System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

is it sad that I want a tg100 for the like 2 x68k GM games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So apparently the dude that did the programming for Die Bahnwelt is still around and has a twitter account!
He's an awesome dude! He even made an English page for Die Bahnwelt linking my patch!

http://www.quarter-dev.info/?page=bw/bwmain.php&lc=en

Even better, he tweeted looking for the poster that came with the game (apparently his copy got trashed. :( )
I assume he's going to scan it and put it on the internet, which is great, since this is kinda the white whale I've been chasing after...

Is this joy I feel?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

d0s posted:

is it sad that I want a tg100 for the like 2 x68k GM games

Depends on the nostalgia factor, the samples are noticeably worse than on the SC-55 for example. It does sound a lot rawer which can suit some tunes though.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Ok this is a long shot and I have no hope of ever finding that game again, but maybe somebody does remember. I once played a game that I remember as very detailed business sim but have no other recollection about, it used windows standard GUI elements as interface and you could build different kinds of factories, with placing machinery etc. in a 2D-Tilebased view. Your employees had also RPG-like stats that would affect how well they would work and how effective they'd be at what they're doing. I don't remember even if that game was any good or some shareware thing but it kills me not to know exactly and I'd like to take a second look, like I wanted back then after playing around for a few minutes but then never looked at it again. I think the target platform was Win 3.1.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

Police Automaton posted:

Ok this is a long shot and I have no hope of ever finding that game again, but maybe somebody does remember. I once played a game that I remember as very detailed business sim but have no other recollection about, it used windows standard GUI elements as interface and you could build different kinds of factories, with placing machinery etc. in a 2D-Tilebased view. Your employees had also RPG-like stats that would affect how well they would work and how effective they'd be at what they're doing. I don't remember even if that game was any good or some shareware thing but it kills me not to know exactly and I'd like to take a second look, like I wanted back then after playing around for a few minutes but then never looked at it again. I think the target platform was Win 3.1.

Free Enterprise.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Gehenomm posted:

Free Enterprise.

Yes, that is it. Thank you. Was a bit wrong about the year tho, oh no matter.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I set up a bot to randomly download old ZZT games and render a screenshot from them!

If any of you enjoy random depections of 16 color ascii art it's Worlds of ZZT on both twitter and tumblr (I just fixed a bug where the twitter screenshots were getting converted to blurry jpegs so both accounts should post identical pictures now)

It makes a new post every 3 hours. Normally the board chosen is random, but on Tuesdays it's set to only post title screens.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow that is cool! I love old ANSI graphics and that really brings back some nostalgia.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, I would have taken ANSI over CGA in most contexts. Which just made me start thinking "wait...was 16-color ANSI possible on CGA?" Which led to me Googling and re-finding this, which I think was linked in this thread years ago or something in the first place:

http://8088mph.blogspot.com/2015/04/cga-in-1024-colors-new-mode-illustrated.html

BLESS YOU, 1980S GRAPHICS TECHNOLOGY

I bet I would have taken ZZT over even some early EGA games honestly

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Dos posted:

I set up a bot to randomly download old ZZT games and render a screenshot from them!

If any of you enjoy random depections of 16 color ascii art it's Worlds of ZZT on both twitter and tumblr (I just fixed a bug where the twitter screenshots were getting converted to blurry jpegs so both accounts should post identical pictures now)

It makes a new post every 3 hours. Normally the board chosen is random, but on Tuesdays it's set to only post title screens.

That's rad as hell.

The funny thing is, I only learned about ZZT from the ZZT homebrew port thing on the Nintendo DS, which required weird pan&scan scropping to work with the DS resolution.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Hey, I'm considering getting a vintage computer but I'm not good at haggling or bartering. How much do you guys think this is worth? My gut says $75, maybe $100, but I always second-guess myself.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hey, I'm considering getting a vintage computer but I'm not good at haggling or bartering. How much do you guys think this is worth? My gut says $75, maybe $100, but I always second-guess myself.

