Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
OK I will definitely get child of light and Rayman at those prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

greatn posted:

OK I will definitely get child of light and Rayman at those prices

If you mean Rayman Legends, yes, that's a great choice, but please do not buy Rayman Origins for the 3DS. I'm not even sure you were thinking about doing that, but I just want you to be safe.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You need a full on magnifying glass to be able to play Rayman Origins on 3DS. No joke, there's a demo so you can see for yourself.

Rayman Legends is legit one of the best 2D platformers ever done, and they included most of Origins levels in it too.

I really liked Child of Light, too, but some people will say they didn't like the prose (as a non-native English speaker, I love that sort of thing, though). Music, art, and the battle system on the hardest difficulty were standouts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh hell yes, finally, the Wii U versions of Assasin's Creed III and IV and Watch Dogs are on sale!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
WATCH_DOGS*

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

less laughter posted:

You really want to pet Olaf don't you

you don't?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Shadow Wars was supposed to be good, but what about Splinter Cell 3D?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fix posted:

Shadow Wars was supposed to be good, but what about Splinter Cell 3D?

It's a very barebones port. No multiplayer, has 3D support, that's about it. If you have never played Chaos Theory or just want it portable it's a good pick (it's a fine stealth game), otherwise, not really.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Buying the poo poo out of Legends. For anyone that doesn't know, it has almost all the levels from Rayman Origins too so that's a crazy steal.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't like the touch screen levels in Legends and how many of them there are, I feel like it drags the game down a lot for me

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The touch screen levels are fun if you have a buddy, if not whelp.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
A couple of the character unlock levels and the daily challenge stuff with it could be fun too because the AI character would actually run along at a decent clip instead of slowly plodding away like it did in the rest of the touch screen stages. When it actually let you build up a decent pace and rhythm it was pretty fun. But yeah, for the most part it's a slog that takes up too much of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

I don't like the touch screen levels in Legends and how many of them there are, I feel like it drags the game down a lot for me

They are optional and dont affect progress. Ignore them if you just wanna play through the game.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If I loved Assassin's Creed 2 (just 2) and couldn't stand 3, should I splurge $10 on 4?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I dont know the version quality, but ACIV is leagues (:haw:) better.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
IV is like the Wind Waker of Assassins Creeds.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Play Assassin's Creed IV. It's a major departure from the series, and I liked it a lot. It's basically Pirate Simulator 2013. You roam around a quite large chunk of the Caribbean on your kickass pirate boat, and you have like a "playlist" of sea shanties that you can force your crew to sing for you as background music. One of the collectibles you can find in the world is pages of sheet music that you pick up to learn more sea shanties for the playlist. You get into fights with other ships, which you can either sink and pick up the pieces, or you can grapple onto them and get into a sweet brawl where you take the ship over and capture it for your fleet.

There's a zillion little islands around that you can go explore, and they all have some kind of collectible on them. Some of them are more involved, like ancient ruins and stuff. There's a whole whaling minigame where you go out in a fuckin rowboat and get into an extremely personal fight with a whale or shark using hand-thrown harpoons.

There's an idle game built in where you use the loot you've stolen from enemy ships, and the ships you've captured from your free-roaming piracy games, to fuel your massive global trade empire. It's a little less obtuse than the one from AC3, and you don't have to babysit your ships. You do have to play a really boring rock-paper-scissors RPG battle all the time to make your trade routes "safe" before you dispatch a mission, though.

I liked it a lot. The "modern day" portion has you playing as an Abstergo game developer in first-person segments that take place in the office. I'm way jealous of how sweet the setup there is, and if it's based on Ubisoft's IRL game studios, then I think I need to move to Montreal.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Next week's JP VC releases: Contra Hard Spirits (Alien Wars EX, GBA), Shining Soul 2 (GBA)

Shining Soul 2 is a fun lootgame entry in the Shining series developed by the team at Grasshopper Manufacture that would later make Contact for DS. Atlus did release it in the US and they're now owned by Sega, so you'd hope it has a chance of releasing overseas.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Is anyone else having problems downloading from the eShop today? I've been trying to download Fire Emblem: Fates - Conquest all day, and it's been giving me error prompts at 99% the entire day, every error code being about connection issues, yet my network works perfectly fine.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
This has probably been brought up before in this thread but why aren't all the Virtual Console titles shown under the Virtual Console listing on the 3DS eshop? I went in there looking for Catrap and Donkey Kong for Gameboy and couldn't find either. I had to do a specific search for both to find them. I actually thought they had been discontinued or something since they didn't show up (Avenging Spirit didn't either, off the top of my head. I think a few others as well).

Also Catrap is fun. I want my 2DS to be a home for nothing but fun-in-short-bursts addictive games and it fits into that category really well. I'm also really happy that the eshop version of Megaman Collection is only $15 since a boxed copy costs $25 or so.

Are there any other hidden, not-well-known gems like Catrap I should look out for?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know why certain games aren't showing up in the listed categories but you should be using the search by default.

Most of the games on the VC are the usual high-profile games from high-profile publishers but there are some oddities and more obscure games on there... Mole Mania is a game I often recommend as it's both really good and quite obscure despite being a Nintendo-published, Miyamoto-produced game; it's the DK94 team's take on Adventures of Lolo, pretty much.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mole mania is really really good

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Tomorrow's NA VC release is Pac-Man 2

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Willo567 posted:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
That reminds me, do people like Pac-Man 2 ironically or unironically?

I thought it was OK when I played it. Not my kind of game, but it played fine and was pleasant to look at

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Willo567 posted:

hell yes

Willo567 posted:

I thought it was OK when I played it. Not my kind of game, but it played fine and was pleasant to look at

it owns

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
LOL. At least they haven't given up on the SNES Virtual Console. I was afraid SNES VC was going to dry up completely.

It's not exactly a winner, but it is a noteworthy game. If preservation is at least a side purpose of the VC, this game definitely belongs on there.

It's...innovative, at least. Innovation doesn't always lead down roads worth going.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Willo567 posted:

It's a cool game made cooler by the incongruity of Absurdly Well-Animated Pac-Man.

It's also really short and I recall the hang-glider section being pretty tough for a game that has basically no action elements until that point.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Willo567 posted:

I thought we had that already but I guess that was Europe. Oh well, can't complain if it means more people get exposed to Pac-Man being a giant rear end in a top hat.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 3):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (March 4) - €49.99 / £39.99
    SDK Spriter (demo)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Chasing Dead - €29.99 / £24.99
    Grumpy Reaper - €4.99 / £4.49
    U Host - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS) - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Trine Enchanted Edition (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £5.49 until March 10
    Trine 2 Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until March 10
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until March 17

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Musicverse Electronic Keyboard - €7.99 / £7.19
    Parascientific Escape Cruise in the Distant Seas - €4.99 / £3.99
    Excave 3: Tower of Destiny - €7.99 / £7.19
    Toy Defense - €3.99 / £3.19
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight Add-On Content (March 4)
  • The Original Sin - free until March 3, standard price €2.99 / £2.69
  • Treasures Untold - €1.99 / £1.79
    Lego Marvel Avengers - Season Pass - €9.99 / £7.99
  • Avengers Adventurer - €0.99 / £0.79
  • The Thunderbolts - €1.99 / £1.69
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pokemon Red (Game Boy, February 27) - €9.99 / £8.99
    Pokemon Blue (Game Boy, February 27) - €9.99 / £8.99
    Pokemon Yellow (Game Boy Color, February 27) - €9.99 / £8.99
3DS MENU THEMES
    Mega Man Stage Select - €1.99 / £1.79
    Mega Man vs. Dr Wily! - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £7.40 until March 10
    Witch & Hero (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 until March 10
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €2.24 / £1.85 until March 17
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - €8.99 / £7.49 until March 17
    Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - €3.49 / £3.10 until March 17
    Fairune (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 until March 17
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until March 31

NA update (week of March 3):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (March 4) - $59.99
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Chasing Dead - $29.99
    STEEL RIVALS - $6.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (SNES) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Sonic Lost World (Wii U) - $19.99 until March 7
    Assassin's Creed 3 (Wii U) - $10.00 until March 13
    Assassin's Creed 4 (Wii U) - $10.00 until March 13
    Child of Light (Wii U eShop) - $3.75 until March 13
    Cloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop) - $2.50 until March 13
    ESPN Sports Connection (Wii U) - $12.50 until March 13
    Just Dance 2015 (Wii U) - $15.00 until March 13
    Just Dance Disney Party 2 (Wii U) - $27.99 until March 13
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Wii U) - $7.50 until March 13
    Rabbids Land (Wii U) - $12.50 until March 13
    Rayman Legends (Wii U) - $10.00 until March 13
    Splinter Cell Blacklist (Wii U) - $10.00 until March 13
    Watchdogs (Wii U) - $15.00 until March 13
    Your Shape Fitness Evolved (Wii U) - $12.50 until March 13
    ZombiU (Wii U) - $14.99 until March 13

[/list]
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    The Hand of Panda - $5.99
    Parascientific Escape Cruise in the Distant Seas - $4.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Fates Map Pack 1 - $17.99, covers 11 additional maps released weekly from February 25
    Fire Emblem Fates - Ghostly Gold - $2.49, easy-gold map, difficulty *
    Fire Emblem Fates Map - Museum Melee - $2.49, good weapons map, difficulty *
3DS MENU THEMES
    Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX: Sakura Mikudaiyo - $?
    Ashley’s Magic - $?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) - $19.99 from 3PM PT March 3 to 3PM PT March 5
    Sonic Triple Trouble (3DS VC) - $2.99 until March 7
    Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS) - $9.99 until March 7
    Etrian Mystery Dungeon (3DS) - $19.99 until March 7
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - $9.99 until March 7
    Witch & Hero (3DS eShop) - "on sale" until March 7
    Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (3DS) - $7.50 until March 13
    Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets (3DS) - $20.99 until March 13
    Petz Beach (3DS) - $9.99 until March 13
    Petz Countryside (3DS) - $9.99 until March 13
    Petz Fantasy 3D (3DS) - $7.50 until March 13
    Poptronica Forgotten Islands (3DS) - $9.99 until March 13
    Rabbids Travel in Time 3D (3DS) - $7.50 until March 13
    Rayman 3D (3DS) - $7.50 until March 13
    Rayman Origins (3DS) - $7.50 until March 13
    Splinter Cell 3D (3DS) - $7.50 until March 13
    Tetris Ultimate (3DS) - $9.99 until March 13
    The Smurfs (3DS) - $20.99 until March 13
    Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3DS) - $19.99 until March 14
    Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers (3DS) - $9.99 until March 14
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf!! TOUCH (3DS eShop) - $2.24 until March 17
    Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS eShop) - $9.99 until June 1

Reminder #1: there's a Direct later today that'll probably include the "surprise" release of a digital game or two, including but not limited to Detective Pikachu, the Boxboy sequel or Lost Reavers (the Namco dungeon crawler for Wii U that the world forgot).

Reminder #2:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

This is good.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Everyone buy Pac Man 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll play Pac Man 2. I've only played OG Pac Man and Pac Man DX, but they're both fantastic games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
$60 for Twilight Princess HD? Welp, that just made the decision for me. Amazon pre-order with the Amiibo for $50. Pay less for a physical copy and an Amiibo.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Looks like 9 SNES games are coming to N3DS VC.

Just beat Earthbound on WiiU, not going to play it again on the 3DS, but some people might appreciate portable Earthbound, and things like Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Link to the Past, and DKC 1+2. Also Pilotwings and FZero.

Um...I'm counting 8. Which one did I forget.

EDIT: Super Mario Kart was the one I forgot.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 3, 2016

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I hope they don't follow the release schedule for the Wii and N64 VC when they added those where they dropped a handful at launch and now add maybe one game every couple of months

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's a long shot but I hope there's a discount for having wiiu editions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm just hoping they discount prices if you've bought on another system. I could see myself finishing Earthbound on the 3ds.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone else's feed constantly stopping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
New Kirby 3DS game.

I haven't yet played Triple Deluxe, but I want to. Is it good?