Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

No one expected Thief 2014 to be a good game, but it hurts because it has the framework of a really good game, if not a Thief-game.

A side-goal in a mission can be picking up every single piece of monetary loot. This means looking through every goddamned corner of the map, which is not helped by linearity of the levels which locks off parts of the map when you go forward, forcing you to repeat the whole level. The good Thief games simply had the goal where you had to steal X amount of loot depending on the difficulty level chosen. They were burglary sims, not grueling collect-athons.

I skipped past the cutscenes after the prologue, which is remarkably similar to Human Revolution and Dishonored where you walk around following some important woman before she gets stuffed into a fridge. I didn't care about Corvo's queen or Adam Jensen's ex, but NuGarrett's protegee is so loving awful. She's haughty, obnoxious, antagonistic and acts like she knows more than NuGarrett. Pacifist-run be damned I wanted her dead. Too bad I read the synopsis and she survives the whole thing.

You can't jump and mantle like any other FPS protagonist, it's all contextual as butts. The maps are broken up into shoe-boxes where you have to press a QTE just to get into the next room. Dishonored was made on the same engine 2 years earlier and I don't recall Corvo spending 30 seconds to jimmy open every window he flies through.

You get to see NuGarrett's hands interact with the environment to hide the fact that without them, there is no real gameplay conceit. It's Dishonored: Invisible War except you have no superpowers.

Good: You get side jobs to burgle houses in the City Hub. Bad: Most of these houses lack guards, thus no danger just looting. This was the perfect setup for killer sidequests, instead you're just emptying cupboards with your Batman vision.

Why is there both a melee-button and a melee-takedown button?

NuGarrett has a hideous wispy mustache and his idea of a hideout is living inside a big gently caress-off clock-tower.

I stopped playing after beginning Chapter 2 as it had been three hours and no one had said the word "Taffer".

http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

you probably already know, but the thief community made a thief modkit in the doom 3 engine and constantly add new missions. they're closer in spirit to the original games than the new thief, but now there's physics so you can drop boxes on guards and knock them out or lift up hats to find loot underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I may be giving the writers too much credit but the dialogue in Life is Strange didn't bother me because it was like this mish-mash of slang from the last like 50 years and also some stuff that I don't think anyone's ever said so I figured it wasn't trying to go for "this is how teenagers talk these days" and more just going for something sounding kinda teenager-ish and I think it worked on that level.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
Dear Saint's Row 4, please do not make really long forced tutorials for games with really simple controls. Especially do not make a third of that tutorial mashing W while watching your character climb up a rocket and occasionally doing a QTE. I want to get to the part of the game where I blow poo poo up recklessly and use my super powers, thanks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I may be giving the writers too much credit but the dialogue in Life is Strange didn't bother me because it was like this mish-mash of slang from the last like 50 years and also some stuff that I don't think anyone's ever said so I figured it wasn't trying to go for "this is how teenagers talk these days" and more just going for something sounding kinda teenager-ish and I think it worked on that level.

I haven't played Life is Strange, although I do want to, but this kind of thing can be a bit of a dangerous thing to pull to not date your creation. If done well I'm sure it's really good, but you run the risk of not fitting in on any level. I remember that the comic strip For Better Or Worse suffered from that when the characters grew up enough to be using slang and such; the author decided to start making up her own rather than either go with what she knew (which would have been woefully out-of-date) or adapting what she did know teenagers said (which would have been incomplete and probably incorrectly-used, and eventually be out-of-date anyway). But the result, probably due to her bad writing skills, was a language that didn't sound right to anybody at any time whatsoever.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cleretic posted:

I haven't played Life is Strange, although I do want to, but this kind of thing can be a bit of a dangerous thing to pull to not date your creation. If done well I'm sure it's really good, but you run the risk of not fitting in on any level. I remember that the comic strip For Better Or Worse suffered from that when the characters grew up enough to be using slang and such; the author decided to start making up her own rather than either go with what she knew (which would have been woefully out-of-date) or adapting what she did know teenagers said (which would have been incomplete and probably incorrectly-used, and eventually be out-of-date anyway). But the result, probably due to her bad writing skills, was a language that didn't sound right to anybody at any time whatsoever.