I think that's way overpriced. Like, yes, 486 systems aren't out and about for a song anymore, but it only has 4 MB of RAM, a 130 MB hard drive, and doesn't include a mouse, keyboard, or the like. Also, just a 50 Mhz CPU. I wouldn't even bother trying to haggle or lowball that; it just seems like a greedy seller trying to pass off underpowered garbage as something rare and special.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Check your local Goodwill/thrift stores too, you can sometimes find super cheap old computers. I picked up a really nice and working Pentium 90mhz Thinkpad for $20 a few months ago.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I wouldn't get an early pentium. It's in that weird place where it's too slow for newer things and too fast for old things without fiddling around. The same can be said for fast 486s and those late 5x86 CPUs by Cyrix etc.. even though I guess they're kinda exotic and not that often to get. What do you wanna do with the computer?

Also be aware that computers (~until early to mid 486 era) could possibly still have a NiCd/NiMh Battery for the RTC, if that leaks the damage can be extensive and possibly very hard to fix. (if not impossible, in case of multilayered boards which later computers certainly will be) As you can just assume that every battery from that time frame has leaked I'd be very vary of buying a computer of that vintage without looking inside first. Again, everything late 486 and up will probably have a lithium cell which is safe. If you buy on eBay, sellers not showing the inside of the computers or avoiding to show the area around the battery I'd never buy from.

Another point of failure when you get a complete system is the power supply, they're not always but often on their last leg. It's not always a good idea to replace that with a modern power supply for various reasons.

If you want to spend some time and effort, the cheapest (and probably most satisfying way) is to hunt the parts down and put that computer together yourself. Sometimes you can find very rare and interesting thing in heaps of electronics garbage people auction off for the gold value within. I pulled a Super Socket 7 Mainboard (I talked about in this thread) out of such a heap and actually earned money because I sold off the rest of the junk afterwards as what it actually was and not just non-descript junk. Such things do require a bit of knowledge about the material though.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 27, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
That is waaaaay too much for a 486, 50 or otherwise.

Honestly for DOS stuff just use DOSBOX and D fend Reloaded so you can set up your Tandy 1000 and your fast 486 and so forth as basic setups and then work like normal as opposed to game specific setups.

It's way easier and cheaper and space saving. Now if you come across some old hardware cheap? Rock it the gently caress out, maybe spend some bucks for a sd card IDE interface, and possibly a Roland if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Yes desktop pcs are much nicer looking than towers which are butt and all yet... 300? More like 30 bucks.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
And yet more work has been done on the Mac Plus: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/01/retrocomputing-why-bother-machalla-part_29.html The machine lives!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
John Calhoun has released the source code for several old shareware Mac games: Glider 4.0, Glider Pro, Pararena and Glypha III!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/02/retrocomputing-why-bother-machalla-part.html

The next part of my Macintosh Plus adventure continues! This one includes moving a microwave, figuring out stuff in Mini vMac, and a bit of frustrationation about disk images and the formats that love/hate them.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I bought a camera a friend recommended me for taking better close-up shots of old hardware as I plan to make a catalog of everything I've got lying around, with pictures. The reason I often said in this thread and the hardware repair thread that I'd make pictures of something and then didn't go through was a combination of lack of time but also quite frankly the frustration of taking pictures with either a lovely cellphone camera or a mediocre tablet camera which took the air out of me following things up further. For every picture I posted that ended up being kinda fine to look at there were probably five I deleted because they were a blurry mess. This made the whole thing turn into an exercise of frustration. The camera is a bit of an older model as I simply did not want to spend a lot of money but it was once quite professional-grade (or so that friend told me; I know nothing about cameras) and is used still in the same price range as many new cameras. I'm very curious how the pictures will turn out because I really need to start logging stuff and would like to have pictures to go with it. I constantly stumble over hardware I forgot I had, and this has become very obvious to me when I moved all the stuff into my new hobby area and sorted it into several boxes. (it was packed in anti-static bags and in boxes before, not in my fridge or something, just unsorted) I even found a Matrox Parhelia. What a stinker of a card, even as Matrox fanboy you had to admit that one.

I also got the K6 III+ up and running after fixing up the "period-appropriate" ATX power supply I got off eBay for 1 €. It's an OK power supply, nothing too modern or "green" but also nothing that'll burn my house down. I also put in a SCSI controller and a fitting SCSI drive which just makes the whole thing fly. Actually, in systems like these I suppose you could still get new SATA controllers which will be backwards compatible even with such old-rear end mainboards, even though I don't know if all are capable of booting. Just found SCSI to be cooler.

