Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mechanics question on Blade Vortex: When you have multiple copies of this gem with different link setups, will they each have different properties? Can you have say 49 BV stacks with damage mods, and 1 BV stack that is linked to power charge on critical strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

I'm not sure Ascendant-Occultist will have enough natural ES regeneration in order to spam spells, it might at most slow the rate of ES decrease as you cast. You're gonna need ZO in order to counteract that.

For a spellcaster that casts spells that increase in mana cost I'd agree with you, but if you're using a melee or bow skill that never increases and has like a base mana cost of 5 or 6 it would be just fine. Ground Slam - Fortify - Poison - Multistrike - Melee Physical would be good down to an attack speed of 0.2 with 3500 ES.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

fennesz posted:

I thought that was desync :v:

lockstep

hence labyrinths

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

There is no RNG, all is pre-ordained by the will of Chris Wilson.

EDIT: Mathil just uploaded a vid on his alpha Inquisitor impression so far. He pretty much confirmed what I already suspected, that is that it's going to be the best ascendancy for any crit elemental build barring any major changes. Given that the critical strike gem increases local crit chance as well taking Assassin is not going to be necessary to cap crit on a lot of builds.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 28, 2016

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I'm still thinking of going assassin for a crit spell MF build, just because it gives so much crit that I shouldn't need any on my gear other than two daggers so I can get plenty of MF.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ekster posted:

Been dicking around on standard doing this ghost busting thing. Got a ventor's gamble, lightning coil, and voltaxic in the same map. My next 3 maps had the sea witches that sing to slow you down then stop you. The will of Chris is just, but fair.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Ekster posted:

EDIT: Mathil just uploaded a vid on his alpha Inquisitor impression so far. He pretty much confirmed what I already suspected, that is that it's going to be the best ascendancy for any crit elemental build barring any major changes. Given that the critical strike gem increases local crit chance as well taking Assassin is not going to be necessary to cap crit on a lot of builds.

Yeah I saw this node and i was making an Arc Templar for the first character. Also saw that less duration causes more damage now so my second character is earthquakes marauder.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Is there an offline skilltree available for ascendancy yet, or are most of the changes still relatively unknown?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

not yet, but the json data is out now so it's just a matter of time until emmit has gathered enough energy to make it happen

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

https://github.com/EmmittJ/PoESkillTree/releases/tag/2.2.4

A quick man.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I should ask for things more often.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3E8Wn26gM4

Full league deets coming tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
gently caress it making a new one: https://poeurl.com/wXa

SRS Necro 113 points without the Ascendency points. Mistress of Sacrifice, Spirit Eater, Commander of Darkness.

7 jewels, 183% life, running Haste Generosity+Hatred Clarity on Blood Magic and Arctic Armor with 30% reduced mana reserved.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, going Mistress of Sacrifice is probably better for SRS witches, where you use flesh offering as perma 100% uptime vaal haste, or bone offering for chaos sparkers or essence drainers. But I've already played SRS and essence drain, and I've already used voltaxic (and it's gonna be expensive as hell this league). I'm going to try to make bone offering max block crit blade vortex work.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I can't decide what I want to do, Bone Offering spectre build where I'm immortal, or SRS Flesh Offering where I shred fuckers, heeeelp

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hirophant man totem build where you and three ancestral protectors spam aoe attacks

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Bugsy posted:

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3E8Wn26gM4

Full league deets coming tomorrow afternoon/evening.

So hyped- this looks really cool. If it was only the coins/vendor it would be awesome, but I'm expecting some other twists as well.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Planning on necromancer w/bone offering, self-cast lightning, then transitioning into Mjolnir. I'm really considering the tradeoffs going armor with IR with that long rear end-trek from witch (and energized armor to convert some ES into armor, then sticking Aegis on it for the hell of things).

I'm looking at something around:
300% total increased damage (inc Elemental Overload and the 40% dmg after consuming corpse necromancer also gets)
175% life
260% armor
66 block / >30 spell block depending on items (inc tempest shield, 32% block shield, L12 bone offering on a L7 CWDT since I do not think the life recovery at L20 will stay in place)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the twist is that he'll never offer anything good and it'll be impossible for a self found or casual player to amass enough coins to buy even a bucket of spit off of the guy

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I've never used mines before but am going saboteur with ice cluster traps and was thinking of using Storm Call mines for single target. Do I need to get the node that makes mines detonate instantly? I guess I could just use storm call + cluster trap + reduced duration + conc effect in deerstalkers

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I gave up trying to get the helmet skin a while ago and haven't really wanted to log in for a while. Since people keep insisting they want standard stuff I may as well offer to give out my poo poo now, since there's no chance I'll sort out my standard inventory after the league change.

