Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

pog boyfriend posted:

i will coach any one but there is a catch i am going to make you buy wits end

That's not a catch, that's a benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

I didn't know you coached kog'maw and warwick mains.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

Something without beginning has no end

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Luna Was Here posted:

Would you like a coaching session from the meme master himself

Yes

henkman posted:

Stop building sunfire cape on support nautilus

What should my last item be?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Pink ward.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
zz'rot portal, banshee's veil, randuin's omen if you really think you need an hp/armor item

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Post a replay or a youtube video of a game you would like to get tips from

What is your goal for playing ranked? Do you want to be silver, gold, something else?

What role do you main?

Can you post a link to one of your games from the league website so we can see item builds and other statistics?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

Pink ward.

Why would I buy a pink ward unless I'm facing someone like Akali or Shaco? They are visible and I already have three wards from Sightstone.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

build a wits end for your last item it has natural synergy with nautilus shield with the attack speed and the leeching of MR makes your attacks hit harder

Arrgytehpirate posted:

post your build

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Why would I buy a pink ward unless I'm facing someone like Akali or Shaco? They are visible and I already have three wards from Sightstone.

To deny vision.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It lasts forever until it's found. Knowing where the other team is not is a lot of times as good as knowing where they are

and yeah denying vision

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

Post a replay or a youtube video of a game you would like to get tips from

What is your goal for playing ranked? Do you want to be silver, gold, something else?

What role do you main?

Can you post a link to one of your games from the league website so we can see item builds and other statistics?

I would like to reach Gold V in an ideal world but I'm starting to think that might not be a realistic expectation. I'd be happy to leave bronze this season. I have settled on support with Nautilus being my primary. I'm gonna give Blitz/Janna/others a try in some normals to get some depth to my roster.

Here is an average win. http://www.replay.gg/search/na/arrgy#2110171201

Here is a loss. http://www.replay.gg/search/na/arrgy#2111100534

Here is my op.gg http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=arrgy

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I would like to reach Gold V in an ideal world but I'm starting to think that might not be a realistic expectation. I'd be happy to leave bronze this season. I have settled on support with Nautilus being my primary. I'm gonna give Blitz/Janna/others a try in some normals to get some depth to my roster.

Here is an average win. http://www.replay.gg/search/na/arrgy#2110171201

Here is a loss. http://www.replay.gg/search/na/arrgy#2111100534

Here is my op.gg http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=arrgy

the issue with sunfire last is not that sunfire is a bad item on nautilus, it is that by the time you get it the amount of damage it does is largely irrelevant. a randuins would be much better for the CC, and also in another game i noticed you built sunfire rather than getting 40% CDR. 40¤ CDR is way more important than like 40 magic damage per second, being reduced heavily because your build does not have abyssal scepter.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'll watch these when I get home, might be a bit since in waiting on pc parts and then I have to put it all together so it might be closer to late night.

However, if you are in bronze I would definitely recommend any role other than bronze. It's totally a fine role gold and up, but anything lower than gold v (and even most of gold) you are not going to be a good enough support to single handedly carry games unless your lane partner is a smurf or something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Someone coach me. I am stupid and convinced I can outplay everyone at my own elo, which is true but ends up with that mother fucker the jungler ganking me. Which is bullshit. I'm like 80% against my lane opponent and like 10% against the jungler. The rest of the time I kill them both but that's not always viable.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Where is the last 10%

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Also, Eye of the Equinox is pretty much always better than FotM, so you should have 4 wards! And that gives you an extra slot for pinks late.

And yeah, especially as Naut denying vision is huge. Also, hard to take objectives when they have vision!

In a 30 minute game you placed 14 wards and killed 5, bought no pinks etc. As a point of comparison, in a similar length game, I generally place closer to 40 wards and deny ~10 or 15, just at a plat level. You should always be placing wards to prep for objectives mid/late, and during lane you should be warding your lane, the dragon when necessary, and coordinate with your solo/jg to ward mid as well.

Some things to do with pinks:

1) on blue side during lane, but them in your tri, closer to your tower. When the enemy contests the pink, call your jungler (basically, if they spot it) and have them gank for free kills.
2) ward the bush to the side of your mid laner, between mid and bot, to give them free roams (in conjunction with sweeping river) and protect them from ganks.
3) ward dragon/baron so that the enemy team doesn't know if you're doing it, so you can either take it safely or so you can stack in a bush and bait them in.
4) drop one in a lane bush so that your jungler can sneak in and gank from lane for you
5) drop it in a bush near mid so you can roam up
6) place it in approaches to objectives, especially the bush over dragon wall, over baron wall, and the banana bush so that your opponents can't get to them safely.

and so on and so forth! Pink wards are incredibly powerful, and you should be buying them every back. At the end of the day, a 6th support item late game is going to make a lot less of a difference than getting the initiative and being able to burst someone from fog of war (especially as Naut or blitz).

