Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR CUP SERIES SUPER SPEEDWAY race. Daytona Beach =/= Daytona International race stadium

Fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

CBJSprague24 posted:

COLE PEARN has been placed on probation. Didn't see what for.

e- Have some HoF nominees:

Buddy, BP, Fox, Hornaday, Stefanik. Squier.

Who's Brian going to tell the voters to vote for this year, though?

I know what one will look like if he get's snubbed again/will.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR CUP SERIES SUPER SPEEDWAY race. Daytona Beach =/= Daytona International.

#1 that's Cup

#2 Daytona Beach is long enough to qualify as a superspeedway

#3 they ran Darlington in 1950 which took balls no one in this thread have

ECU_Drummer
Jul 8, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Damned if you do damned if you don't. I'd say bitterness would be more later on.

Did see they would build their own chassis' which they have got theirs from Hendrick. I'd say money and not being in the shadow of Hendrick.

FWIW one of the hosts on SiriusXM mentioned Rex Stump is now working for SHR, so I think they'll have at least a decent chassis.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
So there's only 39 cars entered for the Atlanta Cup race. That's got to be the lowest field at a speedway in .... a while (I'm sure LASTCAR can look it up so we don't have to).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Probably have to go back to the 90s before NASCAR mandated 43 pit stalls at every track.
edit: entered, not started, nm

VikingSkull posted:

#1 that's Cup

#2 Daytona Beach is long enough to qualify as a superspeedway

#3 they ran Darlington in 1950 which took balls no one in this thread have

Like you can argue they're good drivers or cool or whatever but the criteria was cup superspeedway race which none of them ran. Hell one of them had gave it up before Daytona Speedway was even built.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 26, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
well I mean yeah ok you can have a narrow definition for a pioneer but it's kinda odd that they'd select Guthrie for an award when literally a dozen women were in the sport ahead of her

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

well I mean yeah ok you can have a narrow definition for a pioneer but it's kinda odd that they'd select Guthrie for an award when literally a dozen women were in the sport ahead of her

My first thought when her name is brought up was her trying to run at Indy. I hope to god I don't sound like an rear end, but I mean I don't really recall reading about much of her stock car racing career aside from that. Her car is in the IMS museum and that's kind of her go to claim to fame (First women to qualify for the Indy 500)

I do know that she raced with Earnhardt Sr. as a teammate IRC, and that Humpy gave her a shot at the World 600 after she couldn't make Indy in '76

quote:

Bump Day - Sunday May 23
The story of the day was Janet Guthrie, who arranged a deal with A. J. Foyt to borrow his #1 entry for practice. Shortly after 10 a.m., Guthrie was in the car shaking it down. Her lap of 180.796 mph was easily her fastest lap of the month. Despite her considerable gains in speed, Guthrie did not end up making an attempt to qualify.
As the afternoon was winding down, the attention shifted to the cars trying to bump their way into the field in the final hour. David Hobbs bumped his way in at 4:55 p.m. Eldon Rasmussen was now on the bubble. Rasmussen survived three attempts, but at 5:59 p.m., Jan Opperman took to the track. Opperman's run of 181.717 mph bumped Rasmussen from the field, and the lineup was set.
After creating a media and fan frenzy, Janet Guthrie left the track without making the field. With the spotlight still on her, she quickly found herself an alternative. Promoter Humpy Wheeler consummated a deal for Guthrie to acquire a car from NASCAR owner Ralph Moody, and within 48 hours, flew her to Charlotte to qualify instead for the World 600.

I kind of agree with Viking in some ways. Though I would welcome her being inducted, it'd be an odd choice considering there's quite a few other women drivers that were way before her.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VikingSkull posted:

It's NASCAR. I'm more surprised they're not waiting to find a reason to put Danica in first.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's NASCAR. I'm more surprised they're not waiting to find a reason to put Danica in first.

Is she not the most accomplished NASCAR lady driver? She certainly is the most famous which is what hall of FAME is about? It is not hall of competence.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Guthrie's average finish is probably higher than Danica's at this point, she was a solid top 20 IIRC

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

VikingSkull posted:

Guthrie's average finish is probably higher than Danica's at this point, she was a solid top 20 IIRC

Guthrie-33 races, 5 top 10s, 19.3 average finish
Danica-119 races, 6 top 10s, 24.8 average finish

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Little brother syndrome.

I'm cool with it. Kurt's car looks cooler.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Slickdrac posted:

Guthrie-33 races, 5 top 10s, 19.3 average finish
Danica-119 races, 6 top 10s, 24.8 average finish

Ugh, Danica is not good at finishing races is she. Now I see why every jerk male driver is mad that she can lose a sponsor and pick up a new one in a month that sponsors the whole season. (Even if it was some HAAS automation scam to sell killer robots that manufacture fig bars to the mob.)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is it REALLY cold in Atlanta or something because there is NOBODY at the Xfinity race.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
no it's just NASCAR.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

leica posted:

Is it REALLY cold in Atlanta or something because there is NOBODY at the Xfinity race.

If my one NXS race a year wasn't at Daytona, I wouldn't go either.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Atlanta is one of those tracks that had a crazy fanbase years ago, but demographics of the region are starting to pass it by.

I think part of the reason NASCAR put their race now was to force them off the schedule tbh

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

leica posted:

A lot of people don't go anymore in Atlanta due to a number of factors. It usually is still a very cold day when it takes place. This year is warmer than average with a high of 56 degrees. It is early in the year so it doesn't matter for much. It only has one race a year now, and a couple other factors over the year which have really hurt all the races here.

We do have some great other tracks like Road Atlanta and Dixie Speedway.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Speaking of Atlanta, Truck green flag at 4:44PM. I'll be in IRC. Should be a good race.

e- CAUTION CLOCK!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 27, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I hated Atlanta race wise, most boring track I ever worked. One year I went up for the Feb race, a freak cold front came through and I was unprepared sleeping in a tent and was loving miserable, never been so cold in my life. IIRC it got down into the 20's. After that I refused going to Atlanta in Feb unless I had a hotel room. The media center is really nice there though, and Weber always had a big rear end tent with catered BBQ which was pretty awesome.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yo SRA you had a hell of a truck today, awesome run. Hate you got caught up in that mess but 10th is a drat fine salvage.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I enjoy seeing KBM trucks get destroyed each week. 2016 delivers.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Clint Bowyer is apparently insane. They just had a weird "holeshot challenge" on dirtbikes on FS1 at the Motocross event. He won and crashed straight on into the barrier, beating Stenhouse, Biffle, and Ty Dillon. I can't imagine the team is real happy about that one.

edit for vine video
https://twitter.com/XFINITYRacing/status/703760032022843397

theacox fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 28, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

L_Harrison posted:

I enjoy seeing KBM trucks get destroyed each week. 2016 delivers.

This was even more fun becsuse they destroyed eachother.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

theacox posted:

Clint Bowyer is apparently insane. They just had a weird "holeshot challenge" on dirtbikes on FS1 at the Motocross event. He won and crashed straight on into the barrier, beating Stenhouse, Biffle, and Ty Dillon. I can't imagine the team is real happy about that one.

That's his only chance to win anything these days.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So I have family come out here who knows NASCAR and sometimes watches, mainly Sprint Cup watched the Xfinity race and probably the most proud thing I've heard as a fan. My cousin said "Michael Waltrip sounds very gay." I was very proud of hearing that.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

BMB5150 posted:

So I have family come out here who knows NASCAR and sometimes watches, mainly Sprint Cup watched the Xfinity race and probably the most proud thing I've heard as a fan. My cousin said "Michael Waltrip sounds very gay." I was very proud of hearing that.

My wife said the same thing when she started watching. This actually endeared him to her (or is it her to him?).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

theacox posted:

Lol he completely locks up the rear tire he should know better than that he's a racer!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

leica posted:

Lol he completely locks up the rear tire he should know better than that he's a racer!

lol that's how you know he's been on a dirtbike before

most morons lock up the front, with hilarious results

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Saying what we're all thinking:

https://twitter.com/TonyStewart/status/703760870447386624

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So looking up an NPR article which was a summary of 3 good articles of the week and a facebook comment opened the world to me that there is a conspiracy that Dale Earnhardt never died. :wtc:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I suppose one would fake their own death to avoid a fate worse than death - becoming a FOX broadcaster

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150 posted:

So looking up an NPR article which was a summary of 3 good articles of the week and a facebook comment opened the world to me that there is a conspiracy that Dale Earnhardt never died. :wtc:

I see him like 10 times every time I go to the race track, regardless of the track or type of car

hat, glasses, mustache, Goodwrench jacket, he's piss poor at hide and seek just saying

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VikingSkull posted:

I see him like 10 times every time I go to the race track, regardless of the track or type of car

hat, glasses, mustache, Goodwrench jacket, he's piss poor at hide and seek just saying

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

39 cars make up the smallest field for a Sprint Cup race since the final race at North Wilkesboro in September 1996.

That was one of the first races I watched as a "full-time" fan.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm enjoying this long green run, just a mellow Sunday of driving in circles

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I'm all for getting this over and done with quickly.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
lol Kenseth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wait the can was not in the car when he tossed the tool how is that engaged?
Oops yeah it was.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 28, 2016

• Locked thread