Hey man, relax the sphincter. There's no need to go roadside.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I liked how Bully did it with a timewrap world where nerds are fooling around on 80s computers and 50s greasers are having rumbles down at the junkyard while the story makes jokes about Ritalin.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Stardew Valley: Awesome, a Harvest Moon like game on the PC! But 2 things are dragging it down for me

1: If you lose all your HP in the mines not only are you brought back to the entrance but you lose a good chunk of the items you found down there, your stamina is shot and the cherry on top of the sundae: You lose 10 (don't know if you always lose 10 or if it changes) levels of "knowledge" in the mines. For whatever reason this means the elevator can't take you down to where you were. I was at level 17 and got knocked all the way back down to starting at level 5. Combined with problem 2 and the RNG of finding a stairway back down that sets you back entire days of progress.

2: The walk speed or the clock speed. One is too slow while the other is too fast, which combines to create a lot of stress when it comes to traveling around cause if you forget something and have to run back home you're cutting off valuable time trotting back. Also for some reason diagonal movement makes running speed into walking speed. If the clock was slowed down by a quarter or the walking speed sped up by a quarter it'd be perfect, but at this rate forgetting something at home can completely gently caress your plans up cause you lose so much time going back. Thankfully there is already a mod to fix this problem, but mods shouldn't excuse anything in the base game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was really enjoying deadcore, and then suddenly the game thought it would be a good idea to add zones that flip gravity onto different axes that you have to trigger yourself on timers and frequently transition between while platforming. In a first person game. There is a reason this kind of thing is only done in third person games. It's incredibly disorienting, it changes which direction becomes "forward" to you every time gravity flips, you have to make midair adjustments while your view is rotating or else you'll fall, and you have to make sure you're reactivating the gravity flippers in time, which is an utter goddamn headache. The game also decided to have more enemies in this part of the game than in any previous part, so you can enjoy getting pushed into or out of a gravity field if you ever stop for half a second to try to reorient your sense of direction.

There's a chance this could work in a first person game that was entirely about solving puzzles in 3D space, but this is not that game. You have to platform around and move very quickly while dodging stuff, so it becomes a nearly unmanageable task to keep track of where you're actually trying to go when your perspective is constantly flipping 90 or 180 degrees in first person and you're trying to control yourself in midair.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Remember, Digirat, the enemy gate is down.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

Stardew Valley: Awesome, a Harvest Moon like game on the PC! But 2 things are dragging it down for me

For me it's the ugly human sprites. Why did Terarria have to ruin 2d sprites for games with those lovely lazy animations? I'm on the fence about Stardew since I'm still trying to finish the Rune Factory series. How does it compare to that?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

For me it's the ugly human sprites. Why did Terarria have to ruin 2d sprites for games with those lovely lazy animations? I'm on the fence about Stardew since I'm still trying to finish the Rune Factory series. How does it compare to that?

If it didn't have pixel graphics then it would probably look too much like a Facebook game for comfort.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

BlueKingBar posted:

Dear Saint's Row 4, please do not make really long forced tutorials for games with really simple controls. Especially do not make a third of that tutorial mashing W while watching your character climb up a rocket and occasionally doing a QTE. I want to get to the part of the game where I blow poo poo up recklessly and use my super powers, thanks.

I dunno, I thought the SR4 intro was great, because the whole mission is an extended joke. The gritty CoD-esque setup, the control scheme that's completely unrelated to the rest of the game, the slow-mo fight to the death, and finally the world's easiest QTE to save the day.

All of which was preceded by a voiceover mocking ultra-serious action GTA clones, and outright stating that this would be "more fun, less mercy killing."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
SRIV did feel kinda weird, until you realize that it was throwing away all pretense of seriousness about what it is and just set out to be the video game equivalent of Airplane.

Which it does perfectly.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The only thing dragging down SR4 for me was the sky box. If only you could change that thing sooner in the game, I would have gladly gone jumping and hopping over buildings with a bright, blue sky.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arc Light posted:

I dunno, I thought the SR4 intro was great, because the whole mission is an extended joke.

A lot of the missions in SR3 and SR4 are great the first time, but because they rely so heavily on being jokey set-pieces they do not hold up at all to a second playthrough. That one isn't the worst by a long way (that would be Asha's rescue mission, which combines a jokey set-piece, an irritatingly difficult mission, and a character no one gives a poo poo about), but having it be the first thing you do in the game is a disincentive to playing again.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
The parts that are funny are really funny. The parts that aren't funny draw out for WAY too long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dear god, the load times in XCOM 2

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Digirat posted:

Dear god, the load times in XCOM 2

You can often speed them up by pressing caps lock. Especially the returning-to-base ones.

I think it's to do with your computer spending so much time animating the loading screen that it doesn't have spare time to actually load the game.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Didn't Terraria originally use sprites ripped straight out of FFV?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ramos posted:

The only thing dragging down SR4 for me was the sky box. If only you could change that thing sooner in the game, I would have gladly gone jumping and hopping over buildings with a bright, blue sky.

Yeah, same here. I was expecting that to be one of the first things you could mess with since what does Vinyak care that you're changing the sky's color? Aside from that and weather, I can't imagine what you might mess with.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

razorrozar posted:

Didn't Terraria originally use sprites ripped straight out of FFV?

Not that i remember, at least not the build redigit released for YA BOY P BAT and some other youtubers. Thats the same as it is now

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I'm working my way through the set dungeon challenges in Diablo 3.

For those that don't play, each class has four "sets" of six items that boost a specific skill set. The set dungeons are very difficult, and offer a cosmetic bonus for finishing all four for each class. There are two cosmetic items for each class, one for completing a basic requirement for the dungeon and one for mastering each dungeon. (Getting everything done on time and killing everything.)

My gripe is not the random enemies, at least the maps aren't random.

My gripe is not the almost troll-level creature choices for each dungeon. (If you are gonna fail by an enemy getting into melee range, I guarantee that the creatures are gonna burrow under you, fly at you, or teleport. If you have to hit several enemies at once with a skill, chances are they either run away or are vary large, etc.)

My gripe is not having to power down. Often the highest gear will fail, you kill too quick and can't complete the objectives. Each set dungeon is a puzzle, requiring a specific set of skills and stats on our character, figuring that out is half the fun.

My main complaint is that many of the dungeons don't even really use the strengths the set gear plays too, and often require two or three other legendaries to even come close to getting mastery.

My secondary complaint is the difficulty swing. Some set dungeons are as easy as putting on the gear and trying a few times, Others are like beating Orenstein and Smaugh on SL 10 with a broken button on the controller.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm really, really sick of fantasy settings in games that resemble Britain, with the British weather and the stupid "ello guvna" accents and the savage Welshmen wild elves in the forest. Going to beat up on Dragon Age again, because Ferelden is loving boring. Hell Sten even tells you why it's such a boring, dreary setting in the game's dialogue! And when it's not England with dragons it's probably Icy Viking Land. If we must do medieval European fantasy, why not a setting that resembles Flanders, or Italy, or Switzerland, or Russia, or Spain? Especially Spain, medieval Spain is way the gently caress more interesting as source material to be processed into a fantasy land than goddamn England, with numerous vastly different peoples and cultures (Castilians, Moors, Portuguese, Basques, Sephardic Jews, etc.) in contact and conflict and climate and terrain that differs radically from the European standard (oh, right, "European standard" in fantasy means "British"). Also it means the setting will have to acknowledge that black people actually exist, considering that they ruled Spain for 500 years.

'Black people' never ruled Spain. I agree with the rest of the post, though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Leal posted:

1: If you lose all your HP in the mines not only are you brought back to the entrance but you lose a good chunk of the items you found down there, your stamina is shot and the cherry on top of the sundae: You lose 10 (don't know if you always lose 10 or if it changes) levels of "knowledge" in the mines. For whatever reason this means the elevator can't take you down to where you were. I was at level 17 and got knocked all the way back down to starting at level 5. Combined with problem 2 and the RNG of finding a stairway back down that sets you back entire days of progress.

2: The walk speed or the clock speed. One is too slow while the other is too fast, which combines to create a lot of stress when it comes to traveling around cause if you forget something and have to run back home you're cutting off valuable time trotting back. Also for some reason diagonal movement makes running speed into walking speed. If the clock was slowed down by a quarter or the walking speed sped up by a quarter it'd be perfect, but at this rate forgetting something at home can completely gently caress your plans up cause you lose so much time going back. Thankfully there is already a mod to fix this problem, but mods shouldn't excuse anything in the base game.

i just wiped in the dungeon. i hate that i lost 300 gold and have to restart the area all over again.

dropping things down like fences or furnaces is annoying. none of my fences can line up and taking ore out of my furnaces causes them to pop off the ground so i have to replant them. also somehow i got a basic pickaxe and my upgraded pickaxe but i can't trash the older one or sell it off so now it's taking a space in one of my chests.

i'm gonna assume that the walk speed is supposed to be mitigated by getting a horse or bike later on.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Arc Light posted:

I dunno, I thought the SR4 intro was great, because the whole mission is an extended joke. The gritty CoD-esque setup, the control scheme that's completely unrelated to the rest of the game, the slow-mo fight to the death, and finally the world's easiest QTE to save the day.

All of which was preceded by a voiceover mocking ultra-serious action GTA clones, and outright stating that this would be "more fun, less mercy killing."
Oh, speaking of things dragging down games, how the SR series has turned from the high point of the series, 2, to a sad monkey cheese parody of itself. It's why the "COD Parody" was pretty pathetic in retrospect, because the only people coming close to the extremely lazy and poo poo recycling of Saints Row at this point.

And most of the time the games are so dreadfully tryhard. The gameplay is enjoyable, but Johnny Gat is a character whos only notable feature is that he's Asian and violent, so them trying to make him a thing was pretty sad, each game feels like there was less and less money and effort spent on it and they try to cover it up with 'comedy' that honestly doesn't appeal to me at all.

I suppose they realized they didn't have the stuff to actually improve and follow up with 2, so they decided to go in another direction, which while not always bad, has some pretty poo poo parts.

Phlegmish posted:

'Black people' never ruled Spain. I agree with the rest of the post, though.
There was that Black Isle game I guess, but nobody really played it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

malal posted:

I'm working my way through the set dungeon challenges in Diablo 3.
Is there anything good about diablo 3?

I just keep hearing a lot of things about how it's really annoying and tedious and this is interesting but they screw it up in so many ways.

But then they tell me it's a really good game and I should play it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ARPGs are incredibly boring. The ones I've played have managed to hold my interest for about a playthrough but then by the end it's clear that the only things that are going to change is how big the numbers are. Can't wait to click on a thing and see 50,000 appear instead of 49,000 ohhhh yeah

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If you like the general premise at all, Diablo 3 is actually really loving good now. Thing is, there were a lot of things wrong with it, but many if not all of them have been adressed piecemeal, and it's a far, far stronger game right now; I would recommend it without ifs and buts, again, if you care for the "getting the numbers bigger" aspect. Though just playing it with friends and trying out new builds is fun enough.
What the problem with set dungeons is, and possibly with other things people complain about "even though you should totally play it": they are brand-new, so they have not been refined into something really good after months or even years of tiny missteps. You can definitely fault the people responsible for D3 that they have a hard time getting things right the first time, but you have to give Blizzard a lot of credit for tirelessly polishing something many, many people called (maybe rightfully) a turd when it came out.

My personal biggest gripe with D3 is that I cannot play it overly long (even though it is, of course, designed for it) because after a point, a build feels "solved" to me - the character and its skills do what they're supposed to and the items support or enable that - and then I'd like to try a different one...but contrary to D2, that doesn't mean you start fresh, it means you just re-skill. But then you might miss items. And have to farm those. But I'd like to try the build now because I am tired of the old one now, but that means playing a really suboptimal new one that's going to take a while to get half as good as the current one I refined, or I grit my teeth and play the old build until I've found most of the items for the new build. Which is actually possible in a reasonable timeframe now after tons of patches and adjustments, but it still does not fit quite into how I, personally would like the dynamic to go. So I just stop and play Dark Souls again...with a fresh character.

But that is a very personal problem, as is "my friends only play Hardcore because they like the thrill of it and I absolutely cannot stand having a constant stream of DON'T gently caress UP DON'T gently caress UP going through my brain". And I still played, like, 100 hours in the new season. You should try the game, and if it holds your interest for "only" one playthrough, for "only" two or three characters, that's more than most games do and only really a failure in the sense of "this is designed to be played forever but I don't want to play it forever so it failed :saddowns:". It doesn't even cost a monthly fee!

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Digirat posted:

JRPGs are incredibly boring. The ones I've played have managed to hold my interest for about a playthrough but then by the end it's clear that the only things that are going to change is how big the numbers are and that I'm going to kill god at the end. Can't wait to click on a thing and see 50,000 appear instead of 49,000 ohhhh yeah

Fixed that for you.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Is there anything good about diablo 3?

I just keep hearing a lot of things about how it's really annoying and tedious and this is interesting but they screw it up in so many ways.

But then they tell me it's a really good game and I should play it.

What that guy just said. Every patch improves the game tremendously.

For what it's worth I don't sperg out on games, I play one for a while then beat it or get bored. For me, the only exception to that had been Diablo 3, going all the way back to playing games on a Commodore 64 and the 4 bit Nintendo.

If it clicks, it clicks. I like hardcore and softcore, and making new and different builds across all classes in both.

When I got fallout 4, I played it and beat it with around 60 hours on the toon. I have dead HC characters in Diablo 3 with more hours on them, haha

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Johnny Gat is a character whos only notable feature is that he's Asian and violent, so them trying to make him a thing was pretty sad

I think that was more to do with responding to popular demand. Gat was a really popular character in the first two games, then he was quickly killed off in 3, which a lot of people were really unhappy about. When it was revealed that Gat was coming back in 4, a lot of people were hugely excited about it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Saints Row 3 got gutted by executive decisions from THQ.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Papers, Please feels a bit too much like actual work for me to enjoy.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Gitro posted:

That doesn't sound very patriotic, comrade.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Veotax posted:

I believe the game cheats on every difficulty in some fashion. On easy and normal it cheats in your favour (easy has less aliens and nerfs the AI so they'll be less likely to use abilities and grenades as well as making bad moves on occasions while normal just nerfs the AI) and on classic and impossible it cheats in the alien's favour (buffing stats mostly).

There is no difficulty setting where the game doesn't cheat. I just want a difficulty setting where the game isn't helping me and giving the aliens bonuses.

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Game_difficulty_(XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown)

Easy and normal cheat by increasing your hit chances on a miss and lowering enemy hit chances when they hit. The increases, if I remember right, are global. So a miss with one dude and the next is more likely to hit, and if he misses the next is more likely to hit still.

Classic and Impossible just increase aim and crit and health and a few other things on a few different enemies across the board but there's no system behind the scenes slanting things more in your favor when things go wrong.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Lord Chumley posted:

That doesn't sound very patriotic, comrade.

If I didn't have to let all those foreigners in I wouldn't have a problem :colbert:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

Easy and normal cheat by increasing your hit chances on a miss and lowering enemy hit chances when they hit. The increases, if I remember right, are global. So a miss with one dude and the next is more likely to hit, and if he misses the next is more likely to hit still.

Classic and Impossible just increase aim and crit and health and a few other things on a few different enemies across the board but there's no system behind the scenes slanting things more in your favor when things go wrong.
does XCOM 2 still do this because this is the worst kind of difficulty

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Gitro posted:

I played it a little, my family all got sick and died, I saw this guy with a self drawn passport, I lost. I lost early.
People who describe the second week sound like they're loving with me. Their descriptions of week 2 no longer sound like the same game to where I have to ask several times if they are sure we're talking about the passport stamping simulator game.

I guess I'd watch a let's play who beats the game but I don't want to get better at this either.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

does XCOM 2 still do this because this is the worst kind of difficulty

I assume so? But what's wrong with it, increasing the number and/or stats of enemies for higher difficulties is pretty much the norm. I have to say though that if you play the higher difficulties you should know how to use the vast number of utilities the game actually gives you. Aliens aren't as numerous as they used to be and most of my missions end up with me having 100% accuracy because I can use grenades to knock down cover and am thus able to take out many groups before they can even return fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Krinkle posted:

I played it a little, my family all got sick and died, I saw this guy with a self drawn passport, I lost. I lost early.
People who describe the second week sound like they're loving with me. Their descriptions of week 2 no longer sound like the same game to where I have to ask several times if they are sure we're talking about the passport stamping simulator game.

I guess I'd watch a let's play who beats the game but I don't want to get better at this either.

Now I have to play that game again because I think I got a little bit further than you, but... How drastically can a stamping simulator get? :psyduck: