Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

XYZ posted:

foodora

m'alnutrition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
If Uber Eats can figure out how to not add a fuckton of cost to deliveries, they'll beat out everybody else just by virtue of having a good infrastructure in place and not being total fuckheads

I absolutely hate almost all the delivery services; they're rude and unreliable. Uber drivers in my small rear end Vermont "city", on the other hand, are consummate professionals and have never let me down. One is even some older retired dude with a Tesla who just drives people around to make a small dent in his payment and meet people.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

a couple of years ago people anticipated a "gradually, then suddenly" moment like Circuit City had because they were doing pretty poorly. i guess they rebounded, though. maybe enough people bought those $75 HDMI cables all of a sudden

Relatively good return policy, coupled with a robust online experience and in store, appluance sales, and on the spot price matching has made Best Buy a decent place to shop. I just spent a few grand there and it went great. Cheaper than Amazon, I got to see the products before I bought them, and I had the stuff right away. Best Buy is profitable and it's not due to arg nerdrage monster cables. It's because they offer good products, good prices, and a good experience.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BigBoss posted:

Relatively good return policy, coupled with a robust online experience and in store, appluance sales, and on the spot price matching has made Best Buy a decent place to shop. I just spent a few grand there and it went great. Cheaper than Amazon, I got to see the products before I bought them, and I had the stuff right away. Best Buy is profitable and it's not due to arg nerdrage monster cables. It's because they offer good products, good prices, and a good experience.

and Amiibos

edit: Speaking of companies that are probably circling the drain. I went to Office Depot the other day looking for an office styled trashcan and I swear to God they didn't have one. All you guys needed was one sku to put next to the chairs, I guarantee it would sell reliably.

Cliff Racer has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Feb 28, 2016

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BigBoss posted:

Compared to a few years ago the space at Best Buy for kitchen and home appliances has easily doubled, if not more. It's a smart move: they're big-ticket items with sales margins to match, the instant price-matching is a big deal since people do a lot of shopping around when they need a new fridge/washing machine/stove, and because of their nature they're one of the few things that people would usually prefer not to buy online.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Their concept is on shaky ground but they seem to have competent leadership that has an idea of their demographic and what to do. It wouldn't suprise me if they say they're phasing in smaller stores in the next 5 years but they seem to be able to use their floorspace to their advantage right now and play with the layout depending on what departments are selling. A less competent CEO would start laying off the staff or reducing wages to get a better bottom line, or shoehorn as much cheap chinese crap as possible onto the shelf at an inflated price.

Whoever the decision makers are now they seem to know that their strength is being the place that lazy people like myself will go to knowing they have a decent selection of good brands, look at everything and then make a decision on the spot if there is a deal to be had.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

blowfish posted:

Wait, do small and mid-sized restaurants not have their own delivery driver where you live? In Germany, you just go to pizza.de (a site that lets restaurants put up an interactive menu) and order takeout from basically any restaurant within a 5km radius.

Traditionally only pizza and Chinese places have delivery in the US, maybe some sub places, too.

It's been years since I've had food delivered to my place, most of the decent restaurants in my area don't deliver, or my house is not within the range of their deliveries.

Space Robot has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Feb 29, 2016

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

shadowvine118 posted:

Traditionally only pizza and Chinese places have delivery in the US, maybe some sub places, too.

It's been years since I've had food delivered to my place, most of the decent restaurants in my area don't deliver, or my house is not within the range of their deliveries.

In Canada you can get those, also KFC, and rotisserie chicken(Swiss Chalet.) And Mr. Sub, which sucks.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
These places that go get food from restaurants that dont normally deliver seem the most dubious (like zifty) ... That means by the time you get the food that wasnt meant to be takeout it has sat around at the restaurant waiting for the driver, in the driver's car on the way to your house. All for a huge premium!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

Compared to a few years ago the space at Best Buy for kitchen and home appliances has easily doubled, if not more. It's a smart move: they're big-ticket items with sales margins to match, the instant price-matching is a big deal since people do a lot of shopping around when they need a new fridge/washing machine/stove, and because of their nature they're one of the few things that people would usually prefer not to buy online.
Just a few years ago, shopping for pretty much anything in-store felt like torture because the employees were either actively avoiding you or running up to you trying to sell you poo poo weren't looking for. Now you can shop there and if you're looking to buy any notable item (tablets, TV's, appliances, etc), it's relatively easy and the people there will actually engage in an on-topic conversation about what you want.

It's also nice that now they only ask you one time if you want a Protection Plan. Say no, and they don't spend five minutes trying to persuade you like they used to. I used to go to Best Buy as a last resort but it's improved quite a bit.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Crazy Ted posted:

Just a few years ago, shopping for pretty much anything in-store felt like torture because the employees were either actively avoiding you or running up to you trying to sell you poo poo weren't looking for. Now you can shop there and if you're looking to buy any notable item (tablets, TV's, appliances, etc), it's relatively easy and the people there will actually engage in an on-topic conversation about what you want.

It's also nice that now they only ask you one time if you want a Protection Plan. Say no, and they don't spend five minutes trying to persuade you like they used to. I used to go to Best Buy as a last resort but it's improved quite a bit.

Eh I've bought things there in a rush, but have you ever had an informed clerk tell you about ...anything?

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

I hate to admit it, but Best Buy has pleasantly surprised me a few times over the past year or two. Most recently, I had to buy a modem/router in a rush - we had just moved, we already had a cable appointment, but our Amazon order for the Wirecutter-recommended modem and router, wasn't going to arrive in time, blah blah blah. Anyway, I went to Best Buy in a huff, and I actually got a legitimately decent deal on a perfectly good one. We just wound up returning our Amazon order. A casual impulse from Best Buy had actually just beaten Amazon at its own game.

At this point in time, I don't know that I would personally trust Best Buy with home appliance stuff, but that would indeed be a good next step for them businesswise. "Home technology stuff that you would like to see in person" is a perfectly good market to corner.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

Eh I've bought things there in a rush, but have you ever had an informed clerk tell you about ...anything?
During a couple of the times when I've gone there (not all that much altogether) over the last 6-12 months I'd actually have to say yes, as surprising as that would seem.

I went there to look at tablets about a month ago after my current one started crapping out, with the intention of waiting until NewEgg or Amazon had a sale. I had a Samsung Tab 4 and was looking at a pair of Tab S2 models that I had in mind, a 10" and an 8". The employee there went over the differences between both models with me, went to the back, and informed me that in the warehouse there was an 8" S2 that someone had done one of those 14-day "Try it and bring it back if you don't like it" returns on. It was marked down at a pretty good discount. He started it up for me, I gave it a once-over for about five minutes to make sure it worked fine, we went over the specs again for each model, and he checked it out for me. The manager didn't seem to like the 35% or so discount that had been placed on it, but after double-checking he said the proper employee had marked it down so I could buy the S2 for ~$235.

The same guy overheard me talking about wanting to get a replacement for Wacom Bamboo stylus but not seeing one in tablet/phone accessories, so he proceeded to take about five minutes and search the warehouse and the sales floor until he found one for me up at one of the front isles near the return desk.

Surprised? Absolutely. I'm so used to seeing horrible or non-existent service at Best Buy that it kind of messed with my head a bit.

Crazy Ted has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Feb 29, 2016

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

thathonkey posted:

These places that go get food from restaurants that dont normally deliver seem the most dubious (like zifty) ... That means by the time you get the food that wasnt meant to be takeout it has sat around at the restaurant waiting for the driver, in the driver's car on the way to your house. All for a huge premium!

Some places have local delivery companies (College Delivery is the one here in town where I live) that tend to be better about it than the "disrupting" national services, but I still stick to Which Wich and the pita joint with them for exactly this reason. Everything else tends to be a bit dodgy by the time it gets to me and honestly I could probably cook whatever I was getting in less time anyway.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i got a nice pair of headphones from best buy a month ago and they were actually $20 cheaper than the price on the shelf cause the store was closing in like a week.

thanks best buy!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good to hear about Best Buy. a knock on them a couple years ago, among other things, was that shopping online from their website was a pretty bad experience. they also didn't really have much in the way of showing off the products before you bought them. i guess they learned that poo poo was unsustainable and adapted. great job

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's not a public company but Spotify is probably going to eat poo poo in the next year or two. It was one thing when they were losing money hand over fist as the only game in town, but now they're losing money hand over fist and Apple Music is stealing all their paying subscribers.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sydin posted:

It's not a public company but Spotify is probably going to eat poo poo in the next year or two. It was one thing when they were losing money hand over fist as the only game in town, but now they're losing money hand over fist and Apple Music is stealing all their paying subscribers.

This seems remarkable considering how much poo poo people give Apple Music.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sydin posted:

Pretty much all online radio is playing a tough game. Royalties for streaming music are really hosed, it's basically impossible to make money with online streaming thanks to laws designed to favor conventional radio. Basically all those services are constantly on the verge of failing, but it will never be their fault when it does.

Apple Music has an edge not because of the name itself or any integration with iTunes, but because it's Apple, who can afford to make it something of a loss leader.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Spotify seems well and fine? I mean I don't know what kind of laughable royalty payouts they're giving but yeah

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord

Sydin posted:

It's not a public company but Spotify is probably going to eat poo poo in the next year or two.

Is feature creep a sign of going downhill or something that causes downhill motion? Spotify is adding a lot of weird things which I haven't seen anyone use yet. Same with snapchat's features lately.

I dunno if I can live in a world without streaming though. Spotifys bloated app and Apples goofy service is still miles better than conventional radio. With exception to the college town I live in now, every region in California I've lived in has been dominated by top 40s.

It's strange too, as some stations are throwing up PSAs on why people should keep listening to conventional radio. It's about as pathetic as you'd think.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Avocados posted:

I dunno if I can live in a world without streaming though. Spotifys bloated app and Apples goofy service is still miles better than conventional radio. With exception to the college town I live in now, every region in California I've lived in has been dominated by top 40s.
I'll take that over living in the Midwest, where it seems like a good two thirds of FM stations are Country music now.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I can't wait until radio dies out. Probably won't be soon but I will celebrate and I will celebrate real hard. gently caress radio

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

TontoCorazon posted:

I can't wait until radio dies out. Probably won't be soon but I will celebrate and I will celebrate real hard. gently caress radio

Screw that buddy. My prize possession is a 1920s tube radio that still works and listening to the FAMU radio station's jazz evenings on it while cooking dinner is possibly my greatest joy in life. The normal radio poo poo is pretty lame, but there are gems out there for sure.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of radio... how's Sirius XM doing? Streaming services have rendered them completely useless. The fees are still expensive, even though for years they've been begging subscribers to stay with massive discounts.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Speaking of radio... how's Sirius XM doing? Streaming services have rendered them completely useless. The fees are still expensive, even though for years they've been begging subscribers to stay with massive discounts.

Don't know about the company, but even Radioshack has put their receivers in the permanent bargain bin. You could probably just walk out with one, no questions asked.

And at $10.99/mo for their most anemic offering (no sports, no internet streaming, no sole-reason-for-SiriusXM's-continued-existence Stern) I'm not sure how you could resist!

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
Sirius comes pre-installed on a lot of new cars now, with music, news, and sports, and that subscriber base has apparently brought the company back from the dead, according to google. I have it in my car, and it's pretty great, even with the yearly fee. No commercials on most stations and a consistant signal no matter how far I have to drive? Hell yeah.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sydin posted:

Rdio going down was a shock to me. I'd been with them almost from the start, and nobody matched their interface and more importantly stations. Playing music like an artist, album or song you like was great. Playing genre stations by how obscure the songs were was a gamechanger. It updated the playlists often, and because of the obscurity slider I could listen to say - 60's Motown deep cuts - something I haven't seen matched.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/17/9750890/rdio-shutdown-pandora

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

blowfish posted:

Wait, do small and mid-sized restaurants not have their own delivery driver where you live? In Germany, you just go to pizza.de (a site that lets restaurants put up an interactive menu) and order takeout from basically any restaurant within a 5km radius.

Low end restaurants, sure. High end restaurants don't generally do delivery so these services are for getting food delivered from those places rather than the local pizza takeaway joint.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The one thing that is stopping me from buying a subscription to Spotify is that my biggest use of it would be on the bus and at work, both of which would run off my data plan. I know if you subscribe you can download and store tracks for later but if I haven't downloaded already then there's nothing to download and build playlists of.

I'm not liking the saturation with all the tv stream services. Competition is good of course , but needing to subscribe to a bunch of services to find a show or movie you want isn't. I'm guessing more and more of these will pop up until every production company had their own content exclusively and we get a much more expensive variation of tv without the commercials but with on demand streaming.

Who am I kidding, commercials will come back in full force it's just a matter of time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

This is a pretty weird position to hold. Goons really can hate anything

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Personally I wish radio was in a better condition. My city just plays too 40s, country and classic rock (which plays no less than three ACDC songs an hour). Even the alternative station in the city has changed to the more popular soft stuff. I just want a punk rock station :(

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Sydin posted:

YouTube music seems pretty clutch. Better selection than Spotify, and it comes with YouTube's insane selection. Granted, a lot of YouTube is poo poo, but I don't have any issue finding decent quality songs.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I got apple music trial when it first came out but the service was buggy and the performance was poo poo. plus i can't stand using itunes on desktop. or the phone for that matter. it's not like spotify is much better but at least their software works somewhat better and I can stream audio from them without any pauses in the car over my cell data connection. I'll probably go back to apple once spotify inevitably tanks.

Like someone mentioned they are adding a bunch of worthless features like a thing that detects how fast you are running and picks music at a matching tempo? Wtf are they thinking when they come up with this bullshit. They need to focus on their core competencies and find a way to retain artists/get new exclusives.

Gonna have to check out youtube music too i guess. Google play is out there as well as a streaming service. Oh and Tidal :laugh:

I think Tidal will probably be first to bow out.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I just saw the most ridiculous Sears commercial ever while watching Hulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40BhLUcqpo

Are they trying to rebrand themselves as "the Sears you used to remember" and hope you don't notice it's just a single stoned teenager "helping" you?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Melmac posted:

I just saw the most ridiculous Sears commercial ever while watching Hulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40BhLUcqpo

Are they trying to rebrand themselves as "the Sears you used to remember" and hope you don't notice it's just a single stoned teenager "helping" you?

Probably they want to trade on the name Sears used to have back in the day, a decently priced department store with stuff that you knew had a good quality. The problem is, I know Sears was bought out by KMART, and I know Kmart's reputation.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Best Giraffe posted:

YouTube music seems pretty clutch. Better selection than Spotify, and it comes with YouTube's insane selection. Granted, a lot of YouTube is poo poo, but I don't have any issue finding decent quality songs.

What? How much music do you listen to? There's lots of small-time artists whose material is only available through Spotify, with no YouTube presence at all. At best, maybe a fan uploads a track or two.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

thathonkey posted:

This is a pretty weird position to hold. Goons really can hate anything

Yeah I don't get that I guess. Who actively hates radio?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah I don't get that I guess. Who actively hates radio?

maybe hes allergic to the radio waves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

go3 posted:

maybe hes allergic to the radio waves

They get picked up by his braces.