Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
If you think a sandbox game could ever become boring, you obviously have never played a sandbox game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

If you think a sandbox game could ever become boring, you obviously have never played a sandbox game

that's because im currently still playing the first one i ever started

its really fun but i wont tell you what it is

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SC is a drawing of a sandbox which somehow already has cat piss in it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

hanales posted:

I don't speak whatever language that is (Swedish?), and yet somehow I understood all the comments.

It's Dutch. It's already a little similar to English as a language, and the Dutch have a habit of using English words for things, which is how you end up with poo poo like this:

Het is een loving alpha, om de game mechanieken te testen. - It's a loving alpha, to test the game mechanics

En hoe kan je een loving preview doen van de eerste versie van een alpha. - How can you do a loving preview of the first version of an alpha

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

I'm a black disabled gay muslim transwoman, please send me money. xoxoxo

- Brother Aziz

That's a witty post

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Happy Sisyphus posted:

that's because im currently still playing the first one i ever started

its really fun but i wont tell you what it is

Sandbox games are really, really boring imo

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

You seem to have some misconceptions about *fun* my friend

Fun is playing the game, therefore, playing the game will be fun.

Apparently spending money for dreams is fun.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

No way, I've loved every sandbox game I've ever played... for fifteen minutes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
- These boilerplate missions are really shoehorned into the story and I hate them all. What else is there?
- Everything is there dude!!! You can do anything you want to!!!!
- What, like, read a book?
- Uhh no, it's a game idiot
(Quits to read book)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

darkarchon posted:

No this makes me sad. I hate this community with a passion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3dd0zv/serious_question_what_are_you_going_to_do_once/

This thread (by me) made me turn away from this cesspool of poo poo.

And yet you made it here which (besides the..ahem...few incendiary posts) is a safe haven. Imagine that, goonville is inviting.

Just turn your hate into laughter. You are out some bucks. Trust me, they will get their just deserts.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

even for the serious CIG backers the game really has to be discussing their dreams on a forum, right? even the sad cases that play in the PTU for hours every night must get most of their jollies from designing a space Ironclad in their heads and arguing with other dreamers about it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

darkarchon posted:

Apparently spending money for dreams is fun.

Beats playing sandbox games I guess

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

that is just because you haven't been roleplaying with a friend who pretends to be your vocal ship computer

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

that is how i have continued to play GTA III all of these years

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

And yet you made it here which (besides the..ahem...few incendiary posts) is a safe haven. Imagine that, goonville is inviting.

Just turn your hate into laughter. You are out some bucks. Trust me, they will get their just deserts.

This forums are ok. I strongly encourage everyone to read up the thread for all the dreams… there are some good dreamy posts inside. I tried to be as civil as possible, but eh, having a different and - totally shocking - critical opinion is discouraged in this shithole.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Happy Sisyphus posted:

that is just because you haven't been roleplaying with a friend who pretends to be your vocal ship computer

Happy Sisyphus posted:

that is how i have continued to play GTA III all of these years

It's okay dude we're all adults SJWs here you don't need to call it "playing GTA III"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

darkarchon posted:

This forums are ok. I strongly encourage everyone to read up the thread for all the dreams… there are some good dreamy posts inside. I tried to be as civil as possible, but eh, having a different and - totally shocking - critical opinion is discouraged in this shithole.

pretty sure you just had the wrong dreams

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

pretty sure you just had the wrong dreams

Rather the wrong questions and assumptions, eh. Having realistically managed expectations is not well-regarded in /r/starcitizen.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

darkarchon posted:

realistically managed expectations in /r/starcitizen.

1/3 D+

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The problem with Star Citizen's art direction is the lack of imagination. The artists are obviously clearly talented but whoever is telling them what to make has no vision of the future whatsoever. I will freely admit to not have having any game development experience, but it seems like it would be a good idea to establish the fundamentals of the game universe before having your art crews spend hours making assets. The image Sandi put on her facebook of "Randall Graves" (the character John Rhys-Davies plays) is a perfect example. There is nothing about that character who suggests they are 900 years in the future. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing jeans. Think about what the average person was wearing 900 years ago in Europe, let alone the rest of the world. Or even what the average person was wearing a hundred years ago. Yet we're supposed to believe that a major, iconic character for a AAA sci-fi game wouldn't look out of place in a trucker bar?

Other universes have done a much better job. Serenity intentionally evokes a "Wild West" vibe by creating a universe where technology outside of the core worlds is rare and the emphasis is on a frontier approach. Star Trek has a universe where scarcity is largely eliminated and as a result clothing is much more uniform. Star Wars emphasized diversity with millions of planets and species, and clothing to reflect that. Star Citizen had some really promising concept art in the beginning, but the actual implementation seems to have completely eliminated all of that. Just look at the civilian attire in the MMHC. Where's the creativity in that? It's ridiculously well done but also utterly uninspired.

I was thinking about clothing, especially utilitarian frontier clothing, would look like in the future. I made some assumptions:

1. Technological development continued to go at an advanced pace, seeing new developments in terms of materials and fabrication techniques as well as medical device technology.
2. The propagation of starship technology allows for the rapid transfer of goods between worlds, encouraging the propagation of trend-setting articles of clothing comparable to the spread of jeans today.
3. Humans as a whole would become healthier thanks to better foods and medicine, eliminating obesity and excessive fat.
4. The needs of space-born living would demand particular requirements for functionality, such as limited vacuum protection in the event of an emergency.

Historically we've seen clothing become more and more form fitting, so I would assume that trend would continue. Presumably with high levels of trade we would likely see a "default" outfit that would gain in popularity, particularly among people with the same physical needs (like space travelers), and stylistic choices would be largely limited to colors and minor details over a common form or extraneous levels of clothing over a functional core. Space-born living would necessitate an outfit that was protective against the elements and vacuum yet comfortable to wear nearly constantly due to the ever-present risk of decompression. Likely such an outfit would stay very close to the body so as to eliminate excess air and maximize efficiency for heating/cooling. There would also be the ability to rapidly seal the suit, so a helmet would probably be seen more often than not.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized there was already such an outfit prevalently being used in a science fiction game universe...

And it turns out they already had plans for how to allow characters to have style while staying alive...

Amazing what happens when you have vision.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i woke up on the wrong side of the bed so probably spoke a bit harshly but the last two commandos I saw were this guy and some other chin-dribbler who was going on about how he didn't fight and die in some war to get ripped off by crobbers. I probably just don't notice the normal ones.

sorry decent newcomers

I'll make you love me one day :glomp:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

It's Dutch. It's already a little similar to English as a language, and the Dutch have a habit of using English words for things, which is how you end up with poo poo like this:

Het is een loving alpha, om de game mechanieken te testen. - It's a loving alpha, to test the game mechanics

En hoe kan je een loving preview doen van de eerste versie van een alpha. - How can you do a loving preview of the first version of an alpha

I did notice that, probably why I was able to intuit that angry backers were making GBS threads up that forum.

My apologies for the incorrect identification, I probably should have recognized Dutch, but my 4k monitor made the text too small.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i woke up on the wrong side of the bed so probably spoke a bit harshly but the last two commandos I saw were this guy and some other chin-dribbler who was going on about how he didn't fight and die in some war to get ripped off by crobbers. I probably just don't notice the normal ones.

sorry decent newcomers

I still like you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Even all that isn't necessarily far-future, either. We're already working on the concept of space suits that use a mechanical compression instead of rigid space parts.

Not to mention the fact that anime has been rocking the "space onesie" for some time:

The thing that's ultimately frustrating and lackluster about Star Citizen's clothing is this: By dressing their characters in normal jackets and jeans and poo poo, they are attempting to portray a universe in which living in space for extended periods of time is routine and safe. People don't wear their "Breach hull, all die" emergency space suits all the time in Star Citizen because they don't need to. But if that's true and your characters have the freedom to wear whatever the hell they want on their space stations, why go with jeans and a leather jacket? On Earth, people don't wear jeans as the end-all of comfort, or style. We wear them because they are a reasonable balance between keeping us comfortable and protecting us from all the poo poo that can gently caress up our legs. None of that is a problem for someone on a climate-controlled and very safe space station, so why in the gently caress would they wear jeans?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think it's ok to have some - down to earth- jackets and boots stuff in sci-fi but they're doing a sci-fi game in the depths of space, do something colourful and "out there" for god sake, it's so grey! Where's the neon armour and glowy headgear? Or the big arse guns with spikes and messy faded paintjobs? Even a mix of all three?

Grey grey grey :cripes:

for what's it's worth that artwork's pretty nice and those are some cool outfits but it could be so much more sci-fi.

edit : that artwork's ED right? My post is aimed at SC and my point still stands, SC is grey and generic as gently caress.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 29, 2016

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

HotsauceShoTYME posted:

Excommunicated from the den of shitizens I come seeking asylum.

BTW folks calling Money a token is an upgrade. This gently caress nugget grinning like a loving idiot every week with that gaudy loving clothing topped off with the cliche wanna be rapper cap, is front runner for coon of the year with Stacy Dash(at least she is fuckable). This fucker sets black folks back 11.5 years every loving time he appears on a show tap dancing for Sandi.

