Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
sf4 had the most intuitive unlock system.

Fight with them, unlock color/ taunt alternating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

SectumSempra posted:

sf4 had the most intuitive unlock system.

Fight with them, unlock color/ taunt alternating.

Except the character unlock system. That was bad.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Jmcrofts posted:

Except the character unlock system. That was bad.

I guess im thinking of every version of sf4 past the first? There were no character unlocks.

That was something to bolster vanilla, and the unlocks worked on all difficulties and 1 round IIRC so it wasn't hard

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
After days of getting bodied as 'Gief, I finally ranked up to Bronze. I know this isn't a big deal, but it was pretty great to also knock a Ken down a rank in doing so.

It's the little things.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anyone want to run sets against a bad ryu send a request to cfn rocsfeather

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

betterinsodapop posted:

After days of getting bodied as 'Gief, I finally ranked up to Bronze. I know this isn't a big deal, but it was pretty great to also knock a Ken down a rank in doing so.

It's the little things.

Gratz!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ktEFsq6sA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt439sMDm0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtG-hmpI55o

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Real hurthling! posted:

anyone want to run sets against a bad ryu send a request to cfn rocsfeather

sfv doesn't let me input a space in a name search

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

sfv doesn't let me input a space in a name search

what space?

sorry i didn't join right away i was in a match. resend the request if you are still online. it won't let me send one to you for some reason. maybe you logged off?

got it now i thought one of the i's in your name was an l

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 29, 2016

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Oh boy learning FANG sure is fun, it's like playing a character with no special moves or v-sk *opposing Nash rage quits from casual match*

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Input leniency wants to read me walking forward with Vega then ex roll to react to fireball as ex walldive every time :argh:

Although outside of that situation, man ex roll has some reach that is not visually apparent. The first hit can connect way before Vega is physically there.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

what space?

sorry i didn't join right away i was in a match. resend the request if you are still online. it won't let me send one to you for some reason. maybe you logged off?

got it now i thought one of the i's in your name was an l

A few pointers: Practice your combos in training. Almost every opportunity you got you dropped it.

Jump back mp when someone does a raw wall dive. I had to force myself to not spam it over and over because you obviously didn't know how to deal with it.

Practice anti-airing.

Learn which of your moves are minus on block, that way you know when your "turn" is over and it's time to block or maneuver.

You were too predictable with your buttons/hadoukens. Vega's v-skill is terrible, and I was landing it way too often.

Evil Canadian posted:

Input leniency wants to read me walking forward with Vega then ex roll to react to fireball as ex walldive every time :argh:

Although outside of that situation, man ex roll has some reach that is not visually apparent. The first hit can connect way before Vega is physically there.
When you're walking forward, you need to do a HCF in order to not get the DP motion to come out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

holy poo poo LI Joe.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

A.o.D. posted:

holy poo poo LI Joe.
Julio on tilt?
edit: that was awesome!

betterinsodapop fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 29, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

When you're walking forward, you need to do a HCF in order to not get the DP motion to come out.

Oh I know its the same trick from sf4, only issue is if you are too fast it still reads as dp.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

A few pointers: Practice your combos in training. Almost every opportunity you got you dropped it.

Jump back mp when someone does a raw wall dive. I had to force myself to not spam it over and over because you obviously didn't know how to deal with it.

Practice anti-airing.

Learn which of your moves are minus on block, that way you know when your "turn" is over and it's time to block or maneuver.

You were too predictable with your buttons/hadoukens. Vega's v-skill is terrible, and I was landing it way too often.

yeah i get combo and aa jitters. its a long process. :sigh:
thanks for the wall dive tip. i owned a dude in ranked off that alone. you're the best

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh I know its the same trick from sf4, only issue is if you are too fast it still reads as dp.

If you have the meter, Vega's super is also fireball invulnerable, and not likely to get a false dp input.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

If you have the meter, Vega's super is also fireball invulnerable, and not likely to get a false dp input.

Yep very true. Way I play Vega though every single hit confirm leads to ex walldive/izuna so I rarely have bar for super.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Yep very true. Way I play Vega though every single hit confirm leads to ex walldive/izuna so I rarely have bar for super.

My hit confirms almost always go to meterless stuff. If I can dominate in footsies ( a big if, but at least Vega has the tools for that) I find that I can afford to store meter.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

My hit confirms almost always go to meterless stuff. If I can dominate in footsies ( a big if, but at least Vega has the tools for that) I find that I can afford to store meter.

Well my philosophy there is hes quite a low damage character (unless you get the optimal big punishes which is higher than most), so take your damage when you have it. Even just a babby hit confirm cr.lk, cr.lp ex dive is almost 200 damage, vs barely over 100 if you just go lk roll.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Gunder posted:

I wish Zangief was easier to learn, he's the coolest character on the roster by far, but he feels really difficult compared to Ryu. I guess scrubs aren't meant to play Zangief. :(

Edit: Is there an easy way to do 720s? I always have to jump in.

Easiest way to hit a standing 720 is when you're in the poo poo you throw out his forward medium kick, it does that hopping knee and as soon as it goes you spin it to win it. You buffer the spinning in the animation of that jumping knee and after it hits it pops out and combos if you did it fast enough.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
All of these modelswaps work so well. (From this thread)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Well my philosophy there is hes quite a low damage character (unless you get the optimal big punishes which is higher than most), so take your damage when you have it. Even just a babby hit confirm cr.lk, cr.lp ex dive is almost 200 damage, vs barely over 100 if you just go lk roll.

people actually let you hit them standing?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

people actually let you hit them standing?

Nobody is immune to being caught standing.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I give a poo poo.

MrJacobs posted:

People who give a poo poo about colors might care a little..... might

You can also make fight money doing it the cheese way which saves you from paying for things.

Electromax posted:

English voices for all

I can only unlock the easy color for zangief, survival just takes too drat long and I've lost on match 29 twice. Hope I'm not missing anything amazing, purple pants seems pretty good anyway.

literally barely notice the color change on his default you're in the clear

Its nothing like skin change just like his thong and bracer.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Microwaves Mom posted:

You can also make fight money doing it the cheese way which saves you from paying for things.

literally barely notice the color change on his default you're in the clear

Its nothing like skin change just like his thong and bracer.

Normal gets you a weird green/orange combo, black trunks Gief and my coveted color Cheddah Gief. Only problem is Cheddah Gief doesn't turn him super dark tan like Marvel and poo poo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Commissar Ken posted:

Normal gets you a weird green/orange combo, black trunks Gief and my coveted color Cheddah Gief. Only problem is Cheddah Gief doesn't turn him super dark tan like Marvel and poo poo.

cheeda gief isn't black? 2/10

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

cheeda gief isn't black? 2/10

Yeaaaaaaaah, still my go to trunks though. The teal trunks are unlocked either through hard or hell so odds are i'll never see em'.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think hell is just titles and fm and they thankfully didn't put colors there

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

mycot posted:

From that same thread.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Can Ryu just m.shoryu his way to victory in Survival Hard? I really want his Sean color. :saddowns:

Orv
May 4, 2011

mycot posted:

Well, in a way yeah.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Orv posted:

Well, in a way yeah.

Them pecks!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Beat Normal Survival w/Necalli; found that the AI doesn't block his Fierce dash attack all that well. That + some basic hit confirm combos got me most of the way through, and as for supplements I generally had a priority of: Attack Power x2/3 (if I had full/near-full EX bar and at least 70% health; Necalli's Supers do so much damage that cr.Mk xx Lk stomp xx Super could do upwards of 75% of a character's health and was easy to set up), followed by life, followed by defense boosts 2/3, followed by nothing. Necalli already does a good chunk of damage so defensive boosts go a long way for him in Survival.

Now to beat Hard for color 9. :gbsmith:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
:siren:COMBO DUMP POST:siren:

Ryu practical combos into super. There are of course lots of other combos that technically exist but anything not listed here is probably a less optimal version of something already on the list.

Hit Confirm:
  • st.LP, cr.LP xx HP SRK xx Super (fastest start up)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (strongest "normal" hit confirm)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range)
  • cr.LK~cr.LP xx HP SRK xx Super (starts low, fast)
  • cr.MK xx HP Hadoken xx Super (longest range "low" hit confirm)
  • st.MP, cr.MP xx HP Hadoken xx Super
  • st.MP, st.MP, Super (medium range)
  • st.MP, Super (max range)
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super
  • f.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (medium range)
  • f.HP, cr.MP xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range)
  • j.MK, st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (guaranteed after deep or cross-up j.MK hits, big damage)

V-Trigger Hit Confirm:
  • cr.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (low, works at max range of cr.MK)
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, HP SRK xx Super (st.HP instead vs longer range opponent)
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (max range)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, LK Tatsu, Super (vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, HP SRK xx Super (STRICT TIMING, corner only, vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Full Punish:
  • CC st.HK, ~microwalk~, st.MP, cr.HP xx V-Trigger, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (close range)
  • CC st.HK, ~microwalk~, st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (close range)
  • CC st.HK, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (vs. standing only)
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super
  • st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (short range, great damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (medium range, medium damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range, least damage)
  • HP SRK xx Super (fastest punish, medium range)

Misc:
  • j.MP, Super (situational anti-air)
  • MP SRK xx Super

Other Good poo poo:
  • Charged V-Trigger Hadoken Guard Break, dash forward, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK
  • j.MP(2) xx air HK Tatsu
  • j.MP, EX SRK
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx EX Tatsu, EX SRK (corner only)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, LP SRK, EX SRK (corner only, vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Note: Maybe this is the SF4 player in me talking but it really bugs me he doesn't have a decent way into super from anti-air SRK, not even early LP SRK juggle into Super, for some reason the opponent has no juggle points after they get hit by that. At least let me V-Trigger into juggle Super after if you wanna limit that but drat that really chaps my rear end.

Note 2: It occurred to me this is almost every practical combo Ryu has anyway (you basically put Super at the end if you have it) so I'll just throw in a few extra things that are worth learning/doing

Trykt fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 21, 2016

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
No one in this thread likes me so I'm gonna play Birdie.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Trykt posted:

Ryu combos

Good poo poo. Keep in mind Ryu's target combos give a free juggle after v-trigger, so you can do st.HP ~ st.HK xx V-Trigger, LK Tatsu xx Super, for example, for a bit more bang for your buck. Looks stylish too!

e: Also CC HK xx V-Trigger, f.HP, cr.HP xx HP Shoryuken xx Super does absolutely insane damage and stun.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 29, 2016

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Evil Canadian posted:

Evil Canadian you do know you're my favorite Canadian right? That being made mind sharing some Vega hit confirms and possibly some advice regarding how to hit ex walldive? I'm struggling entering the DP after a neutral. Trying real hard to learn Vega this time around.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Trykt posted:

:siren:COMBO DUMP POST:siren:

Is st.MP, c.HP xx HP SRK not worth doing over the other starters even if you're in range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Got my first ranked win tonight. It was sandwiched in between several losses but it doesn't matter. I am still very very bad but maybe just slightly less bad? Or lucky that some poor Japanese dude just picked up this game and was like "WTF is a Street Fighter? Lets play this online".