So, in a couple of hours - I'll update in the thread when I'm on if there's no one in game that wants my poo poo - I will be giving away all my archer stuff in Talisman SC. There should be 20ex worth, maybe more.

E:
Funman really likes stuff, so I gave him all the stuff.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 29, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BERc6ffsWECBxoNy4r5DPrzUpmubbdmzwu7LuZqAvts/edit#gid=1944298211

This is ProjectPT's build compendium that he is doing for people if anyone is looking for interesting ideas.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

Planning on necromancer w/bone offering, self-cast lightning, then transitioning into Mjolnir. I'm really considering the tradeoffs going armor with IR with that long rear end-trek from witch (and energized armor to convert some ES into armor, then sticking Aegis on it for the hell of things).
After treeing this out, strength for Mjolnir is going to be a serious problem. Going to need like 3 or 4 things with strength on gear. Back the board (or self-cast it is).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 29, 2016

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

lurksion posted:

After treeing this out, strength for Mjolnir is going to be a serious problem. Going to need like 3 or 4 things with strength on gear. Back the board (or self-cast it is).

Needing str on gear for Mjolner is just the way it goes. You can see the Mjolner character I played on Talisman here, the level 90 Scion Cinara_

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Cinara/characters

Because of the corrupted Voll's I had to have str on my ring, boots, shield, and helm. On top of wearing Doryani's belt and that still left me 1 short cause of crappy rolls on a few things so I used a gem with str also. To shield swap(for minus max + ele reflect maps) I had to change out a jewel for another str jewel also.

Overall I really enjoyed the character, though without Deadhand Talisman it wouldn't be as much fun and makes bosses a lot more stressful.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Cinara posted:

Needing str on gear for Mjolner is just the way it goes. You can see the Mjolner character I played on Talisman here, the level 90 Scion Cinara_

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Cinara/characters

Because of the corrupted Voll's I had to have str on my ring, boots, shield, and helm. On top of wearing Doryani's belt and that still left me 1 short cause of crappy rolls on a few things so I used a gem with str also. To shield swap(for minus max + ele reflect maps) I had to change out a jewel for another str jewel also.

Overall I really enjoyed the character, though without Deadhand Talisman it wouldn't be as much fun and makes bosses a lot more stressful.
Yeah, that's a thing, but there's a big difference between a starting point of +270 strength and +50 strength. I'd have to dedicate 2 jewels to +str (~100 each), and 4 T1 strength rolls (~50 each) on various items.

RIP the DPS tank dream.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea it's really hard to transition into Mjolner from a real build, you have to spend so many points on str that you can't really afford any damage nodes until super late. Wearing Meginord's Vise or Astramentis goes a long ways towards fixing that, but those are two of the most important slots for damage items.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Is TShot still viable for single-target? That would simplify my really stupid build idea quite a bit.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Is TShot still viable for single-target? That would simplify my really stupid build idea quite a bit.

Yes, Tornado Shot is still really good for everything. What's your build though? I am curious what bow build can't fit in another skill.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Okay, I think I've settled on a max block hybrid Necro (mother of sacrifice) Spectre build. Hopefully the 100% spectre damage node from necromancer ascendancy makes up for the loss of flesh offering.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Cinara posted:

Yes, Tornado Shot is still really good for everything. What's your build though? I am curious what bow build can't fit in another skill.

Actually, I've think I've convinced myself to use Barrage for single target, TShot for mobs.

Here's my dumb idea:
Tree
Items: Tora bow, 3 Pacifism jewels, Snakebite gloves
Active skills: Barrage, TShot, Temp Chains, Grace, Stone Golem (although Chaos is tempting), Blink Arrow

End result: Permanent Onslaught and Phasing, always cause Bleeding and Poison on hit. Very much a hit-and-run character.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm reading some stuff about ED/Contagion not being very good for end-game. How true is that?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Rurutia posted:

I'm reading some stuff about ED/Contagion not being very good for end-game. How true is that?

not very

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rurutia posted:

Its slow for leveling. People were doing Atziri 3-4 days into talisman with ed/contagion.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Its slow for leveling. People were doing Atziri 3-4 days into talisman with ed/contagion.

Ok great. No one else talked about it, the few build videos on the official forums I've seen have been slowwwww in maps, and this one thread just had people popping up bitching about how lovely the damage was.