I ended up pairing it with the G400(+Voodoo 2) which is probably not the most efficient combination possible but I'll also probably not run games that'll push the system to it's limits anyways so it doesn't really matter.

I also haven't seen Windows 98 in forever and it was quite jarring. Still not entirely sure what to play first.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Get a tripod and it will help almost any camera take better pictures of things that stand still. You can probably find a super cheap one at a department store for like $30-40. You don't need a fancy $300 carbon fiber base plus fancier $300 fluid movement head either, just start with a simple one. Also if you can turn on the delayed shutter countdown timer (like when you take a family photo and want to jump into the picture), that will let you move your hands off the camera before it takes the picture and reduce shake & bluriness even more.

Also lighting. You can never have enough lighting for good pics. Lots of light will make even a crappy camera look good. Grab some lamps and put them in the room, or even pick up some inexpensive workshop lights and point them at the objects.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I have quite a bit of lighting but still could do a lot better, not even for photographing but also for regular work. I still have ways to go in that room so I'll keep that in mind.

The tripod is a good idea. I also thought about a scanner too (they cost like nothing used) but that wouldn't work for everything.

I played some Fragile Allegiance yesterday. I can only recommend it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Today is a good day. The dude I mentioned before? Apparently, someone on Twitter found the poster I was talking about and uploaded a scan to the internet at his request. He posted a reduced version of it to the website and sent me the psd file.

I found my white whale guys. :unsmith:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Congrats!

Police Automaton, in August 2014 posted:

But it's not all terrible, a few days ago I learned about a method to circumvent the read protection on GAL chips, and I'll try that out soon, but generally the outlook for preservation of soft- and hardware is bleak.

I had a similar experience, after reading some very old (late 80s/early 90s) german computer magazines, I found more information about a way of bypassing the read-protection of GALs, some of the programmed chips that'll eventually lose their programming and make the hardware useless. The article filled some of the important blanks in. I managed to successfully bypass the protection fuse of some GALs, some others were destroyed in the process though. I need to test it a bit further before I test it on actual chips I want to read.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/02/retrocomputing-why-bother-machalla-part_5.html

Two Machalla posts in one week? Its more likely than you think! I have mostly been just doing file stuff, emulation stuff, and more of the same while listening to various podcasts and documentaries.

Ideally I will just be at normal gaming operation by the end of my off days next week, as few as they are. Because I want to get into talking about games and how they play (already have tons of Wizardry pictures on my camera) and leave playing with files and folders and Stuffit behind me.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
There's something about that old System X look, and I don't even have any nostalgic feelings because I never used that OS back then.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
As I'm going to phase out the very unsuited iPad I've been using for pictures, here are a few random pictures of assorted crap, some kinda old. Enjoy if you like old computer crap!

Part of a very naked A600 mainboard I've cleaned some capacitor gunk off of. A really through cleaning can usually only be achieved by desoldering all affected parts. If you look carefully you can see how the PCB and the silkscreen (the white labeling) was sort of affected by the capacitor gunk eating away at it. This board was also stored in very bad conditions and it's metal shielding was basically only a piece of rust that went everywhere when taking it apart. I also had to remove the CPU. (you can kinda see, lower right corner) The pads are in a bad shape, I will probably replace the caps with ceramic or tantalum caps if I ever get around to it. I don't think anyone should ever solder around on this board again afterwards. It looks good now, I think for many this board would've been a write-off.

That is my Performa 475 sans CPU socket. I replaced the 25 Mhz LC CPU with an full 33 Mhz Model which also has an FPU. That CPU runs considerably hotter (the 68040 already all run pretty hot) and really needs some passive cooling. I desoldered the CPU socket and soldered the CPU directly onto the Board so I can fit a bigger and nicer heatsink on it. (the case is very small) Having directly the CPU soldered on like this also helps with the cooling a little bit because the CPU can dissipate some heat through the pins into the PCB, especially into the ground plane. Not very much heat, but every little bit helps. These old Sockets are like putting the CPU onto Styrofoam, they almost don't transfer heat at all. Also replaced the caps. Didn't have two caps because I ordered the wrong size. (they were blocking the SIMM socket - I just didn't consider it)

