Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

I'm looking at the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series for a laptop to use in my downtime at work (which there is a lot of). I'm mainly going to use it for some moderate "gaming", meaning i want to be able to play stuff but don't really need maxed out graphics or anything. It looks like an i5 processor with a 960M GPU is about $650 and an i7 with the same GPU is about $750. Is it worth that extra hundred bucks to get an i7? Not really planning on playing the latest games or anything on this. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

no

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Fruit Chewy posted:

Is there any chance that someone here owns an old Vaio P (yes the weird small wide one)? I'm really curious how it runs with w10 or a stripped Linux distro as a backpack-able web browser. I'm not a huge fan of always carrying my Chromebook Pixel.

I have an ASUS netbook with a single-core Atom and it runs Windows 10 tolerably well, although there is a noticeable delay when doing lots of things compared to more capable machines. It would probably be more responsive with something like Lubuntu but I don't think it's any slower than it was with 7. I did add a 64GB SSD a few years back and that helps massively.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

myschef posted:

I'm looking at the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series for a laptop to use in my downtime at work (which there is a lot of). I'm mainly going to use it for some moderate "gaming", meaning i want to be able to play stuff but don't really need maxed out graphics or anything. It looks like an i5 processor with a 960M GPU is about $650 and an i7 with the same GPU is about $750. Is it worth that extra hundred bucks to get an i7? Not really planning on playing the latest games or anything on this. Thanks.

In the mobile SKUs, i7s are just slightly higher clocked/binned i5s for the most part. They both generally get the same HT capabilities and such.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Ars actually posted a pretty good article on understanding the Intel CPU lineup today: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/pentium-core-i5-core-i7-making-sense-of-intels-convoluted-cpu-lineup/

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hadlock posted:

Someone here is going to chime in about the < 4% performance decrease in memory speed by running unmatched sticks but unless you're doing computer AI or memory-bound computer vision at 240fps or something, my experiences with mismatched memory has been just fine with no perceptable difference. You may see a 1-2fps drop in graphically complex games. It's better to have more mismatched ram than less ram in my opinion.

My buddy ran 3 sticks of RAM in his desktop and it ran great until it didn't. Took him ages to discover it was mismatched RAM causing the problem, after he took out one stick everything worked perfectly again.

Granted this is a laptop that would be running two sticks that we're talking about now, but use mismatched RAM at your own peril.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Ars actually posted a pretty good article on understanding the Intel CPU lineup today: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/pentium-core-i5-core-i7-making-sense-of-intels-convoluted-cpu-lineup/

Added this to the OP, thanks! :hf:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fruit Chewy posted:

In the mobile SKUs, i7s are just slightly higher clocked/binned i5s for the most part. They both generally get the same HT capabilities and such.

Not those ones - for the Inspiron 15 7000 the i5 is a quad core without HT and the i7 is a quad core with HT

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

dissss posted:

Not those ones - for the Inspiron 15 7000 the i5 is a quad core without HT and the i7 is a quad core with HT

Ah, you're absolutely right. My bad. My mind always jumps to the dual core SKUs for some reason, should have checked what he was specifically looking at.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
That 960M is what'll be holding you back from True MLG status, not your processor. I'd stick with the i5.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Prioritizing processor speed in a laptop doesn't seem worthwhile until you have to sit there and wait an extra 2 or 3 seconds for the 32 millionth decimal place of pi to be calculated.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Processor speed is a pretty big factor in simulation games

That said, most people doing flight sims are using desktops. And the Cities: Skylines crowd aren't really the flashy gaming laptop type.

Outside of those two use cases, yeah, processor speed for console ports really isn't that important any more.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Processor speed is a pretty big factor in simulation games

That said, most people doing flight sims are using desktops. And the Cities: Skylines crowd aren't really the flashy gaming laptop type.

Outside of those two use cases, yeah, processor speed for console ports really isn't that important any more.

I agree that people should match their laptop to their extremely niche usage scenario.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Had the thunderbolt dock for my XPS15 for 5 days and I'm returning it. It's a massive pile of poo poo that flat out just doesn't work. It's a crap shoot as to whether or not ANY devices are detected when I plug in the connection. I can't even reliability get it to detect an external monitor. When it does detect it, it'll, show an image for 10 seconds and then blank out again. I've updated every driver and every firmware that's listed on the site but it doesn't matter. For $399 it's a travesty that they thought they could put this on the market. Also, when it is connected, the fans on the notebook run at full tilt for some reason.

It doesn't give me a ton of confidence for thunderbolt 3 in general either.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just want to say thanks to the thread for helping me out with that Inspiron a week or two ago, I finally got it and all of the part upgrades set up this weekend and this thing is p sweet. First new computer in over five years!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm looking for a laptop where I can play some modded Skyrim, maybe Half Life 2 and some other games I missed like Looper and whatever the most recent GTA is (the one after Niko!) and some other poo poo that would be fun. I'd be fine being on the lower end of that power if the price is right. Just some prices and platforms, if I need to wait a few years, that is OK.

I'm feeling 650-1600 range, ideally around 800 (you know, bestest cheapest).

Edit: I like the idea of Dwarf Fortress but I've never really been "into" it but a computer that can play it would be great.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 29, 2016

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So I'm in kind of a strange place with my computer, and I'm looking for some advice. Since I bought it new in 2010, my only computer has been an ASUS UL50VT. I used it for everything from recording music to streaming hockey through my TV to taking online college classes and playing Bad Company 2 with Goons. But since the screen's died for the second time I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade.

My conundrum is this: I know you can build a desktop and get way better performance for the price than a laptop, but I really like the convenience of a laptop. It seems kinda dumb to spend a lot of money on a "do everything" laptop when it won't be as good as a desktop. Is it reasonable to buy a $400-$500 laptop just to do schoolwork and light gaming like Minecraft/FTL and spend another $500-$600 to build a desktop? Or is that just kinda the worst of both worlds?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Brettbot posted:

So I'm in kind of a strange place with my computer, and I'm looking for some advice. Since I bought it new in 2010, my only computer has been an ASUS UL50VT. I used it for everything from recording music to streaming hockey through my TV to taking online college classes and playing Bad Company 2 with Goons. But since the screen's died for the second time I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade.

My conundrum is this: I know you can build a desktop and get way better performance for the price than a laptop, but I really like the convenience of a laptop. It seems kinda dumb to spend a lot of money on a "do everything" laptop when it won't be as good as a desktop. Is it reasonable to buy a $400-$500 laptop just to do schoolwork and light gaming like Minecraft/FTL and spend another $500-$600 to build a desktop? Or is that just kinda the worst of both worlds?

If you shift the budgets around slightly that's actually one of the best things you can do. I'd grab a 300-400 chromebook of your choice to throw in your backpack and such, and then drop like $700 on building a very capable desktop.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Fruit Chewy posted:

If you shift the budgets around slightly that's actually one of the best things you can do. I'd grab a 300-400 chromebook of your choice to throw in your backpack and such, and then drop like $700 on building a very capable desktop.

Hmm, what about something like the Asus F554LA-NH51? You can find them for just under $400 on Amazon. Core i5 5200U 2.2ghz, 4GB of RAM (soldered in, sadly).

I mean, I guess I shouldn't be too worried about what I get. I think anything will be better than the six year old one I have now.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I've been out of the loop for awhile. Can I get a windows laptop in the $500 range that will play Minecraft, League of Legends and TF2 reasonably well? Possibly something that could be upgraded down the road?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Withnail posted:

I've been out of the loop for awhile. Can I get a windows laptop in the $500 range that will play Minecraft, League of Legends and TF2 reasonably well? Possibly something that could be upgraded down the road?

You can't "upgrade" a laptop other than installing a bigger HD or SSD and adding RAM (and in some cases you can't even do that...)

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You can't "upgrade" a laptop other than installing a bigger HD or SSD and adding RAM (and in some cases you can't even do that...)

I'm under the gun for a birthday present, so I ordered this with the idea to get a SSD later on. Please chime in if there's better option for my limited price range

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012IBODT2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Brettbot posted:

That is actually the best of both worlds. With a cheap $220 netbook you can RDP in to your desktop around the house if you need extra oomph for something.

And then spend the rest of your budget on a gaming PC, yeah.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
[quote="Withnail" post="456876037"]
I'm under the gun for a birthday present, so I ordered this with the idea to get a SSD later on. Please chime in if there's better option for my limited price range

It's a plasticky piece of poo poo that's 17 inches for $600. I'm hard pressed to think of a worse option.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Withnail posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012IBODT2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It has a decent display at least. It's not terrible. The battery life will be under 2 hours though.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone here have any experience buying a Surface Pro 4 through the Microsoft Education store? They seem to ask for your educational institution, but as far as I can tell they don't ask for any verification beyond that. Do you have to send in your transcripts, or something? :confused:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

It's a plasticky piece of poo poo that's 17 inches for $600. I'm hard pressed to think of a worse option.

Yeah I know, I'm looking for a cheap laptop so a 12 year old can stay up all night at his friend's house and play minecraft. He's not getting an alienware or a macbook. He doesn't hang out at starbucks all afternoon. If there's a significantly better cheap laptop for those needs, please share your expertise.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Withnail posted:

Yeah I know, I'm looking for a cheap laptop so a 12 year old can stay up all night at his friend's house and play minecraft. He's not getting an alienware or a macbook. He doesn't hang out at starbucks all afternoon. If there's a significantly better cheap laptop for those needs, please share your expertise.

Right, but if that's the usecase then you could just get a $300 computer with a decent display and battery life that won't weigh a half dozen pounds. I'm saying you're overspending, not underspending.

If you wanted a good computer that'll last in that 6-700 price range I'd grab an asus zenbook. Otherwise pick up a refurb or used t440p for a better, more durable, and cheaper computer.

Kids will destroy laptops. You'll want either a nice warranty with accidental damage, or a computer that won't fall apart.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

melon cat posted:

Does anyone here have any experience buying a Surface Pro 4 through the Microsoft Education store? They seem to ask for your educational institution, but as far as I can tell they don't ask for any verification beyond that. Do you have to send in your transcripts, or something? :confused:

You don't have to send in any transcripts or anything. They really don't care.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Withnail posted:

Look into a refurb Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge Thinkpad (T420/430 14", X420/430 12") or Latitude (E6320 12", E6340 14") and it will have enough integrated graphics power to run most games at low settings (or Minecraft at whatever settings, I assume) and will have a durable metal frame that's not too heavy. Your total cost after it's all done could end up under $400 depending on what you pick. Newegg has a pretty good selection last time I looked.

You can step up to a Haswell system like the T440p mentioned by The Iron Rose to improve graphics and battery life, but it will cost more. This is good enough for a kid to get their feet wet with their own machine and isn't compromising performance much like a netbook would.

I got an Ivy Bridge E6320 for $200 a month or so ago and for less than $100 additional upgraded it to 8GB of memory, an Intel dual-band Wi-Fi/BT card, and an SSD. It's not really that much less functional than the $1500 13" Macbook Pro (Haswell) that I have as a work laptop, it just has a much worse screen and only around 50-70% of the battery life. That sounds bad, but I'm happy with it considering the cost difference.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 1, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

melon cat posted:

Generally all you need for an educational discount is an .edu email address, a willingness to circumvent the system, and a pulse. I don't think Lenovo offers an educational discount (or it's terrible) , which is why we don't really cover that here. Apple EDU discounts are usually l usually worth $150 or more on laptops.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

loving Lenovo - I've been waiting since the January announcement for them to release the x260, now they finally release it you can't yet select an 1080p screen option, "early March" they said last month, "early April" they say this month.

Just venting, but they sure make it easy to hate everything about their store waiting for the routine yearly refresh!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
How dumb is it to get a Fangbook from CyberpowerPC?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone used Toshiba business machines like the z20t? http://www.notebookcheck.net/Toshiba-Portege-Z20t-B-Convertible-Review.140840.0.html

Seeing some for about £700 ($1000) refurb. Looks a better bet than a lot of the other convertibles I've seen.

Wild Bill
Oct 4, 2001
Looking to pick up a personal laptop to take along on work trips, as well as usable as an only laptop for vacations. Main usage would be web browsing/Netflix with light gaming such as Minesweeper, Freecell, Nethack or equivalents.

The only real curve ball is I'd like to see about throwing Netbeans or Eclipse on it and do some minor coding (class project level stuff, data parsing and manipulation, etc).

The cheap Asus from the OP (or a chromebook running Ubuntu) meets the minimum software requirements, but I'm not really sure if beating the minimum is enough.

Being cheap and semi-disposable as well as light and portable is kind of a plus, but am I going to kick myself later on if I don't go out and buy something with a 1920x1080 screen, more RAM, etc? Anyone have experience coding on a bargain basement pc?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Withnail posted:

It's too big. If it's above 15.6'' (14'' for something that's supposed to be very portable) it's a boat anchor and not a laptop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wild Bill posted:

Being cheap and semi-disposable as well as light and portable is kind of a plus, but am I going to kick myself later on if I don't go out and buy something with a 1920x1080 screen, more RAM, etc? Anyone have experience coding on a bargain basement pc?

You're going to regret a bad screen more than anything else so make that your first priority

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Looking at the Lenovo Yoga's, they're very tempting especially over my friends' recommending me iPads and Surface Pros.

The only thing preventing me pulling the trigger is a slight confusion over which model the thread recommends due to being in Australia and the model numbers not quite matching up.

I'm just looking for something that'll do the train trip to uni and back, and do decent note taking + researching without going flat immediately.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cassa posted:

Looking at the Lenovo Yoga's, they're very tempting especially over my friends' recommending me iPads and Surface Pros.

The only thing preventing me pulling the trigger is a slight confusion over which model the thread recommends due to being in Australia and the model numbers not quite matching up.

I'm just looking for something that'll do the train trip to uni and back, and do decent note taking + researching without going flat immediately.

Lenovo Yogas are in a weird place, where they are plasticky pieces of poo poo but with sometimes decent guts for the price. If you are specifically looking for a portable note taking and light computing machine that doesn't also do gaming, buy a previous-generation thinkpad (X/T/W series) with a 1920*1080 screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got a couple Dell Latitude E6440's at work and started using one. i5, 8GB, 1080p screen that's actually really good...

Wouldn't be my first choice for a laptop but it's a pretty solid machine. Threw an 850 EVO in there and I'm pretty happy with it. But it won't leave my desk much less the building often. They were $800 but 'free' through some sort of UPS program where if you ship X amount of dollars with them they give you a bunch of money to buy certain technology products and they pay for it.