I'll just spark my way to victory while leveling. Or have my husband carry me. Whichever.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rurutia posted:

I'll just spark my way to victory while leveling.

That's my plan. I'll probably get too much projectile speed and lose out on exp.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 29, 2016

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man I loving Vaaled a Tabula Rasa and got a +1 to socketed gems. Decided to order a pizza in order to have a Good Ride and I loving died because I didn't click on the portal when attending the delivery guy. Rip me.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Actually, I've think I've convinced myself to use Barrage for single target, TShot for mobs.

Here's my dumb idea:
Tree
Items: Tora bow, 3 Pacifism jewels, Snakebite gloves
Active skills: Barrage, TShot, Temp Chains, Grace, Stone Golem (although Chaos is tempting), Blink Arrow

End result: Permanent Onslaught and Phasing, always cause Bleeding and Poison on hit. Very much a hit-and-run character.

So a few notes. Tora bow isn't worth it, her mod is a prefix so you can't have all 3 important damage mod s(%phys, %phys/acc, +flat phys), and rolling even a decent bow off that would be incredibly hard.

Secondly you can't pick two things from the same base class as Scion, so no having both Raider and Deadeye. You get 6 points to spend, and for the Scion you pick the class specific node and then the ascendancy node doesn't actually cost a point. So you either get an ascendancy from two different classes or the ability to start at a different starting location and a +40 stat node from a different line.

The reason poison is ever any good for bow builds is because of how some modifiers double dip on it. So generic projectile nodes are the best, chaos nodes are only good when using Voltaxic. You especially don't want to scale just chaos if you plan on using Bleeding also, work on scaling your base damage. Bleeding is a tough one cause the damage is pretty bad unless the target is moving, and harder to scale than poison damage.

You have some really weird choices like pathing all the way to Shadow and not Blood Siphon which is a 10% hp node. You are really low on life in general, 114% at level 80 is lower than I'd advise most of the time.

I would really advise any bow build to be crit based also unless you have a very very good reason not to be. Bows have very good base crit, amazing crit nodes, and poison/bleed both even scale off the base hit so crit works great if you really want to use those.

Your build is a bit all over the place, I would really advise looking at some of the forum builds for different bow builds and seeing which nodes they take. The core ideas behind any bow build are going to be similar, you're mostly going to alter which skills/gear you use and your ascendancy class.

If you really want a bleeding and poison based build, I think your best bet is the Duelist Gladiator subclass, weird as that sounds. The pathing nodes are worthless to you, but you could get 25% chance to bleed on attacks, enemies explode as phys, chance to maim(30% slow), 25% chance to gain frenzy charge on kill(bows are a main hand weapon) and 60% increased damage. It may not be the strongest build but is interesting! That or take Scion still and doing either Raider or Deadeye + Gladiator, that way you get some better bow stuff and still 15% chance to bleed on hit.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

climboutonalimb posted:

Okay, I think I've settled on a max block hybrid Necro (mother of sacrifice) Spectre build. Hopefully the 100% spectre damage node from necromancer ascendancy makes up for the loss of flesh offering.

I think most people will just be using Flesh Offering for most things and then Bone Offering for map bosses so you don't really have to make such a big tradeoff.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm looking at all these Ascendacy trees and i'm like "Oh tricksters has some good defense nodes"

Then I started trying to build a freeze pulse that would use that but be survivable in HC...Not exactly sure how it would work out actually. Anyone got any insight because this one is leaving me the most puzzled on how to build it.

Was thinking freezing pulse build...

I've got a Trickster Arctic Breath build planned for HC, probably going to use a Taryn's and hopefully later a Pledge. It'll probably look something like this: http://poeurl.com/xbO
You could try something like http://poeurl.com/xbR instead

Having seen people playing with Ice Trap on stream I'm not really feeling it now, don't know if I want to do a tri-ele trapper... Thinking of trying to do a pure lightning Queen of the Forest trapper so I can zoom around everywhere with LT, Arc and P2L Bear Trap. Arc and LT will be sick with the everything explodes Ascendancy node. Going to be hard to get lots of Evasion for QotF if I'm using an Agnerod for the lightning penetration though, will probably have to be Blood Magic too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I didn't take ED/Contagion very far into mapping last league but in my experience leveling was very smooth and map clear speed was fairly fast so I don't get the negativity of some people around it. If you don't like the play style that's understandable but it seemed like a perfectly fine build to me.

• Locked thread