some time talking to the police). Some of the time this is done with a man in the middle who receives your bitcoins and who tells someone else to buy you your item, and then when that other person never gets paid they justifiably run a chargeback and you wind up with nothing. But to a bitcoiner these are flaws with credit cards, not Purse.io or bitcoin.

This was one bitcoiner's idea for how to use bitcoins to buy gasoline:
1) Add a Gamestop Gift Card to your Amazon wish list

2) Go to purse.io and import your Amazon wish list.

3) Find someone on purse.io willing to buy you your Gamestop Gift Card in exchange for bitcoins

4) Go to Gamestop and buy a Shell Station gas card, because apparently Gamestop will let you buy gift cards with gift cards (most stores won't)

5) Go to Shell and use the gas card to buy gas

to a bitcoiner, this means that Shell now accepts Bitcoins, so they put Shell on the wiki of "businesses that accept bitcoin"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 27, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

olaf2022 posted:

even beakman drank the kool-aid

what are the odds that the kid's original question actually existed

lol kid asks what money is made of, bitcult spends one sentence sort of answering then a half a page pimping the coin of the future.

QuarkJets posted:

to a bitcoiner, this means that Shell now accepts Bitcoins, so they put Shell on the wiki of "businesses that accept bitcoin"

list of "businesses that a complicated ritual allows you to buy from where at least one step involves bitcoin" was too long a name i take it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

akulanization posted:

lol kid asks what money is made of, bitcult spends one sentence sort of answering then a half a page pimping the coin of the future.
To be fair, there's also that part that's cut off on the right side that explains the difference between paper with money pictures on it and real money, and actively asks kids to look at real money under a microscope to see why it's special.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Dear Ethan,

gently caress the Feds.

Yours,
Beakman Place

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Snuffman posted:

The market bubble still hasn't deflated from some market manipulation in the old standby exchanges. And now the market bubble can't deflate or else the Chinese miners shut down and the Bitcoin cabal needs to figure out how to get the frisbee off the roof without everyone calling for blood for interventionism. Most of them get stuffed in the mattress because bitcoins are an investment or passed around the community endlessly like Ithaca Hours so demand has still been able to meet the Chinese supply to hit the bubble price without the bottom dropping out yet.

Or TLDR

Tricky D posted:

Because bitcoin is a community of scammers preying on another community of true believers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Remember the couple who decided to live on Bitcoin, and thought it was amazing they found a gas station that used it.
And it only takes a 104 mile round trip.

• Locked thread