This was a broken off ceramic cap on the Super Socket 7 board I'm using with the K6. The 1 euro cent piece is for size, (diameter 16.25 mm) I needed my pencil soldering tip for this. The cap wasn't fully broken off but just sort of hang onto the soldering tin still on the pads. Such things are usually not a good sign, I was very concerned the board didn't work and had similar faulty solder joints elsewhere. (which can be impossible to fix) Luckly, that wasn't the case. The soldering is a bit shabby because it was very hard to dose the tin with what I had here, but it works and it's not shorted out either. (the cap in the picture looks like it's missing an edge, that's not the case - it only looks in the picture like this, the tin is just a bit blobby) I also patched up the screw hole with a little bit of tin.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Archive.org have put together some old viruses and malware for your enjoyment.
You can run them right in your browser:

https://archive.org/details/malwaremuseum&tab=collection

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I am being a bit lazy today so my Machalla post mostly about Wizardry won't show up till next week. But I discovered (thanks to Retroware) an amazing video series about the MSX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI39vpfYdDo It is called MSX Mansion and it is excellent.

If you have any interest at all in the MSX (and you should!) it is absolutely worth your time to watch them unless you hate a guy with an accent.

The only problem is now I want King's Valley badly. And the only legit ways outside of buying an MSX and finding the cartridge is some very expensive PS1 or Saturn MSX collections released only in Japan. Or a Spanish remake version on the ZX Spectrum. Its basically a mixture of Lode Runner and La Mulana/Miner type collection platformers.

The MSX is good stuff. Basically the MSX original is a Coleco Adam computer except without Adam's Xbox 360 levels of bad reliability. (To the point there are fan hardware bits and game ports of a ton of MSX software for the CV. The Super Game Module sells out nearly instantly whenever a new batch is made. And then find the carts and.. yeah.)

MSX 2 is roughly on par with the NES but with lovely scrolling.

And another edit because why not add in more people to make an already insanely priced system insanier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDz1IvuWyJw Splash Wave has some fantastic MSX videos, mostly focused on Konami. Because Konami was really THE MSX publisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDrw7mLRdjs And the always fantastic Lazy Game Reviews had an overview of the MSX as well.

Honestly I don't much like the MSX port of Thexder because its just too hard in a different way than the normal version, but Thexder 2 is fantastic and has a fan translation. The Goonies is pretty great as well. It is a lot more accessible than the more puzzle platforming of Datasoft's Goonies game for the US 8 bit micros.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 11, 2016

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Related to the malware on archive.org, they just released a bunch of Windows 3.1 games too.

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_win3

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks for the MSX explosion Captain Rufus; this thread has made me go from a level of interest in the MSX of "ugh, so THAT is why Tunnels & Trolls looked so awful?" to "I am starting to wish I had paid more attention to the imported Japanese PC in my host family's house in Southeast Asia in 1992" so clearly that means I am excited to start delving.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Dr. Quarex posted:

Thanks for the MSX explosion Captain Rufus; this thread has made me go from a level of interest in the MSX of "ugh, so THAT is why Tunnels & Trolls looked so awful?" to "I am starting to wish I had paid more attention to the imported Japanese PC in my host family's house in Southeast Asia in 1992" so clearly that means I am excited to start delving.

To me that is the real fun of retro gaming. To find out about all sorts of cool poo poo you never knew about in the day. Or just couldn't afford.

Like I said in the normal retro thread the Hunt is fun too. But part of the hunt is learning about all this Neato poo poo.

Oh yeah the MSX video dude from France there is moving about channels so check to make sure you have whatever his active one is. It might be his own or it might be RetrowareTv which also has Pushing Up Roses who is an adventure games type.

I do really want to try that trucking game the French dude reviewed. In his playlist. Goes good with the Intellivisionaries episode I am listening to driving to work on this icy cold rear end weekend. ( About Truckin for said Intellivision. Imagic made rad rear end games.). And now Euro and American Truck Simulator which look cool and rad. Though if I can't have an Optimus Prime, Huffer, Motormaster, or Thunderclash truck who wants to play any of em old or new?

I should have a Machalla post covering Wizardry this week and probably a Pool of Radiance/ Gold Box retrospective the week after. And maybe another hardware post depending on if Kthulhu5000 in #retrochat showed me something I want but don't need. If not I'll have a couple Mac books to blab about. Dead Mac Scrolls is a loving cool book. It might not exactly be De Re Atari but the Atari community are the best retro community in general. Those dudes are thorough and all.

Edit: well I lost on what I bid on by a dollar. I hope the winner gets Assbola because I wanted it. :doom:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 14, 2016

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I've spent most of this evening trying to google up a retro game. Deliver me from this uncertainty!

The game is a Commodore 64 side scroller. You were a guy inside a space station. Each screen had two levels (upper and lower), you could run to either direction freely. The space station had a map you could travel. There were something like six targets you had to locate at different parts of the station and shoot them. Gameplay was pretty simple: you could run, jump, duck and shoot. You only had one life but could take some hits before dying. I remember the game being very fluid to play and the music was action-y if repetitive.

I vaguely recall the game had a name like "2000 AD". It isn't that, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

If there is a better thread for asking this type of thing, I couldn't find that one either. I'll be happy to take the question there, tho.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Hob_Gadling posted:

I've spent most of this evening trying to google up a retro game. Deliver me from this uncertainty!

The game is a Commodore 64 side scroller. You were a guy inside a space station. Each screen had two levels (upper and lower), you could run to either direction freely. The space station had a map you could travel. There were something like six targets you had to locate at different parts of the station and shoot them. Gameplay was pretty simple: you could run, jump, duck and shoot. You only had one life but could take some hits before dying. I remember the game being very fluid to play and the music was action-y if repetitive.

I vaguely recall the game had a name like "2000 AD". It isn't that, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

If there is a better thread for asking this type of thing, I couldn't find that one either. I'll be happy to take the question there, tho.

Is it this?

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/details.php%3FID%3D1693

It has "AD" in the title, and the setting isn't a space station, but the screen is split into two levels, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdn8trj7M0E

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Bruteman posted:

Is it this?

Thank you very much, this thing was like a splinter in my brain.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
I've been looking to build a machine for 9x and maybe early XP stuff and have some hardware in mind, but I do have a question before I start;
Do any 9x games (specifically 9x, not DOS/3.1 stuff) need something only available on an ISA card? I'd imagine if anything it'd be sound related, but I'm hoping the answer is no.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asbrandt posted:

I've been looking to build a machine for 9x and maybe early XP stuff and have some hardware in mind, but I do have a question before I start;
Do any 9x games (specifically 9x, not DOS/3.1 stuff) need something only available on an ISA card? I'd imagine if anything it'd be sound related, but I'm hoping the answer is no.

Not even dos/3.1 stuff needs stuff available only on an ISA card. Unless it's something that requires use of industrial automation stuff, which I don't think any of them do. You would need an ISA slot if you wanted to also buy a 3DO Blaster, which comes with its own CD drive and is used to play 3DO console games inside your PC - in DOS it takes over the whole screen and in Windows it can be played in a scaling window.

All that said, having an ISA slot or two was common on motherboards well into the early 2000s, so you should be fine if the cheapest way to get functionality X is an ISA card instead of PCI.

Also: if setting up a 98/98SE system, you can use over 1 GB, nearly 2 GB of RAM safely. But you'll want to first install and boot with 512 MB or less, because you need to manually change some settings to have it work right with more: "To warn Windows that you have more than 512MB of memory installed, add the following line to the [VCache] section of your win.ini file: MaxFileCache = 524288.""

For Windows 95 this also works, but it gets a lot more unstable over 512 MB of memory. So basically, just use Windows 98SE

And further, I reccomend that having installed Windows 98 SE, you then install this and most of the included options: http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/

This is "the unofficial service pack" and it bundles a lot of useful stuff like time zone updates, generic usb flash drive support so you don't need special drivers, and KernelEX which allows many otherwise windows 2000/xp and later applications to run on 98se, which includes many drivers, allowing support for newer devices than otherwise.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Thank you very much, this thing was like a splinter in my brain.
I have the same kind of splinter. It's a game I played when I was *really* small on someone's Commodore PET. It showed a kind of graveyard, I think, from which you needed to escape. Failing to do so would show a fullscreen picture (I guess it's probably a terrible PETSCII graphic) of a grim reaper or something. Never could find it, and I spent quite a bit of time browsing through old packs of PET games.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

fishmech posted:

Not even dos/3.1 stuff needs stuff available only on an ISA card. Unless it's something that requires use of industrial automation stuff, which I don't think any of them do. You would need an ISA slot if you wanted to also buy a 3DO Blaster, which comes with its own CD drive and is used to play 3DO console games inside your PC - in DOS it takes over the whole screen and in Windows it can be played in a scaling window.

All that said, having an ISA slot or two was common on motherboards well into the early 2000s, so you should be fine if the cheapest way to get functionality X is an ISA card instead of PCI.

Since this isn't exactly clear, are there actually 9x games expecting something such as the OPL3 capabilities of an SB16 or other hardware far easier to obtain in ISA form?

Getting ahold of one of the Apollo Pro 133T boards with an ISA slot isn't exactly looking cheap after a quick browse through ebay, so if I do need something like that, I'd probably need to drop back to a 440BX based build basically exclusively for 9x stuff and split off an XP era machine.

fishmech posted:

<RAM gotcha and unofficial service pack stuff.>

I was already familiar with these particular things but thank you.

Asbrandt fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 28, 2016

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
The Yamaha YMF724 is a PCI chip but still has proper sounding OPL3 compatibility. It's also one of the few chips that supports the SBLink interface, for proper DOS compatibility.

The 440BX is one of the best chipsets intel has ever made and you can have a very wide variety of CPUs run on it. If you go that route, try to get a board that lets you set the CPU multiplier in the BIOS. It makes many things easier. Also careful with the RAM on that one, if the RAM on your sticks is too high density (newer) it'll only recognize half of it. Use registered RAM modules if you use all RAM slots for stability. You can also use ECC RAM. If you pick the right sticks you can go up to 768 MB, with 256 MB RAM Modules, each module having 16 chips, organized as 16Mx8. ( <- very important!) You'd be suprised what wonders it can do if you can put entire games into a RAMDisk.

Then add a modern SCSI controller (or SATA if you're chicken) and see that thing fly. :getin:

E: Clarified RAM configuration

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asbrandt posted:

Since this isn't exactly clear, are there actually 9x games expecting something such as the OPL3 capabilities of an SB16 or other hardware far easier to obtain in ISA form?

Getting ahold of one of the Apollo Pro 133T boards with an ISA slot isn't exactly looking cheap after a quick browse through ebay, so if I do need something like that, I'd probably need to drop back to a 440BX based build basically exclusively for 9x stuff and split off an XP era machine.

Across all the games out there, yeah some will be pissy to set up without something that's easier to get on ISA. But of course, what's "easier to get" changes constantly with the selection available on eBay.

Police Automaton posted:

The Yamaha YMF724 is a PCI chip but still has proper sounding OPL3 compatibility. It's also one of the few chips that supports the SBLink interface, for proper DOS compatibility.

The 440BX is one of the best chipsets intel has ever made and you can have a very wide variety of CPUs run on it. If you go that route, try to get a board that lets you set the CPU multiplier in the BIOS. It makes many things easier. Also careful with the RAM on that one, if the RAM on your sticks is too high density (newer) it'll only recognize half of it. Use registered RAM modules if you use all RAM slots for stability. You can also use ECC RAM. If you pick the right sticks you can go up to 768 MB, with 256 MB RAM Modules, each module having 16 chips, organized as 16Mx8. ( <- very important!) You'd be suprised what wonders it can do if you can put entire games into a RAMDisk.

Then add a modern SCSI controller (or SATA if you're chicken) and see that thing fly. :getin:

E: Clarified RAM configuration

I'd say, always go for buying a modern day IDE or SATA (if your system can support SATA) SSD and use that instead of fussing with RAM disks. You can get a 16 GB 2.5 inch IDE SSD for under $40 these days: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111899644029?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I put that particular one in an old laptop I use for gaming, which I'd previously replaced the hard drive with a CF card in an adapter. Now it saturates the IDE bus on every DiskMark test, where the CF card only saturated the IDE bus on continuous reads. :v: