Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hulk hogan got n-word privileges after bookers interview 20 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I decided to catch up on the RAWs that I missed since I was a die-hard WCW fan during the Monday Night Wars. I figured I'd start sometime after KotR '96 and before Wrestlemania XIV to see how the transition to the Attitude Era happened and I randomly picked October 6, 1997 which in hindsight is a great date for anyone looking to do the same:

The cool:
- Stone Cold coming back from his neck injury
- Kane's RAW debut
- Cornette ranting about Bischoff's johnson and how Nash is bad
- "Rocky sucks" chants and British Bulldog getting big pops when he wins
- Degeneration X just about to name themselves, and foreshadowing with Bret Hart calling them degenerates

The bad:
- All that pyro really leaves everything murky and washed out
- Bret Hart calling HHH and HBK homos
- A cringe-inducing interview with Pillman's wife literally the day after he died. "Have you had any opportunity to think about what you now as a single parent will do to support your five children?" gently caress you, Vince.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

It's the perfect show to just listen to, I'd say. Just a bunch of entertaining people trying to entertain each other on long car rides, so it's mostly just a lot of laid-back jokes and stories. Big E's flexibility towards the end is certainly a sight though.

e: They do show a couple of cool pictures and video clips that you'll miss, though.

I watched it tonight and have to say I really enjoyed it. I then moved over to Table for Three and that was drat decent too. I really like these behind the scenes things they're doing. WWE network has been an awesome deal for me this month given how much viewing I've gotten out of it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Helicity posted:

I decided to catch up on the RAWs that I missed since I was a die-hard WCW fan during the Monday Night Wars. I figured I'd start sometime after KotR '96 and before Wrestlemania XIV to see how the transition to the Attitude Era happened and I randomly picked October 6, 1997 which in hindsight is a great date for anyone looking to do the same:

The cool:
- Stone Cold coming back from his neck injury
- Kane's RAW debut
- Cornette ranting about Bischoff's johnson and how Nash is bad
- "Rocky sucks" chants and British Bulldog getting big pops when he wins
- Degeneration X just about to name themselves, and foreshadowing with Bret Hart calling them degenerates

The bad:
- All that pyro really leaves everything murky and washed out
- Bret Hart calling HHH and HBK homos
- A cringe-inducing interview with Pillman's wife literally the day after he died. "Have you had any opportunity to think about what you now as a single parent will do to support your five children?" gently caress you, Vince.

I hope you plan on going backwards because that's actually a really bad place to start. You would miss Austin giving McMahon his first stunner, Shawn's heel turn, the debut of Cactus Jack, Paul Bearer revealing the truth about the Undertaker, and many more things. The day after Summerslam 97 is a much better start. 08/04/97

The transition to the Attitude Era happened more around March 97 when Bret Hart was giving promos like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCDDlSw9-A By Fall 97, they were fully into it.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 5, 2016

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Oh god, those awful scrolls for Le Femme Nikita...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I hope you plan on going backwards because that's actually a really bad place to start. You would miss Austin giving McMahon his first stunner, Shawn's heel turn, the debut of Cactus Jack, Paul Bearer revealing the truth about the Undertaker, and many more things. The day after Summerslam 97 is a much better start. 08/04/97

The transition to the Attitude Era happened more around March 97 when Bret Hart was giving promos like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCDDlSw9-A By Fall 97, they were fully into it.

Fair enough - I'll back up a little, even though some guy named Road Dogg just asked Rockabilly to team up with him and I'm really curious how that plays out.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Helicity posted:

Fair enough - I'll back up a little, even though some guy named Road Dogg just asked Rockabilly to team up with him and I'm really curious how that plays out.

ohyoudidntknow.gif

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Looks like they added some more Hardcore TVs to the Network tonight

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Really underselling this considering it's the segment where Sid comes down to the ring while yelling I DON'T KNOW poo poo

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
'94 Update!

King Of The Ring has happened and it was a hard show to get through. I mean there's the whole Art Donovan debacle, though I have to admit that the more he said "Hey Gorilla, how much does this guy weigh?" the more I laughed. Even with all that I still think it's a little lovely that they straight up ignore him by the end, but it's clear that without Vince there (Who is off having surgery done) the commentary team is a little haywire. However full credit to Macho Man who, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is often the most lucid one, and seems to be trying to get across the angles (When Neidhart gets Bret disqualified and then walks to the back, only Macho seems to get the implication and valiantly tries to raise some questions).

It ends with a whimper thanks to a Lawler/Piper match. Actually both are pros and Piper looks in great shape, but the buildup has all been done remotely and neither man has been in the same building as the other until tonight, so it kind of just falls a little flat.

I will say though that 1-2-3 Kid and Owen Hart put on a good quick little match, and I'm hoping there's more coming from those two because a sub 4 minute match isn't enough.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

'94 Update!

You're a month or two away from a Bret/Kid match on Raw that gets a good amount of time, actually. Great match.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Xerzes posted:

You're a month or two away from a Bret/Kid match on Raw that gets a good amount of time, actually. Great match.

Just happened actually, only like 2 episodes after KotR.

The booking during this time is so amazingly haphazard. I have no real idea why anyone is wrestling anyone else other than they just are. But I got a feeling a lot of this stuff was being pushed on Superstars more than it's being pushed on Raw. We currently got the 'Undertaker' who DiBiase is able to control with THE POWER OF MONEY, in a gimmick I decided was terrible until I actually saw it in motion.

Still though, that Hart/123 Kid match was legit. It can't be underestimated how great Bret is when he's engaged, and he does this great thing where if someone kicks out of a pin he kind of admonishes himself for it. It's shocking to me though that that match opened the show and it closed with loving IRS.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

So it opened and closed on greatness?

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
In an early January Raw in 1999, Shane O Mac introduces the Devil's favourite demon as "Corporate Kane". Mankind wins the championship and his first defense is against...

Kane.

Things never change.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I still think 401Kane was a better name.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

The booking during this time is so amazingly haphazard. I have no real idea why anyone is wrestling anyone else other than they just are.
I realize that wrestling shows are supposed to have stories and such, but I kinda like this, as it makes it seem more like a real competition. Granted, some sort of kayfabe context would be nice. I don't really know how to do it without stupid gimmicks, though.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

My favorite part of '97 so far is that Shawn Michaels really wants the European title because no one has ever held all WWF titles at some point, and SCSA really wants to hold onto his IC belt. People actually want belts and feud for them. Goes along with the above comment about real competition.

The Patriot sucks.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
He does but he got beat clean and made to tap by the heel at a PPV so it's all good. It's interesting that anti-American Bret Hart went over him clean. It kind of goes to show Bret Hart's point that year. He beat Undertaker by himself for the title despite a biased referee trying to hit him in the head with a chair. His team cleanly won at Canadian Stampede. They routinely won at Raw. Bret beat SCSA every time they faced each other. It even fits in that Bret got screwed by Shawn and Vince at Survivor Series.

1997 is easily the best year for storytelling. Bret didn't change, he became heel because it was the fans that changed. Shawn became heel because the fans turned on him for a honest mistake. (You'll see this if you watch the Raw after Summerslam, Helicity. This is why you need to go back) Stone Cold became a face but didn't become any nicer. In Oct 97, he's giving a stunner to helpless ring announcers. Mankind became face by giving JR the mandible claw. People started to like him just because they felt sorry for him. He was still just as twisted. Then there's the Paul Bearer saying top babyface Undertaker is a murderer storyline.

Why was 1997 so good?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Slamboree '96 is the weirdest booked tournament ever. Scott Norton and Ice Train just got a bye into the final round, and now we have a semifinal match featuring Hacksaw Jim Duggan, V.K. Wallstreet, Earl Robert Eaton, and Dirty Dick Slater.

Like the gimmick is these are random teams but this is so weird.

And Eaton and Slater will be in the final.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
So they've added a greatest match collection. I really hope they keep the matches at the end of the month and add to them each month. It's fantastic to have the matches there instead of having to find out what time in the show they begin.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Watching HBK vs Razor Ramon from WM10, which is in that Best Matches collection. First of all, Shawn Michaels has the fiercest mullet of all time. More importantly there's a huge difference with how this match is reffed than with modern matches. The moment Diesel starts interfering with his shenanigans, Earl Hebner tosses him out and into the back. Any idea why this doesn't happen any more when people who aren't in the match interfere (especially in no-DQ matches)?

Edit: Earl Hebner spends most of the match at ringside and not feeding the guys information. Were guys allowed a lot more leeway way back in the day?

Amp fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 14, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Edit: Earl Hebner spends most of the match at ringside and not feeding the guys information. Were guys allowed a lot more leeway way back in the day?

Shawn and Razor had already done ladder matches against each other on house shows leading up to the event - they had a good idea of what they were doing

They also went long and the 10-man tag had to be bumped from the show

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I really tried to like it but after watching the Edge and Christian show I have to say I find it pretty dull and unfunny.

Maybe I'm missing something but drat does that show suck

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

VoLaTiLe posted:

I really tried to like it but after watching the Edge and Christian show I have to say I find it pretty dull and unfunny.

Maybe I'm missing something but drat does that show suck

I'm not liking it either. The show had its moment, but as a whole I don't like it. I'll probably just skip to the good segments next week.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Edge&Christian Show looks like something that would air on MTV in the 90s.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
It seems like the sort of thing that if it was given enough time could maybe become great, but like so much WWE stuff it's off to a bad, bad start.

Here, why were the Flair and HBK/ Austin podcasts pre-recorded? Was WWE leaning towards making this a permanent change or was it just because they're not on WWE programming often enough for Austin to show up and record live after Raw?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

That E&C show is way better than whatever horrible and scripted Steve Blackman Bounty Hunter TV show you all thought you wanted

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

magnum_valentino posted:

It seems like the sort of thing that if it was given enough time could maybe become great, but like so much WWE stuff it's off to a bad, bad start.

Here, why were the Flair and HBK/ Austin podcasts pre-recorded? Was WWE leaning towards making this a permanent change or was it just because they're not on WWE programming often enough for Austin to show up and record live after Raw?

Because Brock said he had to feed the Jew so they went pretaped until everyone at corporate got their knickers unbunched

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MrBling posted:

But before E&C were popular, like in an evening comedy block with Beavis & Butthead and The State.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MrBling posted:

Worse, Mid-00's VH1

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

oatgan posted:

Worse, Mid-00's VH1

now that's what I call "Hey! Remember the *fart noise*?"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I'd watch the poo poo out of some pop up video wrestling matches

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

St Evan Echoes posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of some pop up video wrestling matches

Holy poo poo, yes please.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Edge and Christian's show just makes me wish I was still watching the JBL and Cole Show on youtube.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It really does seem like something MTV would have had on late at night around 1993.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Slamboree '96 is the weirdest booked tournament ever. Scott Norton and Ice Train just got a bye into the final round, and now we have a semifinal match featuring Hacksaw Jim Duggan, V.K. Wallstreet, Earl Robert Eaton, and Dirty Dick Slater.

Like the gimmick is these are random teams but this is so weird.

And Eaton and Slater will be in the final.

well let me tell you about the battlebowl

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Been watching the Monday Night Wars series.

loving hell, I've never herd the combinations of "superstar" and "sports entertainment" said so regularly before in my life.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

team overhead smash posted:

Been watching the Monday Night Wars series.

loving hell, I've never herd the combinations of "superstar" and "sports entertainment" said so regularly before in my life.

Poor Keith David having to say it eighty times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember looking so forward to Monday Night Wars when Network was first announced, but holy hell was I bored by about episode 5.