In general with warding you want to be getting deep wards into the enemy jungle to facilitate invades/tower pushes and catch people in the jungle as they rotate from one lane to another, as well as warding defensively and to give your team a vision line as they push. Wards are absolutely an offensive tool as well as defensive, especially when you're playing a support with strong pick like Naut or Blitz.

I've got half an hour free, so I'll look over your replay real quick and see if I can give some feedback. Support's really fun imo, and it's how I climbed out of silver way back when! It's also a role that changes a lot as you learn more about the game and get better, and figure out roam timings/how to play the macro game, on top of fighting and what not. A lot of responsibility/cooperation required, but played well you can really have an enormous impact.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
i have had so much fun doing support bard the last few games, it's just been super chill and relaxing, especially when high as a kite

man this is p good

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Congratulations, without looking at builds or games, we found a big reason you'll never leave b5

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Dead Man's Plate is super good on Nautilus as well

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The Crusher posted:

Please let this new teaser be Taric. I'm so ready to see his Glorious new look.

It's for the dragon that is replacing Ao Shin.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Congratulations, without looking at builds or games, we found a big reason you'll never leave b5

to be fair my man i would never buy pink wards even when i was regularly going up against d1s

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Luna Was Here posted:

Where is the last 10%

Me having a teammate show up. It's probably lower than that tho

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

rabidsquid posted:

Someone coach me. I am stupid and convinced I can outplay everyone at my own elo, which is true but ends up with that mother fucker the jungler ganking me. Which is bullshit. I'm like 80% against my lane opponent and like 10% against the jungler. The rest of the time I kill them both but that's not always viable.

Just play anivia and kill the jungler when he comes.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Ok maybe this is an ~unpopular opinion~ but I don't think any amount of warding is going to help in bronze because most players that low don't know how to react to movement they see on the map

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pog boyfriend posted:

to be fair my man i would never buy pink wards even when i was regularly going up against d1s

I feel like at bronze wards are even more useful though. Jungle pathing, lane match ups,lane freezing, objective timers and towers, literally anything that isn't "HERE IS A WARD SEE THE ENEMY CHAMPION?" In bronze is almost useless.

Luna Was Here posted:

Ok maybe this is an ~unpopular opinion~ but I don't think any amount of warding is going to help in bronze because most players that low don't know how to react to movement they see on the map

At that elo it's not about how to react, it's just literally giving them an indicator on their map so they see it.they probably won't properly back off or push where they should, but at least they'll see it.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

foutre posted:

Tons of words on warding.

40+ wards seems like so many. I'll start giving pinks a try and try and remember to constantly refresh my sightstone wards. 14 is a long way from 40.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kashuno posted:

To be fair Methanar has bought 0 pink wards in his last 16 SR games. I checked when he posted that pic of him getting crushed on LIss. He's D5. There were games when he was support.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Safety Scissors posted:

To be fair Methanar has bought 0 pink wards in his last 16 SR games. I checked when he posted that pic of him getting crushed on LIss. He's D5.

I've bought 3 pinks since they stopped being a trinket option.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Methanar posted:

I've bought 3 pinks since they stopped being a trinket option.

Will you be my ADC?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually kinda curious tho, is thunder lords on nautilus the norm?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
You should buy a pink ward every back regardless of what role you are playing if you have 75g

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Kashuno posted:

I feel like at bronze wards are even more useful though. Jungle pathing, lane match ups,lane freezing, objective timers and towers, literally anything that isn't "HERE IS A WARD SEE THE ENEMY CHAMPION?" In bronze is almost useless.

At that elo it's not about how to react, it's just literally giving them an indicator on their map so they see it.they probably won't properly back off or push where they should, but at least they'll see it.

The thing is, they don't see it. Even if you removed the fog of war completely for them, they wouldn't bother looking at it. You are vastly overestimating the ability of true bronze players.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Methanar posted:

Just play anivia and kill the jungler when he comes.

This honestly appeals to me.

Kashuno posted:

I'm actually kinda curious tho, is thunder lords on nautilus the norm?

No you get grasp bc it's a shitload of damage on him.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

This was the last game I played, and it's not super representative because the enemy team picked Warwick like dickheads so the only thing that can stop me was unavailable: http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2109842394/211473482?tab=overview

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wards are extremely useful if just for keeping your own rear end alive. Rather than worrying about the pubbies not seeing it worry about your own vision and control.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Champion.gg lied to me then. RIP

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

However, if you are in bronze I would definitely recommend any role other than bronze.

This is sound advice.
Also if you want to play support in bronze, I recommend a mage support that has some fighting power on their own
Or Janna.
Chances are in your elo if you just auto the enemy adc you'll do more damage in a game than your adc.
So play Bard is basically what I'm saying.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

This was the last game I played, and it's not super representative because the enemy team picked Warwick like dickheads so the only thing that can stop me was unavailable: http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2109842394/211473482?tab=overview

Warwick is still played? All I do is buy qss and proceed to ignore him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kashuno posted:

you are expecting bronze players to not have retarded tunnel vision and/or not be 5manning mid all of the time thus invalidating wards

• Locked thread