You are the worst kind of person, and a hypocrite to boot. :frogleave:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem with Star Citizen's art direction is the lack of imagination. The artists are obviously clearly talented but whoever is telling them what to make has no vision of the future whatsoever. I will freely admit to not have having any game development experience, but it seems like it would be a good idea to establish the fundamentals of the game universe before having your art crews spend hours making assets. The image Sandi put on her facebook of "Randall Graves" (the character John Rhys-Davies plays) is a perfect example. There is nothing about that character who suggests they are 900 years in the future. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing jeans. Think about what the average person was wearing 900 years ago in Europe, let alone the rest of the world. Or even what the average person was wearing a hundred years ago. Yet we're supposed to believe that a major, iconic character for a AAA sci-fi game wouldn't look out of place in a trucker bar?

Other universes have done a much better job. Serenity intentionally evokes a "Wild West" vibe by creating a universe where technology outside of the core worlds is rare and the emphasis is on a frontier approach. Star Trek has a universe where scarcity is largely eliminated and as a result clothing is much more uniform. Star Wars emphasized diversity with millions of planets and species, and clothing to reflect that. Star Citizen had some really promising concept art in the beginning, but the actual implementation seems to have completely eliminated all of that. Just look at the civilian attire in the MMHC. Where's the creativity in that? It's ridiculously well done but also utterly uninspired.

I was thinking about clothing, especially utilitarian frontier clothing, would look like in the future. I made some assumptions:

1. Technological development continued to go at an advanced pace, seeing new developments in terms of materials and fabrication techniques as well as medical device technology.
2. The propagation of starship technology allows for the rapid transfer of goods between worlds, encouraging the propagation of trend-setting articles of clothing comparable to the spread of jeans today.
3. Humans as a whole would become healthier thanks to better foods and medicine, eliminating obesity and excessive fat.
4. The needs of space-born living would demand particular requirements for functionality, such as limited vacuum protection in the event of an emergency.

Historically we've seen clothing become more and more form fitting, so I would assume that trend would continue. Presumably with high levels of trade we would likely see a "default" outfit that would gain in popularity, particularly among people with the same physical needs (like space travelers), and stylistic choices would be largely limited to colors and minor details over a common form or extraneous levels of clothing over a functional core. Space-born living would necessitate an outfit that was protective against the elements and vacuum yet comfortable to wear nearly constantly due to the ever-present risk of decompression. Likely such an outfit would stay very close to the body so as to eliminate excess air and maximize efficiency for heating/cooling. There would also be the ability to rapidly seal the suit, so a helmet would probably be seen more often than not.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized there was already such an outfit prevalently being used in a science fiction game universe...

It's a problem with TV shows and films as well. You look at the 'uniforms' people are wearing in Star Trek and B5 and... there you go. To really find that futuristic look, you have to go into the novel space, Peter F. Hamilton's commonwealth series has my favorite take on that. As people enter the post-scarcity age, the clothing becomes less functional and more identity-based to the point the most advanced culture is wearing intelligent matter sarongs, basically, that take on any shape the wearer wants.

It's funny how you can look at an author and see their perspective in these ways. Iain M. Banks had the majority of his characters wearing generic light jackets and trousers for the Culture books.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

The thing that's ultimately frustrating and lackluster about Star Citizen's clothing is this: By dressing their characters in normal jackets and jeans and poo poo, they are attempting to portray a universe in which living in space for extended periods of time is routine and safe. People don't wear their "Breach hull, all die" emergency space suits all the time in Star Citizen because they don't need to. But if that's true and your characters have the freedom to wear whatever the hell they want on their space stations, why go with jeans and a leather jacket? On Earth, people don't wear jeans as the end-all of comfort, or style. We wear them because they are a reasonable balance between keeping us comfortable and protecting us from all the poo poo that can gently caress up our legs. None of that is a problem for someone on a climate-controlled and very safe space station, so why in the gently caress would they wear jeans?

Good point. Clothing is worn out of necessity, and the appearance is a combination of social convention, physical needs, and available materials. Assuming no material constraints and limited physical needs, why has social convention a polo shirt and a bomber jacket?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

edit : that artwork's ED right? My post is aimed at SC and my point still stands, SC is grey and generic as gently caress.

Yup.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sign me up for a space gimp suit pls

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I just don't understand how you create a universe in which your characters can safely wear basically anything they want and you go with "biker chic" or whatever.

Just look around at some of the cool poo poo people are doing now:

Or gently caress, just watch The Fifth Element. Every single outfit in that movie screamed "Man, the future is loving different."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Please don't encourage croberts to ruin The Fifth Element like he has ruined The Hitchhikers Guide. Thanks.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Serious answer Re: Star Citizen clothing

You know that Chris Roberts is going to have a cameo appearance, right? Imagine mushmouth mcchubberson in a skintight onesie.

That one mental image resulted in the entire project's clothing design direction.

Whatever he appears in, it will be black and slimming.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beet Wagon posted:

I just don't understand how you create a universe in which your characters can safely wear basically anything they want and you go with "biker chic" or whatever.

Or gently caress, just watch The Fifth Element. Every single outfit in that movie screamed "Man, the future is loving different."

You've just said what I was trying to say a million times better,if I picked any of the sci-fi books that I have round the house and randomly chose any page it would be better than SC, no matter how old or new.

Same for any sci-fi movies in the last thirty - forty years, how does anyone manage to make something so generic with $100 million? it boggles the mind :cripes:

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Chalks posted:

Gray spaceman shines a torch down the barrel before firing.

Laser pointer. The gun's firing lasers, remember, not torches.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D1E posted:

Serious answer Re: Star Citizen clothing

You know that Chris Roberts is going to have a cameo appearance, right? Imagine mushmouth mcchubberson in a skintight onesie.

That one mental image resulted in the entire project's clothing design direction.

Whatever he appears in, it will be black and slimming.

They'll put his face on a CGI body. First female character model confirmed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loiosh posted:

It's a problem with TV shows and films as well. You look at the 'uniforms' people are wearing in Star Trek and B5 and... there you go. To really find that futuristic look, you have to go into the novel space, Peter F. Hamilton's commonwealth series has my favorite take on that. As people enter the post-scarcity age, the clothing becomes less functional and more identity-based to the point the most advanced culture is wearing intelligent matter sarongs, basically, that take on any shape the wearer wants.

It's funny how you can look at an author and see their perspective in these ways. Iain M. Banks had the majority of his characters wearing generic light jackets and trousers for the Culture books.

I forgot where I heard about it but there was one functional universe where people were adorned with surrounded by clouds nanites that formed whatever shape was desired. So not even "clothes" in the traditional sense.

Beet Wagon posted:

I think it would have been amazing to have CIG go to various fashion schools and talk to the teachers and say "we're making a video game set 900 years in the future, and people can wear pretty much whatever they want" and then have them challenge their students to make some really fascinating stuff based on the limitations of the software. It's the perfect opportunity to go as costume as you want, and Chris Rock's attire is a perfect example of how out there and amazing you could get.

I really like the idea of combining a universal functional core with wildly disparate accessories depending on where the person was from or what they supported. So everyone starts off with a basic functional jumpsuit but then adds whatever they want to establish their identity. Alternatively if personal force fields were a thing then there wouldn't even need to be jump suits; in the event of a breach your force field pops on and you have a supply of air while you wait for rescue and then it doesn't matter what you're wearing.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

900 years ago people were wearing bliauts, hose and robes everywhere, and that's just western europeans. everything should be at least that different 900 years from now, expecially given alien influences and whatever. But since the aliens are pretty much Crobert's idea of arabs and chinese I don't think it matters much.

E: I was too slow

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Beet Wagon posted:

To be fair, The Fifth Element employed Jean Paul Gaultier because if you're going to design future outfits, you don't half-rear end the design. Even the director of TFE, who is pretty scummy by any definition, knew this.

(If you want to know how scummy the director of TFE is, I suggest just reading the excerpt on "Personal Life" from his Wikipedia entry, paying especial attention to his second wife.)

For reference, TFE had a budget of $90 million so it's not like hiring someone who's actually halfway competent at clothing design was out of Crobber's price range. Granted, their money trickled in rather than all at once... Even still. If you're sitting on a wad of cash to make your game, stop expanding the scope and use the extra money to make what is within the scope really awesome.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
It's a little reminiscent of the glut of space-related films of the 50's where they had all these futuristic ideas of spacesuits and rocket ships etc., but they still held onto the 50's aesthetic. The Fallout games capture this fairly well. Chris Roberts is doing the same, but for some reason he's using a 90's Goodwill approach. He really is a dumb gently caress when you get right down to it - a dumb gently caress who lucked into being in charge of something far, far beyond his ability or even comprehension. It's like "Bring Your Child to Work" day, except it's "Put Your Autistic Child In Charge of a $100 Million Project Day" and the day lasts for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

New Mass Effect game looking good, way to go EA.

• Locked thread