Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

smellmycheese posted:

You'll poo poo yourself (on your onboard toilet)

The ship I got stuck with doesn't have a toilet I don't think.

I better throw down another $2,500 to upgrade. I mean after all, 2.0 is going so well.

e: page snipe shark

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuctifino posted:

:pgabz: I have a project for you. Snip out everything from 10FTC apart from the aaah's, uums, kinda, like, sort of, you know etc.

That's not a project that's a punishment :lol:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

please take one for the team

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

The ship I got stuck with doesn't have a toilet I don't think.

I better throw down another $2,500 to upgrade. I mean after all, 2.0 is going so well.

e: page snipe shark

what kind of catte is that friend?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

You can do it commando. It is the worst type of punishment o7

The end video will be hilarious :yarg:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

I, er, um, you know

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuctifino posted:

You can do it commando. It is the worst type of punishment o7

The end video will be hilarious imo :yarg:

For gently caress sake I am going to end up doing this ha ha, OK, I am going in

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Every time he flies across the pond it is a 4K-6K$ J class fare.

And he racks up rewards miles because of it, which of course go directly to him.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

Mr.Tophat posted:

So many dismissive and passive words. Kinda. Sorta. You know. Uhhh.

"It's kinda sorta on our roadmap"

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Hah, "back-end server mesh type thing"... I imagine he means that they are looking at making the 16/24-player instance servers peer with one another to share their client/server simulation state in an attempt to increase supported player numbers per "instance" in the PU... I have full confidence that CIG will pull off this *extremely* complex and overly ambitious method of network simulation with as much skill and to as high a quality as they have the released modules so far.

According to reddit it will involve nested layers of self-organizing networks that split and merge based on some sort of spatial bubble system, which to me sounds like a larger project than actually making any sort of space video game.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
After the Starfarer, the next ship on the docket is the Reliant, which, like the Xi'an, was marketed as having multiple flight-modes. Disco Lando swoops into let people know not to expect this to actually be a thing.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319951/question-for-mr-ben-lesnick-regarding-recent-info-from-10-for-the-designers/p16

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 1, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

According to reddit it will involve nested layers of self-organizing networks that split and merge based on some sort of spatial bubble system, which to me sounds like a larger project than actually making any sort of space video game.

Exactly.

If someone could crank out that middleware they'd be a drat billionaire.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

A Neurotic Jew posted:

After the Starfarer, the next ship on the docket is the Reliant, which, like the Xi'an, was marketed as having multiple flight-modes. Disco Lando swoops into let people know not to expect this to actually be a thing.

I wonder if they'll add the functionality in a future patch like he says, before or after the private servers

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Ha... Haha... hahahaha.... hahahahahahahah! <snort>

Oh, this game is the gift that just keeps on giving. Yes, that's a huge technical undertaking, and if past performance is any indicator it'll end up never happening and in the minds of the shitizens that will be double-plus good.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFkTG9YungQ

02:26 - Very basic multiplayer support details (pt. I)
05:03 - Supporting very basic configurations
08:31 - DIscussion of one existent and one non-existent module
10:51 - E-peen support
11:23 - Non-existent ships
13:06 - Non-existent technology
17:47 - Very basic multiplayer support details (pt. II)
24:46 - Recently-added metagame specifics
27:25 - Improvements to non-existent ships
29:03 - Absolutely, unquestionably non-existent technology

Heh, so he pretty much just said/promised "all the things" and added some extra 'killing time between stool' thoughts like usual. Did he get annoyed at his loyal subjects again this time? :D

I quite like to believe that once in a while, he gets so annoyed at having to answer 'cherry picked' questions while pretending to be honest, that after the recording, he goes into his marble bathroom, and cracks off an angry wank over an old signed photo of David Braben while crying about 'customer pressure'. :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I figured they'd gently caress that ship over as well. Had somewhat of a cool feature, with the rotating wing and the rotating cockpit. I'm sure that rear end in a top hat that eliminates those features along with the chair in the back office with the red stapler will be dealt with.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319951/question-for-mr-ben-lesnick-regarding-recent-info-from-10-for-the-designers/p16

starmarined

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Romes128 posted:

what kind of catte is that friend?

Is atlantic saltwater ocean catte, sometimes called the "nurse shark"

They also like to hide in holes and nap all day and are basically the best.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Cobblers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFkTG9YungQ&t=843s

Wait, procedurally generated birds is actually a thing? I genuinely thought I'd made that up.

gently caress everything about this.
EDIT: I like that the gameplay will be emergent though, that's a plus.

lol its real, someone submitted a question asking if the game would have birds, and he did that whole look where hes thinking about it for a second before stating that yes, yes the game now has birds :lol:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I figured they'd gently caress that ship over as well. Had somewhat of a cool feature, with the rotating wing and the rotating cockpit. I'm sure that rear end in a top hat that eliminates those features along with the chair in the back office with the red stapler will be dealt with.

this is how it is going to go isn't it? Not with a bang but a whimper. Features gently removed, ships nerfed, promises broken, as things are folded slowly into the "alpha"with the vague promise that it might change later. Like a boiled frog the Whales slowly realise that the crappy world of the alpha actually is indeed the final game

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

what happens if i just type 'cat' ?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

How does anyone take this idiot seriously?

Look at the current "game" status: it's less than 1/10th completed, ships jitter like they have Parkinson's, the FPS portion is pure jank, and his entire portfolio since Wing Commander consists of games taken away from his creative control.

Oh, and Wing Commander: The Movie.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Does it bother anyone else that you can't manually deploy landing gear? How annoying is it to be near a surface and hear 'gear down, gear up' as you move around?!

Another occasion where CIG could take a page from Elite's book.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

redwalrus posted:

lol its real, someone submitted a question asking if the game would have birds, and he did that whole look where hes thinking about it for a second before stating that yes, yes the game now has birds :lol:

i erm uh yeah I erm yeah in the future yeah um

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

redwalrus posted:

He had already committed to birds in January.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

cHeCK oUt the PoSt bELoW!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Just like that

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Sisyphus posted:

cHeCK oUt the PoSt bELoW!!

Someone with talent do him puppet mastering :lesnick:.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

redwalrus posted:

I'd heard he'd promised birds (because of course he did), but actually procedurally generated ones? This smacks of levels of fidelity hitherto undreamed of and I shall be buying back in with a completionist pack.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Just like that

LOL

e: needs more fez ;-)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cobblers posted:

I'd heard he'd promised birds (because of course he did), but actually procedurally generated ones? This smacks of levels of fidelity hitherto undreamed of and I shall be buying back in with a completionist pack.

http://i.imgur.com/qbXqpU6.gifv

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Barnsy posted:

Does it bother anyone else that you can't manually deploy landing gear? How annoying is it to be near a surface and hear 'gear down, gear up' as you move around?!

Another occasion where CIG could take a page from Elite's book.

Of course it's dumb. It means that either your legs will automatically deploy whenever you're near a surface, or the game will decide what surfaces you can and cannot land on and simply refuse to enter landing mode near the bad ones. And for vertical ships like the ones they discussed it's particularly egregious because they'll be significantly further away from the ground before landing mode is engaged.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cobblers posted:

is the bird in your av procedural? it's pretty fidelitous

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I don't know about the rest of you fine folk, but I'm getting the impression this game might not live up to its expectations.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Maybe he's legitimately mentally challenged?

I'll feel kind of bad if we find out he has Down's Syndrome or something and we have been making fun of him all this time...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

I don't know about the rest of you fine folk, but I'm getting the impression this game might not live up to its expectations.

burn the heretic!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Catching-up post… and to celebrate, let's make it all effort-posting.

Loiosh posted:

One small note on energy weapons, is that they would have recoil based on how powerful they are. I'm not excusing shittiness here, just some information on general relativity. I think a lot of people would be surprised to know that energy is mass. What does that mean practically?

[…]

Basically, any energy weapon that had enough force to do impact damage to solid objects would have some amount of recoil. Lasers in fact have a tiny, but measurable, recoil when in operation.

I think that the trick is that, for almost any type of what we consider an “energy weapon” (particle beam, plasma, even most types of directed radiation beams) it makes some intuitive sense that they have recoil since they are, in fact, throwing matter in one direction through some means, which means you get a regular recoil. It's lasers that trip people up due to photons having no (rest) mass. The trick is, of course, that even without rest mass, they still impart momentum of p = E/c = h/λ and that as always, this momentum has to be preserved by recoiling in the other direction.

But that's where the scales of comparison get really wonky. If you're looking to get the same kind of momentum that you'd get from a 5.56mm bullet, you need something on the order of E=1.5GJ (or λ=1.3×10⁻³⁴, i.e. a wave length of less than 10 Planck lengths). Of course, such a weapon wouldn't really do damage through the pitiful impact, but through pumping all that energy into a the target's tissue in order to ruin their day. At 1.5GJ, you're likely to just send the poor soul back in time instead… :eng101:

…then again, you'll probably not use a single photon, which will scale things back a bit.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I forgot where I heard about it but there was one functional universe where people were adorned with surrounded by clouds nanites that formed whatever shape was desired. So not even "clothes" in the traditional sense.

I think it would have been amazing to have CIG go to various fashion schools and talk to the teachers and say "we're making a video game set 900 years in the future, and people can wear pretty much whatever they want" and then have them challenge their students to make some really fascinating stuff based on the limitations of the software. It's the perfect opportunity to go as costume as you want, and Chris Rock's attire is a perfect example of how out there and amazing you could get.

I really like the idea of combining a universal functional core with wildly disparate accessories depending on where the person was from or what they supported. So everyone starts off with a basic functional jumpsuit but then adds whatever they want to establish their identity. Alternatively if personal force fields were a thing then there wouldn't even need to be jump suits; in the event of a breach your force field pops on and you have a supply of air while you wait for rescue and then it doesn't matter what you're wearing.

There's also the other (almost exact opposite) way you could go: make history repeat itself much like it does in other sci-fi, and borrow from some interesting era. Lynch's Dune took a varied approach depending on culture — it was more regency or Edwardian era, depending on the house, with some proper space rubber for the Harkonnen and the guild. DX:HR suggested we'd have neo-renaissance clothing in 2030. There's plenty of fun past styles to crib from that would make things different, yet interesting and believable without going much over-board. SC is set in space-Rome, so why not take the clothing cues from Rome as well? From there, it's just a matter how you want to represent each social stratum in the grimdark futuristic setting.

E.g. the higher orders wear hugely impractical (but impressive) space togas that require an increasingly large entourage to keep running and not snag on anything — the size of the entourage and the complexity of the toga is a direct signal of your status and wealth. At the other end of the spectrum, the gutter trash will be lucky if they even have what's considered actual clothes — it's more a matter of being wrapped in supermarket-branded food packaging than anything, and hoping it won't biodegrade at a most embarrassing and inopportune moment. Between the two, the jumps in wealth and strata are so massive that what we'd see very little of what we'd consider “good clothing” — that segment is almost entirely skipped. The regular joe would be delivered his daily work suit in the 3d-printing slot that delivers anything else, and he certainly does not have the credits to upgrade to, you know, a shirt and pants. So it's an ugly, one-size-fits-all, branded coverall for him, and it has to be returned to the recycling system at the end of the day or he'll have a demerit in the system that means he'll have to downgrade his lunch from gruel to slop as punishment. Too many demerits and the printing slot will be suspended.

The only people who'd actually have something that resembles what we have today is the aforementioned entourage: they have to look like they're a step up (or five) from regular plebs, but you obviously can't dress them in space togas (they lack the social standing, and it would defeat the purpose anyway).

So basically what CCP has been wanting to do for the last 10 years but not actually managed because it turns out that dynamically splitting and merging grids, and moving the simulations of them around in the server cluster without creating very noticeable and potentially game-breaking hard stops in the gameplay during the switch-over, is really loving hard.

And say what you want about CCP's ability to create sensible server code, but they've still been at it since the turn of the century and they've actually created some pretty ingenious solutions, both in hardware and in software to deal with their problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

[24:49] KuruptU4Fun 1 asks: In the new Jump Point there is mention of an update that will bring the ability to lower your wanted level by hacking a console. There will also be a need to defend it while that hack completes. What portions of FPS will need to be finalized and implemented for that update?

quote:

Chris: Well nothing really: that's all in 2.2

So what we’re doing, I think I’ve mentioned this quite a few times, is on the FPS side we have a whole bunch of features and weapons that we’re just methodically going through and enabling. A lot of it is content related: so getting the animations polished before we feel like they are ready for everyone to see or use, and the same on the assets. And some of it is making some of the mechanics work or move a little better. So we’ve got things vaulting, like going vaulting over obstacles and stuff, that isn’t going to be in 2.2 but it will be in 2.3 for instance.

And so what we’ve been doing is knocking off the cover mechanic; things like prone or crouching; and various things in 2.2. We have physicalised EVA which is actually really cool: you get a real sense of inertia; you have to be a bit more wary in tight areas because we’re actually properly simulating so it is like flying around a spaceship in a tight area: you don’t really want to bang up against things because it will give you a bit of an impulse. But when you get it down I think it cooler and more exhilarating and we’ll be adding more and more things that will make that cooler.

So that’s just our plan: we’re continually adding more and more functionality to FPS. Our goal is the FPS is going to be very comparative to to other FPS’s out there that have a whole bunch of cool detail and accuracy. So we’re not really aiming to be a simplified “run and gun” shooter we’re actually aiming to be much more tactical and considered, and have that reflect in a lot of the FPS mechanics. So there will be a lot of options and things you can do, and stances, and actions, and ultimately it will have the ability to do parkour with sliding and vaulting over stuff and ledge grabbing and all of the rest of the stuff.

So that’s all on the roadmap. We’ve captured animations for all of it. We’re slowly churning through the thousands of animations and hooking it up and making sure the animation blending works and all the various things you have to worry about to make it work well. But I’m pretty confident that when it’s all said and done it will be actually pretty drat cool.

VaultMarine and his Insanely Cool Parkour Adventure, coming to 2.3 in 2 weeks :frogc00l:

• Locked thread